1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

Pokémon SPL

Discussion in 'Chat' started by autumn leaves, Dec 14, 2017.

1. autumn leaves

autumn leaves Member

For the PPers who don't really go on Smogon/hang out around Smogon Discords, here's where possibly the biggest tournament online Pokemon has' old gens can be discussed. I'm particularly interested in the opinions of a few. RBY, GSC, ADV, DPP (not sure how many people here are into BW/ORAS)

Sorry for the sparse OP I just wanted to get this going.

All available info is here. Player sheet, old logs, whatever

Smogon Premier League | Smogon Forums

Alice, Ugly Duckling, kjdaas and 2 others like this.
  2. ThrashNinjax

ThrashNinjax Lets take to the Skies Host Emeritus

This is a placeholder for a longer thing that I'll write at some point:
    RBY:
    Peas and Lusch will end with the top 2 records again, I'd bet people on this because both are just absurdly good.

After his MT wins and POCL Troller's almost guaranteed to get a starting spot. I'd say he gets 5 or 6 wins, definitely ends positive at the least, and he'll get enough rave reviews that he'll get retained for next year.

Diegolh is a darker horse, and doesn't have a ton in recent results, but he's a super talented player with a MT win and enough strong showings that you could probably make a case for him getting a slot. roudolf13 and TIN both fall in a similar boat, although they've gotten their breaks on Smogon with the circlejerk watching so I'd say their shots are a little better.

Seeing GGyara get bought again would be really nice, give him one more chance at a positive record since he's done well in just about every other tournament setting.

stunner047 and sceptross have shot up recently in the PP scene, and despite the fact that RBY's looking kinda stable this year they should definitely be considered by a few teams. Very solid up and comers who will probably be starter-level players by next year.

ADV:
    Most likely 'PPers' to get bought at auction are thelinearcurve and Eden's Embrace imo. Linear's obviously had an absurdly good year - most Master Tour wins (3), Callous Cup, ADV WC finalist, a dozen alts on the ladder's top 50, etc, etc, he's a really terrifying player, and like Troller, is almost guaranteed to start and go positive.

Eden's Embrace had a good run in Callous Cup and not-too-shabby runs in other team tours (his standout being 6-3 in WCoPP while also playing Team Mom). There's some questions about his consistency ingame but when he's locked in and chilled out no-one is scarier to face. He's also got the argument that he's shown himself to be a pretty solid RBY / DPP player in the past and from what I've seen he's reasonably competent at just about every Old Gen (and you could even stick him in his old stomping grounds of RU if you're desperate). I know he's on the managers' radar but just wanna hit home that he'd be a really good pick as a sub and even a potential starter.

Shame Dan didn't sign up...imo Dan's fundamentally a better ADVer than Sunny but I'm not sure if he's SPL-level and his team choice seems a little more limited than Sunny's which would also cost him, plus, he lacks the tier versatility and connections Sunny has. If he signs up he's got a decent chance of being a team's 15th or 16th player but we'll have to see.

I'd say that there's about a 97% chance that Kerts and / or amberlamps don't get picked but it would really warm my heart if they did, both players have come absurdly far in the last few months alone. Kind of the ADV counterparts to stunner and scep above, players who would make amazing future investments because they'll definitely be starter caliber by next year. Kerts has dominated ladder for the most part really nicely, put a lot of alts in the top 50 (and won Dewford Cup off of his serial laddering skills), he's done ridiculously well in MTs, won 5 games out of 7 in WCoPP, finished third in ADV WC, etc. amberlamps appeared a little more recently but he beat all of BKC / linear / UD to claim the win in MT#11 and ended Season 4 with the most overall points which is absurd for a newish player, and he had a really good run in WCoPP (8-2 and he made Sunny and Dan look like amateurs when they played) as well. Either one paired with a more experienced ADVer (like on the Tigers, per se) to help them branch out with team choices and whatnot would be a real threat on the battlefield.

