1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

RBY Rose Red/Iris Blue [gen 1 mod]

Discussion in 'Tiers' started by KuraiTenshi26, Jul 19, 2019.

1. KuraiTenshi26

KuraiTenshi26 Member

Hello there, and welcome to the World of Pokemon! I'm Kurai, a big Gen 1 enthusiast!
    For some people, their journey through Kanto was a nostalgic time. Others still compete in it.
    As for myself... I study the generation as a hobby.

Once, there was a time where people felt that everything about the Kanto region had been
    studied to wits' end. However... Time has passed. Pokemon in the Kanto region have adapted to
    better fare against their surroundings, truly a phenomenon never seen before!

There is much to learn, and still many mysteries to solve. You'll face fun times, and
    tough challenges. A world of possibilities awaits...

... now, what did you say your name was again?

[​IMG]
    Join the dedicated Rose Red/Iris Blue discord for live discussion and getting into the heat of battle!

What is Rose Red/Iris Blue?

With the title a symbolism of an old generation budding anew, RRIB aims to make EVERY fully evolved Gen 1 Pokemon viable in the OU metagame. Whether it be through slightly buffing stats, a small movepool addition, restoring a learned move from a future generation, or the very rare revamp... the idea is to keep near every
    Pokemon's identity and playstyle intact while making it a suitable pick for competitive play!​

Rules

Mechanics:
    • Gen 1 mechanics
    • Modernized type chart:
      • Ghost is super-effective against psychic
      • Ice is not very effective against fire
      • Bug is not very effective against poison
      • Poison is neutral against bug
    • 1/256 miss rate on all moves is gone
    • Recovery moves don’t fail at specific hp numbers
    • Sleep is 5 turns max
    • Freeze now acts as a 5-turn max sleep, with equivalent “wakeup” chances to sleep
    • Team Preview
    Clauses: Gen 1 OU clauses, Team Preview
    Bans
    : None!
    Unbans: Mewtwo, Mew (both have been nerfed to OU viability)

Strategy

The first generation of Pokemon is a very naturally bulky offensive metagame, with even the frailest of Pokemon being able to take a strong neutral hit if need be. Status is also incredibly important due to the lack of items and cleric moves, as well as status in general just being more punishing than 7th generation play. As a result, having good type synergy backed by a couple fast Pokemon and some good paralysis spread is the timeless but effective formula to a good Gen 1 team.

Alternatively, poison spread got a fantastic buff in the revamp of Dream Eater (a 180 bp Ghost move that works on sleeping or poisoned foes), alongside a plethora of strong abusers of this move. Whether you decide to spread paralysis or poison is up to you, build around their payoffs and you should find success.

Q&A

Q: How was [insert Pokemon] changed?
    A: You can find ALL changes in the metagame document, including all changes made to the Pokemon.

Q: I feel [insert Pokemon] is too weak/strong, what do I do?
    A: As long as you are constructive about things, feel free to post in this thread or on the metagame discord about the perceived strength/weakness of a Pokemon in the metagame. This is a mod after all, so there is the freedom to manually buff/nerf Pokemon to make a better metagame! As long as you keep in line with the metagame philosophy, suggestions to tweak Pokemon are really appreciated. Crying about something being "OP!!" is an ill-advised decision that will swiftly get dismissed. Explaining that "I think X is too strong/weak because ... and maybe here are some suggestions to tweak X" is fantastic and encouraged!

Q: Replay uploads aren't working. How do I share my game?
    A: The server that is currently hosting the metagame has some issues with replays. Sometimes, replay uploads will be offline. In these cases, download them instead and share the replay in the discord if you want to get some discussion going about a match. This replay dilemma is actively being worked on, and I'm very open to this metagame being hosted on a different server to fix this issue faster (PM me if interested wink).

Q: I found a bug, what do I do?
    A: Post it in this thread, or PM me on pperfect/smogon/discord! I don't bite, just keep it civil.

Resources

- Playable and visualized at the dedicated client
    REPLAY UPLOAD STATUS: ONLINE

- Dedicated damage calculator
    - Metagame document contains all:
    • Mechanic changes
    • Move property changes
    • Pokemon stat/movepool/typing changes
    • Pokemon analyses
    • Sample sets
    • Speed tiers
    • Type-based compendia
    Sample Replays

[1] Nidoking Bulky Offense vs Fearow Offense
    [2] Scyther Bulky Offense vs Porygon Offense
    [3] Double Psychic vs Pidgeot Bulky Offense
    [4] Dragonite Offense vs Pinsir Para Spam

2. KuraiTenshi26

KuraiTenshi26 Member

Sample Teams & Cores

The metagame is very young, so the sample teams section may change frequently. but here are some teams to get you started if you're unsure of what to battle others with.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Alakazam
    - Psychic
    - Recover
    - Thunder Wave
    - Seismic Toss

Blastoise
    - Hydro Pump
    - Earthquake
    - Blizzard
    - Submission

Exeggutor
    - Sleep Powder
    - Psychic
    - Explosion
    - Stun Spore

Clefable
    - Body Slam
    - Hyper Beam
    - Soft-Boiled
    - Thunderbolt

Articuno
    - Blizzard
    - Whirlwind
    - Agility
    - Hyper Beam

Tauros
    - Body Slam
    - Hyper Beam
    - Earthquake
    - Thunderbolt
    Scyther
    - Swords Dance
    - Twineedle
    - Wing Attack
    - Hyper Beam

Charizard
    - Fire Blast
    - Hyper Fang
    - Earthquake
    - Submission

Exeggutor
    - Sleep Powder
    - Psychic
    - Explosion
    - Stun Spore

Chansey
    - Blizzard
    - Soft-Boiled
    - Thunder Wave
    - Thunderbolt

Golem
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Explosion
    - Rest

Starmie
    - Psychic
    - Thunderbolt
    - Recover
    - Thunder Wave
    Alakazam
    - Psychic
    - Recover
    - Thunder Wave
    - Reflect

Mewtwo
    - Psychic
    - Blizzard
    - Submission
    - Self-Destruct

Moltres
    - Fire Blast
    - Fire Spin
    - Agility
    - Whirlwind

Parasect
    - Spore
    - Leech Life
    - Slash
    - Stun Spore

Blastoise
    - Hydro Pump
    - Earthquake
    - Blizzard
    - Submission

Electrode
    - Thunderbolt
    - Thunder Wave
    - Hyper Beam
    - Explosion

Offensive
    Cores
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Defensive
    Cores
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  3. KuraiTenshi26

KuraiTenshi26 Member

Reserved for Viability Rankings

4. KuraiTenshi26

KuraiTenshi26 Member

Reserved for Hall of Fame

5. Dizno

Dizno Grime lover Season Host

Good, but not quite adv 50

Waveshaper and Gacu like this.
  6. KuraiTenshi26

KuraiTenshi26 Member

Registration for our first tournament is here, featuring a $50 prize for the winner. Whether you are interested in mods, like RBY, or just want to get that bread, it can't hurt to sign up and play. Registration closes on August 4th at 11:59 pm EST, so get prepping!