1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

ADV OU (OverUsed) A War Story From Both Sides 2

Discussion in 'Analysis and Research' started by Disaster Area, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Furr and Power Member

A few years ago, Cowboy Dan and I did a "war story from both sides" - you can find it here. This year, I bought Cowboy Dan as a player in the PPL auction, and partway through the season we decided that it would be a good exercise to do to improve for the tournament, as a tool to focus on play rather than just teambuilding when it comes to preparation. The way these work, every turn we write a paragraph explaining our thought process behind our moves, and once the game was over then we shared our paragraphs - as such, I sometimes also call these "paragraph games". Unlike last time, this game ended up being extremely close throughout, and as such, it took a couple of hours before a Pokemon fainted and 4 and a half hours for the game to finish - and at the end, we had stopped writing paragraphs because of the time it was taking.

Since I started writing this up, I haven't heard from Dan, but once I have, I shall edit in his closing thoughts.

Before the retelling of this battle begins, here is my team.

At the end, Cowboy Dan and I have written some brief closing thoughts.

Battle started between Cowboy Dan and Disaster Area!
    Cowboy Dan sent out Skarmory!
    Go! Zapdos!
    Turn 1

My thoughts:
    Since Skarmory is extremely afraid of the possibility of Zapdos Thunderbolt, it's extremely likely he switches it out here. The risk / reward here is pretty bad, and that helps me keep spikes off at the start of the match. What I want to do here, is use Light Screen. I don't know what's coming in - Blissey is the most likely thing, but could be something like Tyranitar, Swampert, Snorlax, Celebi, even Regice... any sort of electric check, but against a number of those Light Screen helps me get some spikes up, and vs the rest I can bring in hariyama very safely and start firing off Knock Offs.

Dan's thoughts: Switch to bliss: no sense in risking a tbolt here as it's a completely valid move from his end to scout my response. If he baton passes to dug that is worst case scenario but i don't have any responses to that play. If he baton passes to another physical attacker then i can go to skarm or metagross.

Cowboy Dan withdrew Skarmory!
    Cowboy Dan sent out Blissey!
    Zapdos used Light Screen!
    Light Screen made your team stronger against special moves!
    Turn 2

My thoughts
    : As expected, Blissey switches in. This is fine for my team as blissey is a very safe switch-in for Hariyama. While I don't get spikes up here (where something like lax, pert, or cele might have enabled me to), I get to bring in Yama and Knock Off. Either I Knock Off skarmory, which helps me take it out of the picture and prevent it from spiking too aggressively, or I can find something new, get more information, and plan appropriately.

Dan's thoughts: He goes light screen meaning this is almost certainly some sort of rest zapdos. I will need to get up sand and force a rest to prevent him from stalling me so I will go wish here so I can get Tyranitar in relatively safely.

Zapdos, come back!
    Go! Hariyama!
    The opposing Blissey used Wish!
    Turn 3

My thoughts: Interesting! Wish to prevent me from generating any offensive momentum here, but since my goal is to knock off items with this thing, it doesn't really stop me doing my job. The choice is between Whirlwind and Knock Off. Knock Off is a universally great move, but Whirlwind lets me scout out more of the team. However, there's quite a luck-based element to that, as it could draw in something unpleasant like aerodactyl or metagross (which could easily be seen on this team), so getting the knock off seems safer. This team mitigates spikes by the fact that Zapdos and Skarmory aren't grounded, jirachi has wish, and pursuit tar and dugtrio aren't too heavily affected by spikes as they shouldn't be switching in repeatedly.

Dan's thoughts: he goes hariyama a tough pokemon for this team. I have a wish up so he will surely knock off. Skarmory is generally my most expendable mon however if he has a claydol, which is likely with this set up getting skarmed knock offed is bad and that is almost surely what he will go for here. That being said, skarm is my best knock off taker and with wishbliss i can still support it if he has claydol so i think it's still my best option.

Cowboy Dan withdrew Blissey!
    Hariyama used Knock Off!
    It's not very effective...
    (The opposing Skarmory lost 1% of its health!)
    Hariyama knocked off the opposing Skarmory's Leftovers!
    Blissey's wish came true!
    Turn 4

My thoughts: There's more options available to me on this turn... I can whirlwind to try and scout out more of the team (skarmbliss is an extremely generic combination to say the least... for good reason, it's great, but it gives me very little information to work with), or I can go to another pokemon to put on the pressure. My options would be Zapdos or Jirachi. Zapdos doesn't force in anything new, in fact blissey comes in again and that sets up a negative loop for me with spikes down. Jirachi also doesn't make much headway, as blissey could easily stop it in its tracks. So the best option for now is to Whirlwind. Drill Peck could be on his Skarmory, but even if he has it it's unlikely he'd use it here, as that first layer of spikes is extremely important to get up early on.

Dan's thoughts: I now have an opprtunity to set up spikes. He will almost certainly brick break or cross chop here but ineed to get spikes up to have a chance of beating this pokemon. After spikes I will need to phase hariyama out for now and get sand up so i can beat him in the late game. I may need 3 spikes to win this game. This is definitely a bad match up if he has claydol

The opposing Skarmory used Spikes!
    Spikes were scattered on the ground all around your team!
    Hariyama used Whirlwind!
    Tyranitar was dragged out!
    [The opposing Tyranitar's Sand Stream]
    A sandstorm kicked up!
    (The sandstorm is raging.)
    Hariyama is buffeted by the sandstorm!
    Hariyama restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
    Turn 5

My thoughts: Ttar, the most generic thing I could drag in, haha. It still doesn't give me more information to work with, but it gives me another whirlwind to work with. The risk reward is way too bad here to stay in, as Hariyama can OHKO ttar quite easily (or do upwards of 90% even to bulky variants anyway), and Hariyama can take Tyranitar's hits well enough. I expect Skarmory to come in here again, since he wants to get up more spikes layers, and it can take a Brick Break without any issue. It's also already been knocked off, and he doesnt want to see more pokemon knocked off.

Also of note, Light Screen wears off next turn, but that's not hugely important.

Dan's thoughts: He WWs me out to tyranitar. This is good as it gets sand up however tyranitar vs hariyama is a bad match up. He will almost certainly brick break here as skarmroy has already been knocked. Skarmory, metagross and gengar are my best switches to that however neither gengar or metagross want to be hit with a subsequent knock off or potential counter in metagross' case so going back to skarmory is my only option. I will have to phase him out and try and use wish for skarmory's health later.

Cowboy Dan withdrew Tyranitar!
    Hariyama used Whirlwind!
    Tyranitar was dragged out!
    Your team's Light Screen wore off!
    Turn 6

My thoughts: Same matchup, same logic applies, albeit this time he's seen that I'm willing to whirlwind here. Still, I think the risk/reward is too bad for him to risk staying in should I get cheeky.

Dan's thoughts: He WW's putting us back in the same position. Again i cannot risk Tyranitar getting BB'd here and because he has no spikes down WW isn't the worst thing although revealing another pokemon isn't great.

Hariyama used Whirlwind!
    Gengar was dragged out!
    The opposing Gengar is buffeted by the sandstorm!
    The opposing Gengar restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
    Turn 7

My thoughts: From an information perspective, this is quite important. It's extremely clear here, I'm facing some sort of classic TSS. It still doesn't tell me what on earth is in the other 2 slots - there needs to be a rock resist but beyond that there's not a huge amount of restrictions, all things considered.

I have a pursuit tyranitar, but I don't know if I should bring it in here. I feel like the likeliest play is switching in Skarmory once again, trying to catch me using Knock Off.

