1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION: For our 2023 season all of our tournaments will be hosted via the Pokémon Perfect Discord server rather than the forums. Please join us there and continue to enjoy our tournaments! https://discord.gg/2CsWWnan2A
  3. Tournaments

Check out the 2024 Tournament Calendar and join our discord server to participate in our tournaments!

robot wars / battlebots

Discussion in 'Not Pokémon' started by Jame$ G, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Jame$ G

Jame$ G Member

And one more vid I'm gonna share while we're on a roll of talking about my nerdy passions. Not sure if any of you watched this series but I thought it was really cool, essentially they're remote controlled fighting robots, 250lb killing machines, super exciting stuff. The video isn't actually 16 mins long, it's got a huge dead zone afterwards.

2. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Furr and Power Member

I'd not actually watched any battlebots yet :O I watched a little robot wars whilst I was younger and started rewatching them a week or two ago but got a tiny bit bored, gonna have to try out some robotica and battlebots though!

Must admit having watched this now I plain miss hearing craig charles' and jonathan pearce's voices.

If you want to watch some of the best fights, some of the best robots from the UK series from the top of my head: Razer, Chaos 2, Hypnodisc, Firestorm, Mortis, Pussycat, Tornado (and I guess Storm 2), Bigger Brother, Panic Attack, Stinger (there's a different robot in the UK with the same name as that American one, it's a pretty neat thwackbot ;]), Behemoth. I promise you you'll see much better fights than that one which you linked. Terrorhurtz too I should probably mention (killerhurtz in some of the earlier series though) and is one that actually went on to do incredibly well in battlebots from what I've read.

Maybe a little history but the UK generally preferred flippers whilst the US had much more of a thing for spinning discs. Perhaps it has to do with Cassius in series 2, with its large flipper, self-righting itself in a trial, that so many people cottoned on and made various versions of such a thing, notably chaos 2 which won the 3rd and 4th series.

The rest I leave you to go and explore ;]

3. Jame$ G

Jame$ G Member

Haha oh yeah, I lived in England, I remember Robot Wars! I actually spent a day in George Francis pit repairing Chaos 2 with him between fights, that thing was insane and George was an awesome guy.

I'm not sure i'd agree Robot Wars was better. Do you remember Razer? Well the robot getting its ass handed to it in this fight is Warhead, built by the same people who made Razer. They actually took Razer to Battlebots a few years ago and it lost every fight, so they made Warhead because Ian actually said Razor isn't good enough to compete in Battlebots. British robots are all Gravity clones now and only really running Bosch motors with 2hp, most battlebots run over volted magmotor PMG400s, and are about 15hp. John Reid who made Terrorhurtz and Killerhurtz acutally made a new one for this called Beta, it looked mad, but the airline lost a load of their parts. The beat robots in the world are considered to be Megabyte and Tombstone, that's why I like this yellow one, he's beaten all of them with its twin brother Sewer Snake, he actually beat Storm2 2 times out of 2 fights with that robot too. It looks a little goofy, but I reckon Chaos 2 would be no match for it at all.

Disaster Area likes this.
  4. Jame$ G

Jame$ G Member

This is Tombstone

5. Disaster Area

Can't say I'm ever comfortable with exposed wheels like that.

And some of it comes down to driving, some of it comes down to robot design. Also bear in mind the arena may favour different sorts of robots. With the CPZ's, flame pit, the pit itself, etc. stuff like storm 2, behemoth, and razer are more effective, whereas in that arena seen there since it's more raw robot vs robot without as much in the way of external win conditions, raw power is much more effective, so you can see why spinners would flourish. Honestly only flippers, axes and stuff like tornado would really be effective other forms of weaponry in my mind. Thoughts on stuff like Typhoon 2? In my eyes the only real way you could beat that was by getting a flipper under it before it charges up enough. With its manouvreability I reckon it could have a go at those wheels pretty easily.

Jame$ G likes this.
  6. Disaster Area

Also I'd say gravity just looks like a much further on version of cassius and chaos 2.

7. Jame$ G

Jame$ G Member

Typhoon2 was very good actually, contrary to the judges decision I don't believe it actually beat Storm2 but it was a really good robot. Same design as Megabyte pretty much but Megabyte could self right, they actually fought each other too, it was crazy! And yeah most people say that about the exposed wheels, but as that Bronco vs Tombstone fight will show you, wheel protection is only any good if its strong enough to take the spinners, which are so destructive now you don't really have enough weight to shield 3 sides of your robot against them effectively. Matt Maxham, the guy with the yellow robot is known as "the spinner killer" he was the first person who managed to make a robot that can beat them. He says he puts all the weight into the front shield and drives very carefully, he does well against them, get a wedge underneath them, then once they start toppling they tend to destroy themselves. Reliabilty is the biggest weakness of those spin bots. And yes you're right, that guy is so successful largely due to his incredible driving, but you have to build a robot that's driveable; he gears down to about 8mph which is plenty quick enough, and gives a lot of torque and good control. 2 wheeled robots geared for 20mph cannot be driven well, even in the hands of skilled drivers.

