1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

Random The SPL-level legacy of CALLOUS

Discussion in 'Chat' started by GGFan, Feb 21, 2018.

1. GGFan

GGFan Member

With his abrupt departure from the competitive Pokemon world, CALLOUS will go down as one of the most polarizing and controversial figures in the game's history--a far cry from how he wanted to be remembered, surely. Though he was and will continue to be dismissed by many as what the internet layman refers to as a "meme," it would be remiss if we did not acknowledge the good that CALLOUS did during his time spent in our realm. As many of you know, I was critical of certain aspects of his personality, such as his comical hyperbole and attempt to ostracize Lord Ninjax; however, I believe these were a result of his somewhat admirable passion for the game, which I will discuss shortly.

I first heard of CALLOUS in 2013, when he was a regular on the main Pokemon Online server. He frequented it mainly to stumble upon games worth narrating and play ADV. At this time his channel was largely unknown, though he had done a bit of networking with the likes of M Dragon, who supposedly trained him a great deal. CALLOUS started out narrating ADV games, but dabbled into RBY and GSC as well, though he was markedly biased towards games held on Smogon. For example, despite participating in previous Pokemon Online tournaments he openly buried a World Cup game he was narrating, saying something along the lines of, "The PO World Cup isn't as important as the one on Smogon." Even if it was true, even I can admit that PO was held in higher esteem five years ago. Moreover, I found that remark disrespectful to the players involved, as they possibly may have done some serious preparation for the game. A more egregious display of his Smogon favoritism was his catchphrase, "SPL level," which was obviously scrutinized and made him seen as a gimmick by many people.

CALLOUS knew who I was when I messaged him on Pokemon Online for the first time, and expressed interest in narrating my RBY games, presumably because I was the #1 ranked player on its ladder and thus had many intriguing games to choose from. I showed him my game against Conflict in the semi finals of the Pokefans RBY tournament, hoping he would narrate it, but it fell through because I didn't have the full replay. I had to settle for posting the video on YouTube myself along with writing my own "war story" for it (we called them war stories back then). Fair enough--who wants to narrate a game that doesn't start on turn 1? Most wouldn't, I think.

CALLOUS would continue to narrate games for a good while. I never made any subsequent attempts at reaching out to him as I was content with uploading games on my own channel, and that was that. CALLOUS would disappear for about two years; when he returned, SmogonJr was dead and he needed a new home. Thus, the working relationship between CALLOUS and Pokemon Perfect was born. CALLOUS narrated a few ADV Master Tournament games and was also a manager in PPL 2, which he nearly won. In this tournament CALLOUS exhibited his passion and knowledge for the game, as he made some excellent choices in the auction and ended up nearly winning the tournament. Despite his busy schedule, CALLOUS continued to narrate games as well, showcasing his dedication which is something I would personally like to see more of from other people. Dedication in this game is mainly limited to people seeing who can act like the most socially inept buffoon on the Smogtours discord server, but CALLOUS was interested in things such as professionalism and statistics. I have the same mindset in this regard.

Unfortunately, while we started on at least neutral terms, when CALLOUS came back he displayed some kind of grudge against me for reasons which were never clear. While watching a game on Pokemon Showdown he wrote something like, "GGFan and danilo can go on island together." I didn't understand why CALLOUS saw me in the same light as his mortal enemy, though this came back to bite him rather harshly as when we were both in the ADV Master Tournament, I won my first-round set whereas CALLOUS lost to Lord Ninjax. This would mark the beginning of CALLOUS's reputation for being on the receiving end of karma's fangs, though I must admit that, before the PPL auction started, CALLOUS actually sent me a private message and apologized for how he felt about me, feelings which were undoubtedly stirred by some gimmicks on Smogon (I was banned on Smogon at the time and thus viewed as their enemy). I respected him for apologizing, as most people would never do that, even if it's clear they were wrong. It's for this very reason that I don't want to only focus on his negatives, for he showed me that he was, perhaps, more complex than I previously thought. There was a normal person in him who wanted to come out.

