1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

Pokémon Review your year here

Discussion in 'Chat' started by GGFan, Jan 4, 2017.

1. GGFan

GGFan Member

In this thread you can provide a retrospective of your 2016, highlighting your highs, lows, and goals for this year.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    eden likes this.
  2. Ortheore

Ortheore Host Emeritus

2016... in many ways was kinda shitty.

Started off the year getting into SPL, only for it to be one of the worst experiences I have ever had in competitive pokemon, thanks to some poor play and garbage behind the scenes bullshit, including my team basically ghosting me. That, combined with a shitty pocl run later on in the year convinced me that team tournaments are not my thing and therefore I will not be joining any in the future.

Then things got so bad for me irl that I had to miss a GSC season. I also ended up pulling out of uni, which I think was a good decision in that the place I was at was shit and my new degree aligns more with my interests, but it also means at least another 3 years of uni which fucking sucks. On the topic of gsc, I wanted to try getting into it, and enjoyed it for a time but atm I just don't have the passion for it, unlike RBY

In terms of pokemon, I'm not really interested in achievements. I just want to do my own thing, experimenting with teambuilding and playing the best that I can. Probably this will lead to me getting the odd notable accomplishment without doing anything amazing, but I don't mind.

I'm really looking forward to our rby/gsc tiering projects. Although rby is stalled atm, the whole process has been loads of fun, it's really enjoyable exploring new tiers and I really believe that the metas we've created are loads of fun. As for GSC, I'm really looking forward to exploring new metas there as I get the sense not a lot has been done in that realm. I'd also like to roll with Enigami's proposal to preserve GSC OU but use ubers as the starting point for our tiers, but I don't know if that'll come to fruition

Overall, despite being pretty crap for most of the year I feel like my current position isn't too bad. Both irl and in terms of pokemon I'm mostly happy with how things are progressing. I'm not expecting super great things, but 2017 should be mostly ok I guess

Diegolh, eden, Disaster Area and 4 others like this.
  3. Peasounay

Peasounay qui peut me stopper Host Emeritus

why not

My 2016 year was my first complete year into competitive rby (I started in september 2015 but was like really bad the first few months). Basically, I didn't do shit during the first third of the year, Ijust got past round 2 of a mt for the first time and that's p much it, then things got interesting.

I don't know how you say it in english, but through the year I had what we call "un déclic" in french, which is basically when at a precise moment, you understand how things work, you put all the pieces of the puzzle together, understand the reasons of why stuff works like this, and from this you drastically improve, it's what happened to me.

There was my rby cup run, top 4 of a 256 man tournament is obviously something I'm proud of but I feel like I played fine, but not like a top player (had a share a of luck obv), it started my rise bit and gave me confidence.

Then there was season 9 which was very nice for me, I lost to Alexander in the first round of the first MT which is expected and not very frustrating, and then I managed to win my first master tournament, which felt awesome, and it gave me even more confidence about the fact that I can perform in this game. There was luck involved, but we all know how tournaments work. Then I got third place in the last mt of the season behind marco and lusch, very frustrating finals for me, but the game gives and takes. I had to play marco for the 2nd place of the season, I managed to win (idk how lol), it's the only time I beat marco in a tour xd

Then came season 10, and holy fuck this one was frustrating. First MT I made it into finals and lost to beds in a series where I could do close to nothing, but it was alright, you can't win everytime and I was happy with how I played (and it's not like beds is a scrub anyway rofl). Then I lost in the semi finals of the two other mts to goldey and beds, in very frustrating series once again, things didn't go well and I had some chokes, worst feeling in the world. In wchamp I made 5th place, very close to the top 4. I'm very bitter about this season even though I made second once again, because I feel like I could've done better, and 100% of my places were frustrating. But I can only blame myself, because I realised I didn't win the games when it actually mattered, which is the step i'm lacking. At least it gives me even more motivation to perform.

