1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

Pokémon What team did you get good with?

Discussion in 'Chat' started by Roostur, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Roostur

Roostur Member

Raikou: hidden power ice
    rest
    roar
    thunder

Skarmory: drill pick
    rest
    whirl wind
    curse

Snorlax: Belly drum
    body slam
    earthquake
    rest

Marowak: Earthquake
    rock slide
    rest
    swords dance

Starmie: Rapid spin
    surf
    thunderwave
    recover

Miltank: Milk drink
    growl
    body slam
    heal bell

This team made me who I am in gen 2. I saw earthworm use this team against some guy I can't remember and decided to use it and for some reason I just thought it was amazing. It is probably my most used team out of all the teams I've used. I learned most of my gen 2 skills with this team. I told myself "if you ever lose with this team it is your fault, it is never the teams fault" . And so when I lost I would never blame the team and I would ask what went wrong and I would learn from any mistakes I made in game. And eventually I shot up the ladder on showdown and stayed there for a very long time and all the showdown guys thought I was the greatest player ever lol. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet I took pride in being number 1 on the ladder. Now I feel nothing when I'm number 1 :p . There are really good, severely underrated players on the ladder btw who would probably cause some upsets if they joined tournaments. But anyway, what team did you guys use to get good?

2. Ortheore

Ortheore Host Emeritus

Hmm, most of the teams I used when I was up and coming I've abandoned and now I don't even remember them- I could find them but it would mean sorting through a LOT of different teams to find them and I cbf looking for them. I feel that my teambuilding process and general understanding of the game is better than when I used those teams, even if my application of that knowledge (ie. playing rather than teambuilding) isn't as sharp.

Anyway, for a good while I was known for my usage of Persian. Iirc I was using a team consisting of lead/Chansey/Lap/Egg/Tauros/Persian (this was pre-Crystal mechs). I used Egg and Lap to create openings for Tauros and Persian (parafusion with Lap, no idea how Egg worked), abusing that pair throughout the midgame and endgame. It was a reasonably potent team, but quite unreliable as I was leaning heavily on parafusion. I enjoyed playing it because even then I recognised that Persian teams have a reckless, high-risk high-reward playstyle which is really fun. The lead slot initially fit with this, as I ran Gengar which I love as an aggressive exploder. Eventually I decided that opposing Gengar were too problematic, so I ran Jynx for its small chance of outright KOing Gengar.

I ended up revisiting the team, swiftly dropped Lap for Lax because it's just so much better especially with no Normal paraslam, swapped out Jynx for Hypno based on a post Lutra made on smogon where he talked about Hypno's potential to cripple Gengar- Jynx was always an awkward fit as lead since the team isn't suited for playing for the freeze. Later on I created a second version of the team with Jolt as lead, based on a discussion I had with DA where he pointed out that Jolt has a good chance of mucking up opposing sleep leads. So I've ended up with two teams that I consider tournament viable from my original team, which I brought to tours but no longer think is worth using.

Another team I used to use was a simple LapDon team, which I stopped using for a while, returned to it, only to find it absolutely awful to use, as Lap just doesn't have enough leverage vs Chansey for my liking, while Don is too difficult to use without a good partner (Bro). When I stashed this team away I thought using it was soooo intuitive and that I could just pick it up again and it would work... that didn't end too well. I ended up scrapping it, although I do use a similar team with Bro>Lap

Disaster Area and Roostur like this.
  3. Cowboy Dan

Cowboy Dan Host Emeritus

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 184 HP / 192 SpA / 92 SpD /40 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Crunch
    - Pursuit
    - Flamethrower
    - Roar

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Torrent
    EVs: 240 HP / 20 Atk / 136 Def / 28 SpA / 44 SpD / 40 Spe
    Relaxed Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Beam
    - Toxic
    - Protect

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 32 SpA / 56 SpD / 80 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Punch
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Taunt

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
    Sassy Nature
    - Hidden Power [Bug]
    - Explosion
    - Spikes
    - Rapid Spin

Dugtrio (F) @ Choice Band
    Ability: Arena Trap
    EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD / 232 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    IVs: 30 SpD / 30 Spe
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Hidden Power [Bug]
    - Aerial Ace

Blissey @ Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Soft-Boiled

I used this team a ton back when I was really in to laddering on showdown. This was the first team I got to number one on the ladder with, and it was my clutch team back when I first started playing in tournaments I think to this day I've only lost one tour match with it of course I haven't used it in a while. It's definitely pretty outdated now but I think it's solid enough to still be relatively consistent in today's meta, even if it's not exactly optimal anymore. Can't take credit for the concept behind this team obviously as it was super standard at the time it was built.