Forgot to mention marcop...imo he's not a PP guy so much as the others, and he's definitely a bit of an enigma in that sense to me. That he's going to get bought seems like a foregone conclusion (and I think he's definitely worth up to 5K at auction), but I think he's better at DPP than ADV (not hugely so though, but the DPP pool in SPL looks depleted enough that he'll probably get a better chance there). Having played in a team tour with him I can confirm his attitude is really good, and though he does get heated sometimes he's helpful when he wants to be and driven to win like nothing else. His teambuilding is okay, definitely a solid dash of creativity in there but there are some recurring holes that I expect his opponents will pick up on - but his play is usually really solid, he's very good at weighing his options and working out the 'optimal' line of play, and though that sometimes failed him in test games vs more erratic players like Sunny and myself it would serve him really well at SPL level (as he proved with his win over MDrag in POCL finals). That said, he's definitely got the skills and he should be drafted.

I'm not sure if any of the managers would be willing to take a chance on the player who choked his team out of WCoP but said player did recently ascend to the mantle of ADV world champion and piex reckons that he's worth a look so :shrug: Like Kerts / lamps, more of a future investment than someone who'll dominate this year but pair him with some solid oldgenners and he'll probably be capable of starting in SPL 10 or so.

DPP:
    DeepBlueC hung around the site during the first half of this year and he got some rave reviews from the Tigres, wouldn't be surprised to see them pick him up again for 2018. Good player, solid teambuilder, good attitude, definitely would make a good pick.

deluks917 imo is starter-level in DPP and sub-tier in ADV / BW (actually probably weak starter considering how the BW pool's been emptied out this year). Highly skilled, solid teambuilder and his in-game plays are usually right on the money, plus he's very diligent when it comes to prepping for serious games. Also this guy was lowkey the funniest person in the Eastchat (even counting myself) so buying him would be a solid investment in team morale.

Kingler's bid for a starting spot would probably be weakened by the lack of LC, but he'd make a solid sub since he's reasonably competent in just about every oldgen and could support. Also, like deluks, funny af.

Will write more when I feel like it.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  3. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Furr and Power Member

The audio balance on this is awful but I covered RBY about as thoroughly as possible in this chat w Genesis and Huston

1 person we forgot about tho who's probably relevant is soulgazer

4. Stockings

Stockings Mum stole me darts Member

upload_2017-12-14_19-17-54.png

as far as the gen that I actually care about is concerned though: I think the ADV pool this year is relatively tight skill-wise and I don't see anyone with a chance of getting drafted performing below average, there's gonna be a lot of good matches I reckon. I also imagine there's gonna be quite a bit of innovation or new ideas brought to light, can't wait to see what some of the players are gonna bring.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  5. musicaltide

musicaltide everfall Member

ADV:

In terms of starting players, Asta still seems to be the player to beat this season. Despite his solid positive record last season, he doesn't seem satisfied with his performance (that first game vs. Fakes would've tilted anyone), and so, armed with a renewed passion for the throne, I see him performing even better this time around. Having improved tremendously during and especially after SPL 8, UD has also become an ADV titan in his own right, and I look forward to seeing what unconventional innovations he has in store for us. The strongest ADVer to come from the ladder and PP to Smogon, thelinearcurve is the dark horse who has proven he has the skills to take down anyone. As a fellow ladder player, I can't help but feel proud of how far he has gone, and can't wait to see who else he will beat this time around :)

For the potential starters, Eden's Embrace, marcop9923, and Kerts are the strongest ADV candidates, even if Smogon seems to think otherwise (please, no more Jabba).

Sunny is a friendly guy with an undeniable passion for mons, and has both the knowledge and piloting skills to play ADV at the highest level. His ability to play multiple gens is another big plus. I hope SPL managers give him his fair shot at starting, and I hope he overcomes his "stage fright" and plays like the aggressive monster I've seen, and know he has, in him.

