1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

RBY 2U-L (Under1U) Announcement: Articuno and Moltres are now 2P - BL.

Discussion in 'Tiers' started by Disaster Area, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Furr and Power Member

The council have decided that Articuno and Moltres are too strong for UU, and have been banned to BL.

Council Members who expressed agreement at this notion:
    Disaster Area | Lutra | Marcoasd (3 majority)

Ortheore and Golden Gyarados have not expressed an opinion for the purpose of this thread at the time of writing.

Reasoning:

Articuno

Very powerful, counterplay is inconsistent and not interactive. Bird versus Bird is one of the best ways to weaken it. If it freezes its opponent (unless Dewgong is brought) it is a very large but uncontrolled advantage to the opponent. Offensive Pokémon with an offensive type advantage cannot switch in and barely win the matchup. Pokémon which can switch in have difficulty forcing it out. Status does not handle it consistently (Agility is an important consideration here). Due to its Ground immunity, good bulk, and various users of partial trapping in the tier, it is fairly easy to get it in play.

---

Moltres

Very powerful, counterplay is inconsistent and not interactive (comparable to Dragonite in OU, but is much more powerful in its tier). Fire Blast's Burn + Fire Spin allows it to break even Pokemon with a 4x Fire Resistance (such as Omastar). Offensive Pokémon with an offensive type advantage cannot switch in and barely win the matchu - in the case of Kangaskhan there's good odds for Moltres to win 1v1. No hard counter. Pokémon which can switch in have difficulty forcing it out. Status does not handle it consistently (Agility is an important consideration here). Due to its Ground immunity, good bulk, and various users of partial trapping in the tier, it is fairly easy to get it in play. Fire Spin makes it good at gaining momentum on the user's side too.

---

All current 2U - UU Analyses will become 2P - BL Analyses, as well as the Viability Rankings and all other related threads.

2. marcoasd

marcoasd P.I.P. PLAY IN PEACE Host Emeritus

Basically, the point is that we don't think Rhydon and Hypno should be banned.

3. Disaster Area

For now :p though I don't foresee them to be either.

We'll see how UU pans out now shall we?

There's until the end of the month before we have our first tour (and RBY OU Seasons starts back up again! :D)

4. Ortheore

Ortheore Host Emeritus

For what it's worth I firmly oppose Articuno's ban, while Moltres I'm kinda mixed about, but you've kinda convinced me that it's ban-worthy

5. marcoasd

Do you really want Articuno in UU? There would be close to no difference from BL (I'm still using old names).
    Neither Moltres or Articuno are banned from BL.
    The legit question is: is BL going to be played? It looks worth playing, maybe even more than UU. If that is your concern, I'm with you.

6. Disaster Area

Answer: Probably not, but if there appears to be the demand I have no problem with it having a minitour. It'll probably have minitours but nothing more than a minor annual thing at the very most. I know some players are keen on it.

7. marcoasd

Why not? OU is the standard for seasons, and Ubers/BL/UU/NU/LC are all worth of regular tournaments.

8. Disaster Area

it depends what happens, but expect BL to get lower levels of play than Uber on PP in the same way that UU will have less than OU, but ye I guess it can still be played. Difference is UU is a supposedly balanced meta, BL is a supposedly less balanced one, and therefore receives less of the tournament-based attention, in the same vein as OU and Ubers, and RU and BL2, and NU and BL3.

9. Ortheore

Ortheore Host Emeritus

I couldn't care less whether BL resembles UU. It's always been my understanding with this that BL is a banlist before all else, and therefore that being a distinct playable environment is just a fortunate by-product of the process, not something we should be aiming for.

But that's neither here nor there, since a decision's been made and I'm happy to leave it at that. There's no doubt that Cuno was immensely centralising so although I disagree with banning it, I don't intend to do anything about it

Disaster Area likes this.
  10. marcoasd

BL2 and BL3 won't make a lot of sense as playable tiers (and there could be no bans at all). BL makes sense as it's the tier where you get the chance to use legendary birds, just like Ubers is the tier where you get the chance to play Mewtwo and Mew.

11. Disaster Area

we don't know yet we've not gotten there yet. They'll likely be less grand (if they exist) but that won't make them any less equal.