1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

Pokémon Do you see yourself playing past 30?

Discussion in 'Chat' started by GGFan, Nov 13, 2016.

1. GGFan

GGFan Member

13 and a half years ago, back when I was only 14, my opponent in the second round of a tournament on GameFAQs was somebody who lived up to his username, "pokedad." He was 39 years old. Perhaps this is still the biggest difference in age documented in a competitive Pokemon tournament.

There are a handful (I presume only a handful) of players at the age of 30 or over who still invest a significant amount of time and energy into competitive play. As advancements in competitive Pokemon continue to proliferate, I believe the number of older competitive Pokemon players will increase. However, at this point in time I think this number is quite low. This becomes apparent to me on the rare occasions I peruse forums such as Smogon and SmogonJr, in which most users come across as too immature to be older than 18.

But my main question is not how old some people really are, but how long you see yourself playing. At 28 I assume I'm the second oldest person here. I honestly don't see myself playing more than maybe 1-3 years because the game has become a chore to play at times, it can be stressful (I won't lie here), and I don't connect with the culture. However, given how long I've been playing, I'll probably end up being around for another decade. For me, what drives me to keep playing is a motivation to be remembered for my consistency. I don't win tournaments left and right anymore, but I've still placed high in several tournaments and can play at a top level.

How about you? How long do you see yourself playing? Can you imagine yourself as emotionally invested as you are now at 30, 35, 40, or even 50? If so, what will be your prime motivator? Success, camaraderie, something else?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    marcoasd and Disaster Area like this.
  2. Paraplegic

Paraplegic Member

I'm currently only 16, but at this point in time I don't see myself quitting until I'm at least 30. This game is my go-to for relieving stress, and it actually helped me through a really dark place a year back when I was still clinically depressed. Also, some of the people in my life that I am closest with are people I've met through mons, and I honestly just couldn't see myself walking away from them or all this. I also really like how you put it with "emotionally invested", because that describes my relationship with this game. Besides school and a rather meager social life, this game is all I have and just giving it up would be like giving up a substantial piece of my own being. So however long I decide to continue playing, it will be because I honestly can't bear to give up everything I've gained from playing, and the day I quit may very well be the day I die.

Neon and marcoasd like this.
  3. Paraplegic

Paraplegic Member

After re-reading that post it sounds way too melodramatic which wasn't my intention. I was just giving an honest answer n_n

ps. Also theres the old joke that no one ever truely quits mons :]

Neon and marcoasd like this.
  4. Peasounay

Peasounay qui peut me stopper Host Emeritus

The thing is if you ask this to a 15 year old or a 25 year old, the question becomes completely different.

Someone playing to the same game for 13 and a half years is very rare, most people would get bored, or would at some point think "i'm gonna take a small break" and never come back again. I think it's more about "how long do you think you'll be playing" rather than "how older will you get before quitting". If at 30 i'm still enjoying the game I'll still be playing and I think that would be the case for a lot of people. IRL stuff counts too at that age, mostly kids if one decides to have some. Speaking for myself I don't think I'll still still be playing (it's in 9 years) but it won't be because of the age: I've invested a lot of time into games before mons and at some points I thought "I love this game so much" but after a while I got bored of it, or spent time into another one and therefore quit the former. RBY is probably the game i've invested the most time in (you know that feel "this is the game i was destined to play" xd) but I don't see why it would be different from the other ones I've played... I'll get bored someday, there's also the question of "will the rby community still be active then ?" I have doubts, just because it's growing now doesn't mean It'll necessary continue to, key members of the community will stop one day.

Imo what's tough with quitting is the fear of losing skill, skipping big tournaments, and the thought of "I built so much edge... Am I really gonna quit after all the time I've invested ?" but at the end of the day you should just be having fun, we're on the internet and no physical training or condition is needed, therefore age doesn't matter. The rby community isn't toxic so it's almost never be a "quitting reason"

Neon, marcoasd and Disaster Area like this.
  5. Golden Gyarados

Golden Gyarados Host Emeritus

For me the answer is yes because that's technically where I am already, so ... :p But I keep playing because it's fun, because even though it can be stressful it can also be a stress reliever. Even ignoring tournaments, the ladder is an amazing way to kill time when you find yourself with a half hour or so between meetings at work and you don't have time to start any "real" project, so why not hit Find and pass the time that way (of course, that can completely tank your ladder score when you have to straight bail on a match because it took longer than you thought, or you leave Find on and get caught up with something else haha). Pokemon means a lot to me, and that's just as true now as it was when I first got my hands on Blue back in 1999 or whatever.

Real life can definitely make it hard to stay engaged at a very high level ... I often don't have the time to really take care in teambuilding, or to experiment or innovate, or to really explore the other metagames as much as I would like. And I often find myself doing stupid things like scheduling two World Championship matches back to back during an unexpectedly stressful work day and getting eliminated in the second round :( :( :( But on the other hand, the meta of the metagame - the community and the tournaments and the forums - is a nice little consistency in my life. I'm on the road a LOT (I travel across the country both for work and my hobbies, so I'm away from home during the week and during the weekends a lot of the time), but the internet doesn't care if you're in New York or London or whatever, so it's nice to be able to check in here wherever I am and know that stuff is still trucking along.