However, what made CALLOUS so polarizing on Pokemon Perfect was his attitude that he believed he knew how the site should be run, and clearly his obsession with Smogon was the impetus for his behavior. I disagreed with his views on Pokemon Perfect, especially considering this is a site that strives to be as much of an alternative to Smogon as humanly possible, given its emphasis on old-gen tournaments and a more mature atmosphere. Instead of seeing Pokemon Perfect as an opportunity, CALLOUS viewed it as inferior and as a site that needed to emulate Smogon. This was a bone of contention amongst many people and resulted in some unsavory words exchanged between CALLOUS and Disaster Area. CALLOUS would end up leaving Pokemon Perfect once more, but not before saying something utterly ridiculous while embroiled in the argument over how the WCOPP should have been structured: "Leave it to people like me who have a degree in math and think logically." Whenever CALLOUS tried to present himself seriously, he tended to follow up his arguments and reasoning with laughable statements like these.

Sometime after he left Pokemon Perfect (or before, I'm not sure), CALLOUS made his most infamous video: "Why Lord Ninjax is awful." I never confronted him about it because I felt it would have been a waste of time, but I discussed this with some of the older players (I won't give names out of respect), and we all agreed that the only thing awful was the video itself. Here CALLOUS was, a good 10 or 12 years older than this kid, going out of his way to make a long, detailed video about why he was a bad player. A long message on Smogon or Pokemon Perfect would have sufficed, not a cold-blooded attempt at ostracism. However, once again, karma's fangs bit CALLOUS fiercely, as Ninjax would go on to win the ADV World Championship by beating the winner of the CALLOUS Invitational in the finals, which was a great achievement. CALLOUS, meanwhile, would get bought in SPL, the tournament he obsessed over more than any other.

CALLOUS found himself in SPL. The narrator whose catchphrase was "SPL level" and evaluated players' skill by how likely they would get to play in SPL was bought by a team. No doubt CALLOUS was elated and eager to prove how knowledgeable and good he was at ADV, and he had a chance to make an example out of Skeptics, who he had been throwing subtle taunts at on his personal discord. The two would end up having a sort of grudge bo3 which Skeptics actually won, and was even posted on YouTube. Once again, CALLOUS didn't obey Competitive Pokemon 101: never trash talk. Thankfully, for his sake, he kept quiet during the majority of the tournament, but there wasn't much he COULD say either. He definitely didn't have much to say against Ugly Duckling, who he had been critical of in the past. Now adversaries on the battlefield, UD defeated CALLOUS in the most bizarre yet poetic way possible: with Weezing. CALLOUS was consumed and beaten by Smogon, who he wanted to prove his worth to for the longest time.

In week 6, CALLOUS was placed on the bench. While that wasn't surprising, CALLOUS deleting all of his videos on his YouTube channel and removing his discord certainly were. The main rumor is that CALLOUS did this out of disgust for being benched. If this is the case, then he did not leave the game as a man, but as a child who threw an unnecessary temper tantrum against not only himself, but his team. I sincerely hope the rumors are not true and that CALLOUS left for other reasons, but given his extreme passion and opinion of himself ("top 20 ADV players in the world!"), it seems that he indeed tarnished both his legacy and reputation over something that most would see as trivial.

I feel bad for CALLOUS to an extent. I think that him removing all of his videos was tantamount to a writer tearing his manuscripts and throwing them into a fire. Even if CALLOUS may not have been seen as a great player, he was important in fostering awareness for both the game and professionalism. I dislike this game's culture and feel it could change if we had more people like CALLOUS minus the tendencies to be a gimmick. Ultimately, his trash talking, inflated opinion of himself, and obsession with Smogon led to a sudden and tragic demise for the man who once had lofty and ambitious goals. I respect how much time and money CALLOUS put into his invitational tournament, and appreciate that he held it on Pokemon Perfect instead of Smogon. Sadly, this man's man was too often in the shadows of a child who was desperate to be "SPL level."

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  2. SaDiSTiCNarwhal

SaDiSTiCNarwhal Always tired Member

I don't believe he ended his entire online life because he got subbed out of a virtual tournament, but it's pretty depressing to see this happen, regardless of his, sometimes outrageous, actions in the past.

