1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

ADV OU (OverUsed) Blacklist

Discussion in 'Public Teams' started by ThrashNinjax, Dec 16, 2017.

1. ThrashNinjax

ThrashNinjax Lets take to the Skies Host Emeritus

^ Some Music to listen to while reading

upload_2017-12-15_23-13-46.png upload_2017-12-15_23-14-3.png upload_2017-12-15_23-14-41.png upload_2017-12-15_23-14-25.png upload_2017-12-15_23-15-4.png upload_2017-12-15_23-15-24.png

So, hey, a lot of my friends have done RMTs, and I decided why not?

But yeah, this team is one that’s pretty important to me, for a lot of reasons. The earliest draft of this team was made back during PPL 1, about a year and a half ago, and I built it to face Cowboy Dan, a close friend of mine, based on countering the spikes balanced stuff I expected him to bring. I lost the set (completing my 0-4 lol rip), but the first draft of the team won me g2 pretty handily - despite that, I consigned it to the back of my teambuilder for a while, and only recently did I recreate it when I was building for ADV WC.

Despite the fact I came up with the same 6 mons, with sets that only amplified my original issues with the team, I stuck with it, and brought it to most of my sets in the ADV WC, and it went 5-1 in that tour, only losing to linear in our stage 3 set iirc. I then passed it to my teammates @Eden’s Embrace and deluks917 during the recently concluded World Cup of Pokemon Perfect, when they asked for Heracross teams, and Sunny almost brought it to face UD in week 10, while Deluks used it a bunch while laddering and for ADV games in the triathlon tour. Both of them told me they liked it a ton and have brought that Hera team up whenever talking about ‘Ninjax has improved a ton’.

Funny thing is I’m not posting this RMT to ask for help / advice / whatever because I know that this team has weaknesses, and I’m 90% sure I’ve already heard and tried whatever anyone will suggest to me (although don’t feel discouraged to make such suggestions, it’s cool and I still appreciate the effort). But yeah, the point is that despite its issues, I still love the team a lot and I think it’s a good example of how in this ADV metagame, offensive pressure and good synergy can make up for the fact you don’t have everything covered, especially if you play aggressively enough to work around your opponents’ teams (and this team has ways of punishing people for the slightest mistake). That was, imo, the secret (if there even was one in the first place) behind my winning run in the ADV WC, and one I’d like to impart to all my readers.

The nicknames from this team come from DANGERKIDS’ second album, Blacklist. Aside from the fact that I love the album, I thought it’d be fitting because the team is a) deceptively deadly, like most people would dismiss Dangerkids as either a stereotypical core band or a bunch of Linkin Park imitators, but yeah, there’s a surprising amount of depth and songwriting strength behind the album. Likewise, this team has a lot of offensive synergy and options to threaten with that make it a terror to face on the battlefield. b) the band’s vocalist / songwriter Andy Bane summed it up as ‘a giant fuck-you to the people who told us we’d never make it’, and yeah, that’s a sentiment I can agree with. This team is proof that I have some skills at Advanced 1U-Legacy, and that my approach to the tier has some merit. So yeah – to all the haters who call me a skill-less clown, I won fucking a World Championship, beat BKC and thelinearcurve to do it, the fuck have you done?

Yeah, you can tell there’s some pent-up aggression here…Anyways, on to the team itself:

So my original idea was pairing CBTar and Suicune, which imo makes for a very solid core. CBTar exerts a huge amount of pressure on the Specially Defensive mons (Blissey, Snorlax, and Regice, it forces out Celebi and Zapdos) that check Suicune, while Suicune, being a bulky water, could hold off stuff like Metagross and Flygon, and the two in tandem could put huge amounts of damage on Skarmory and Swampert, making it impossible for standard TSS teams to wall you throughout the course of the game unless you misplay.

I added Aerodactyl and Zapdos shortly afterwards, both to take advantage of the havoc I thought CBTar and SubCune would create. Aerodactyl, naturally, would clean lategame through Rock Resists that would be badly battered by CBTar, while Zapdos could throw Thunderbolts and chip things while holding off opposing Water types and MixMence. It was around this time that mael (I think it was mael? It was a while ago) posted Protect Zapdos in underrated sets and I liked it a lot, and I added it to the team to screw with Choice Banded mons that would otherwise annoy the team a lot.

This was around the time that danilo posted AstaRachi as well (actually a year earlier, but yeah), but I realized I needed a Rock Resist on this team and Jirachi looked like a good fit because Wish could support my recovery-less offensive mons, as well as being a full stop to opposing Aerodactyl, while, again, not being a momentum drain.