Team tour-wise, I had a good experience in wcop, and so i joined spl this season and will hopefully play wcop once again, but I don't care that much about those because my impact on the result is very small, so i'll just play my games and try to win them.

I won a couple of small tournaments like mewbers and stadium on smogon, and insomnia, but they're gimmicks tours and luck was a lot in my favor.

The good thing is that I managed to win a master tournament, so now I can have less single result oriented goals and can focus on consistency, which is the best point in my two last seasons.

Goals for this year:

- Win a second master tournament
    - Place in top 3 of every season
    - Win RBY Cup, I don't know what there is with this tournament but I just want to win it more than anything, but it's a bit unrealistic for reasons you can guess

Tough goals right ? Especially when I take a look at the competion, but I want to set difficult ones.

Overall goals:

- Win a season, not much more to say
    - Beat the top players I haven't beaten in tournaments yet
    - Just being consistent
    - Have fun, because it's the main thing that matters, whether it's by playing or by being a part of this awesome community

eden and Disaster Area like this.
  4. GGFan

GGFan Member

Ok, I may as well do this too since I made this thread.

The first four months of the year were definitely a roller coaster for me. I lost in the second round of the first MT of the year to fapkingg in a highly frustrating series that was heavily influenced by RNG at certain points. I played well and it was an intense series, however, and I was able to keep playing at a high level in the Supreme RBY OU Tournamnent on SmogonJr, defeating Alexander in the finals to win it to win my first tournament since the Smogon World Championship last year. I was one of only two or three people to beat him during his big run, so it felt good. Around this same time, though, I got paired against Earthworm in the first round of the second MT and ended up losing in a very competitive five-game series. Even though losing in the first round sucks, the fact that I played well and had been doing so for three months now eased the blow a bit. The last tournament of season 9, MT24, was bittersweet. I had a great series against Lusch in the quarterfinals that I managed to win which was, sadly, followed by an incredibly disappointing one against marco in the semi finals. It wasn't disappointing in that I played badly, but disappointing in that it was one of those series that was decided almost entirely by RNG. Nonetheless, I was still playing very well and was happy with my consistency.

I was the manager of Team Electric for the first PPL. Unfortunately, the tournament will be remembered for the controversial set I had against Golden Gyarados, in which I argued vehemently for the victory on behalf of my team like a true manager. The whole thing was blown out of proportion by everyone, things got personal, and it created tension that didn't have to be there. To be honest I kind of enjoyed the argument and felt that it was my responsibility to do so, but this one is definitely my biggest regret of the year.

I was more consistent in the summer. Despite getting swept by SunnyR I was the MVP of Team Russia of the International League, scoring nice victories against Golden Gyarados, Peasounay, and Ortheore. While I lost to marco in one of the final matches of the tournament, it was a great series that could have gone either way, so no shame there. On the plus side it was a big match, as our team still had a very good chance at advancing into the finals. I also did very well in the first Reduction Tournament, beating Disaster Area, Golden Gyarados, and Mister Tim in highly entertaining and interesting games. I really liked the concept and might host the next one, so watch out for that. I also competed in the Indigo Cup, in which I managed to go even (6-6) along with most players, lol. Well, when you play in a tournament like that with the highest ranked RBY players, going .500 is ok. On the MT side of things I stayed hot, having a grueling three-hour series against SunnyR and a fantastic set against stunner047, both of which I managed to win to reach the semi finals of MT25. I faced teal6 in the semi finals. After winning the first game in what was one of the best I had in the year, teal took control and won three in a row. Out of every set I had in 2016, that was honestly the only one in which I genuinely felt like I lost only because I was outplayed. I was able to keep my momentum going by making the semi finals for the third time in a row, but got stopped by Mister Tim in in Episode V of Hax Wars. Then, in MT27 I initially received the DQ win in the first round and was set to face a very inexperienced player in the quarterfinals, but I guess I should stop there. In my own record books, though, I do count that as top 4 finish, as I was never officially eliminated from the tournament and did get the DQ win in the first round. It would have been cool if I made the semi finals, as I would have faced Lusch in a rematch that would have basically decided the winner of the season. What could have been. Oh well, at least I was still hot as far my skill level was concerned.

