1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

ADV OU (OverUsed) Jirachi [WIP]

Discussion in 'Individual Analyses' started by ThrashNinjax, Feb 4, 2016.

1. doom desire misses noSTAB

doom desire misses noSTAB Member

OK thanks, it's a pretty convoluted move since its intermingling defense and HP stats from potentially different pokemon. I get it now that you bring it up. Most other moves work with our understanding of knowing that X pokemon has base Y HP and base Z Defense. So it's going to be hard to compare its "% damage" potential with "normal" moves in which you know will hit or miss the turn they are used. (Is Future Sight any different I wonder?)

To lump Tyranitar in w/ Blissey and Snorlax is not right to showcase that point, then, originally, if that was the intent. Tyranitar has a rather high defense stat. Even Snorlax has a lot higher of an actual defense stat than Blissey.

Yeah it's cool if you use Doom Desire when an opposing "low defense stat" pokemon (e.g. Blissey) is out and then when it actually hits maybe there is something with a higher defense stat out (e.g. Swampert) but w/ substantially lower HP stat so it is actually doing really good % damage; and when it (e.g. Swampert) gets hit, its defense actually means nothing.

Well it goes both ways then...using Doom Desire on a Skarm/Meta/Forretress when they're active would be underwhelming -- especially if a high HP pokemon like Blissey or Snorlax end up being the active pokemon to take the hit. I would also argue that Snorlax, Tyranitar, Flygon, Swampert, Claydol, and pivoting in something like CB Mence/Meta on a set-up move are going to be better switch-ins to Jirachi than Blissey. Blissey is an OK check at best as it is easily demolished by a lot of Jirachi. Only in the vacuum of the Blissey being CM itself and/or the Jirachi not being CM Psychic w/ Sand up would it make sense as a more confident switch-in to Jirachi. But cool "trick" I suppose when you can do 350+ Hit Points worth of damage.

Which makes me wonder...how is anyone honestly planning 2-3 moves ahead for it to work out to be worth using, though? And it could miss! [Yeah you feel good that you might be strategizing a way to get damage on something that would usually avoid it, or kill something when it has to possibly take 2 attacks in one turn. Show me that replay. And you're only showing me 85% of the time. Haha. I could get behind it a little more with actual proven synergies but I am failing to see any surefire ways it will work since the battle is spanning many turns -- there are going to be a lot of variables.] It would be nice to get a confirmation message on the turn you use Doom Desire that says "it will hit" or "it will miss" but alas you'll just have to wait to find out - LOLOLOL.

You can't stack multiple of them in a row, so there is no cleaning with it. CB Jirachi is just for the thrill and those rare instances you can say that "Doom Desire worked awesome!". Body Slam para @ 60% w/ enhanced damage and a good sand-immune typing is about the only thing cool about it. I see people running HP Fighting on non-CB Jirachi and Porygon2 now, for what it's worth. That's telling me you don't have to run CB Jirachi unless you want to get real crazy. Liking the Leftovers too much on normal Jirachi sets and the ability to switch attacks - let alone the damage CB does with no STAB is going to be pathetic usually.

I think most of my other points made sense 3 years ago and I'll stick to them.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  2. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END. Member

Yeah, the mention of Ttar there doesn't make much sense (the guy's known for making mechanics mistakes in analyses; he might have thought it did SE damage). Just figured I'd point out the quirk.

EDIT: Also, the "Inquisition" thing is probably an obscure reference to Monty Python and the line "No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition!" implying people would not expect Choice Band Jirachi.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020