I fucked around with a lot of 6th mons for the team – Gengar lasted for a surprisingly long while, I tried Swampert for a bit because I wanted a second Rock Resist but didn’t like it, and eventually I sorta realized that if I played the 5 mon core above well enough, I could handle any threat for the most part. So that left me in an awkward place – what do I do with the 6th mon? Heracross, a mon which provides little defensive synergy but is an absolute demon offensively, sprang to mind, and I added it as the 6th mon. Heracross could either shatter defensive teams’ backbones, or take advantage of another mon shattering said backbones, and it slotted in like a charm, earning its slot and wreaking havoc on unsuspecting opponents.

Kill Everything (Heracross) @ Lum Berry
    Ability: Swarm
    EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Focus Punch
    - Megahorn
    - Rock Slide
    - Swords Dance

Go big or go home, right? That was my mentality when I decided to lock Heracross in the lead slot here. It’s definitely not optimal (the best lead for the team is probably Zapdos), but Heracross being a lead tends to beat out people from the get-go so nicely by compromising the skarm-pert-bliss cores that would otherwise annoy this team a ton. It’s a demon vs anything defensive as a whole – Skarmory and Tyranitar are converted into set-up / momentum off the bat, and then your opp is forced to pivot around hoping for a mispredict or random act of RNG so he can bring Dug in on a kill. Against Tyranitar you usually just SD, Skarm I’d Focus Punch to make sure that it doesn’t try to phase or whatever because Focus Punch is a 2hko anyways, feel free to randomly Rock Slide though bc flinch and catching random Gar is fun. Against other leads, I’d usually back out into something else (You can stay in on Zapdos and SD if you think its slower, and it usually tends to be)

Lefties works, as does running more speed or just dropping to 250 speed with Adamant. Guts and Chesto Berry also works, I just like Swarm because it’s very easy to get knocked into Swarm range and then start cleaning up teams with nuclear Megahorns. Hidden Power Ghost also utterly annihilates Gengar although lets be honest if its defensive Gar it can’t get through you and if its offensive +2 Rock Slide smacks it, so what’s the use? Guess being randomly taunted is annoying but you can deal with it. But yeah, Lead Heracross has a ton of flexibility in terms of options and you can tweak it to deal with certain matchups as you please, and it will be effective so long as you play it the right way,

Inside Out (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EVs: 248 HP / 184 Def / 24 SpA / 32 SpD / 20 Spe
    Bold Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Wish
    - Toxic
    - Protect
    - Fire Punch

PhysDef Jirachi is absurd. Like I mean absurd, absurd – you force out Skarmory, take two EQs from Swampert assuming you protected in between them, (not even accounting for Wish), get Toxic off on a lot of things, and because of WishTect you can do this for losing 10% of your health, maybe 15 on a bad day. Wish itself gives you a ton of flexibility when playing – you can heal up Zap, Cune, Hera, or anything, really, and give it a second lease on life to run through your opponent at the drop of a hat – a lot of people assume that once they put Hera in Gar range it stops being an issue then you Wish and their eyes pop out, this has worked for me more than once. Meanwhile Jirachi’s a singlehanded full-stop to a lot of offensive mons, it checks Gengar, invalidates Swampert and keeps forcing Blissey out with Toxic chip, while also ensuring Aerodactyl doesn’t run you through which is nice for this otherwise frail team.

But yeah, I simply cannot explain how insane this set is with words alone…like I know one time I actually sacked Jirachi to a Flygon to get Wish off so Suicune would be able to live and clean up the rest of the team, and yeah, you would not have been able to pull that off with literally any other Jirachi variant, and yeah, Jirachi’s general unkillability is part of what makes this team such a threat to face because unless you misplay you can’t truly be out of the game. This team literally would not be able to function without Jirachi – it’s a seriously good mon and I highly recommend that more people use it (as well as prep for it while teambuilding, because jeez, does this set shred).

Could Be Different (Suicune) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP / 96 SpA / 160 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Substitute
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Calm Mind

I just like SubCune a lot, like, ngl. The proliferation of Spikes + Sand has led to a rise in more offensive Cunes, and while most people like Roar variants, I gravitate to Sub because the ability to not get statused or Leech Seeded can be super crucial in winning games. You can also sub on desperation Booms from Snorlax and Metagross, and give yourself a little cushion against Aerodactyl’s Rock Slide flinches which is nice. The EVs and moves are pretty standard here, 160 speed outruns defensive Celebi, Jirachi, and whatnot, so you can usually sub safely and boost up.

