1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

SM Introducing: SM Doubles

Discussion in 'Tiers' started by Disaster Area, May 26, 2017.

1. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Furr and Power Member

drud was very interested in getting some doubles going on the forum. Naturally 1A and 1P are easy enough to figure out (nothing banned, and standard clauses as per doubles [same as singles, minus sleep clause]). The question is what should be our initial 1U tierlist. We probably ought to do something similar to what Smogon do, where their OU tierlist is transferred and then tweaked. Given that our banned Pokemon are Mega Rayquaza, the Primals, Geomancy, and Shadow Tag (including Gengarite), my basic knowledge of doubles tells me that Shadow Tag should instantly be unbanned if we were to do this as it's much less powerful in doubles than in singles. So ultimately the question is: should we start off with Mega Ray / Primals / Geomancy banned, or should we start off with nothing banned Pokemon-wise whatsoever. I kind of feel like Geomancy is probably the most broken of those elements in doubles.

2. The Idiot Ninja

The Idiot Ninja Member

based on vgc16 experience I'd say mega ray is less oppressive than we might think

I feel like we could start with absolutely nothing banned and go from there, that said I have no time to seriously invest on this project so I'm just going to drop my opinion and leave o/

3. drud

drud Member

I strongly agree with unbanning Shadow Tag as it's not that much of a problem, especially compared to the singles format. I think Geomancy should stay banned; it's easier to set up in Doubles meaning it could form even a bigger problem. Mega Rayquaza is a 100% ban in my eyes, I may have to think about the Primals for a bit longer, though.

4. Ortheore

Ortheore Host Emeritus

This is my position as well. I'm pretty bad at vgc but I have dabbled in it and MRay really isn't as broken as it is in singles. The doubles format is generally better at minimising the impact of a single pokemon and MRay doesn't really get any tools that get around that. Primals are actually much more prominent tbh.

So yeah, imo start with nothing banned and test to see what is necessary, but I'm also not likely to get involved with this

Disaster Area likes this.
  5. Zarles

Zarles Member

I don't know much about doubles, but I definitely would try this out! I agree with The Idiot Ninja and Ortheore that starting off with nothing left may the best, and of course you could suspect something if it would be too broken.

6. Dragun

Dragun Member

If I were to play doubles on this forum, which sounds good, I think starting of with a rough version of the Smogon OU would be better; I think no one knows how to play Doubles Ubers good enough to the point they should play it as a main Doubles tier. If that doesn't happen, I am fine with what others posted here about beginning with nothing banned. (oh and drud don't spam me on discord next time, thanks)

drud likes this.
  7. Disaster Area

We're definitely not starting with Smogon's Doubles tier, that would be very inconsistent with the other tiering on the site.

Indeed, it also seems that it's best not to have anything banned to start with.

drud likes this.
  8. Disaster Area

I've now added SM Doubles 1A and SM Doubles 1U to the server.

Doubles 1U has evasion and OHKO moves banned, as well as species clause.

Things that are possibly broken:
    - Dark Void?
    - Sleep moves + gravity?
    - Geomancy?
    - Primals?

But these are now on the server so go wild! :]

kjdaas, drud and Lutra like this.
  9. Conni

Conni turn your magic on Member

Dark Void isn't necessarily broken but it could be if sleep clause is off.
    So maybe we can apply Sleep Clause, or just ban Dark Void and Hypnosis, because multiple Pokemon asleep is very troubling.

Sleep moves + Gravity is surely broken because it gives your sleep moves practically 100% accuracy, again, having multiple Pokemon asleep is very troubling and your team will get wiped out very easily, so i think we should quickban sleep + gravity, or just Gravity in general.

For primals and Geomancy, i think we should wait for further testing and tours and maybe more opinions as we still have to find common playstyles and teams with SM Doubles 1U, once that is done we'll see if the primals and geomancy break a lot of teams or are just OP in general.

drud likes this.