1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

Community I've been writing a memoir about competitive RBY in the GameFAQs era

Discussion in 'Chat' started by GGFan, Aug 29, 2015.

1. GGFan

GGFan Member

About two years ago I posted a thread on here that said I was writing a memoir. Well, I wrote a little bit of it in 2014, but ultimately abandoned the project. Over the last two weeks, though, I've resumed and have now written about 56 double-spaced pages. My first memoir will focus on the time I spent competing on GameFAQs from 2002-2005, in which I was a major part in both good and dubious ways. I feel this book will pique a lot of peoples' interests because it will be the first memoir of a competitive Pokemon player, and will give people a concrete image of what competitive RBY was like before Pokemon Perfect, SmogonJr, Smogon, and even Netbattle.

I expect the memoir to be between 75-100 pages when I'm finished.

2. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Furr and Power Member

Very nice. Would be interesting of any other player from this era did this too to give us some comparison/a secondary prerspective; people are often known to have stories disagreeing with those which you purport, rightly or wrongly. Nevertheless, I am highly curious and will read it in full.

3. GGFan

GGFan Member

Maybe my memoir will inspire others to write one.

4. Ortheore

Ortheore Host Emeritus

Yeah man this sounds like a really cool idea. As one of the few active veterans from those days you've definitely got a unique perspective on things and I'm quite interested to hear it and how competitive pokemon developed from that era

Disaster Area likes this.
  5. GGFan

GGFan Member

Well, I've written around 100 pages now. I was thinking it might be a good idea to have someone read it before I publish it so that I can receive some criticism. Is anybody interested?

6. Enigami

Enigami Moderator

100 pages is a lot to go through, but I'm interested.

Which reminds me, a while back I read through Actaeon's Guide to RBY and found a whole bunch of things that could be improved, if he's still working on it I should talk to him about it.

7. GGFan

GGFan Member

Two proofreaders would be ideal.

The memoir is now over 100 pages. I may offer a bit of money for those interested in proofreading it.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  8. GGFan

GGFan Member

I'd say the memoir is pretty much finished at this point. I'm just waiting for Golden Gyarados's feedback, who agreed to proofread it.

9. GGFan

GGFan Member

It's finally done. My memoir will be available on CreateSpace, Amazon, and Amazon Kindle. Unfortunately, these publishers wouldn't allow me to publish the memoir for free, so I had to charge a little bit of money: a print version will cost $7.00, while it will cost $0.99 on Kindle. My next step is to find more publishing venues.

I, of course, don't want to charge money, but publishing on Amazon will, at the very least, help get my name out more.

Edit: The memoir is now available on Amazon and CreateSpace.

Amazon: The First Villain: A Look Back at the GameFAQs Era, 2002-2005: GGFan: 9781530237678: Amazon.com: Books

CreateSpace: The First Villain: A Look Back at the GameFAQs Era, 2002-2005

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  10. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Furr and Power Member

Hmm Golden Gyarados you proofread it, do you think it's worth the money? I don't have a kindle so I have to go for a paperback lol..

Also what document format did you write it in? It shouldn't be too hard to share it via dropbox/mediafire/possibly even upload to PP forums if you do want to give it away for free.

11. GGFan

GGFan Member

I have to wait until Kindle approves the manuscript before I can play with the modules and see if I can make it available for free. I'll publish it all over the place.

It's good to experiment with actual publishing services, though, for the day I decide to publish something that I expect people to pay for.

I wrote it in Microsoft Office Word and saved it as a Word Document.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  12. GGFan

GGFan Member

13. GGFan

GGFan Member

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016