1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

RBY Ubers / 1P (Pre-1U) Golem [Done]

Discussion in 'Individual Analyses' started by eden, Aug 5, 2015.

1. eden

eden end. Host Emeritus

Golem [​IMG]
    Type: Rock / Ground
    Stats: 80 | 110 | 130 | 55 | 45

Introduction

Mewtwo is a Pokemon very central to the Ubers metagame, and one of the few ways of handling Mewtwo is by using Explosion. Golem's niche is to be a Pokemon that can absorb Explosion, whilst also being able to Explode itself. Furthermore, its capacity to handle Snorlax grants it a greater niche over Gengar, as Golem is much less afraid of its Earthquake. It also walls Zapdos and the rare Jolteon.

Sets

Standard

Golem
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Explosion
    - Body Slam / Substitute

Set Details

Earthquake and Rock Slide are obligatory STAB attacks. Earthquake is the main attack to spam, as Exeggutor is rarer in Ubers, but Rock Slide does more damage to a few targets, such as Articuno. Explosion is the main draw of Golem and should be used to take out a key member of the opponent's team, such as Mewtwo, Mew, or Slowbro. Body Slam can paralyze various targets but is less crucial than in OU where Exeggutor is more present, and as such, Substitute is a viable alternative that can be helpful versus paralyzed targets, though bear in mind it does not block status moves.

Other Options

No other options are viable on Golem in Ubers.

Checks and Counters

In spite of being prime Explosion targets, Mewtwo and Mew can both outspeed Golem and hit it with powerful attacks such as Mewtwo's Ice Beam or Psychic and Mew's Earthquake (Golem has much less to fear from Mew's Earthquake, though, thanks to its solid Defense stat); however, Mewtwo is unable to OHKO Golem from full HP without an Ice Beam critical hit or a good roll with Blizzard. In addition, Mewtwo might rarely run Barrier or Mew might run Reflect (this is relatively more common than Barrier Mewtwo), preventing Golem from damaging them. Exeggutor is a great answer, as it resists Ground and can threaten in return with a powerful Psychic-type attack or a status ailment of some kind. Starmie, Lapras, and Articuno can all hit it with powerful super effective attacks; however, Lapras and Articuno are weak to Rock-type attacks. None of them are particularly common sights in Ubers, however, especially in the case of Lapras. Articuno is immune to Ground and has a powerful STAB move in Blizzard, but it is afraid of Rock Slide, so it cannot answer it consistently if Golem is brought into play often; however, it is still a very good answer.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  2. Ortheore

Ortheore Host Emeritus

I'd remove Jynx from the list of checks, since it's really too frail to function as a Golem check. Certainly I consider Cuno to be a more solid check than it.

The comment about Body Slam being less crucial than in ou because less Egg doesn't seem right to me, more because Body Slam is most important for Starmie. This is just semantics really, but I thought I'd mention it.

As it stands, the M2/Mew mentions in C&C don't seem right to me. I mean yes, it makes sense that that they're the best things for beating Golem, but at the same time they are the perfect explosion targets... but that depends on context (for instance you'd never boom on a fresh M2 because it lives and recovers off the damage).

M2 I think is a good check, OHKO's with a crit (or Blizzard and a good roll but pfft). However I'd maybe note somewhere that it is susceptible to explosion especially if paralysed (ik you already mention this but still)

Mew is a bit different because it's possible to revenge an unparalysed Mew without relying on speed ties. Also unless it runs IB (or crits) Mew can only manage a 3HKO on Golem. Also Reflect Mew is more significant than Barrier M2 imo. I'd mention Reflect Mew first, then regular Mew sets, noting ofc that it's very susceptible to boom

Disaster Area likes this.
  3. eden

eden end. Host Emeritus

Yeah Orth I woulda put Articuno ahead of Jynx but for the fact that both HATE switching into Golem for fear of Rock Slide. Does the checks and counters section not elaborate that both are scared of b00m? I can elaborate that a bit,and yeah I should have dived into when to boom with Golem on Mewtwo so as for it not to be a waster. I didn't mention Relect mew cause I thought the standard one was SD,will edit tho.

4. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Furr and Power Member

Articuno's Ground immunity and better physical bulk is a major advantage over Jynx. Mew has more than one 'standard' set even, Reflect Mew is quite common at the moment, but Barrier Mewtwo much less so.

Maybe add a section at the end about: When and how to use your Explosion
    or something like that.

5. Ortheore

Ortheore Host Emeritus

Yeah sorry if I seem like I'm harping on in a redundant fashion. Personally I'd mention being boom targets in the first sentence I mention the ubers. I know you already mentioned this, I just feel like it could be rearranged so this is emphasised more.

Regarding Mew, SD is definitely the standard but Reflect is still quite notable, I know some players such as Lutra run it extensively. So I'd mention the reflect set first, even though it's non-standard simply because it does a better job of handling Golem by not caring about boom.

Again sorry if I'm being pedantic.

