1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION: For our 2023 season all of our tournaments will be hosted via the Pokémon Perfect Discord server rather than the forums. Please join us there and continue to enjoy our tournaments! https://discord.gg/2CsWWnan2A
  3. Tournaments

Check out the 2024 Tournament Calendar and join our discord server to participate in our tournaments!

Video Games

Discussion in 'Not Pokémon' started by Ortheore, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Ortheore

Ortheore Host Emeritus

Thought it'd be neat to open up a little discussion on games in general and what our favourites are.

My favourite game of all time has to be Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The blend of action/stealth was fantastic, particularly with the free approach to levels you're provided. More importantly though, it provided an incredibly rich world that was designed to explore concepts such as transhumanism and the role of science in a fantastically engaging way.

What's funny is that I don't even consider it the greatest game ever made. As an aspiring game developer, Chrono Trigger earns my vote for that accolade. It delivers a master class in balance, as storytelling and gameplay are balanced perfectly, as well as the game's progression being perfect- at no point do you feel underlevelled, but the game is nonetheless challenging. Aesthetically it's fantastic, while the story's pacing is unrivalled. The main thing letting it down was the fact that only your active members were present for story events, making it tough to bond with any given character. That and the use of a silent protagonist made it more difficult to enjoy the story.

Sadly, I find I haven't got much time for games these days, despite the fact that I study them lol. Between uni, work and maintaining a presence on smogon and more importantly here and on PO there's just no time. This is why I'm a big fan of portable gaming (3DS) since it allows me to play games on the go, on public transport when I wouldn't be doing much anyway. I loathe mobile gaming tho, so many shitty worthless games, and it's a terrible gaming interface.

I have no idea what I'll play next since I've got several PS3 games and more on steam that I have yet to touch. I'm on break atm so I want to play a non-portable game while I have time on my hands, but I don't know what. If I were to break it down into a list of most likely games, probably Heavy Rain, Valkyria Chronicles, or FFVIII would be my choices to play in my break. That said, it's been a week since uni finished and I still haven't found time for a game

Lutra and Disaster Area like this.
  2. Jame$ G

Jame$ G Member

I have not head of either of those games, they are ps3 titles i'm assuming?
    I wouldn't consider myself much of hardcore gamer. I've tried a lot of modern games and in honesty I don't really like any of them, I feel like every modern game is the same thing, just wearing different skins. Gaming to me has become more like watching an interactive DVD rather than playing a game. I'm on Xbox 360 and I really don't know why I bought that thing because I personally think American designed games are dreadful. Japanese games to me seem so much better developed, polished and perfected, I find them a lot more engaging for the player, easier to pick up, and overwhelmingly more detailed and exciting aesthetically. So with modern games my picks are things like Soul Calibur, Tekken, Street Fighter etc, anything that doesn't fall into the RPG generic story telling platform that everything seems to be these days. That being said I do like Forza a lot, and have a full Fanatec setup in my living room just for playing it, and I must admit that is the one American game I do really like.

The "best" games in all honesty I believe were N64 games; Mario64, Pilot Wings, Goldeneye and Stadium, I liked the depth and constant 3Dness to the graphics, something I feel even modern consoles don't rival, and simply I have not played any games I consider to be as fun as they were.

If I had to pick one game, in all honesty it is Pokemon; G,S and C and Stadium 2 especially. It was Stadium that got me into Pokemon, I was never an avid fan of RPG or strategy, I used to watch my cousins play Stadium, I would stare at it for hours, transfixed by the incredible graphics and mind blowing design concepts, eventually watching wasn't enough and I had to get playing! Surpass to say my cousins were pretty good players and my rental teams were no match for their honed, sharked teams and realised I was going to have to get involved with this game on a much more serious level. Got myself the games and the all obligatory gameshark and spent my evenings on Pojo, Smogon and IGN revising strategies and coding. I became so confident of my creations I actually started messaging a guy called Darren Chan aka "Karma Chameleon". He was a big deal in the Pokemon world as he was not only the first world champion, he also won the first gen championship with a Kingler. I didn't get my chance to take down the world champ but he did get me battling on mIRC. Naturally I won all my rematches against my cousins, and after the sweet taste of victory, the rest as they say is history..