Disaster Area likes this.
  6. GGFan

GGFan Member

Yeah, real life is definitely a factor. As some of you know, I ran my own RBY community a decade ago. Partially because I wasn't inundated with the responsibilities that I have now, I had time to manage a forum, host tournaments, try and recruit players, write analyses, etc. In addition to that I was also active in the German circuit, which, although a bit difficult because of the timezone difference, was something I was able to do simply because I had the time.

I'm not as invested as I was in the past, but I have nonetheless remained a force in the competitive circuit, which is my prime motivator. I don't engage in discussions as much as the rest of you do (there are other reasons for that which I won't divulge here). When I talk to people about how important the game is them, they're usually pretty open and say that success means a lot. I think everyone here wants to be remembered positively for something, and will try to accomplish their goals for as long as they can.

However, there's one thing to keep in mind here: there's a big difference between playing a ladder game for fun and playing in tournaments year round. That's the kind of competitive investment I'm referring to. Can I see myself merely playing at 50? Definitely. Can I see myself playing in at least 10 tournaments and checking season statistics every day? No. At least not at this point in time.

7. Bedschibaer

Bedschibaer officially retired from bo1 rby Member

For me it's pretty similar to the sentiments already posted in this thread. Right now I have the fortune of having enough time for mons next to my studies, a part-time job and a social life that I can be happy with. To be honest from all of these things mons has the least priority for me though and I am very content with that, because that hasn't always been the case. I like the game for the community, the competitive aspect and obviously because there is nothing more satisfying than winning a game where the odds were against you, making a big play to turn a game around or just thinking about the ins and outs of this game.

The community is nice and at this point I like sitting around in a pokemon chatroom and talking about whatever, maybe playing a couple of games on the side alot more as a way of spending my freetime compared to like watching tv. But just like watching tv I'm gonna pick many other activities over it, pretty much every activity "irl". As long as I have the time I won't stop playing. Sure there have been phases where I wasn't really dedicated about tourneys or where i didn't get online for weeks or something but that just depends on my motivation and current interest really. To stop completely it'd take something more important and time-consuming irl that would just take over the place mons has in my life right now. I think there aren't too many 30+ players because most just don't have that much spare time and once I finish my studies and get a job I can easily see myself losing interest in investing lots of time into this game anymore.

I don't think I will ever stop playing pokemon in some form completely. Like I said, it's a great way to spend time and there are many "casual" forms of playing. Mons might just be the best game I have ever played, it's not cost-intensive and I am sure that I will find some place for it in my life, even if it's just a very small one.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  8. marcoasd

marcoasd P.I.P. PLAY IN PEACE Host Emeritus

I think the most important part there is:
    "the game has become a chore to play at times, it can be stressful (I won't lie here)".
    I don't condemn that, and to add more it felt that way for me too at times: nobody does that for a living, so it stacks up with other stuff at some point.
    At the end of the day, playing past "X age" or "with X free time left" depends on whether and how one wants to keep playing without a care about playing lower than 100%, and I think these days society itself (worldwide) doesn't tolerate that: you can't take your foot off the gas, that's capitalistic ideals for you.
    I think every informed insider knows what each player is (or was/could, I should say) capable of...

I'm taking this kind of break for Bedschibaer-ish reasons: I mean, I'm more hooked into other stuff at the moment. Actually, I think it's beneficial to be honest: I'm both breaking my in-game habits and enjoying more playing when I get to... you hardly unlearn, especially if you don't 100% stop for a long time.

Chrysalis, Neon and Disaster Area like this.
  9. Cowboy Dan

Cowboy Dan Host Emeritus

I definitely feel like I'm in a similar boat as Beds here. There are times where I just don't have time for this game, there are even times when I even get tired of it and need to take a step back becuase it does feel like work. Then again though, there will be times where I haven't really played for a couple months and I'm lying in bed thinking about whatever and a cool team idea pops into my head and I go and get really excited about the game for a while again. I'm probably never going to really get in to serious tournament pokemon, and even the casual tournaments aren't really my thing, but I see myself hopping on the ladder from time to time, joining discussions, playing casual games with friends and maybe joining the occasional small tourney for a long time coming. I find this game really fascinating and even if I don't see myself committing to it for much longer it will always be somewhere in the back of my mind.