Dizno likes this.
  3. Stockings

Stockings Mum stole me darts Member

I was on p ok terms with callous in the past few months, despite me being p open with saying that there were multiple ADV players better than him not in spl, and not to take his losses that badly.

That said he went out like a fucking child, it’s just a game and even then some of its greatest players have had terrible seasons.

Disaster Area likes this.
  4. marcoasd

marcoasd P.I.P. PLAY IN PEACE Host Emeritus

I agree with most of these things as an immediate reaction, but there's obviously more. One thing I had to deal with more and more throughout the years is that there's very little you can know about others (and I'm talking about people you get to interact with IRL...).

I think I casually had access to more information about the actual guy (which I will obviously bring to my deathbed) that could make CALLOUS and his leaving more readable.
    Whishes are that he'll be able to be back better and to be back in peace: I wouldn't preclude that, we'll just sit and wait. That will be his choice, I don't feel like it would be appropriate to write him for example.

"Saddening" is the proper word for that kind of ending: it's more than right to be hardwired to see people leaving with a last smile on their faces, especially those who have left a mark.
    At the same time, things are meant to have an ending - not strictly happy endings -: I enjoyed his presence, and in case he wouldn't be back that would be just part of the deal, like it or not. For sure, I don't feel like I can judge the guy.

5. deluks917

deluks917 Host Emeritus

Back in BW Callous got me back into competitive pokemon. Though I mostly just laddered casually for a few years.

Callous also got me into serious tournament mons by drafting me for PPL. He also drafted me for POCL which was an amazing experience. I would not be an active player on Pokemon Perfect without Callous.

Callous never liked losing. He even took ladder and test game losses badly. I cannot lie I am personally upset he deleted his video archive. I really enjoyed watching the backlog, there were some great games on there. If he quit because of SPL then Callous was a good man, who died a bad man's death.

I hope he comes back.

6. Luck>Skill

Luck>Skill Member

I feel like he was starting to gain some respect, too bad he decided to toss everything away one last time, and now we will all remember CALLOUS as the "guy who nuked everything about his favorite online hobby because he got subbed out in a tournament" instead of the good player and commentator he was.

Sceptross likes this.
  7. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Furr and Power Member

I'm glad now everyone else can see CALLOUS is as childish and temperamental as I was keenly aware that he was.

8. hclat

hclat Member

I realize that Callous was not particularly popular on this forum, and I won't pretend to support how he acted towards Ninjax, DA, and others.

However, I believe that he was a great presence for old-gen pokemon, especially ADV. His channel offered validation for ADV ladderers, where unknown ladder players like myself were given the chance to battle against established players under a spotlight. In my eyes, he is the biggest reason that the gen3ou ladder is known as one of showdown’s strongest. In wake of the SPL cheating scandal, he created discord chat filled with his youtube followers comprised of people with all ranges of tournament experience. He ran his invitational, which provided the most exciting spectator experience pokemon has given me, which still isn't to say anything of the experience of the actual invitees.

A short anecdote: Until about a year ago, I did not play pokemon regularly, and I wasn’t aware of the existence of any forums other than smogon, which was the source of all my ADV knowledge. Then, last November, I think, I saw Callous post a video of myself against Drake Seawood on ladder. He was using a monocolor team, and I was using some zap cannon forre+cacturne trash that was heavily inspired by Bill Shatner’s double cactus team he infamously defeated UD with. I won the match, and the publicity that Callous granted me motivated me to ladder harder and work to improve. About two months later, after playing a ladder game, Callous PMed me on showdown, saying that himself and UD had both noticed that I had some in-game skill, but that I clearly had no knowledge of how to build or access to good teams. He also told me about pokemon perfect, and I promptly made an account. Me and Callous had lengthy conversations where he tried (with not a lot of success, unfortunately, seeing the extent of the usable teams that I’ve made to this day) to teach me how to teambuild. Nonetheless, he introduced me to this forum and compteitve pokemon as a whole, for which I owe him a thank you that he won’t get to see.

So in summary, despite his poor relations with numerous members of this community, Callous’ departure is a significant loss for ADV.

