1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION: For our 2023 season all of our tournaments will be hosted via the Pokémon Perfect Discord server rather than the forums. Please join us there and continue to enjoy our tournaments! https://discord.gg/2CsWWnan2A
  3. Tournaments

Check out the 2024 Tournament Calendar and join our discord server to participate in our tournaments!

A history of my arguments with PP management

Discussion in 'Not Pokémon' started by GGFan, Aug 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GGFan

GGFan Member

Recent messages from Disaster Area and marcoasd were an attempt to convince other people (or themselves) that I am "notorious" for having a "shitty attitude" because I've gotten into a few arguments here. As ridiculous as that logic is, I nonetheless decided to look back at all the times I had major disputes with PP management. Note that all of my arguments took place in tournaments that I was involved in.

For this thread I decided to be as impartial as I possibly could. While I realize that it's impossible for someone to be 100% unbiased, I have tried to analyze these arguments and their after math in an honest fashion. It was also interesting for me to look back at some of these old arguments.

Throughout my tenure in PP I have been in four major arguments:

1. 2014 World Championship
    2. Master Tournament 18
    3. PPL
    4. Master Tournament 27

2014 World Championship
    In this tournament, players were placed in groups of 4 and had to play each person in their groups once. If you won, you were awarded points for the amount of Pokemon left remaining. This made the tournament rather luck based, and I put its credibility into question when I had a 2-2 record and needed to 6-0 my final opponent in order to advance. I, of course, was not happy with the structure of this tournament, and suggested that tiebreakers be decided by a round-robin finale rather than the amount of points gained.

To my surprise, this argument was a lot more heated than I thought. I argued very passionately yet persuasively here, convincing others to at least question the format. Ultimately, people began to take my side, most notably SoulWind, who also said that he would be as annoyed as I was if he were in my position. Golden Gyarados also agreed with me, deciding to implement a round-robin finale in case I beat Atli. Unfortunately, I didn't, but I changed the structure of the tournament for the better.

In Retrospect
    I used some strong language here, specifically when I said the tournament would be a joke if the format were kept the way it was. One reason I felt strongly about my position was because this was supposed to be the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP. I felt that a tournament that had such a prestigious name should have at least tried to live up to that name.

Important notes

~I joined PP on May 25th, 2013. This argument took place on September 2014, and was my first one. So, for almost a year and a half, I never even got into a dispute.
    ~In this argument, nobody threatened me, insulted me, or told me I had a bad attitude. I was able to state my case, debate with others, and didn't have to worry about the threat of a ban simply because I disagreed with somebody. Then again, Golden Gyarados was in charge of this tournament--not marco or DA--which might explain why.....

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  2. GGFan

GGFan Member

Master Tournament 18
    In this tournament my first-round opponent was Ice Tea, an (at the time), new, random player who disappeared for over 2 weeks. Instead of advancing the tournament, Lutra kept it in the first round and gave Ice Tea the win, which I expected him to do given what happened in the Smogon RBY Tournament, when Lutra agreed to ban me.

The main argument to advance Ice Tea was that he started appearing on Pokemon Online, while I did not. This resulted in me saying that it's more important to be here than on Pokemon Online, as this was a Pokemon Perfect tournament. Surprisingly enough, marco actually agreed with that and gave me the chance to play Ice Tea. However, there was so much animosity between me, marco and Lutra that I didn't have the heart to play. Moreover, I was becoming burned out from so much politics.

In Retrospect
    I was definitely too aggressive here. I used some very disrespectful language towards both Lutra and marco, mostly because this incident couldn't have happened at a worse time. I was bothered by the politics from the Smogon tournament, only for Lutra to remain a thorn on my side in this one. However, I still think this argument had to happen because it was truly the first time when somebody (me) put the credibility of PP as a whole into question. If we have a community where being active on its forum doesn't count for anything, does PP even exist? The fact that marco gave me an extension instead of acquiescing to Lutra's ruling proved my point. It was a success in that regard.

Important notes
    ~By this point I had been on PP for about 2 years.
    ~This was the first time a post of mine had been deleted.