eden and Disaster Area like this.
  10. Captain obliviius

Captain obliviius Who is in charge here? Member

I highly doubt it. I'm 26 and started playing about 10 months ago. I think October is my first month, also happens to be my birth month. I have always loved Pokémon but never player competitively. I remember pulling out stadium 1 out of the closet in college for some good old nostalgia. Once I realized that I never beat all the cups I had to finish the game. As a kid I always finished the game but for some reason not stadium 1. That's when I discovered smogon. I didn't have my rby cartridge to load my mons on so I had to win with those terrible rentals with the worst move sets. I realized why I never beat the game as a kid. Cuz it was so friggin hard with rentals. Smogon helped me put a somewhat coherent and balanced team together to at least beat the AI. After finishing stadium i started watching WiFi battles on youtube to see how much the game had changed. We were on DPP at the time. I couldnt believed how much know how it took to team build with items and EV spreads to worry about. But I had a good time watching Zelda master timmy. And the killer nacho, pimpnite, and others. I didn't know there were emulators to play on and didn't want to invest time of leveling up mons and breeding eggs waiting on ivs to come out perfect. And trying to make hidden power moves come out right. It was all so much to take in and I have an obsessive personality and I'm highly competitive so when I get into something I'm all in. Soon after black and white came out and changed the playing in a way that I hated. I think it was the ugly mons that came out that gen that made turned me off. Long story short.. I found out about emulators from a friend who plays gen 7 at work. So I went for it. Rby was all I knew somewhat how to play already so I read up on the OU tier on smogon and threw a team together. Its been so much fun battling and meeting new people. I never meant to get really serious about it but once i saw my name pop up on the ladder top 500 I was pumped. I kept making small goals like getting my gxe passed 70 "lol" and getting over 1500. I never ever thought I'd top the ladder. I finally did though about a week ago under my alt frankenwulf. I really want to continue my learning into doing tournaments. I know that's where you really earn respect in this community and ladder topping is kind of been there done that. But I'm a grown man with responsibilities now. I am married and have two kids (twin boy and girl). They are my pride and joy. I have never been serious about a video game before. Only sports. My gaming was limited to Zelda play throughs and Mario galaxy non competitive story mode stuff. When I picked this game up my wife quickly became irritated with the change. Cuz pokemon is for kids right? Why am I regressing into childhood? Cuz its fun and challenging and I like it alright.. she doesnt understand the strategic chesslike aspect, to her its just pokemon. I did have to limit my playing because you do that kinda stuff for people you love. She is my love and best friend and mother of my children and deserves my time and attention more than a game. Me saying hold on let me finish this match has really set her off a few times. Sometimes because ive truthfully been playing too much that day but other times cuz shes a woman and its that time of the month. I work 45-55 hours a week then come home to dad/ husband duties. This game has been a necessary and accessible hobby since I can't play sports so seriously anymore. I would much rather be brushing up on my jui jitsu and stand up game. But that takes very much time and a hefty monthly fee that I just can't justify since my kids need cloths and food and a daddy that isn't always at a gym bettering himself and not reading books and playing with them. My #1 goal is to raise really kick ass good hearted kids into adulthood. Pokemon battling is free and acessable. I can play on my phone on the shitter if i have to, a game here and there. During their naptime or while I'm waiting on water to boil for dinner. Nonetheless there are times when I think I should sign off and be done forever and just be a hard working husband and dad who has put sports and games behind him. I reckon if i keep playing that 30 is as good a tine as any to retire for good.

11. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Furr and Power Member

Ladder topping is a good start, Peasounay topped ladder a little before getting into tournaments, look where he is now! :)

I think you always need some level of entertainment in your life, and I think you should get involved with tournaments. On their own they don't take up that much time anyway: a few games, once per week, until you're out of that tour. Plus the community values them more so you earn yourself more respect in the community and play more challenging games without it being as draining on your time.

12. TuffHunter

TuffHunter Member

Currently 30. I played this game when I was in middleschool (age11-12) and came back just for nostalgia. I'll always enjoy Gen 1 so I will continue to play.

Like any game I enjoy, life after 30 has its distractions so my play time is limited. I spend most of it playing with my 2 year old or working which honestly the former gives me more joy than any video game ever has.

13. Enigami

Enigami Moderator

I agree with Disaster Area, getting involved in the tournaments isn't a bad idea since you can schedule around free time you have, and provided you don't join multiple at once you only need to play at most 5 battles a week (and don't necessarily have to be all at once). Usually everyone here is also pretty good about waiting if someone has to take care of something, tournament games are different from ladder games since there's less of a rush. Ladder games you're generally looking to complete as many games as possible to increase your score, so you're going to be a lot less patient. Tournament games you're just needing to complete the set with your opponent, so you can afford to be patient.

I think also finishing my pre-damage and pre-status code and finding a way to push it onto Showdown will also help, since I could use that to allow players to save the current battle, allowing players to suspend their game and come back to it later if they wanted. I'd imagine your wife would appreciate you being able to stop playing at any point if you have to.

14. The Idiot Ninja

The Idiot Ninja Member

I'll be 30 in the year 2029, so I don't know if mons will be still around. Will I be playing pokémon specifically? I don't know, not too likely. Will I be playing videogames in general? Absolutely yes. I guess for me it's just so far in the future that it really depends on the future of mons more than the future of... well, me.

15. Captain obliviius

Captain obliviius Who is in charge here? Member

Disaster area. Enigami. Thanks for the encouragement. Tourn play does sound much better the way you describe it. Ladder matches are full of a bunch of paranas hungry for points. I had to even turn the timer on marcoasd recently because I started a match at work on my 15 minute break lol.. I hated to do it. And yes being able to pause a game would make life so much easier.