People say SubCune is 'matchup dependent', but idts, it really comes down to how you play it (although again, the fact that I've got busters galore and WishRachi tagging along make it a bit easier for SubCune to break games open). Basically, you try and find a spot where it can force something like Tar / Meta out and get a free CM in the process, then you sub when it's safe and either boost further (Celebi, Blissey), or just start blasting (Skarm, Pert). Vs Zap you just run unless it's chipped enough that you can Ice Beam it down (or it's asleep in which case you can definitely Ice Beam it down.) Also always remember that Cune doesn't have to win the game on its own, sometimes it will just trade with Bliss so that Zap wins or leave a large enough hole in Skarm and Pert that Tyranitar can muscle through and Aerodactyl can clean. You have to know how to pick your fights to get the most out of SubCune, but a well played one is almost impossible to stop so it's worth.

Ghost in the Walls (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 128 HP / 236 SpA / 144 Spe
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
    - Thunderbolt
    - Toxic
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Protect

Offensive Zap is a machine. It fulfills a lot of roles defensively as well, notably holding off opposing Suicune and MixMence, as well as Toxicing unwary Pert (and being the team’s best Pert switchin as a whole). But yeah, offensively this thing is still a menace – if your opponent doesn’t have a Blissey, you can rain Tbolts on him with impunity, and if he does, well, you have Heracross and Physical Tyranitar, don’t you?

144 Speed outruns anything creeping the 270 mark, which is nice. 128 HP does something vs offensive Cune that I can’t recall offhand, and the rest goes into Special Attack to hit as hard as possible. SDef Zap is totally an option here, and feel free to try it out if you want – it couldn’t hurt. SubBP Zap is also a solid alternative, because everything on the team appreciates Sub a ton – this works doubly well if it’s in the lead slot. But yeah, Zap as a whole is a great choice in the slot, and though there are some matchups where it struggles I’ve never considered changing it because it’s always able to do something.

Blacklist (Tyranitar) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 248 HP / 212 Atk / 48 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Focus Punch
    - Hidden Power [Bug]
    - Rock Slide
    - Earthquake

So yeah, congratulations to the random observer noticing that ‘this isn’t CBTar’. Told you I changed some things with the team, didn’t I? But yeah, imo this set is better because having the ability to switch moves is good for keeping the pressure on, while in terms of damage this Tar does enough with its spread of moves. The set is BKC’s, take 4 attacks, bring Tar in on something, and click whatever attack you think will work. This comes down to judgement and sometimes it’s better to try and outpredict your opponent, but yeah, even just tunnel visioning with Focus Punch usually allows you to shred something.

I got annoyed of getting outrun by random Swampert / Claydol so I said fuck it and went with this spread – it hits a little less hard but being able to beat out Claydol is really huge in practice. 76 Defense is also an option if you don’t think this team is that great playing defense, it allows you to live a few things like 2 hp bugs from aero (also you take 3 rock slides with a smile), mash from non-cb meta, etc. Sub HP Grass Tar is also a really nice alternative here since it allows you to crush Swampert at the drop of a hat, still, I like this set a lot more and it covers some other issues like Jirachi / Flygon a little better. Tyranitar is a demon of a Pokemon and if you know what you’re doing it will always put in work, no joke.

Invincible Summer (Aerodactyl) @ Choice Band
    Ability: Rock Head
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Hidden Power [Flying]
    - Double-Edge

Aero’s a very simple mon, which is probably the reason why it finds its way onto so many of my teams. Very point-and-click, yet it's also a menace when it lets loose, especially in the lategame after the other 5 mons have done their jobs, and it can be very hard to stop. It's also interesting to note that Aero being the fastest mon on the team is something that comes in clutch - often my superachi check / ddtar check winds up being saccing Zapdos / my own Tyranitar to chip it so that Aero can come in and clean up, and I will sometimes go Aero on something like Celebi / Skarmory that I think it can take momentum off of so there's that too. I like to get more out of it than the lategame cleaner role, and this team is built to take advantage of that aspect of it as well so there's that.

Moves / EVs are all standard because I don't think that there’s a good alternative (maybe HP Bug, but Celebi tends to be an unissue for this team so no thanks, I like being able to blow through chipped Gar / Pert too much.) Sometimes you have to remember that the standards are standard for a reason, and yeah, this is one of those places where you shouldn't mess with something that's not broken.