This is a super interesting turn...
    Hariyama is very bulky and Gengar hates taking unnecessary hits, as that prevents it from doing its job, especially Knock Off... it could easily die from sand later on, preventing it from sweeping. So he is almost certainly bringing Skarmory in again, the question is, do I continue to press Whirlwind, or at some point do I bring in a pokemon? Zapdos lets me set up light screen which could then enable me to get spikes up against blissey, which I think is a move I have to make at some point. Still, I am really interested to know the rest of his team and see what I'm up against first. It's clear Hariyama can sit and press whirlwind very comfortably against his team while Spikes aren't up.

Dan's thoughts: He WW's again, this time reveals Gengar. Gengar cannot afford to stay in here lest it get knocked off so skarmory is the obvious play however he can midground back to Zapdos. I cannot punish the hariyama if I stay in, going to Tyranitar here would be good for the Zapdos switch but would be extremely risky and would not getting much reward since he goes right back to hariyama. He can also WW again and potentially reveal another pokemon. If I WOW here that does force a rest although if he is Guts it makes his BB stronger. It does also hurt the Zap switch however. I think it is unlikely he knocks off here considering I have skarm already knocked so wisp is an interesting play, it is risky if he has a claydol though and he knocks me off but I can abuse boom in the late game so I think it is my best shot to cover both WW and Zap as well as a potential switch to another pokemon on his team. if he goes to a pursuit tar which is unlikely to be lum on this sort of team then that gives me one less worry for spamming double edge in the late game and i can still switch gar out and boom later so I think that is overall favorable to me.

Hariyama, come back!
    Go! Zapdos!
    The opposing Gengar used Will-O-Wisp!
    Zapdos was burned!
    Zapdos is buffeted by the sandstorm!
    Zapdos restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
    Zapdos was hurt by its burn!
    Turn 8

My thoughts: Thinking about that turn in more depth, I understand why WoW is the play. My hariyama needs to be put on a timer... It stops me phazing around indefinitely and forces me to enter a different position, letting him leverage the spikes and sand.

On a team like this, I imagine gengar will be quite bulky, but I don't know how afraid he is of staying in on Zapdos. He could easily consider going blissey, and it's a really safe move for him, but staying in with Gengar and attacking isn't too risky for him either, getting some useful chip on my zapdos.

I feel like he'll feel like he's slightly ahead at this point and want to play things safe, rather than try and push the advantage further, so I expect him to go blissey. I'm not bringing Hariyama back in, the downside is too big, but if he stays in with Gengar I will be frustrated. There isn't a good midground here for both gengar and blissey, so I am going to call it being blissey and use Light Screen so I can take the opportunity to get a layer of spikes up of my own. The next time hariyama draws in gengar, I want to bring tyranitar in to trap it, so I can keep pushing for chip damage with Hariyama.

Dan's thoughts: He goes for the Zap midground which is good for me. Now the zapdos is on a timer and once it rests im in a really good spot with Aerodactyl and Tyranitar. His options here are to light screen, double back to hari, or tbolt. Light screen is safest from him as it decently covers the bliss switch and is ok if i stay in w/ gar. Aerodactyl punishes both that and the potential double to hari but if he does tbolt that's a blowout and not a risk I can take. Since he is burned he is on a timer so I think going back to bliss is fine here however him doubling back to hari is tough for me but I also can't punish this without making an incredibly risky play in either wisping or going aero. I can also explode here but if he has a claydol in the back I cannot protect me spikes so this is also risky. I think the safe switch to bliss is my only option.

Cowboy Dan withdrew Gengar!
    The opposing Blissey is buffeted by the sandstorm!
    The opposing Blissey restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
    Turn 9

My thoughts: It's nice knowing your opponent :) The damage on zapdos sucks, but it is what it is. I can get up my Spikes now. The only thing to think about is, if he has Thunder Wave or Toxic, does he use them here, or does he just go Wish? Thunder Wave seems quite counterproductive for him against Hariyama, and doesn't progress things against Zapdos, but if he thinks Skarmory is coming in maybe he'll take the risk. I think it's more likely that if he has Toxic he will use it, because I think he values putting Hariyama on a timer. Thunder Wave is the only thing to really fear here from Skarmory... except for a Gengar double. But if that happens, at least I can get tyranitar in? Hmm. That's the most scary way the battle could go right now.

Dan's thoughts: He does go for light screen which is the middle of the pack play for me. He's still on a timer and has to rest eventually but bliss isn't doing much here. I think he either goes rest, toxic or switches to hari in this scenario as tbolt does not net him much. I can wish here which is relatively safe but risks him revealing another pokemon with WW so I think doubling to skarm is my best play as it covers all scenarios. If he tbolts it's obviously really bad but i think the chances of him doing that are slim to none and I need to make a play to get some more spikes up if I want to beat hari

Zapdos, come back!
    Go! Skarmory!
    Turn 10

My thoughts: Hmm.

I have a lot of ideas here.

I think at this point, he has no fear about a possible magneton, and he wanted to cover a hariyama switch-in, and this covers it perfectly, letting him push the game forward.

If he has Taunt, then, he's using it here. And not only that, I think Taunt is a reasonably likely move for him to carry. This is really tricky...

I feel like this game has suddenly gone downhill quite fast. Blissey is where I want to get my spikes up here, and I can't seem to keep it in for long enough to capitalise.

If he taunts, even switching out to Zapdos or Jirachi doesn't make a huge difference. Neither can really make progress here, although either could potentially force in Blissey.

I think if he doesn't have taunt, then the 2nd spikes layer is not hugely valuable, he could get it later, and maybe the best option is to put pressure on with Gengar... though with Light Screen up it's only threatening me with WoW.

Jirachi covers both plays reasonably well, as they should scare out whatever comes in, and bring in something that Skarmory can go for a layer on.

Dan's thoughts: He doubles to his own skarmory, finally giving me some more info about his team. I think he also almost certainly has a Tyranitar and another Rock resist so I can play around the possibility of Swampert, Claydol, Jirachi and Metagross here. the last greatly depends on what his Rock Resist is. As for this turn I should be able to get a taunt off on his Skarmory seeing as i am a very fast Taunt Skarm and he is likely a more defensive set. It is likely he tries to get his own spike layer here so I think this is my best play. Worst case scenario he switches back to Zapdos or to a Gengar but taunting prevents a rest/toxic from zap and a wisp/hypno from gar and I don't need to go for a 2nd layer here so I think this is an overwhelmingly safe play for me.

Skarmory, come back!
    Go! Jirachi!
    Jirachi was hurt by the spikes!
    The opposing Skarmory used Taunt!
    Jirachi fell for the taunt!
    Jirachi restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
    Turn 11

My thoughts: I'm glad I didn't risk it. I suspected that he would be carrying that. It's not a great position but I feel like blissey or tyranitar is obliged to come in here. I could Body Slam to try and put some pressure on... I think it's quite transparent though that I want to force in tyranitar or blissey again.

My choice is really, Body Slam, Thunderbolt, or Skarmory. I don't think staying in here is worth it at all for Skarmory, as Jirachi with electric moves is not exactly uncommon, and he can get the layers up easily enough later against hariyama... still. It's really hard to actually rule it out. I know I can only 3HKO him here, and I also think he wants to prevent me from getting any offense of my own going as hard as possible...

I feel like Body Slam is the least risky option and I don't want to fall farther behind. Once I can get Skarmory in, things can start looking up, and I need to start pressuring him a little bit...

Damn I wish I had all day to think about some of these turns! haha.