Disaster Area likes this.
  3. Jame$ G

Jame$ G Member

I guess I should also add Mortal Kombat Armageddon and Robot Wars Arenas Of Destruction, had a honeymoon with both of them. Mortal Kombat because I created my own Fighter and combos which were "broken" aka infinity combos that I could destroy a life bar 3 times over without the opponent being able to do anything. Robot Wars simply because i'm passionate about robot combat and again managed to make about the only functional self righting robot design possible with the crappy builder that game had. I guess I just like games where preparing your own arsenal can give you decisive advantage over your opponents.

4. Ortheore

Ortheore Host Emeritus

Yeah I definitely get where you're coming from with a lot of games feeling the same. Like I look at stuff like Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed and they feel so similar imo, an issue that's most pronounced in AAA stuff. That said, gaming allows for really diverse experiences and it can be really tough finding the experience you want. Definitely it can be rewarding looking past AAA titles and into the indie scene, but there it is still tough because there are a lot of indie titles, most of which aren't as well known as AAA stuff.

I can't really say much on jap vs western games in general, but I much prefer JRPGs to WRPGs. A lot of the time when playing WRPGs I'm worried that I might develop my characters incorrectly or something and wind up facing a crazy difficulty curve. JRPGs largely bypass this, as well as telling more interesting stories imo. But then by the sounds of things you're more interested in the actual gameplay than the stories a game might tell, which is pretty different to what I'm after.

Pokemon's a weird one for me. I loved the games as a kid, Crystal was a massive part of my childhood for a long time. Obviously I played them long enough to get into the competitive side of things but now I just find the actual pokemon games boring and tedious.

Also regarding your second post that is absolutely one thing I love about competitive pokemon. Being able to put together something yourself, where you know how it works and how to use it adds a lot of personality to the game. It almost becomes an identity/self-expression kinda thing. Idk that's maybe an exaggeration but it's kinda the vibe I get.

Jame$ G and Disaster Area like this.
  5. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Furr and Power Member

I must admit on cart I don't have the energy to explore anywhere new and I've gone over older places so often, though if I could get a link cable, FR/LG, and another console then I would probably work on getting some proper ADV XU stuff on my console for the fun of it.

6. Jame$ G

Jame$ G Member

That's it, if you just play a game start to finish, how the script intended, what is it? It's just like an interactive movie, or a book, when the game is flexible enough to fully engage and utilise your thoughts and creativity as player it becomes so much more, and will effectively give the game an infinite depth to its appeal.

And yes, you hit the nail on the head with Assasins Creed; I haven't played Watch Dog, but certainly Assasins Creed, Bioshock, Mass Effect etc. all feel like the same game to me, I always walk away from them feeling disappointed. I can say much the same about shooters of late, you can play 10 different titles but I swear to God all you're doing is playing Halo 10 times. Same with most the Android games, I'm sure they're all just based off the same RPG platform. D Gunners and Osmos are about the only things I've found on Android that I think are worth the download. Iron Man3 was glitsy but not all that playable.

The actual "playing" side of Pokemon cartidges I do agree are a little long winded for my liking, that's why I use Gamesharks, they just take all the tediousness out and I really don't have 200 available hours in my life these days to be playing them properly! But it's nice that the challenge is there if you were looking for that level of involvement from a game, you certainly get your moneys worth with Pokemon! But yeah I have to say Stadiums over cartridges for that exact reason.

Something I am surprised isn't more abundant in the modern world of gaming is actual hardware for shoot em ups? I mean the Kinect is a big deal, to some people (not myself) but really isn't a gun that you can hold and point at the TV to shoot your opponents what people really want? That's gotta be a lot more fun than using stick? I know for Forza having the wheel and pedals completely transformed the game.

Disaster Area likes this.