Heracross @ Lum Berry
    Ability: Swarm
    EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Focus Punch
    - Megahorn
    - Rock Slide
    - Swords Dance

Zapdos @ Leftovers
    EVs: 128 HP / 236 SpA / 144 Spe
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
    - Thunderbolt
    - Toxic
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Protect

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EVs: 248 HP / 184 Def / 24 SpA / 32 SpD / 20 Spe
    Bold Nature
    - Wish
    - Toxic
    - Protect
    - Fire Punch

Suicune @ Leftovers
    EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Roar
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Calm Mind

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 248 HP / 212 Atk / 48 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Focus Punch
    - Hidden Power [Bug]
    - Rock Slide
    - Earthquake

Aerodactyl @ Choice Band
    Ability: Rock Head
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Hidden Power [Flying]
    - Double-Edge

amberlamps - Probably PP's biggest up and comer. Interviewing you was really fun as well, you seem like a great guy and I hope to see you continue to shred in the future.
    Contact - You rage sometimes but yeah, you're a really nice guy underneath it all and you've got some cool ideas on the game (like tauros rain sucks but Nidoqueen was ok ngl)
    Cowboy Dan - lol Danny you're probably my oldest friend on the site by far; how long has it been, two years now? Anyways, yeah, it's been amazing to chill with you
    CZ. - You're definitely one of the funniest guys I know. Hope you find your way back to mons because it's always fun to see you play.
    Deadboots - Also shoutouts for the lit major, seriously, that's cool af. Wish you could get back to GPing analyses...anyways yeah, that's a thing for another time
    deluks917 - Very sharp, committed player who should legit wind up in SPL. Also the Ninjax / Deluks clickbait channel will one day become the number 1 channel on YT.
    Disaster Area - Piex Dad. Very funny, very wise, very patient, very very good with the mons, just overall an amazing dude. Thanks to you and PP for giving me my second wind.
    drud - Drud is the shitposter extraordinaire. And yeah, you're not even that bad at the mons, this kid will lowkey be the next RBY / HGSS phenomenon.
    Eden's Embrace - lol you're a gay. jk, you're the older brother I always wanted, and I always love talking to you because you're fun to talk to, nice but not too nice, funny, you make subpar puns but no-one's perfect I guess, and yeah, glad I made you proud with the WC win. <3
    Foggi - lol we got off on the wrong foot, but yeah, mutual friends helped ease the tension and I can concur that you are a chill guy who's very funny and also very sharp. Shame you no longer ADV but you still murk fools in GSC / HGSS so I can rate that. Remind me to hit you up if I ever make it out to Poland because I'm sure that'd be lit.
    hclat - lol hey studentclat. Echoing the wcopp shoutout, but yeah, it's amazing to see how you've progressed from the shy 1300 ladder kid at the start of the year to the confident season bronze winner. Being around sunny (and myself, don't wanna be false modest or whatever) definitely helped, and yeah, you've got places to go in this game.
    Kerts - Kertscher, the other team Flying protege of mine. Aside from that you sound like a cool dude irl. Serial ladderer, master of wielding Spikes teams, keep at it and you will have a great 2018, 100%.
    @Kunclord Andrew - The mature dad of the Eastcrew. Also every line you wrote that mentioned your bunny made me laugh, she sounds like a cutie and you better take good care of her.
    Osgoode - lol, like Foggi, we got off on the wrong foot, but yeah, it was fun talking with you because you are a surprisingly chill dude and yet a very serious competitor as you showed last SPL. Would love to pick your brains whenever I feel like getting back into HGSS (or even just on ADV stuff cause you're really good with that too), also thanks for your congrats post in the WC thread, that meant a lot, seriously. :thumbsup:
    PhilosopherKing - Always levelheaded, mature. He downplays his mons skill but it's definitely there, and yeah you should have more confidence in your abilities because those are insane.
    SamuelBest - like drud a shitposter with skills at the mons. It's easy to see why you two get along...but yeah, it's been nice knowing you and fun to see you pull off upsets in the game.
    sceptross - scep, you are a genuinely nice kid and we don't see enough nice kids in the mons world so it's nice to know that you're there. Very capable RBYer who can also GSC at a solid level. You're definitely on my radar for PPL, and yeah, even if I don't get you there it'll be fun knowing you and talking to you regardless.
    Stockings - Ah, Andrea (that's not a typo LOL). Anyways, you're a fun dude to talk with, very knowledgeable, if you play more stuff than PhysOff and Bellypass you'd be set for dominating ADV, but as is you're p good at the tier. Can't wait to see where you go.
    thelinearcurve - lol we never really talked until our first WC set, but yeah we really did hit it off which was nice. You're a very, very skilled player who knows his comfort zone, knows everything in the tier and how to abuse it to its fullest, and yeah, also an absolute 'lad' as Sunny would put it because you're always nice to talk to and always up for a fun game. GL in SPL, although you probably won't need it.
    tjdaas - Plays my two favorite tiers, and plays them well - I love your creative take on HGSS and how you wield your offenses, while it's also nice to see you ADV. Also a mature and levelheaded person who understands the art of finding midgrounds in conversations which is nice
    Triangles - We don't talk all that much but yeah, shoutouts for the talks we did have, you're a super creative player with the balls to actually use his techs (respect!), and yeah like Osgoode ty for the congrats. Can't wait to see you dazzle the world this SPL with all the fun things from the adv lab.
    Ugly Duckling - Hi, you're Kyla! Shitty memes aside, we really need to talk more (although hnnnnnng Skype), but yeah, whenever I do I'm always blown away by how nice you are and how sharp you are in terms of the mons. You've become a trve ADV titan and I can't wait to watch you dominate this SPL. Aside from that you're an amazing, super nice, super funny human being and it's always a joy talking to you, and one day I will make it out to Kansas to say hi.
    WhiteLion - Lol, WhiteLion. Anyways you're a great guy and an up-and-coming oldgenner and I can't wait to watch you take 2018 by storm. Bharat Mata Ki Jai
    @Team Flying - you guys are all lads. Diego the RBY goat, TSR the emoji King, Atli the funny guy whose skills were yet to be showcased (although I saw your wcopp win vs linear, good stuff)
    @US East - lads.