Dan's thoughts:
    He goes out to a Jirachi which is another tough pokemon for this team. He will likely go for either fire punch or an electric move here He cannot go CM if he has it or wish because of the taunt. With Hariyama I think it is quite likely he has wish here and his lasts are Tyranitar and some sort of fast pokemon. Potentially Aerodactyl or Dugtrio. The fact that he has a rachi makes it even more imperative that I get 3 layers of spikes this game so I cannot risk Skarm here. I think Tyranitar is my best shot on this turn as it covers both fire punch and thunder and since he cannot CM it's not too risky. Because he has light screen up I will need to double out immediately and make him fear the possibility of a physical tar.

Cowboy Dan sent out Tyranitar!
    Jirachi used Body Slam!
    (The opposing Tyranitar lost 10% of its health!)
    The opposing Tyranitar is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
    The opposing Tyranitar restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
    Turn 12

My thoughts: So, he does bring in TTar here. That tells me, well, his first response to Jirachi is Tyranitar, not Blissey. In tandem with Wish it tells me his Blissey is probably quite poor against some of the more dangerous Jirachi variants, like SubCM or WishCM, and here he needs to ensure he can put pressure on it. That tyranitar is very likely physical, as it's his response to the threat of Jirachi.

It's not Choice Band, and I'm physically bulky, so I can stay in if I want. I don't want Skarmory coming back in on my own Skarmory or Hariyama again, trying to exploit this tyranitar. If he stays in and clicks earthquake, he is giving my Skarmory the room it needs, but it also prevents my Jirachi from getting going... however, he knows that since I have Body Slam, I almost certainly lack Psychic, meaning Gengar can at least come in and burn me to put pressure on me in tandem with spikes. But I can't bring in pursuit tar here... I am in a rock and a hard place again, there is no way to hedge against both TTar EQ and Gengar switching in, but the closest thing to it is using Wish.

However, since it is a version of AstaRachi, I do expect he'll bring in Gengar and I think the risk is worth trying to catch it this early on with pursuit tar.

Dan's thoughts: He goes body slam confirming this as an astarachi. It is incredibly unlikely he is a sub body slam special attacker as he likely has wish. I cannot reveal yet that I am not physical tar so I need to switch out here. He will likely scout for a physical set by going skarmory here. Because he has light screen up this is a no risk play for him. I can either go back to Skarmory which likely puts me in the same scenario unless I go for another spike layer predicting a switch or go to Gengar here which will be quite threatening once light screen goes down next turn. I think I need to get that next layer of spikes up before Gengar is really threatening so I will go Skarmory here. Skarmory also covers a potential midground switch to Hariyama.

Jirachi, come back!
    Go! Tyranitar!
    Tyranitar was hurt by the spikes!
    Tyranitar restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
    Turn 13

My thoughts: He understood Jirachi couldn't do any damage there against his TTar, and he expected Hariyama to come in... so he prevented me from advancing with Skarmory. I would have thought Gengar a better play there, but it's still far from a bad one.

My tyranitar threatens here with Fire Blast, though since I am pursuit tar this thing is faster. Still, any damage I get will stick and that helps hariyama cause problems later. Also, a turn of leftovers recovery and I'm good as new and at least getting off a fire blast advances the game for me, getting some permanent and important damage.

Dan's thoughts:
    he goes to Tyranitar here which is a strange play in my opinion as if I had gone forr the earthquake this would be really bad for him. This puts me in a weird spot as he is likely a pursuit Tyranitar with Jirachi as his special wall. I can go back to Tyranitar however if he has brick break this is really bad and i don't punish his switches well. I cannot go metagross as he will likely fire blast here. I think I need to get a toxic off which will make my gengar much more dangerous.

The opposing Skarmory used Toxic!
    Tyranitar was badly poisoned!
    Tyranitar used Fire Blast!
    It's super effective!
    (The opposing Skarmory lost 77% of its health!)
    Tyranitar was hurt by poison!
    Turn 14

My thoughts: That was a huge chunk of permanent damage on Skarmory, a nice sight to see! Now skarmory can't stop Hariyama from functioning, all it needs to really be dangerous now is a spikes layer and a switch-in opportunity. If i can take out gengar in the process that's even better. Toxic on TTar isn't the end of the world, it protects me from Gengar's WoW, making using it against Hariyama riskier. Still, now I really don't want to bring in Tyranitar without the support of Wish except on a guarantee'd Gengar presence.

I also don't want TTar to be in for any longer than necessary. The question is, do I stay in and attack again as he goes for a second layer, or do I switch out and find a way to generate offense that way. I feel like dan probably doesn't value the second layer and even though he can tell I probably have pursuit here, the pursuit damage on Skarmory isn't exactly world-changing if he can't get the third layer anyway. I am afraid of Dugtrio trapping me. If he does have Dugtrio, then the play here is to go for the second layer, and if I stay in and attack, either he survives and gets a third layer, or he dies and takes out my Tyranitar with Dugtrio. That is a huge risk for me that I can't rule out yet.

If he doesn't have Dugtrio, I think that he'll be considering switching out, though I'm not sure what to. Blissey could be problematic for me, though he doesn't know I'm not carrying Focus Punch or Brick Break - but that shouldnt be too big an issue for a fully healthy blissey. He could also whirlwind, scouting out my team and trying to discover my last Pokemon, or at least accrue spikes damage. The good news is about half of my team can cause this skarmory problems. However, I can't stay in to punish whirlwind because of the dug possibility. Expecting whirlwind or a second spikes layer, I think Zapdos is my only option, as I get the momentum against Skarmory back if he stays in, and I at least don't accrue 2x spikes damage on a whirlwind.

Dan's thoughts: I land the toxic thank god, gengar is in a good position ot explode on somehting later and land a wisp on rachi. Skarm is in bad shape though I will need to get a wish off on him later. His options are to fire blast again, pursuit, brick break or double. My options are to stay in and spike, go to blissey or go to Tyranitar. Going to blissey or ttar are basically the same if he fire blasts, I have to double out on the hariyama switch. Staying in is good if he pursuits or doubles I get my 3 layers up if he fire blasts I get 2 layers up and more toxic damage on tar making Gengar more threatening so I think this is my best play.

Tyranitar, come back!
    Go! Zapdos!
    Turn 15

My thoughts:
    Zap's losing quite a bit of HP... I'm far from certain he has a dugtrio in the back, but him using Spikes makes me feel a lot more like he's using it. On that team, you would probably expect Swampert last to complete it... it's not a team I'm extremely keen on if that's what it is.

One thing I am thinking about here, I think that Zapdos can really sit against a lot of this team quite safely, especially with Light Screen up. The most threatening things so far are the physical, paralyzed TTar, and ice moves from gengar and blissey. Maybe there's an aero in the back or something which can start causing damage, but at worst I feel like I can force him to try and break zapdos in order to find a turn where I can bring in Skarmory.

If I tbolt here as bliss comes in, I could try LS + Rest as a sequence, but he can pass a wish to skarmory and stop hariyama from causing problems. I can't rest against that blissey yet because I need to take out Skarmory before I can rest zapdos up without punishment.

Dan's thoughts: he doubles out to Zapdos meaning I likely get my 3 layers in this game. His options here are to stay in and tbolt, rest or light screen, double to hariyama, predicting my bliss switch or go jirachi which is good if I stay in or switch. Bliss is the safest option for me however it doesn't catch much ground either and if he doubles to yama im in a bad spot. I think it's unlikely he tbolts here however if he does and I stay in I don't get 3 layers and again that's bad. I think my best bet is to actually go Metagross which covers the yama double and is good if he does anything but tbolt with zap. If he does go tbolt it's still not horrible as even if his last is aero I can still answer it.