8. Jame$ G

Jame$ G Member

I'm actually building an antweight that's a very similar design to Storm2, I AM putting titanium wheel guards on mine and there's some ridiculous spinners & drums in my club which i've seen send robots straight out the arena! I guess come January i'll find out how useful they are lol

9. Jame$ G

Jame$ G Member

Pretty much yeah, the chassis and drive is like cassius, the flipper is rear pivot like chaos. They're pretty cool actually, my hangup is just that the drivetrain is designed wrong; they dont have enough wheels, the ones they do have are on the end of the robot which weight is transferred away from, so their chassis flaws essentially render them unable to actually push another robot of equal or greater mass, a problem 4 wheeled robots don't suffer from. I think Chaos was a little better as it had drive wheels on the front, which actually loaded up under weapon use, hence the fact it could actually push things around, it also didn't do wheelies every time the flipper missed like the Gravity bots do.

10. Disaster Area

Can't find robotica season 1 anywhere x_x

e: found a couple of recordings and now think it doesn't look that good. And American commentary grates on my ears tbh x_x

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  11. Jame$ G

Jame$ G Member

Haha I must have numbed to it by now! Damn Canadian accents are even stronger. I must admit I don't think there wiil ever be a presenter I prefer to Jeremy Clarkson! Craig Charles is cool but I have trouble seeing him as anyone other than Lister from Red Dwarf lol (love that show). I liked Phillipa Forester and that blond girl, I can't remember her name? And i was most disappointed the new Battlebots doesn't have Carmen Electra in her school uniform ;) Jonathan Pierce didn't really woo me that much, not sure if its just because I can't stand football or his creepy drunk santa demeanor, but it struck me that he didn't really understand enough about technology to be narrating it? Idk, I was probably looking for something different to the average viewer I guess ;)

12. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END. Member

Are there rules against stuff like mounting a ClF5 sprayer on robots? Because that idea came into my head about 2 seconds after hearing of the sport.

(I imagine ClF5, at least, would have to be banned in open-air arenas to preserve the sight and health of spectators from the eye-searingly-hot fireball of toxic death, but idk.)

13. Disaster Area

Yeah generally there's rules and regulations in place for stuff like that, so stuff like flamethrowers and the like generally aren't permitted. I don't remember the exact rules though

14. magic9mushroom

The only episode of Battlebots I've actually seen had someone using a flamethrower.

marcoasd likes this.
  15. Disaster Area

That being said I've never followed battlebots, that's James's area. I just followed Robot Wars [the UK version but it ran its course on TV long ago now]

16. Jame$ G

Jame$ G Member

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with this thread very well. Chlorine pentafluoride? I don't know much about it; what would it do? Just act as a highly corrosive oxidiser? Liquid/gas weaponary is banned anyway; flamethrowers are permitted atm but not with oxygen as that's what makes a a cutting torch. I would probably use liquid nitrogen if liquids were allowed, with a big impact; there's no metal on this planet that can resist that.

Anyway this years season is in the process of airing now, there is some insane action this year - a robot actually gets killed by a flamethrower! Here's a link with the HQ torrents if anyone was interested Battlebots Torrents - Watch & Download on EZTV

17. magic9mushroom

ClF5 and the related ClF3 set almost everything on fire on contact, including things ordinarily not capable of being set on fire such as water (and, thereby, flesh), sand and concrete. The Nazis were interested in using ClF3 for incendiary munitions since it doesn't need an igniter and fires set by the interhalogens cannot be extinguished by any means until the interhalogen is completely consumed (also, the smoke from such a fire is full of HF, which is toxic and corrosive in its own right). However, the problems with handling the stuff (it can only be stored in scrupulously-passivated metal containers - it rapidly corrodes Teflon and sets everything else on fire on contact - and if there's a spill the aforementioned resistance to extinguishment works against you) meant that they didn't consider it worth the risks.

So I'd imagine the result of a battlebot getting sprayed with ClF5 would likely be a pile of slag.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    Jame$ G likes this.
  18. Jame$ G

Jame$ G Member

Wow that sounds absolutely terrifying! I used to work with ammonium nitrate and that was always what scared me with self oxidizers; once it's going there's no way to extinguish it, you just run and tell the fire brigade to leave it alone. Doesn't sound anywhere near as volatile as CIF5, it certainly isn't self igniting, but it makes wicked pipe bombs with sugar/diesel! I don't think there's a cat in hells chance health & safety would ever approve such caustic compound for anything on TV, let alone something with a live time audience! God that would be an awesome sight to behold though.

19. magic9mushroom

Then behold.

Translation of the names, in order: Plexiglass, rubber gloves, clean leather, dirty leather, (gas) mask, wood, glove + water.

ClF5 reacts essentially identically, but it boils more easily and produces a slightly hotter flame with any given fuel.

Disaster Area and Jame$ G like this.
  20. Jame$ G

Jame$ G Member

o_O well that looks utterly sinister! In fairness you could probably ignite all of those materials with a butane torch, just no where near as violently. How is it stored? Is there a specific alloy that resists it, or just the usual group 6 stuff?