The last four or so months were ok. I blew a two-games-to-zero lead against Genesis7 in one of my worst series ever, not only because of the RNG involved in the later games, but because our timezone difference was so bad that the only time I could play him was when I was at work. I surreptitiously played our games in my office, minimizing my window half the time and not focusing at all. Actually, the fact that I even won the first two was a miracle. I was pretty burned out with Pokemon at this point and thought about taking the rest of the year off, but once I got the coinflip win in the World Championship and noticed that I had a good bracket in the second round I decided to keep playing. I beat Ortheore in the second round and made it into the quarterfinals, where I had an amazing set against Bedschibaer albeit one that was influenced a bit too much by RNG at certain points. I also had an intense set against Alexander which went the full three, but it was too haxy for my tastes. Even though I got knocked out in the quartefinals, the fact that I was able to play as well as I did against two top-level opponents earned me 6th place, which is pretty damn good in a tournament called the RBY World Championship. I also played very well in MT29, advancing into the semi finals where I met Ortheore yet again, who beat me in a great five-game series. To be honest I think I would have won or at least would have been able to force a tie if Sing didn't miss three times in a row as my team matched up against his greatly, but it's RBY. It happens. The last tournament of the year, MT30, was another highly controversial one for me. I disagree with the way the decision was made, but it happened and that's that. I actually wasn't disappointed with the games, though, because I played so well that even my opponent admitted multiple times that I should have won, and damn I did some really nice hustling in the fourth game. I mean, when you play so well that your opponent refuses to take the win and gives it to you, you know you were doing something right. With that said, in my own record book I count MT30 as another semi-final appearance.

Overall, in retrospect I'm surprised by how consistent I was. I actually thought I was kind of weak as far as results went, but I managed to win two tournaments (one which was kind of big, I guess). Excluding the International League and Reduction Tournament I played in 12 tournaments in 2016. I had eight top 6 finishes and seven top 4 finishes. The Indigo Cup was kind of disappointing, but I still managed to break even and played very well overall. I don't really win tournaments these days, but I can still outperform most people in regard to overall consistency, which means more to me at this point.

My goals for this year are to enjoy the game more. I don't want to obsess over numbers so much, as I already have enough positive results. It would be awesome to finally win another MT or at least make the finals again, but it's more important that I keep playing well. If I play well but lose, that's ok because it's RBY.

I would also like to spend more time with ADV. Even though I got wrecked by Bomber in the finals, I was still able to beat UD in the semi finals of an ADV MT, which was a big confidence booster and showed me that I can still go in ADV despite not playing it for years. I tried to get back into GSC, but to be honest I just find it way too slow and boring. It was really cool to be paired against Conflict in the last round of one of the MTs, as I had been wanting to play him in a meaningful set again ever since our cult classic four years ago, but I just couldn't bring myself to build teams for a gen I don't care about. Sorry, Ortheore.

One more goal I have is to not argue with anybody, even if I'm right. It's just not worth it, and nobody gives a shit. At the end of the day it's just random numbers and Chinese cartoon characters on the internet.

eden and Disaster Area like this.
  5. Lusch

Lusch A critical hit! Member

Seems cool. My Pokemon-year 2016:
    At the start of the year I was still pretty new to the RBY tournament scene, not having accomplished anything yet. Still, I was confident going into the tournament year since I had made round 2 in the last MT of 2015, losing to Marcoasd, who, as I already knew, was probably the best RBY player there is. Managing to make is close and go 2-3 and have a not at all one sided game 5 made me believe in being able to achieve good results in RBY tournaments.