Cowboy Dan sent out Metagross!
    Turn 16

My thoughts:
    Doesn't entirely rule out Dugtrio last. Rock Slide or Double Edge from choice band is scary, but it feels like a choice band explosion is coming... and if I bring skarmory in to it, then I'm not getting spikes today. In fact, I doubt he'd bring it in if he couldn't threaten skarm with it, even behind a light screen. I'm not certain it's a band metagross at all, and if it isn't I don't care about taking a hit with Skarmory, it's worth it.

If it is a band explosion, maybe I want Jirachi taking it... but then if it's an aero last (and i've seen those 6 before from dan), then that's really bad news too. And zapdos going down is also pretty bad. I feel like Dugtrio is my least useful pokemon, and I just don't want Skarmory catching a choice band explosion. If dug doesn't go down, I hurt metagross severely or take it out. If it does go down, I can bring in skarm safely and get my spike.

Dan's thoughts: He has a free switch back to Skarmory here or he can rest I can't punish skarmory offensively so I think my own skarm is a fine play here. He could predict this and tbolt but then his zap takes more burn damage. I think im free to go skarm here. I can also consider explosion to kill skarmory however if his last is aero I don't have much counterplay so this is overly risky.

Zapdos, come back!
    Go! Dugtrio!
    Dugtrio was hurt by the spikes!
    Cowboy Dan withdrew Metagross!
    Turn 17

My thoughts: 252 Atk Choice Band Arena Trap Dugtrio Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Leftovers Keen Eye Skarmory: 66 - 78 (19.8 - 23.4%)

Didn't account for the possibility of him switching back out there, I guess that was a really smart bluff on his end, or maybe the metagross coming in before was misreading what zapdos was doing to do.

It sounds though from the chat, he wasn't really willing to explode, but he did want to punish Skarmory. Makes a lot of sense.

I'm going to attack with Dugtrio here. Even if it attacks into something that it does almost no damage to, the ability to switch out afterwards knowing what's coming in should let me get spikes. And even if I don't KO, skarmory will be in struggle range after this! Lol. Point is, anyway, I need some control of the game so I can actually get a spike down and get some offense going.

Dan's thoughts: he goes dug revealing his last. Metagross is fairly unimportant defensively so I should be able to boom and freely threaten rachi with it. If he stays in he will likely rock slide which has a 6/16 chance to ko + flinch making it risky to stay in here as I really need that 3rd layer. He may be desparate enough to EQ here however so this is a tough turn. I most likely get my 3rd layer if he stays in to RS so this is my best option on paper but if I don't get that im in a bad spot. He can also double to rachi here or tar neither of which are bad plays and both are caught by metagross. The boom on metagross is quite valuable so I can't sack it to EQ here. I think I go for the spike this turn.

Dugtrio used Rock Slide!
    (The opposing Skarmory lost 22% of its health!)
    Turn 18

My thoughts: Well, didn't get the roll or flinch....

discussing it in the battle chat, we determined I had around a 55% chance to prevent that second layer with Rock Slide there.

I still want the switch control, so Rock Slide again it is. Dugtrio just isn't as valuable to me here as a spike, I think. I need spikes to make the team net damage. I also don't want to give him the initiative here with Whirlwind. Sure, he can punish Rock Slide with Metagross instead, but I just need skarmory out of the picture and my Skarmory in the picture. If he does bring in metagross, I get my spike layer.

Dan's thoughts: He goes for a rock slide and I get my 3rd layer. Skarm is somewhat expendable now although fodder will be extremely useful in this match up. My options here are to switch to a RS answer which is safest or WW predicting a switch from him as it's very easy for me to switch. If he doubles it's likely to his own Skarm, Jirachi, or Zapdos as Metagross is the likely switch from me. If he goes jirachi I have a favorable match up with gross so this seems unlikely. If he goes Skarm I can go right back to my own fairly freely and threaten taunt. If he goes Zap he finally gets the rest off. I don't think this is bas for me either way so metagross seems too safe to pass up.

Dugtrio used Rock Slide!
    (The opposing Metagross lost 8% of its health!)
    The opposing Metagross restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
    Turn 19

My thoughts: And we see leftovers! Not banded, like I first thought, though at this stage in the game it's not a surprise.

Dan's thoughts: He Rock Slides so thank god I didn't risk WW. He almost certainly goes Skarm here. I'm not ready to give up Metagross and I can threaten skarm with my own so I think mash is the play here.

Dugtrio, come back!
    Go! Skarmory!
    The opposing Metagross used Meteor Mash!
    (Skarmory lost 18% of its health!)
    Skarmory restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
    Turn 20

My thoughts: I finally get my spike. Really nothing else to it, come hell or high water, I have fought hard for this spike and I desperately need it. Turn 21 is where I am forced to think again.

Dan's thoughts: he can drill peck, double or spike here. Likely spikes. I don't lose much by going to my own Skarm. He likely is thinking about Gengar from my end here to catch my gar so that is way too risky for me. Going to skarm is safe and can punish him so that's a solid play. I can also go to my own tar here which takes drill peck, and most of his likely doubles, and threatens him with fire blast. It does concede a fairly free spike layer though that I cannot heavily punish so I think Skarmory is still my best shot.

Skarmory used Spikes!
    Spikes were scattered on the ground all around the opposing team!
    Turn 21

My thoughts: He had a free switch to anything there, and chose to go Skarmory. I expect then he'll taunt me as I try and spike, and then I guess bring something in on struggle? I don't understand the Skarmory switch, maybe he just wants to whirlwind here. And if that's the case, well I'll get my next layer up because there's nothing else I can do.

Dan thoughts: He can switch or spike here or drill peck too. I threaten taunt which shuts him down if he isn't DP and prevents another layer but can also WW to prevent a switch. I can also switch to something that threatens him but if he spikes this is bad. I think taunt is a fine play as most of his switch ins are hurt by it and if he goes tar then it takes spikes + poison. WW can also backfire if I drag in Zapdos

Skarmory fell for the taunt!
    Skarmory can't use Spikes after the taunt!
    Turn 22

My thoughts: Ok, struggle forced, unless I switch... I'm just going to struggle and take out skarmory, it does me no good risking a whirlwind here, I just need this thing taken out.

Dan's thoughts: He spikes as I taunt. He actually threatens to kill skarm w/ struggle here so my roar is not free. I can go tyranitar here to theaten him.

The opposing Tyranitar was hurt by the spikes!
    Skarmory used Struggle!
    (The opposing Tyranitar lost 8% of its health!)
    Skarmory was damaged by the recoil!
    Turn 23

My thoughts: What he has figured out actually is that I'm not drill peck. It means, he can try and get a wish with blissey at some point to heal up skarmory. It means whenever he brings in blissey, I'll need to respond aggressively.

I'm not actually certain this ttar is physical... and i'm sure at some point he must be bringing gengar in? Are all of these plays trying to catch my tyranitar? hmm.

I have one layer up, extra layers are nice but not necessary. There might be startegic advantage to using my other options here...

If he does go Gengar and I knock it, that's really good for me now and worthwhile as a trade against a WoW. I don't see the downside to bringing in hariyama actually, ttar can't do much to hurt it the worst he can do is bring in metagross or something like aerodactyl, which does just bring skarmory back in again and lets me start phazing around more. I'm just considering, am I going to be forced to phaze around with Skarmory and try and catch gengar, or can I get going with Hariyama first? It seems to me I might be taking quite unnecessary spikes damage here if I push the issue with it. I'd rather keep it healthy so I can punish blissey more aggressively later. The question is, whirlwind or spikes now, expecting gengar might switch in... the more spikes the more teeth the phazing has. I want to see his last, and skarmory doesn't scare me... hmm

I could see focus punch from him as an otion that hurts skarmory and hariyama.