I'm not too familiar with marcop's ADV, but I did enjoy the few games I have seen and played vs. him. A creative teambuilder with the plays to match his surprisingly effective teams, he's also a humble guy who seems to know that mons is ultimately just a game to be enjoyed. As a fan, I'd love to see more from him.

Kerts is the 2nd ladder monster to appear in PP, and now Smogon. Despite his lack in team variety, he makes up for it in being so skilled in utilizing his Skarm teams to the point that his predictability is almost a non-weakness. I think well-built Skarm teams are so strong that any skilled user's chances of losing are 50/50 at worst, and I believe Kerts to be the living embodiment of that philosophy. Although Kerts is extremely solid, I hope he learns to pilot a wider variety of teams (if only for us spectators lol), and become even more formidable than he currently is.

Finally, for those who won't likely be in ADV this SPL: Dan, BKC, Golden Sun, and Fear.

Dan is the strongest ADVer I've ever come across who has stayed grounded all this time. Despite how skilled and versatile he is as a player (a true counterteaming master, Dan's ADV is on par with UD and Linear imo), he remains humble, friendly, and down-to-earth, and I wish he had the time to sign up this time around </3

It's a shame autumn leaves wasn't playing ADV last year, and I wish he would be a starter this year. The strongest current ADVer, BKC understands the game completely from all three angles (teambuilding, playing, and psychological manipulation - to the point of questionable sportsmanship at times xP), and I truly believe the best player of the gen should play the best gen at least once this season.

Golden Sun is an amazing player that I've had the pleasure of playing a few games against in the past, and I think of his game vs. Ojama as last year's ADV highlight. A fantastic player with keen insight for the right plays at the right times, he is probably the ADVer whose playstyle I admire the most, and I wish he could show us all another chill-inducing game.

Fear is an old-school legend who hasn't been given his fair share of the current ADV spotlight, due to the limited supply of good GSCers. A terrifyingly knowledgeable player, I wish I could see him start and play in his favorite gen, and not the yawn-inducer that is GSC. He might be a bit out of practice in ADV nowadays, but with a bit of effort, I see him as one of the few who can face Asta and BKC on equal footing. What I would give to see a Fear vs. Asta showdown in SPL... one can only hope.

6. eden's embrace

eden's embrace end. Host Emeritus

i guess i'll write a bit, v cool thread. my opinions don't matter too much, but i hope they're useful in some way.

asta's fired up again, really interested to see what he does to push the tier forward
    undisputed is v solid in game, with his standard teams he'll be awesome again
    fear sadly never adv's but I think everyone knows how good he is
    kerts is v good also rn, has had a prolonged hot streak, uses one style of team, but honestly does that matter?
    linear's great he'll do well, will definitely get drafted
    UD was already great, but he's become less rigid, will be fun to see him rip it up
    dan's day will come when he signs up, he still could actually! although draft plans have probably already been made
    deluks is awesome too, willing to counter style his opponent in big games(even though i'm not a big fan of doing this), v humble, great team guy too, doesn't get overawed by the occasion either.
    marcop is solid too in adv recently, did great in pocl, has good solid teams.

ninjax inspite of his comical game vs jabba, did win a stacked tour which isn't easy. went through some good people to do it too, got a bit lucky but you need some to win a tour anyway. ran some interesting teams, i like the hera one a lot. definitely improved

last but not least: musicaltide didn't mention himself but if he ever decided to step back in the fray, he can definitely more than hang with all of these players.

want to see golden sun and/or smurf rip it up, watching them play especially smurf makes the tier feel fresh for me. smurf especially is always trying new interesting builds, i'd love to see him unleash some of them on the big stage.

want to see triangles do better than last time, he also is always trying new fresh builds

i don't play gsc much but:
    fomg is excellent, sulcata as well.

rby:
    Troller, tin should get their chances both great dudes hope they do awesome.
    roudolf, diego too

dpp:
    i wanna see ace matador come back that guy's a beast.
    DBC will probably be playing again this time, great dude hope he does fantastic.
    deluks is solid too, runs more traditional stuff though, again great dude hope he smashes people when he plays
    marcop's better here though, probably will get brought and get to hang around some great players.

anyone i missed don't feel insulted or anything, i'm writing this mildly inebriated after a final.

anyway that's enough of me talking from the sidelines. maybe this ended up more general than i thought it would.

didn't write much but everyone else has written volumes, looking forward to some good games

7. Disaster Area

8. GGFan

GGFan Member

I wouldn't call a tournament that proudly promotes cowardice "prestigious."