Anti-shoutout to that fucking clown known as CALLOUS, lol, more like CLOWNOUS, actually. He’s pretty much the epitome of the ‘hater’ I referred to earlier; the player who talks shit about my attitude and my skills despite having no achievements of his own he can brag about, aside from having been a ‘tutor’ on an irrelevant site over 5 years ago, lol, congrats, do you want a cookie? And yeah, he still brags about his ‘clout’, and his money, and how he gets away with talking trash to forum auth, and it’s just genuinely shocking that such a character exists.

Anyways, clownous, if you genuinely think you’re better than me at this game, then we should play a game or ten to prove it…oh no, wait, last time we fought, you got absurd matchups and a shitton of hax all three games, and I STILL smashed your worthless ass (to say nothing of the fact that I’m 30x the player I was back in January). I mean, it’s insane that despite the fact this retard has achieved nothing significant in the 10 years or more that he’s played this game he still thinks he could get a starting spot in SPL…Jesus Christ, what has the internet come to. But yeah, stay in your lane, you dumb fuck, stick to making shitty videos for the lowest common denominator of online mons, and leave the playing to the players. Don’t make me have to drop a disstrack on you.

Closing thoughts:

“This team certainly isn't perfect. However it's still dangerous, has proved its worth in tournaments against great players, and is a ton of fun to play with. Plus, it's very special to me as the first really good ADV team I made. There isn't anything I can't beat as long as I play well... which is how Pokemon should be.” – Blazin Kickin Chicken

Not claiming this is a Naer Solen, or anything (literally Naer Solen was fucking amazing and this is a superlite version of it at best), but yeah, the above quote sums up my feelings about this team. I do hope people give it a try, and experiment with styles in ADV that aren’t TSS or whatever, because there’s a lot of fun techs out there, and it hones your general playing abilities (or at the least it pushes you out of your comfort zone which is never a bad thing)

Shoutouts to my friends and everyone who’s made playing this game enjoyable for me. My time isn’t done yet, not by a long shot…imo this RMT marks the ‘end of my beginning,’ as Churchill would put it, but yeah, it’s a significant milestone for me and it’s a milestone I really wanted to share. Thank you all for reading and hope you enjoyed it.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Dizno, CZ., WhiteLion and 11 others like this.
  2. musicaltide

musicaltide everfall Member

Gave the team a few runs on the ladder, very fast-paced, high-risk/high-reward. Not my type of team, but major props for creating something original (read: no Skarm/Spikes abuse lol), and using it to good results.

Also, congrats on the World Championship win! I look forward to seeing what else you'll bring to the table in the future :)