I think what I want to do is force the ttar vs gengar matchup, even if that means sacking something. Since dugtrio made it out of that craziness alive that's my go-to option now. I think Skarm+Zapdos alone can win if I take out gengar... is everything else just noise?

Dan's thoughts: He struggles meaning no DP. I Can fire blast in case he stays in or double to metagross expecting yama. As he doesn't know im special tar I think fire blasting is the best course of action here. If I am a physical focus punch set that is fairly free here so he cannot risk bringing anything in to it. This also weakens the yama if he goes to it making it less of a threat and he has to come in on 3 spikes.

The opposing Tyranitar is paralyzed! It can't move!
    Skarmory used Whirlwind!
    Skarmory was dragged out!
    Turn 24

My thoughts: I'm not desperate for that second spikes layer, but also I don't want to bring in Zapdos any more as the burn and sand damage racking up means I need to rest very soon, and I can't do it if I switch in on Taunt. Hmm.

Dan's thoughts:
    Unfortunately I FP as he WW's putting me in the same position as T21. I think I taunt here for the same reason. He still doesn't know im special tar which is good although he knows I didn't focus punch which may make him sniff me out.

Skarmory fell for the taunt!
    Skarmory can't use Spikes after the taunt!
    Turn 25

My thoughts: He taunts again. Struggle threatens to KO skarm, but otherwise he can switch to almost anything.

I think the ttar switch before was to try and cover for Zapdos. I don't understand exactly why he's not going for Gengar here... maybe pursuit tar is just scaring him that much. if he starts phazing here, whatever comes in can end it, so I doubt he stays in, again, and there's no use in metagross coming in and giving me spikes, or that aero that might be hiding.

I think at this point either bliss comes in or gar comes in. There's no great midground there, I want tar in against gar, and I don't want tar to come in and take spikes otherwise. If he brings in bliss that forces me to go Hariyama next turn to prevent a knock. So if he goes bliss I'm fine, it's just having ttar as my only gengar answer is becoming increasingly painful.

Jirachi is a nicer option though, it threatens skarmory staying in and mashing taunt, and it gives me some room against gengar, and i can pass a wish with it if I need to, and I'm fine with blissey making an appearance anyhow.

Dan's thoughts: This is a tough turn. If I WW I lose my skarm if he struggles, if I go to tar and he goes to dug or yama im in bad spot. I think I still have to go to tar here as the chances he makes that double are still low.

Skarmory, come back!
    Go! Jirachi!
    Turn 26

My thoughts:
    This is definitely interesting. I can protect for leftovers recovery - his ttar's hp makes little difference to me as most of my pokemon either OHKO it or do almost nothing to it, what's important is the health of my own pokemon. If I protect, there's no way he punishes it i have a problem with, and I can get another protect off, healing back up almost to full. I do want to see him reveal a move like Earthquake, just so I can be more certain what I'm up against.

Dan's thoughts:
    He goes to jirachi so I guess I should have WWed I think Fire Blast here is still fairly safe as it's likely he's an astarachi and I'm paralyzed so can't be burned.

Jirachi used Protect!
    Jirachi protected itself!
    The opposing Tyranitar used Fire Blast!
    Turn 27

My thoughts:
    So it's a SPECIAL tar!! I was too hasty in assuming earlier. I can sit here and spam wish+protect to run him out of PP, I want to see him try and stop it. The best he can do, I think, is bring in gengar or skarmory on a protect, so I can't pass a wish to something. Even then, he has to content with Skarmory or Pursuit Tar... and if it's gengar, I think I play Tbolt there to possibly paralyze and at least get some damage.

252+ SpA Leftovers Sand Stream Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 76 SpD Leftovers Jirachi: 214 - 252 (53.1 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers

With accuracy and paralysis, this is a decent calc for me. My protects are quite forced but I need to see how he plans to punish them.

Dan's thoughts: He protects which finally reveals my tar set. I think he likely wishes or switches to yama here so Metagross is a fine double however I can't really threaten skarm with it so he gets layers down. Spamming mash against skarm isn't a bad play here though to weaken it for Aerodactyl.

The opposing Metagross was hurt by the spikes!
    Jirachi used Wish!
    Turn 28

My thoughts:
    Interesting! So he goes metagross to punish. I could go Skarmory and play it safely, or I could try and wish to heal up Zapdos. Protect is even an option as I don't need to heal Skarmory, but it makes bringing gengar in easier. I feel like this is way too risky for him to explode though - I can protect, I can go skarmory, but yes I could also bring in Zapdos. Zapdos is not actually very crucial for me now though, and it helps me handle metagross, so I think it might be wise to use it. That being said, I'm mostly after more spikes layers now to put pressure on him faster.

Dan's thoughts:
    He wishes meaning he gets a switch to something here or can fire punch me. I have a couple options. First is to start spamming mash predicting skarm switch, no sense eqing here as it will be cancelled by wish anyway if he stays in. Better play might be to go to gengar here to threaten wisp on rachi however if he fire punch burns me here that's obviously quite bad. if he makes the obvious skarm switch though this is quite good. I think this is ultimately my safest play.

Jirachi, come back!
    Go! Zapdos!
    Cowboy Dan sent out Gengar!
    Jirachi's wish came true!
    Turn 29

My thoughts:
    I successfully healed up Zapdos, and this worked out better than switching Skarmory in, as it gives me more options.

Since gengar is not sand immune, any damage on it sticks, and Tbolt 2HKOs unless it's extremely specially defensive (not unseen though). Tbolt also draws in blissey for me, which in turn lets in Hariyama and at that point I have a free Knock Off.

So tbolt seems fine, especially as Zapdos is not all that valuable to me right now.

Dan's thoughts:
    He goes zap and receives the wish which is less than ideal. I don't severely threaten him with gar here so he likely gets a light screen off. He can also tbolt to weaken gar which is probably the biggest threat to his team so i can't afford to stay in or boom. I think my best play is to get tar in as it threatens him if he light screens and wont die to tbolt meaning he takes more burn damage. I can then go to bliss on the following turn to get a wish off on something.

Zapdos used Thunderbolt!
    (The opposing Tyranitar lost 40% of its health!)
    Turn 30

My thoughts: 0 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar: 124 - 147 (36.4 - 43.1%)

Since it did 40%, TTar can't have a lot of bulk investment. However, Tbolt is not guarantee'd to KO next turn at 37% (though I'd like my odds).

I really want to force blissey in to get Hariyama going and I think this is my shot. Bliss almost definitely comes in here, and yama is safe against TTar. He could double to Metagross perhaps, which could be an issue, but I can go push for more spikes layers if that happens. Gengar will start to get dangerous again though.

Dan's thoughts: Time to enact the plan mentioned in the previous turn.

Zapdos, come back!
    Go! Hariyama!
    Hariyama was hurt by the spikes!
    The opposing Blissey was hurt by the spikes!
    Turn 31

My thoughts: Very nice. Knock Off, Brick Break, and Whirlwind are all very threatening here! My sense though is that this is the stage where Skarm comes in to fodder itself, then gengar/metagross/6th comes in as retaliation. It does occur to me, starmie or jolteon could be the last and they could cause me quite some problems. I think with Skarm out of the way, he can't phaze defensive zapdos, and then I can probably force the issue with it later down the line if that's what comes in. I'm feeling confident if his last is aero right now.

Dan's thoughts: He gets hari in which is probably something I should have considered. He has a fairly free knock off here as I'm forced to go metagross.

Hariyama used Knock Off!
    A critical hit!
    (The opposing Metagross lost 5% of its health!)
    Hariyama knocked off the opposing Metagross's Leftovers!
    Turn 32

My thoughts: Meta being knocked is rather nice, to be honest. Now any damage to it sticks too... and that will mostly be from spikes.