Kaz, SoulWind and eden's embrace like this.
  9. Ariel Rebel

Ariel Rebel #1 rsutton23 Fan Member

Would be nice to see a clean and honest SPL this year. That's my #1 hope for SPL. I realize that SPL being the "big one" that this is unlikely and that some form of dishonesty will likely always exist within SPL.

I still want to push my gag candidate, rsutton23 into it for a run.

Joking aside, GSC OU is where my interest lies. I hope FriendofMrGolem120 has a change of heart. I expect that he could come out of it with a winning record on a bad day and a close to undefeated record on a good day. I've always wanted to see him go up against the best. I feel like that the circle of top GSC OU players is incomplete because the top ladder players don't get involved with SPL. I guess this applies to Sulcata as well. The two of them crush the ladder so hard that even the next closest regular on there is a mile behind.

Having watched Callous's channel and breakdown of the players, I think that GSC OU has some players who will remain dominant in the format with a few players coming in each year to test their game against the top few. Lavos will be an interesting addition to SPL if he brings the style of teams that he's been showing off recently.

Disaster Area and kjdaas like this.
  10. GGFan

GGFan Member

I would now like to address the recent tension that has plagued the Discord realm lately.

Many of you know me as a gentle giant. I am kind, humble, and friendly, yet I am also feared and immensely powerful. There is an adage that I do my earnest to apply every day, "With great power comes great responsibility." I have enough power with my hand alone to squeeze the life out of my foes. Thus, I have the power to either change the world for the better or become known as its destructive force so powerful that nothing could possibly stop me. I recognize this.

Nonetheless, people have been testing the extent of my power lately. These craven trolls and ugly goblins have been spreading lies again. They have also been besmirching Skeptics, a dear friend of mine and someone who has more integrity in his pinky finger than some of you have in your entire bodies. I honestly cried when I read Skeptics's message on the foul smogon realm. I cried for his passion and love for our sport.

Skeptics is real, and he is honest. Honesty, integrity, and love--words that some of you would never be able to understand. You have also been attacking me as well as my home, the beloved Pokémon Perfect realm, lately, with your unhealthy obsession of the SPL tournament. A tournament that celebrates cheaters and childish troglodytes, and one that purports to be a gathering of its best players, yet fears a mere gentle giant. Smogon continues to try and erase my accomplishments from existence by denying how successful I've been--even this year, when i was clearly among the three most noble warriors in the art of red, blue, and yellow fighting. Smogon's hypocrisy and its ignorant sycophants disgust me.

As long as Smogon continues to fight this childish crusade and as long as there are misguided people who continue to exhort him, SPL will never be what he wants it to be. It is merely a spectacle watched by parasites who leech onto whatever popular flavor of the month they can find. The same parasites that will suck Peasounay dry and leave him for dead, as they did noble Marco and dear Bedschibaer. You don't know anything about greatness. Your thoughts are baseless and misinformed. You are the true cancers, not Pokémon Perfect. Unfortunately, my realm continues to abet smogon's nefarious ways by senselessly promoting this inane event. It's saddening.

As a leader on Pokémon Perfect, I hereby present a challenge. I challenge you, Smogon. I challenge you to a joust. Show yourself and confront me like a man--not with these flippant pseudonyms such as "BKC," "Earthworm," and "MoxieIntimate." I challenge you to explain yourself. I am not afraid of you, nor have I ever been. Every year around this time I have to deal with belligerent buffoons scrutinizing me, insulting me, and dismissing me all because I am the emperor that did not settle in your kingdom.

