1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

Event CALLOUS Invitational Tournament 4

Discussion in 'Other Tours' started by CALLOUS, May 8, 2020.

1. CALLOUS

CALLOUS YouTube.com/CALLOUSnarrates Leader

2. CALLOUS

CALLOUS- Congratulations on winning your play-ins bracket! You are the first player in Callous Invitational history to be invited to the main event but voluntarily choose to relegate yourself to play-ins instead. What can you tell us about that decision?

DEKZEH- Thanks! Those series have been a lot of fun and I'm glad to come out on top of a very hard group. I really believe any of the players I faced were good enough to be in the main event. In regards to 'relegating' myself to play-ins, I guess it just didn't feel fair to rob the space of someone more deserving of it when I have not put in good results in any tournament for a very long time. If you look past historic bias there's no reason to have me instantly invited to the main event instead of someone who's more actively involved in the community and the tier as of now. This really is my level right now.

CALLOUS-
    You’ve always been a creative builder and in the play-ins you once again opted for some surprising, unconventional Pokemon and sets. How would you describe your current mindset and approach in regards to team building?

DEKZEH- Right now winning games is not my primary goal. Of course I want to be competitive but I'm focusing much more on my own enjoyment of the game and being entertaining to the crowd. In regards to team building, it's not that complicated really- it's all about finding niches and exploiting gaps that the metagame is shaky against. That can mean a single mon that has great breaking prowess or sweeping potential or finding a niche strategy that the current trends struggle with. Creativity in team building doesn't exist without context or else you just end up with pretty bad teams. The ADV community is full of creative builders. There's always people I can talk to to throw ideas off each other and whatnot. Sometimes just reading through the discord channels can give me ideas and a better understanding of the metagame (which is the area I lack the most, if I'm being honest).

CALLOUS-
    Despite being one of the most successful tournament ADV players ever, in three previous attempts you’ve failed to make a deep run in a Callous Invitational tournament. Why do you think that is and how do you plan to change that this year?

DEKZEH- I don't know really. A combination of a lot of things I guess: my best years being already behind me even before the first edition, me not being much into individual tournaments back then, tough brackets, me being bad, who knows? About this year, I'm not bothered either way. If from here I go straight 0-2 and drop I'll be alright as I had a good time. Perhaps this lack of self-imposed pressure is a positive compared to previous years.

CALLOUS-
    There are three other Brazilians in addition to yourself in the field this year- the most we’ve ever had. Any thoughts on Elodin, KratosMana and Tamahome respectively and the results you’re expecting from them?

DEKZEH- Their constant success in the game speaks for itself. Tama is probably my favorite to win the whole thing, Elodin is coming off a very deep run last year and Kratos is just a damn solid player. In a tournament like this of course nothing is guaranteed as every game is tough, but I'd expect them all to do well and be a threat later in the competition.

CALLOUS- Other than your fellow Brazilians, which competitor would you least want to play against and why?

DEKZEH- There's not anyone really, I've always enjoyed facing the best players which is one of the reasons I love this tournament. If I have to give an answer I'd rather not play Zokuru cause who has the time for that?

CALLOUS-
    Anything else you’d like to say?

DEKZEH- Thank you for hosting this and for all the work you do for the ADV community, I'm always amazed at the effort you put at anything you do and that has to be appreciated. Every year this tournament gets better than the one before so I believe I speak for everyone when I say I can't wait to see the main event unfold.

mikmer and Gacu like this.
  3. Da Raikage

Da Raikage Member

4. CALLOUS

CALLOUS- Congratulations on winning your play-in bracket! There were a number of people out there who felt you should have been invited to the main event from the start and not made to go through play-ins. Do you agree with them and what kind of results are you expecting in the main event?

TECLIS- Thanks! That’s a fairly interesting first question. I think you can argue that I have happened to beat fairly consistently other main event players across Solo ADV tournaments, and thus that I probably could stand on the same stage and not do too bad. However, it ends up being a matter of what you would expect to see in the tournament, and as everyone knows I am lacking teambuilding wise. If you want the CIs to be great events in which the ADV metagame is shaped, I’m definitely not the guy you want in; and although I’m an ok~ish pilot using good teams with what I hope is a pretty good metagame knowledge, my in-game is definitely shaky compared to other main event players who, while they don’t necessarily bring their own teams either, are much more solid in that regard and have proven so across years and tournaments. All that to say that while I obviously wished I could be a part of the main event from the start - as every player interested in ADV probably would - I did not really feel entitled to.

I also want to leave a word about play-ins: as far as I’m concerned, they are really hard to get through. No matter if you are a slightly above average ADVer, you will have to beat three decent opponents who know what they are doing in a row, and I doubt that any ADV player other than the few apex ones could say that put in the play-ins he would have won for sure, let alone me. That’s a brutal selection to do for sure (although it’s also a testimony of the overall tournament’s quality), and I have a lot of respect for Dekzeh who went in voluntarilyand won in his group, which shows great spirit and skills.

As for the kind of results I am expecting in the main event, well...to be fair I’m very glad to be part of it through the play-ins in the first place, so I won’t pressure myself too much here. Every other player is a big threat, and I will just try to go as far as I can without worrying too much about the finish line.

CALLOUS- One of the criticisms people make about your game is a lack of team diversity (lots of TSS) and the tendency to run a lot of BKC teams as opposed to building your own. Do you think this criticism is valid? Why do you choose to generally not build your own stuff?