Skarmory, Zapdos, and Jirachi are my options. Jirachi is the most risky by far, I don't want it sitting against metagross risking earthquakes. Skarmory and Zapdos... I have to consider then, what's he got against those? He could bring in blissey or Gengar, and both are quite deadly, and honestly I think Zapdos is the better against those two. But it's worse against Metagross and I do want some more spikes going. Versus Gengar, though, I do have pursuit tar on the board. The problem is most definitely blissey.

Dan's thoughts: He is forced out here. He can either go skarm or Zapdos. I think Zapdos is better here as it covers my Gengar switch. I think my best bet is to go Tyranitar if he switches as this forces more burn damage on zapdos and threatens skarmory. He can stay in here though which would be really bad in that case I think this would be a very hasty play from him though.

Hariyama, come back!
    Go! Skarmory!
    Turn 33

My thoughts: 252+ SpA Leftovers Sand Stream Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 8 HP / 0 SpD Choice Band Arena Trap Dugtrio: 156 - 184 (73.2 - 86.4%)

Dugtrio dies on switch-in to it. TTar was an interesting, risky move. If I brought in Zapdos again I get another free Thunderbolt, and Blissey is forced to make decisions around 50%, at which point Yama is back in. Maybe from here he can try and make Metagross his Yama answer, but keeping bliss healthy will be a chore.

252+ SpA Leftovers Sand Stream Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Leftovers Keen Eye Skarmory: 209 - 246 (62.6 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers

Staying in isn't really an option too. He's really leveraging that pursuit tar to threaten me! In fact, I don't really have a great switch-in. I wonder if I can PP stall Fire Blast though, it's at 6 right now and I have protects in my arsenal. The alternative is just going for my spikes layers with skarmory, and using zapdos to fend off metagross.

Dan's thoughts: He has no counterplay to fire blast this turn so that is my play. Jirachi is weak to it skarm takes a ton, tyranitar is poisoned and any damage on it is huge, dug dies, and yama goes down to a quarter of its health. Just have to hope I don't miss.

Skarmory, come back!
    Go! Zapdos!
    (Zapdos lost 22% of its health!)
    Turn 34

My thoughts: In the end I go zapdos. I am still KOing him at that HP and I just burned 2 PP - down to 5! Soon, he's going to have problems with it. I could tbolt now just to put the pressure on again and force moves from blissey. The trouble is, he can use that to pass wishes and I really need Zapdos's HP. I think actually the move is Light Screen and then Rest, I can't really pass another wish to Zapdos too easily after another turn of burn damage, and I'm not so afraid of Rock Slide here. I just want to get a rest off and wake this thing up ASAP!

Dan's thoughts: He goes to Zapdos which takes the least but he takes burn damage here and is quite low. He can tbolt to finish me off here or rest to get health back or he can light screen. If he rests or light screens and I Ice beam I'm in a really good position. If he tbolts he is forced to take even more burn damage. Tar is somewhat expendable here. Keeping the fodder will be quite helpful though and it is still a threat to his skarmory so going to bliss is much safer. I will go to bliss as I think I can afford him resting here as it allows me to go to town with aero.

Turn 35

My thoughts: I hit rest, and then I can burn 1 turn safely whatever happens. If he wants to wish up Skarmory, that lets me heal up Zapdos just fine. If he wants to bring in Aerodactyl, I still have my skarmory to work with and get something going. If it's a special sweeper last, it can't do much work here either.

Dan's thoughts: He goes light screen so Zapdos lives another day. I can go to aero here on the forced rest or wish to get health back on ttar or skarm. I think wish has the most upside here and very little risk so that is the play I will make.

Zapdos used Rest!
    Zapdos slept and became healthy!
    Turn 36

My thoughts: I burn a sleep turn, he brings in TTar on the wish and it's a bit scarier again.

Dan's thoughts: I decide to get the health back on Tyranitar as this is still a threat to Zapdos and Skarmory and his hariyama, this sets main counter is quite low. He burns a turn of sleep.

Zapdos is fast asleep.
    Turn 37

My thoughts: We know the TTar isn't bulky, and with a light screen up he has nothing to prevent a dug trap except switching ttar out. Zapdos is bulky enough I can wake it up later, and taking TTar out early would be really nice. I also don't want to risk a rock slide right now. Blissey will be at 64% coming in to spikes next, so yama starts to become even more threatening.

Hmm, I could go yama too though, but I don't want to eat so much spikes damage and the upside is smaller. What about Jirachi...? I'm scared of Gengar coming in on dug/yama.

The downside risk of going jirachi is that Blissey could come in again and threaten my Jirachi with twave...

Dan's thoughts: He may burn his 2nd turn of sleep here or he may switch fearing rock slide. I'm going to ice beam as this is fairly safe no matter what he does.

Zapdos, come back!
    Go! Jirachi!
    The opposing Tyranitar used Ice Beam!
    (Jirachi lost 3% of its health!)
    Turn 38

My thoughts:
    Well, his ttar can't do much to me, rachi is still pretty healthy all things considered, and he has to work hard not to let me wish up yama for free right now.

Dan's thoughts: He goes rachi, safe play from him. He will almost certainly wish here so I will switch to Metagross. I cannot switch to Gengar to threaten Burn as that puts me in a position where tyranitar comes in and traps me.

Jirachi used Wish!
    Turn 39

My thoughts: He went Ice Beam as an option to prevent Dugtrio from coming in, which was cool, but it shows me I can sit with zapdos against THAT all day too, which is great to know.

Now, do I sit here and protect on EQ just to heal rachi up to full, or do I more aggressively get skarm in? I like keeping rachi as healthy as possible so I have a lot of options. He could double in Gengar here and I feel that's not bad... do I want to tbolt? I feel with Spikes up to where they are I just want to stay as healthy as possible, I'll wear down meta eventually.

Dan's thoughts: He can safely stay in here to fire punch or switch to zapdos and not care at all about gross with the impending wish. He can also go skarm to finally get more spikes down. I think my best play is to go bliss. If he stays in I can use this as an opportunity to heal some of my pokemon, if he switches to zap that's perfect and if he switches to skarm I can finally force some damage on it with tbolt.

Jirachi used Protect!
    But it failed!
    Turn 40

Dan's thoughts: he opts to stay in and protect. I should be able to get some health back on my Metagross this turn with wish so that is what I will do.

Jirachi, come back!
    Go! Hariyama!
    Turn 41

My thoughts: I went yama here a bit hastily, wanting to put on the pressure. I think metagross comes in here quite safely now, but at least bliss can't heal up? I was really worried about twave here.

Dan's thoughts: He opts for hariyama which is fine. I have to play between WW and brick break here I think he will almost certainly whirlwind so I will use this turn to possibly fodder skarm.

Hariyama used Whirlwind!
    Metagross was dragged out!
    Turn 42

My thoughts: Yeah... bliss doesn't have twave lol. Oops! Well, pretty clear I need some layers going now. Let's get those spikes!

Dan's thoughts: Best outcome there, he ww's as I go skarm and metagross receives wish. I can double to tyranitar again on his skarm switch or stay in for a safe mash in case he predicts that. Im in a position where I don't have to take that risk and it allows him to go Zap-->Jirachi so I think my best play is just to mash here and finally start threatening with Gengar.

Hariyama, come back!
    Go! Skarmory!
    Skarmory avoided the attack!
    Turn 43

My thoughts:
    Spikes or WW? Spikes or WW? The spikes should stick anyway, and I can heal up pursuit tar if I really need to later.

Dan's thoughts: Missed mash, only would have mattered if I got an atk raise. I should be able to go gar freely here on his second layer. It's far too risky for him to double tar in.

