1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

(Mostly) Quitting RBY

Discussion in 'Not Pokémon' started by Ortheore, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Ortheore

Ortheore Host Emeritus

So a few weeks ago I thoroughly shat the bed vs SMB in the smogon tour, and with that came and went the last meaningful RBY match for 2020 for me. That kinda meant there was nothing to do but look to the future, and frankly I found little reason for optimism.

The Counter Farce

I don’t think it’s controversial to say that pretty much everything about the decision to patch Counter was a shitshow. Although much of the community has shifted over to Smogon, PP is still a significant enough community hub that explicitly excluding all activity from PP is grossly misrepresenting the community, especially when coupled with laughably bad metrics that were used as criteria. But you know what? All of that might’ve been forgivable if the players that got shafted had an opportunity to “opt in” to the suspect test, but no such opportunity was given. This was blatantly unfair and saw many people who are passionate about the game excluded from the vote. The outcome was so brazenly illegitimate that we should be considering scrapping the result a priority.

The end result is that we as a community have been forced to swallow a disgusting act of regression. Because of this abomination of a vote conducted by smogon, EVERYONE has to stick their heads in the sand, and whenever we discover something we don’t like, we’re now forced to pretend it isn’t real. I will of course note that as independent communities, both PP and RBY2K20 could theoretically just run their own rules, but in practice this is mere wishful thinking, and there are good reasons why it wouldn’t work, hence Smogon's decision affects everyone. So effectively, we’re now trying to deny the reality in front of us, that Counter is incompatible with competitive RBY, and I cannot abide by that. To wilfully choose ignorance by ignoring research that furthers our understanding of the game is sickening. I was planning on quitting the game if it got patched, then Hogg and the RBY council fucked things up so spectacularly that the result could not be considered legitimate, and so I stuck around and tried to think of ways to fight the decision instead.

Despite the vote being an absolute farce, resulting in a disastrous outcome, the worst part of all is that I really get the sense that no-one seems to care enough to revisit the issue. Despite how badly everyone got shafted, even those who opposed this turd of a ruling seem to be accepting everything that’s happened, seem to be fine accepting a sham game that pretends to simulate Pokemon games but is explicitly adding multiple new mods to the game. When you’re adding all these mods, why not play something like Pokemon Violet? From my experience, it’s simply better than RBY- the only reason I prefer RBY to Violet is that playing the actual games is something I value. Overall, the fact that people seem to be fine with getting screwed over like this is super depressing. The kicker is that from my conversations with people over on Smogon, they’re not even interested in working out how they could’ve not turned the whole thing into a fiasco

Where is the Community Going?

Another thing that is less than ideal is that I really have no idea what’s happening with the community as a whole. Amaranth is right when they say that PP isn’t close to what it used to be, which is something I definitely need to accept some responsibility for as well, given that I was formerly a leader here. That said, there’s still definitely enough life here that we can still turn it around. RBY2K20 hasn’t proven to be the panacea that I was optimistic that it could be, though that is an evolving situation, so I still see some hope there, especially with PvK being proactive about developing things.

By and large though, the community has migrated over to smogon, which would be fine, but my experience there hasn’t been positive either. Obviously, the Counter vote was a mess, but even beyond that nothing seems to happen there. There doesn’t seem to be much in the way of discussion, and when you try to contribute nobody bothers to follow through on those contributions. The place feels less like a home for RBY, and more like a grave. This is only exacerbated by the fact that there’s a significant portion of smogon’s playerbase that’s eager to kill off RBY at the nearest opportunity. Thankfully, even the smogon staff are pushing back on this, and with how things have gone in the discussion on their major team tournaments, this conflict should be settled for a very long time.

A Lot of Complaining, So Where’s the Action?

Given that I’m essentially just complaining about the current situation with this post, it might be fair to wonder what I’m actually going to do about it. Honestly though, it’s tough for me to see what I can do. Last year I got a full time job and this year I moved out of home, and now I’m in a position where I just don’t have a lot of time to spare for Pokemon. As much as I’d still like to be active, I can’t realistically devote the kind of time that I used to. In a way, this kinda exacerbates my desire to complain, because things have been heading in a direction that I really feel isn’t positive, but there’s little I can do about it. A lot of it just feels hopeless.

At this point I really think I’m better off quitting, though I may stick around in a limited capacity to help with rby2k20, idk.

Zokuru likes this.
  2. GGFan

GGFan Member

......Anyways, I'm still obviously never coming back here, but in lieu of this post I thought it'd be pertinent to promote the Global Pokemon Federation, which hosts tournaments from gens 1 through 5. Some of you are already there--hope to see more!

The Global Pokemon Federation

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    DKM and Ortheore like this.
  3. Heroic Troller

Heroic Troller From Marcoasd's DNA Member

This is just ridicolous at this point, even if pp was the biggest, better, most competitive rby place in the world by a large margine (which it isn't at all currently). How does any of that relate to smogon? Smogon does smogon things and uses smogon's rulers for smogon's users only on smogon's simulator. Go to mc donald and tell them how they must cook burgers because your little place is better than them and knows best, see what you get. Smogon is the only simulator and holds all the playerbase, so what??? I wonder what your reaction would be if this thread was started on smogon to whine about pp not listening to smogon users for violet tiering. You gotta be kidding me

Diophantine likes this.
  4. Ortheore

Ortheore Host Emeritus

Lmao you say this as though you weren't part of a group conversation where PP tried to make its own decision, only for multiple users to explicitly vote to follow smogon. Not ban or patch. They specifically said "follow smogon". If that doesn't say enough about the reality of the situation idk what does.

The truth is that most people want RBY to just be RBY, not smogon RBY or PP RBY, which means that when the largest forum in the community makes a bad decision, EVERYONE is forced to swallow it, because that's what's necessary to ensure RBY is the same everywhere. And frankly, there's very good reason for wanting RBY to conform to a universal ruleset. Small differences in ruleset are only going to cause issues for players that take part in different sites, with minor differences being potentially overlooked and causing issues when it comes to actual gameplay. Furthermore, the more substantial the change, the more you get divergent metas, which means that gameplay has less transferability between forums, and even something as simple as talking about the game becomes more awkward, since you may now have to specify which RBY meta you're talking about, which sounds small, but is a step that's easily overlooked and could potentially invalidate significant amounts of discussion.

Honestly I think it's ridiculous at this point that you're sticking to the line of PP being totally free to do its own thing. It's clear that's only the case in theory, the reality is starkly different

Zard97 likes this.