6. eden

eden end. Host Emeritus

ok will do in a bit then man! Thanks :)

7. Smallguy

Smallguy Member

AMCheck

Delete (DC)=Delete Comma
    Add (AC)=Add Comma
    Comments

Introduction

Mewtwo is a Pokemon very central to the Ubers metagame, and one of the few ways of handling Mewtwo is by using Explosion. Golem's niche is to be a Pokemon that can absorb Explosion, while also being able to Explode whilst being able to Explode itself. Furthermore, its capacity to handle Snorlax grants it a greater niche over Gengar, as Golem is much less afraid of its Earthquake. It also walls Zapdos and the rare Jolteon.

Sets

Standard

Golem
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Explosion
    - Body Slam / Substitute

Set Details

Earthquake and Rock Slide are obligatory STAB attacks. Earthquake is the main attack to spam, as Exeggutor is rarer in Ubers, but Rock Slide does more damage to a few targets, such as Articuno. Explosion is the main draw of Golem, and should be used to take out a key member of the opponent's team, such as Mewtwo, Mew, or Slowbro. Body Slam can paralyze various targets, but is less crucial than in OU where Exeggutor is more prevalent present, and as such Substitute is a viable alternative that can be helpful versus paralyzed targets, though bear in mind it does not block status moves.

Other Options

No other options are viable on Golem in Ubers. That's cold.

Checks and Counters

In spite of being prime Explosion targets,Mewtwo and Mew can both outspeed it and hit it with powerful attacks - such as Mewtwo's Ice Beam or Psychic and Mew's Earthquake(AC) though (Golem has much less to fear from Mew's Earthquake though the latter owing to its solid Defense stat), however Mewtwo is unable to OHKO Golem from full HP without an Ice Beam critical hit, or a good roll with Blizzard(DC)(Add period) also Mewtwo may rarely run Barrier or Mew run Reflect(this is relatively more common than Barrier Mewtwo), preventing to prevent Golem from hurting them. Exeggutor is a great answer, as it resists Ground and can threaten in return with a powerful Psychic attack(DC) or a status of some kind. Starmie, Lapras, and Articuno can all hit it with powerful super-effective attacks, however though both Lapras and Articuno are weak to Rock-type attacks. None of them are particularly common sights in Ubers however - particularly in the case of Lapras. Articuno is immune to Ground and has a powerful STAB Blizzard, but is afraid of Rock Slide, so it cannot answer check it consistently over the course of a match if Golem is brought into play often - however, it is still a very good answer.

Written with help from Disaster Area.[/QUOTE]

8. Sobi

Sobi hi Member

Golem

Introduction

Mewtwo is a Pokemon very central to the Ubers metagame, and one of the few ways of handling Mewtwo is by using Explosion. Golem's niche is to be a Pokemon that can absorb Explosion, whilst also being able to Explode itself. Furthermore, its capacity to handle Snorlax grants it a greater niche over Gengar, as Golem is much less afraid of its Earthquake. It also walls Zapdos and the rare Jolteon.

Sets

Standard

Golem
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Explosion
    - Body Slam / Substitute

Set Details

Earthquake and Rock Slide are obligatory STAB attacks. Earthquake is the main attack to spam, as Exeggutor is rarer in Ubers, but Rock Slide does more damage to a few targets, such as Articuno. Explosion is the main draw of Golem and should be used to take out a key member of the opponent's team, such as Mewtwo, Mew, or Slowbro. Body Slam can paralyze various targets but is less crucial than in OU where Exeggutor is more present, and as such, Substitute is a viable alternative that can be helpful versus paralyzed targets, though bear in mind it does not block status moves.

Other Options

No other options are viable on Golem in Ubers.

Checks and Counters

In spite of being prime Explosion targets, Mewtwo and Mew can both outspeed Golem and hit it with powerful attacks such as Mewtwo's Ice Beam or Psychic and Mew's Earthquake (Golem has much less to fear from Mew's Earthquake, though, thanks to its solid Defense stat); however, Mewtwo is unable to OHKO Golem from full HP without an Ice Beam critical hit or a good roll with Blizzard. In addition, Mewtwo might rarely run Barrier or Mew might run Reflect (this is relatively more common than Barrier Mewtwo), preventing Golem from damaging them. Exeggutor is a great answer, as it resists Ground and can threaten in return with a powerful Psychic-type attack or a status ailment of some kind. Starmie, Lapras, and Articuno can all hit it with powerful super effective attacks; however, Lapras and Articuno are weak to Rock-type attacks. None of them are particularly common sights in Ubers, however, especially in the case of Lapras. Articuno is immune to Ground and has a powerful STAB move in Blizzard, but it is afraid of Rock Slide, so it cannot answer it consistently if Golem is brought into play often; however, it is still a very good answer.
    [​IMG] gp 1/1, mark this as done after you implement my check

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  9. Sobi

Sobi hi Member

SunnyR

please implement the gp check

10. eden

eden end. Host Emeritus

done ty dude

11. Sobi

Sobi hi Member