Skarmory used Spikes!
    Spikes were scattered on the ground all around the opposing team!
    Turn 44

My thoughts: Here comes the rub. I could protect but I want to go straight to ttar so that he cant risk the double.

Dan's thoughts: He finally gets his 2nd layer of spikes up. I think I can freely fire punch here on the rachi switch. If he goes ttar I should be able to 1v1 it w/ giga drain.

Skarmory, come back!
    Go! Tyranitar!
    The opposing Gengar used Fire Punch!
    (Tyranitar lost 9% of its health!)
    Turn 45

My thoughts: I pursuit because some damage is better than no damage, and I can't have it fleeing on me.

Dan's thoughts: He goes ttar, time to giga drain. I live crunch here if he does that.

The opposing Gengar used Giga Drain!
    It's super effective!
    (Tyranitar lost 29% of its health!)
    Tyranitar used Pursuit!
    It's super effective!
    (The opposing Gengar lost 40% of its health!)
    Turn 46

My thoughts: He giga drains, I am in range of another giga drain or spikes afterwards, so I'm going zapdos to deny him the extra recovery. Pursuit vs Crunch is a hard call but I did not feel comfortable seeing the matchup repeat itself and just wanted to deny the recovery. The sack is also useful for later if I want to deny a switch.

Dan's thoughts: Baller play would be to fire punch the incoming rachi but I don't think I can afford to let this take too much damage so Giga it is. He can also go zap here which would wouldn't care too much about fire punch either.

Tyranitar, come back!
    Go! Zapdos!
    The opposing Gengar used Giga Drain!
    (Zapdos lost 6% of its health!)
    Zapdos had its energy drained!
    Turn 47

My thoughts: I can burn a sleep turn and get ice punched or I can go rachi and at least threaten to pass a wish ...

Dan's thoughts: He goes Zapdos, really tempting to boom here but I want to get a wisp off on rachi before that happens. Also tempting to wisp on the incoming rachi but I don't want him freely getting a rest turn. I think it's finally time to reveal aero here to threaten the Zapdos as he still has 1 turn of sleep.

Cowboy Dan sent out Aerodactyl!
    Zapdos, come back!
    Go! Jirachi!
    Turn 48

My thoughts: Makes me glad I switched to rachi now! Did cover aero nicely too, now I look smart xD.

Aero is forced to choice lock here, so it can EQ and give me a free switch, or he can hard switch out again to Gengar and get that wisp off.

Then, I'm really relying on Skarm to beat out aero. Skarm beats out metagross, as does zapdos, and mixtar I am slowly burning fire blast PP from, so hopefully I can start pressuring that too. But I really need rachi not burnt to help pass wishes to yama. Even with two layers of spikes down, yama is not doing a whole lot right now.

I'm going to need the ttar sack to take out blissey, then Rachi + Skarm can handle the rest I think? That's, if I take out gengar.

I'm gonna make a ballsy move and use tbolt to try and frustrate gengar.

Dan's thoughts: He goes Jirachi. I can't afford to EQ here in case of body slam para, tempting to go Gengar here to threaten wisp although he likely just goes back to Zap if I do that. I can go bliss to get some healing done but the issue is he then gets a free pass to yama. Im thinking Gengar is my best play here. This also covers a potential skarm switch.

Cowboy Dan withdrew Aerodactyl!
    Jirachi used Thunderbolt!
    (The opposing Gengar lost 26% of its health!)
    Turn 49

My thoughts: I was definitely praying for a crit or paralysis, haha... this thing is annoying.

I want to keep jirachi out of harm's way, and not let it get burned. I'm going zapdos cos I want to wake it up and scare this gengar. If he brings in blissey, that's what the ttar sack is for. Otherwise, it's tbolting season. If aero comes in to pressure here instead or something, then I'm bringing in skarmory and handling it that way.

Dan's thoughts: He goes tbolt so no fire punch. Interesting play since If I eq that puts me in a good spot. Fortunately no para so I can threaten wisp here. He may switch back to zap though but I think I can afford to double here as he could very easily stay in.

Jirachi, come back!
    Go! Zapdos!
    But it failed!
    Turn 50

Dan's thoughts: He does go Zap. Again very tempting to boom here. I think going bliss is probably the play on this turn to get some health on things

Zapdos is fast asleep.
    Turn 51

Dan's thoughts: He finally burns that last sleep turn. I expect a light screen here so Im just gonna get some health back on bliss with softboiled.

Zapdos, come back!
    Go! Tyranitar!
    Tyranitar fainted!
    Go! Dugtrio!
    Turn 52

Dan's thoughts:
    Bad move by me he sacks the tar to spikes allowing dug to get in. bliss goes down and I follow up with skarm to threaten WW

Dugtrio used Earthquake!
    (The opposing Blissey lost 47% of its health!)
    The opposing Blissey fainted!
    Turn 53

My thoughts:
    He brought in blissey, I did the sequence to take it out, and then he responds with Skarmory. Staying in here is dumb and I don't wanna be toxic'd. I'm assuming a whirlwind is incoming, but at least whatever comes in next can take out skarmory.

Dan's thoughts: Just going to WW here hopefully roar in anything but Zap.

Dugtrio, come back!
    Go! Skarmory!
    The opposing Skarmory used Roar!
    Zapdos was dragged out!
    Turn 54

My thoughts: Well hey that's nice. World's freest tbolt. I don't need LS here anyways...

Dan's thoughts:
    Womp womp worst possible scenario he goes skarm and i roar in zap, nothing takes spikes and im forced to sack something here. I think I have to let skarm go.

Zapdos woke up!
    Zapdos used Thunderbolt!
    It's super effective!
    (The opposing Skarmory lost 1% of its health!)
    The opposing Skarmory fainted!
    Turn 55

My thoughts:
    I go Skarmory here. No point risking an EQ as a panic play, or even taking spikes damage with Rachi.

Dan's thoughts: The plan is to follow up with aero I can double to tar on the expected skarm switch but if he tries to fodder dug here that's really bad for me. I can also rock slide to get some damage on skarm. This is probably my safest overall play.

Zapdos, come back!
    Go! Skarmory!
    The opposing Aerodactyl used Rock Slide!
    (Skarmory lost 39% of its health!)
    Turn 56

My thoughts: The question is, protect, spikes, tox, ww...? Spikes only helps against Tar/Meta, not really my main problems right now. I want to stay as healthy as I can versus aero to be honest, but also I don't switch in to gengar endlessly either. Is he going gar or staying in with aero (or even, bringing in ttar?). At this point, Yama+Dug is good for finishing off TTar, the question is really, how do I get tbolts off now with rachi/zapdos?

Actually, Jirachi is the play here because that covers gengar, takes rock slide, and it can afford to take spikes still if I need it to.

Dan's thoughts: He can go to rachi here so I think doubling to gengar is the play this also covers him staying in.

Skarmory, come back!
    Go! Jirachi!
    Turn 57

My thoughts: The goal here is take out gengar and then pretty much win with skarmory and then zapdos's tbolts whenever metagross wants to get fancy...

Dan's thoughts: He goes rachi, time to get a wisp off. If I hit rachi it's great, if I hit zap it forces it on a timer again.

Jirachi was burned!
    Jirachi used Thunderbolt!
    (The opposing Gengar lost 24% of its health!)
    Jirachi was hurt by its burn!
    Turn 58

My thoughts: I think I want to wish up with rachi here, ensure it's the one getting the healing, then bring in yama... as it takes more spikes damage, it can be used as fodder to trap ttar... or meta... with dug later. Taunt is a possibility here from Gengar but it seems risky to me?