9. Diegolh

Diegolh Member

That's a pretty good read actually. When you put away Shimtup, you're capable of good things.
    I'm pretty sure CALLOUS himself would have liked your post;

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Christos likes this.
  10. GGFan

GGFan Member

A tool of war should never be seen as a good thing, though I fear Shimtup will be necessary eventually.

11. melle2402

melle2402 Host Emeritus

Callous was a solid player and a decent narrater. I enjoyed watching his videos.
    But I disliked his personality, especially his s/o to his team were awful after they won pocl. He is a person who wants to decide everything and dont accept different opinions. Give him a wig and call him Trump
    But I will still miss his videos, they were on SPL-Level for sure

deluks917 likes this.
  12. PhilosopherKing

PhilosopherKing Member

As someone who has known Callous both inside and outside the game, I can attest that there were moments when he took the game way too seriously and enforced his strong but not necessarily unwarranted opinions on others. That being said, given Callous’ estrangement with the Pokémon Perfect community, I do feel that some individuals here are taking the opportunity to use the news of Callous’ departure to solidify their negative opinion of him and publicly display their confirmation bias. Indeed, such grudges run the obvious risk of oversimplifying Callous’ legacy to the game. I do not claim to know how to accurately describe that legacy, but I think I can be a counterweight by speaking to some of the positive aspects that he brought to the community.

First, Callous’ YouTube channel deserves a mention here. In many ways, his channel was both an educational and promotional tool. Newcomers and veterans were given 24/7 access to a gen 3 archive of videos to improve their skills and knowledge of the game. And though Callous had little tolerance for mediocrity, he loved when newcomers arrived to play gen 3 and would often use the channel as a means to promote new players within the community. Let us also not forget that given Pokémon Perfect’s lack of content on YouTube, Callous’s channel would eventually become Pokemon Perfect’s de facto YouTube channel and would actively promote the website. In fact, a decent percentage of the existing community is here because of the promotion Callous performed for Pokémon Perfect.

Secondly, Callous’ approach to the game provided the closest attempt of transforming Pokémon into a competitive enterprise. As an individual contributor, the man was fiercely loyal to his team and would dedicate many hours to scouting, team-building, and testing every single week. However, it was as a manager where Callous set the standard. As his assistant manager in POCL, I know that an insane amount of thought and preparation was done each week. Prior to the draft, Callous and I collectively spent at least 10 hours scouting, creating spreadsheets with price points for each tier, and developing contingency plans. It was the closest someone ever could come to make managing a Pokémon team into a science. This trend would continue each week as we debated matchups. As just one example of his dedication, Callous actively hunted down Bluri’s phone number through his list of German contacts to make sure we did not lose because of inactivity. Indeed, we had one of the top 3 teams in the tournament, but our victory was in large part due to Callous’ management style.

It is sad to see my friend leave the way he did, but he should be remembered as an overall positive figure in the annals of competitive Pokemon history whose influence inspired many individuals to play the game and improve.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Isa, Astamatitos, p2 and 5 others like this.
  13. melle2402

melle2402 Host Emeritus

np again for bluris number
    text me if u want it too

PhilosopherKing likes this.
  14. Disaster Area

Oh yeah, the hunting down Bluri's phone number thing was going way too far and I feel that's outside the realm of what's acceptable in the Pokemon community too. Don't hunt down someone's rl info just to make sure a game gets done.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of appreciation for the videos he did (notwithstanding the one where he cyberbullied Ninjax) and the passion he brought for the game, but he pretty much made it impossible for me and him to be friends, by the time he ragequit the community.

15. melle2402

melle2402 Host Emeritus

i talked with Bluri before and he said its okay to give him his number. so i dont see a problem there

PhilosopherKing and deluks917 like this.
  16. Motor Drive

Motor Drive Member

I was quite sad when I saw that he deleted all the videos in his channels.

I got into ADV, Old Gens e also P.P thanks to him :c

I really enjoyed seeing good games narrated by him

Maybe he'il return ! :(

17. marcoasd

marcoasd P.I.P. PLAY IN PEACE Host Emeritus

CALLOUS is back. Possibly best video he ever made.

18. Disaster Area

19. GGFan

GGFan Member

"I'm healthy, I'm well." - CALLOUS 2018.