TECLIS- I guess it is. To be honest I’ve stop caring that much about tournament results and my Pokémon skill a couple years ago to focus on community contributions (and ironically I seem to do better in the few tournaments I play this way, maybe partly due to the accumulated experience and the fact that I’m older/have matured compared to when I got into competitive Pokémon at 13 or so). At that point I’m mainly trying to enjoy the game and if I can win some stuff, then great. That being said, the fact is that building is not something I like at all. I’m mainly interested in players interactions, be it in matches or during their preparation. While building is definitely a big part of the second, picking the good teams to use against the good opponents is an equally important concept, and that’s what I’m focusing myself on when thinking about my team choices. It can mean bringing something which matches well against your opponent’s trends, but also something which deviates from your norm to avoid being counterstyled yourself, something you are comfortable with or just something fresh you want to try out when you are bored. And none of that forces me to use my own teams when I don’t feel like it. While I technically can build when I force myself to do so - the most recent example being in SPL in which I may have pinged my fellow Classiest ADVers a bit too often
    asking for teams checks and opinions -, it’s not really something I like and I need to win games, so I’m not going much further than that. I know building your own stuff is the mark of great players, that you will never be considered as such or reach your full potential without doing so, but as I said above I don’t really have any ambition in that regard so eh.

I’m also a big believer that ADV is very balanced and that playing is what matters more than match-up fishing or going for specific counterteams, which is why I tend to just use solid stuff (hence the BKC teams pattern, which are very good in general) and try to play the match-up out as well as I can - if there is something I learned from my tournaments games during the past year, it’s that “unwinnable” (at equal skill level) match-ups are so rare they might as well be non-existent as long as you play well enough. And as you may have noticed I’m still far from playing perfectly (and it really hurts post game to see how poorly I can play/have played), so until I reach a bottleneck on that end and feel the need to improve even further, I probably will never build regularly.

CALLOUS- Your results in high level tournament play, the biggest example being this most recent SPL, have been inconsistent and this is your first Callous Invitational. For you, are nerves or pressure a factor? Do you have any kind of strategy to be less affected by mental things?

TECLIS- Well, I would say that the last SPL is not only the biggest example of high level tournament I played, but the only one (with no offense to the other competitions I have been part of, but those who played SPL can agree that it’s on another level compared to everything else). I could also argue than over the five games sample I have, I was pretty consistent: my ingame display only slightly varied between bad and below average (although my final 1-4 record is
    worse that it could have been due to some really poor luck in two games which I probably would have won otherwise). To be honest it feels really bittersweet to get into SPL (and have the greatest experience of your competitive Pokémon carrier within your team; it really was a blast) only to play even below your usual level and have the worst showing you could have had.

Mental and pressure were definitely the two aspects I was really lacking in. I’ve always pressured myself a lot in team tournaments because every loss you take drags your teammates down, and I went from only wishing to get picked as a sub before the auctions to starting in ADV after Danilo’s ban. While it was a great chance and I am grateful beyond words to FMG and d0nut for trusting me, a SPL rookie with no notable tournaments results across the past year with that in the first place in what may be Smogon’s most elitist tournament, I was in hindsight no mature enough as a player to do so, and I made a lot of mistakes in game due to stressing over details, inventing threats where there were none and throwing objectivity by the window in favor of an instinct clouded by the fear of letting my mates down.
    Said like this it looks a bit overdramatic and it’s to put at the Pokémon scale, I was not losing sleep because of it, beating myself over it or what, but I probably was my greatest ennemy’s across SPL and I have come to realize a lot of things through my defeats.

While I would not say I have any kind of well-thought, rational strategy to handle stress now,
    I have not really felt it for a while so maybe I’ll be able to remain in a more positive mindset
    in the future, having gone through my worst and moved past it.

CALLOUS- Which competitor would you least want to play against and why?

TECLIS- To be honest I tend to not care about whoever my opponent can be, in that we are all playing the same game with the same buttons and the same variance; anyone can be beaten. On my end, tooth grinding when seeing a pairing would come more from visualization. I know I can beat most opponents on the ADV playing field, because I have done so in the past or I consider my capabilities good enough to do so even if I don’t have their pure skill. However, there are two players in the main event I can’t see myself beating, namely Asta and Linear, which I consider real monsters (the third guy on my “no way I’m beating this” list, BKC, not being in the tournament). Of course logic says that I have odds to beat them for the reason given at the beginning, but no matter how many scenarios I go through in my head when thinking about fighting those, I can’t see a winning end with them being one or two steps above me in all regards. At least Vapicuno is not in the tournament; not only would I lose to him but he would probably beat me with a triple Hoenn starters team and I would never show my face ever again.

CALLOUS- Anything else you'd like to say?

TECLIS- Well, ADV is a great tier by itself, that’s for sure. However, I don’t think I would ever have invested myself (as a fairygen player) that much into it if not for its community, which I consider the greatest among all formats I have played. Everyone, including the top players, is nice and very approachable, and there are a lot of great contributors (mainly BKC, vapicuno and you) creating great resources for both newbies and veterans to learn and enjoy, and tournaments such as this one. So thanks everyone for that, and keep being the way you are!

Gacu likes this.
  5. CALLOUS

ROUND ONE-

Upper Bracket-

UD vs Fakes
    Gacu vs Tamahome
    Cowboy Dan vs M Dragon
    Soulwind vs Zokuru
    Blightbringer vs Hclat
    Thelinearcurve vs Teclis
    Star vs CyberOdin