I participated in RBY 1U season 8, where I got elimintaed in round 2 of MT 22, losing in a close 2-3 set against the future unbeaten season Champion Alexander. I also got eliminated in round 2 of MT 23, losing in an (again) extremely close 2-3 set against Earthworm (which in retrospect presumably got me a spot in SPL 2017, since, as it turned out Earthworm recommended my manager to buy me for the team's RBY slot, where EW is going to play GSC). MT 24 was the first time I made it into round 3, losing 1-3 to GGFan, as the score tells it was not as close as my previous exits, but was still a good series in which I can be satisfied with the way I played. Overall, I was close to achieving a better result but consistently making it into round 2, only losing to great opponents in a close fashion preserved my confidence.

Season 9 started with my first and so far only MT victory in MT 25, where I had to defeat 5 good/great players to win, most notably scoring my first ever tournament-set win in a KO stage against Marcoasd in round 3. Being in the overall lead after the first MT, I for a second thought I had a shot at the whole season. I recieved a huge setback in MT 26 being paired against Marcoasd in round 1 of the tournament, very unfortunate... He got his revenge as he beat me with the same result, 3-1, as I had beaten him in the MT before. The early exit shattered my hopes at season gold somewhat but I had to keep on trying to do my best in the last MT of the season as, as it turned out, the season was wide open after two MTs for a variety of players. In Mt 27 I managed to stay focussed and made it into the finals, where I faced off against my "friends" (" because it's the internet and I don't know either of them irl) Marcoasd and Peasounay. The latter of which had the exact same number of points as I did while Marco was 2 behind. For me it basically came down to the series vs Peasounay, which was the most important tournament series of my Pokemon career so far. I managed to beat him 3-1 in a great series, needing only one win vs Marco to secure the season, which I landed by losing 2-3 vs him in a close series as usual. That I did not manage to win my second MT was not important to me at that point at all since I managed to win the entire season, which is something I wanted to achieve ever since I joined this site and had seen that I can compete with the best.

I chose to take a break from MTs after this and only joined the RBY World Championship for season 10. After getting through the group stages defeating tough opponents everywhere (and having to play two extension rounds in the process), I once again got paired against Marcoasd in the semi finals and, once again, lost in a close set 2-3. I ended up beating Alexander 3-2 in the game for bronze in a great series and at least managed to get bronze of the World Championship, which obviously is a good result, even if I really wanted to get gold in this one. But Marcoasd seems to be the one guy that I cannot beat, no matter how close I come, I managed to beat him once in a KO stage (MT 25) and immediately ended up winning the tour.

Between seasons I played in the RBY Cup on smogon, losing in the quarterfinals 1-2 to, who else should it be, Marcoasd... I also played in Cerulean Cup, getting eliminated at some point by Marcoasd after beating one of his qualified alts but I could not get them all. In Tokusane Cup I built a team with Beds and we made it to the semi finals, losing to Marcoasd/Isa (this time I did not lose to Marco at least). I also got subbed in for Ortheore into Indigo Cup, but at the time I got subbed in, he was already out and I only had to play matches for completeness but did not make a good impression in them regardless, losing to Beds and (the one game Orth had remaining against) fappking. I also played some lower tier RBY tournaments which were fun for me, since I really like the lower tiers of PP (up until 4U).
    At the end of 2016 I joined Vermillion and Saffron Cup, which are currently underway.

So overall I'd say I had a pretty successfull Pokemon-year 2016, always putting up a good fight, win or lose, never giving up. At the end of the year I even got picked up for SPL despite not appearing much on smogon besides the RBY Cup, which, however people might see SPL-level regarding RBY, is still some kind of reward for my RBY success since it is a tournament you cannot just enter but have to get picked for.