Roostur and Disaster Area like this.
  4. Ariel Rebel

Ariel Rebel #1 rsutton23 Fan Member

For GSC, I played a similar team to FriendofMrGolem120 (we were off by a move), and later gained enough confidence to play some really weird stuff, of which, a few of the teams were successful.

As more players recognized me on the ladder and started to know what I was up to, I reverted back to playing teams that are a lot "safer." See Roostur's team for an example.

Roostur likes this.
  5. eden

eden end. Host Emeritus

What a coincidence, I basically learned a lot of ADV just by spamming the DracoMalfoy sand stall, along with this dug stall, the triangles Snorlax balance,the UD mag Aero balance,and your offensive Starmie variant of this team. Still fun to pop out on occasion :D

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    Cowboy Dan likes this.
  6. marcoasd

marcoasd P.I.P. PLAY IN PEACE Host Emeritus

This is exactly what you need to do to get good: pick some elite player, pick one of his teams that perform better and start playing.
    It's hard to get good using bad teams: it takes a lot of trial and error.
    I went that way anyway, and I put together the Gengar/Exeggutor/Chansey/Snorlax/Tauros/Lapras team that I posted many times here.
    Another team to get good with was (and still is) Alakazam/Exeggutor/Chansey/Snorlax/Tauros/Starmie.

About GSC... oh wait I never got good! But I got better, at least, with Zapdos/Steelix/Snorlax/Cloyster/Machamp/Gengar. Still looking for good teams.

Disaster Area likes this.
  7. Roostur

Roostur Member

If you replaced gengar with exeggutor you'd have a good variation of the team that borat posted at the end of his guide. I got to the top of the ladder once with that team. The only problem with that team though is that it is inconsistent and flimsy. It comes down to 50/50 coin flips and rock paper scissors to decide the games too often . It isn't that good in my opinion. I've never understood why borat likes it. It gets even more confusing because he has posted way better teams. Idk if he was trolling when he said that was the best team he has ever used because he knew people would steal it, or maybe he was just trying to be cool and original (which I've proven the team is far from original) .

The Marowak team I posted is still really good. I just beat beds with it in Master Tournament 20. I have since changed Raikou's set to Roar, Reflect, Rest, Thunder. The defense that reflect gives the team is very helpful. It is pretty simple to use. The goal is to basically sword dance with marowak on something like raikou or even snorlax and kill the incoming counter such as Skarmory or Starmie. If you take a hit from starmie in the process of killing it with earthquake find an opportunity to rest, then heal bell with miltank and repeat the process. Belly drum lax is basically the same thing. Belly drum when you get the opportunity and sweep.

But yeah I agree. Watching good players and stealing their teams is a great way to get better. You should steal their team and practice with it yourself. Then once you've played with it for a while go back and watch that same player use the team and try to predict his moves. Try to be in his head and make moves with him. Pause the replay / video if you have to and really think about what his next move will be and why. If you predict wrong and he makes a move you didn't predict, then analyze everything and try to figure out why he made that move.

8. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END. Member

I got recognised in RBY (except according to Aldaron) with BlizzPsychicWave Starmie/Stun Spore Egg (this was shortly after the time Dragonite was reintroduced and I was among the people to recognise that no, Dragonite wasn't broken; Mega Drain was just not viable anymore)/Earthquake+Hyper Beam Snorlax/BlizzBoltWave Chansey/Rhydon/Psychic+Withdraw Slowbro. I think I mostly had the hang of things by then anyway, but I felt comfortable with that team (I hate using Tauros; Hyper Beam predicts are hard and it's so fucking random).

Roostur likes this.