You have your empire, but not its king. Now, come and get me, Smogon! Come and kill me once for all! It's what you've always wanted to do. For the last 13 years you've tried to remove the eternal thorn from your backside, but to no avail. I am still here.

I challenge you, Smogon. If you are too cowardly to accept my challenge, then I have just one thing to say to you:

SWIM IN GARBAGE, O YOU GARBAGE.

Kaz and SoulWind like this.
  11. Chrysalis

Chrysalis scorpion Host Emeritus

[08:44] GGFan: if you have nothing positive to say, then I will kindly ask you to leave. please do not disrupt the peace and harmony here.

12. The Idiot Ninja

The Idiot Ninja Member

clearly you're not thinking like GGFan. you see, he's not disrupting the peace and harmony of Pokémon Perfect. These gross Smogon cavemen are coming here to disrupt OUR peace and harmony with their cowardly tourament. He is merely defending us from this great Smogon threat.

:^)

Chrysalis likes this.
  13. GGFan

GGFan Member

If you can't handle this level of harsh yet honest exposure of Smogon's flaws, then perhaps they align with your own cowardly motives. The truth is often too painful for one's ears to bear, so it becomes covered in an opulent glass that erases displeasure in favor of ignorant smiles. People only care about what pleases them.

Unfortunately, I must agree with your perception of the typical Smogon: uncouth sloths who would like nothing more than to corrupt the minds of promising youngsters such as Linkin Karp. I will do my best to prevent this from happening, but I am merely one man.

SoulWind likes this.
  14. marcoasd

marcoasd P.I.P. PLAY IN PEACE Host Emeritus

So I decided to shuffle things up by joining the party. I don't like the state of the game and I might regret the fact that I put myself into two months of scheduling and other stuff, but I looked at the field and almost everyone was there.

Trying to get a good record, win games, be temmates with X or Y (which won't be happening), win the pixeled trophy, please people who asked me... these things were not motivating enough to move my ass. I don't know what got me in after giving myself a 1/3 chance : I am a rational guy and I acknowledge that joining is not a good deal for me right now; nonetheless, the 33% irrational part took over.
    I look at sports a a big party: there will always have a lot of GARBAGE lying on its surface and on the bottom, but the guys in the middle are going to have a party.
    I think I'll just try to enjoy the game.

I would've loved to see Lutra, Crystal_ and Isa joining as a players too (even though it looks like Crystal is retired as a player), but it looks like I'm the last standing dinosaur - I'm going to hold the flag high and represent that kind of "generation of players".
    GGFan is a different matter, as he wasn't allowed - I feel like it's ridiculous to leave a guy out for something that happened something like 15 years ago, especially with this kind of field, but on the other hand you are perpetuating yourself to be honest.
    Why would they give you a chance, after taking a look at your monologues? Talking to yourself won't help you, man.
    Will you ever be able to understand it, play around it and stop shitting all over each single corner of the internet?

Lusch and Disaster Area like this.
  15. GGFan

GGFan Member

Excuse me?
    No matter how much time may think it moves forward, it always stands still, doesn't it, dear Marco? Here we are, four years after our rivalry started. You were the young, promising youngster and I was the determined veteran adamant to retain his spot. You exceeded all expectations, performing admirably and finding yourself in your current exalted position in life.

But that wasn't enough for you, was it? You continue to cast aspersions towards my character, continue to make light of my cause, and continue to ignite a fire that will seemingly never die. We will always be rivals, won't we? You'll never be content letting me be, won't you? You fail to realize that, no matter how little I say or do, I will continue to be ostracized unfairly. This is why I've been so vocal now: to answer the question "Why?" Why am I still banned? No, this recent stand against the tournament has nothing to do with it.