I don't know if I'm the only person to run taunt wisp fire grass coverage on gengar...

If he has taunt, actually, you know it might be the play. But if he has that, then, well rachi is a goner anyway and won't be a part of me holding up against aero. If it isn't taunt, then I want to wish, but even so i'll have a hard time against aero. Hmm.

If I switch out, rachi is effectively coming back in at around 20% hp, which isn't great. But I am considering, what if I bring in hariyama here? It's decent vs taunt and vs ttar if it comes in, and I can knock off again threatening everything bar metagross, in turn being able to dug trap meta.... but I don't really care that much about doing that.

What I need is Jirachi to be as healthy as possible.

If he has taunt, he uses that and i stay low. If he doesn't, he goes ttar and that causes problems.

Hard turn.

Dan's thoughts: I do hit the rachi. This gives aero a shot. I can still save gengar for a boom on the zap or I can sacrifice it to put damage on the rachi here. An option is to boom to prevent a wish coming off After boom + burn he'll be down to around 21% leaving him in aero range but skarm is still a threat. and dug picks off my other two. I think going metagross here is the better play.

Jirachi used Wish!
    Turn 59

My thoughts:
    Protect to make the wish count, simple enough.

Dan's thoughts: He goes wish so don't get to threaten boom but can threaten mash here freely.

Jirachi used Protect!
    Jirachi avoided the attack!
    Turn 60

My thoughts: Zapdos is actually rather valuable as a tool against gengar... hmm.

I can sack yama, trap meta, then get off a nice tbolt with zapdos.

Dan's thoughts:
    He goes protect. He is probably forced in to skarm this turn so I will just mash. If he fodders to get dug in my EVs allow me to live barring crit.

Jirachi, come back!
    Go! Hariyama!
    (Hariyama lost 26% of its health!)
    Hariyama fainted!
    Go! Dugtrio!
    Turn 61

Dan's thoughts: He fodders hariyama, with my bulk I should live dug EQ
    Just gotta eq back.

Dugtrio used Earthquake!
    It's super effective!
    (The opposing Metagross lost 78% of its health!)
    The opposing Metagross used Earthquake!
    (Dugtrio lost 34% of its health!)
    Dugtrio fainted!
    Go! Zapdos!
    Turn 62

My thoughts: Zap is the obvious follow up because it doesnt take any passive damage here. Meta is at best good for a sack now, the question is, is that sack more valuable than his ttar? At some point, I'll be switching my zapdos into gengar to tbolt in retaliation I think...

Dan's thoughts:
    Thankfully no crit, now time to think about the end game sequences. He almost certainly goes tbolt here as something dies.I think Gengar is my best fodder, I go to that, follow up with aero click RS as he goes rachi fodder metagross preventing wish go tyranitar hope to god I hit fire blast force his zap to rest with tar, get aero in and either have good odds to flinch out skarm since he has to switch or kill zap and win with tar.

Zapdos used Thunderbolt!
    (The opposing Gengar lost 13% of its health!)
    The opposing Gengar fainted!
    Turn 63

My thoughts: +addie nicole: wait why in god's name was gar sac the play

What he said... hm. Interesting...

My guts say Jirachi.

Zapdos, come back!
    Go! Jirachi!
    (Jirachi lost 19% of its health!)
    Turn 64

My thoughts:
    And it worked out. If he EQ'd there, then... hm. well, guess i go skarm and go for a third spikes layer? Hm. I think that play might have won it for me?

The opposing Metagross fainted!
    Turn 65

Jirachi used Protect!
    Turn 66

My thoughts:
    Protect is the first play, to burn more PP, then Wish to keep jirachi healthy.

From here we just play it out (no more writing).

Jirachi used Wish!
    The opposing Tyranitar used Brick Break!
    A critical hit!
    (Jirachi lost 25% of its health!)
    Jirachi fainted!
    Go! Skarmory!
    Turn 67

Skarmory used Protect!
    Skarmory protected itself!
    Turn 68

Skarmory, come back!
    Go! Zapdos!
    Turn 69

It's super effective!
    (Zapdos lost 18% of its health!)
    Zapdos was frozen solid!
    Turn 70

Zapdos thawed out!
    Zapdos used Thunderbolt!
    A critical hit!
    (The opposing Tyranitar lost 75% of its health!)
    It's super effective!
    (Zapdos lost 18% of its health!)
    Turn 71

Zapdos used Thunderbolt!
    (The opposing Tyranitar lost 31% of its health!)
    The opposing Tyranitar fainted!
    Turn 72

It's super effective!
    (Zapdos lost 58% of its health!)
    Zapdos fainted!
    Go! Skarmory!
    Turn 73

(Skarmory lost 39% of its health!)
    Skarmory used Toxic!
    The opposing Aerodactyl avoided the attack!
    Turn 74

Skarmory used Protect!
    Turn 75

(Skarmory lost 37% of its health!)
    Skarmory used Toxic!
    The opposing Aerodactyl was badly poisoned!
    The opposing Aerodactyl was hurt by poison!
    Turn 76

Skarmory used Protect!
    Turn 77

Skarmory used Protect!
    Turn 78

Skarmory used Protect!
    But it failed!
    (Skarmory lost 40% of its health!)
    Turn 79

Skarmory used Protect!
    Turn 80

Skarmory used Protect!
    But it failed!
    (Skarmory lost 26% of its health!)
    Skarmory fainted!

Closing Thoughts

My Thoughts: The set was very close, and I felt both of us got lucky breaks at times (or at least, some unlucky breaks, like us both having a horrible phaze bringing in exactly what we didn't want to see...). Even though it took a really long time to play this whole thing out, it was extremely fun and a great experience trying to play Pokemon at the highest level possible with no restriction on the time to make a move.

I feel like my biggest misplay was on turn 57, I think. Letting Jirachi get burned was extremely crippling, and Zapdos was threatening every time it came in once Blissey was down. Also, Earthworm commented correctly that I misplayed my Jirachi at the end; I could have used it as a sack to get additional toxic damage on aerodactyl, which could have won me the game. I also choked not realising that because Blissey had Wish it meant that it wouldn't also have Thunder Wave... if I had realised that, I would have been able to heal up Hariyama in the middle of the game and exerted more pressure.

The situation with Skarmory against my Pursuit Tar makes me reconsider the utility of maybe putting Lum Berry on Tyranitar, but I don't know if I'm convinced one way or the other on it for now. Also, one super interesting thing to note from the game was the fact that the team's lack of hazard control + grounded pokemon was turned into an advantage over the spikes layers by enabling dugtrio traps. Pursuit Tyranitar is especially great for this as it often gets low in the process of doing its job, and doesn't need hazards cleared to do it. It can attempt to pursuit Gengar (as it did in this game) and then be used to enable Dugtrio later.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    asbdsp, Gacu and Plague von Karma like this.
  2. Dizno

Dizno Liquid Swords Host Emeritus

I appreciate the work you lads put into this

Disaster Area likes this.
  3. Disaster Area

thanks man I appreciate the positive reception you and others have given this :)

4. asbdsp

asbdsp Member

This is really cool. I've always loved these kind of things.

Edit: Do one for a GSC stall vs stall. You know, if you have a free semester or something to kill playing a single game of mons. XD

Disaster Area likes this.
  5. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END. Member

Spikes stall vs. Spikes stall is usually decided pretty fast and largely via movesets, although if the losing player decides to draw it out it can take A While.

Spikes stall vs. DrumLax stall would be interesting, though.

6. Disaster Area

I'm not good enough for this but maybe ask earthworm if he would be willing to do this with someone. That would be awesome to see, I'm sure we all wish we could see inside the pirate's head when he's battling haha