For 2017, I don't know exactly how much I want to play in tournaments. I intend to play the Cups here on PP (as far as I qualify for them) but do not intend to sign up for season 11, since my bachelor thesis is coming up plus I picked up a side job next to my academic studies, plus playing simultaniously in Vermillion and Saffron Cup and SPL. I just do not want to commit for such a long timespan. As far as aims go in Pokemon, I want to win one of those Cups and hope to be able to beat Marcoasd more often in crucial matches since (as you might have figured out by now) he is the one who kept excelling me by a hair's breadth on multiple occasions which is obviously something that annoys me a little ;)

Lutra, Diegolh, Disaster Area and 2 others like this.
  6. Lutra

Lutra Site Founder Owner

2016 was a good year for me:

6-1 record in SPL , 2-2 (3-2) in POWC, 4-3 in EGL from 0-3 down, 7-7 (joint 3rd) in Smogon Super Cup and 9-1 in PO Gym, as well as joint winner in a PP stadium tournament and joint runner up in PP Mewbers tournament.

I also got to semis in Smogon stadium where I lost in an even match to eventual winner peasounay and lost early on to finalist Sunny in Smogon RBY Ubers.

I think that's all the tours I played :)

Oh and I got to top 40 in Random Battle ladder, as well getting high in pretty much all the lesser random ladders.

Disaster Area likes this.
  7. Isa

Isa Member

i peaked at 4th on randbats ladder

8. Bedschibaer

Bedschibaer officially retired from bo1 rby Member

To be honest I haven't kept track of all my results as closely as you guys did, but I can confidently say that I did better than the year before in 2016. I usually don't set myself too many goals because I don't play this game to reach certain achievements. Only goal I had (for a pretty long time now) was winning a season. Ever since I came in second after marco in that one season, can't remember which one, I realized that I have what it takes to perform consistently and that there isn't really anything stopping me. Peas was talking about that thing where you have a clearer vision in certain moments, where you just understand everything about something. Pretty sure what you mean is the psychological theory of "flow" or "the zone" and I think I can actually get into the zone pretty easily, where I just have a deeper understanding of the game and don't get distracted by anything else and just play to my best. Exactly that is what I am looking for in this game, because I have fun trying to be good and having challenging, exciting and interesting games in the process. If I win or lose isn't too important for me.

Results wise I don't remember everything I participated in but there are a few things that stick out since they mean alot to me. Winning the season was obviously the highlight this year. I do think I could've performed better though, when you consider that I only won 1 of the 4 finals I've been in. Maybe that's a little too ambitious though. Winning that PO conference tournament thing with marco, alex and me was pretty big, because beating marco in important tournaments is always nice. Having a good second half of my SPL season was nice, so was making the playoffs for the first time with my team and I am happy to say that I contributed a few key wins in my time with that team. Making finals in WCoP was pretty important for me too, especially since I feel we could've won that. Disregarding all of the ghosting drama, of course. That didn't really influence me anyways since I didn't partake in that at all. My record there could've been better but I had some important wins too, the tiebreaker series in the semifinals vs Italy comes to mind. Every hard earned win is important for me though.

In other online/gaming related issues I can say I made some new friends on here and it's nice to see new people rising to serious competitors on this website. Special shoutout to Peasounay and Lusch, even though you aren't exactly new you both had quite a breakout year. Maybe we can break the usual marco vs alex vs beds conferences in the future, just to make it a bit more interesting :rolleyes:. I didn't get around to do shit for my youtube channel again, even though I have been planning that for a very long time now. Guess that's a good place to lead over to new years resolutions:
    - I want to make that one rank over Elite Grandmaster, simply because it isn't completely out of reach for me so I think I should be able to do it
    - I want to do some entertaining videos, both humorous and "serious" ones.
    - I want to have enough time to play this game without it interfering with my real life

IRL I can't really complain about this year. I am still the hot shit, my social life is avid, I have a gee eff, I found some new friends this year. I have been slacking a bit in university lately, which I want to fix in 2017 to get closer to graduating and I decided to eat healthier and do some more sport. Partially for my health, but mainly for the ladies tbqh.

Genesis7, Lusch, Lutra and 1 other person like this.
  9. Lusch

Lusch A critical hit! Member

I could not remember all of it of the top of my head either, I just looked it up ;P
    But after doing so, it all came back pretty clearly tbh