Play around it? You mean like I've been doing here for nearly five years, like I did on the PO ladder, on RBY2K10, THE Alternative, GameFAQs, the German circuit, and more? As usual you try to shape me as the villain while neglecting the form of your own hideous stature. I don't take kindly to this part of you, and I never will. There is no need to generalize and make nonsensical attacks at this point. Surely you can respect me more than that, as many other people do. It's not merely me asking this question, dear Marco. Several other people want me unbanned.

Before you accuse me of recklessly defecating on others, notice the huge glop of virtual feces in your hand.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Kaz and SoulWind like this.
  16. marcoasd

I would love you unbanned if you were up for playing, posting stone cold results (won/loss X-Y vs Z, ggs), enjoying your team chat and shut up. Nothing more than that - that's just what normal people do.
    The rest of them is fitting the "SWIM IN GARBAGE O YOU GARBAGE" motto - which unfortunately you're joining because you feel like you need to react, which is something you can't do with a lifetime ban pending.

That's not me trying to go against you - there's no reason as you won't even be an opponent in SPL! That's just stating facts: you have a lifetime ban pending - I didn't decide that! - so you need to behave.

Lusch and Chrysalis like this.
  17. GGFan

GGFan Member

My lifetime ban on Smogon does not extend here. If you dislike what I say on Pokemon Perfect, you're more than welcome to take your misguided anger elsewhere. You can't tell me what to say in my realm.

I have no qualms complaining about the filthy, disgusting garbage that remains sitting around when it should be somewhere far away from my vicinity. When people like you don't know how to behave, I will tell you when it's time to be taken out.

You can't write abrasive, hurtful things and then tell people not to react. Maybe you shouldn't pick a fight if you want to shake a hand.

Kaz likes this.
  18. Disaster Area

19. marcoasd

People who have the powers to unban you (players and people who like you -accordingly to you- don't, and you're not getting unbanned indeed) are reading here, on youtube and everhywhere else you write - they just do or get redirected. If you can't understand that, you're just a narrow-minded and stubborn guy who never learns from his mistakes and that's not my fault or anyone's.
    On top of that, I'm not going to answer further because this thread is not about you, and it definitely won't push your destiny towards jubilee/pardon - it's quite the opposite.
    Imagine you need to behave (flat out ignore Smogon) for one year - every single post you make about them, delays your pardon.
    Make your choice.

Chrysalis likes this.
  20. GGFan

GGFan Member

As I said, the main reason I've been doing all of this today was to answer the question "Why?" I wanted to know why I was banned and still am; years of silence and deference still resulted in ridicule and baseless accusations, yet this has accomplished more than silence ever has. Therefore I feel my actions were necessary, although I understand why it would be inappropriate to some people and apologize for the inconvenience it caused. However, you also need to understand why I feel the way I do. Imagine being ostracized over practically nothing for well over 10 years. Just try to imagine that. Nobody is perfect, and certainly not me. As intelligent as I try to be, I am emotional and passionate in my convictions. We all get frustrated sometimes.

I was never attached to Smogon. I always managed to stay relevant and be productive. However, I and many other people feel that not lifting my ban is inappropriate at this point. Too much time has passed to bother with who was right and who was wrong.

I am certainly not narrow minded, although I find it humorous that a kettle as black as you would make such an accusation. I made amends with Lutra after a feud that lasted over four years. I accepted CALLOUS's apology. I acknowledged in the Discord channel that my actions were wrong. I am capable of seeing other perspectives; however, the way you present yourself is often too aggressive and belligerent, to be honest. A lot of the language you use isn't necessary. I've told you this before, by the way, not to be a troll or because we're rivals, but because I genuinely don't want you to accidentally upset someone.

While I'm not narrow minded, I am someone who never compromises his beliefs for the sake of getting something. I never have and never will admit to doing things I never did. In most cases, I don't believe in lying just to satisfy someone or make them feel better. I am not doing this to apologize to Smogon, nor am I doing it because I want them to acknowledge to say they were wrong. It doesn't matter anymore. I just want to support my friends and thank everyone on Smogon who has supported me this whole time.

Kaz and eden's embrace like this.