Link: Finished - RBY OU Master Tournament #18 (Won by Marcoasd) | Pokémon Perfect

3. GGFan

GGFan Member

PPL
    Disaster Area devised the "Pokemon Perfect League," a tournament which was exactly the same as the one on Smogon except, well, smaller. I signed up as the manager of team electric.

In week 4 I faced Golden Gyarados in a highly controversial match: unbeknownst to us or other people, Pokemon Online was bugged in that critical hits occurred far more than they should have. Because we had no idea there was a bug, we both assumed our games were just horrible examples of RBY RNG. I won the series 2-1, but Disaster Area reversed the decision and made me play again a couple of days later. I felt that it was my obligation as manager to dispute this call, as managers so often do in the spirit of the game. My argument was that my wins weren't influenced by the bug and that I earned them (and I felt that I could have proved that with an analysis of my games). Disaster Area argued that there was no way I could prove that, and didn't reverse the call. I agreed to play again, but because of time zone differences it didn't happen.

One thing I hated about this was how Disaster Area threatened me, but condoned useless insults by a member of Golden Gyarados's team.

In Retrospect
    Initially I thought this was my most heated argument yet, but looking back it wasn't that bad until that random user appeared and contributed nothing but animosity. I blame Disaster Area for taking it personally instead of realizing the argument was made in the spirit of the game. Golden Gyarados is a tough opponent, and I felt that my wins were earned. He disagreed, Enigami chimed in, and that was that. I tried to play him again, but couldn't. It wasn't a big deal. It certainly wasn't an argument in which it was necessary to denigrate peoples' character.

I held nothing personal against Disaster Area or Golden Gyarados. I may be passionate sometimes, but taking arguments about Pokemon games personally is your fault. I would have done the same thing if Alexander, Mister Tim, Ortheore, Captain Crunch, or Vladimir Putin were my opponent.

Once again, I definitely used some harsh language out of passion. Honestly, I argued because I felt it was the right thing to do as a manager. It was also interesting because we learned what to do in case a bug similar to that one strikes again.

Important notes
    ~Week 4 of PPL took place in April of 2016. I had been a member of PP for three years at this point. If I was the spawn of satan like DA and marco suggest, I would have been banned ages ago.

Link: Finished - PPL Week 4 | Pokémon Perfect

4. GGFan

GGFan Member

Master Tournament 27
    Finally, here we are. The reason I've posted this thread.

In MT27 a bunch of players had a good shot of winning the season, including me. My first-round opponent was mael, who was inserted into the tournament at the last second. Let me be honest here: I don't think people who didn't play in the first two tournaments should be allowed to enter the third tournament, especially if they have nothing to play for. In cases like these I support a bye, which I realize is a controversial opinion and one that not many people may agree with, but my stance is that the goal of playing in a season is to win it.

Nonetheless, I tried to play mael but some misunderstanding made that more difficult than it should have been. At first I was awarded the activity win, but then Disaster Area reversed the call and invited me to respond:

Mael@GGFan
    Also are there any other relevant communications?
    - Disaster Area

Naturally I responded and was awarded the win again. It looked like it was over: Disaster Area even gave my post a like. However, mael responded again, which prompted Disaster Area to say this:

GGFan do you have anything to say counter to what he just said? What he said is convincing in the case of him deserving activity but I want to hear what you have to say.

Now we weren't talking about having to play--this was about receiving an activity LOSS. What should have I done, then? Not said anything? Of course I responded, and of course I was a little annoyed by this childish and sycophantic remark:

ggfan is a total bitch when a call in a tour goes against him.

Not only did Disaster Area present himself as incompetent, but as a kid on a power trip. Nonetheless, I didn't fire insults back, but told him that, as a moderator, he should be above this level of name calling. A lengthy argument between us ensued, which resulted with Disaster Area saying the following:

I know, I apologised. Last time it got a bit out of hand, but I don't hold any grudge. I just don't want things to get messy again.

That was that. DA apologized, which meant that he acknowledged his mistake, and his original decision stood. The tournament continued and I said I wouldn't make any further responses. That is, until marco, for no reason, ignited the thread. With his harboring grudge against me, marco used politics and threats to not only reverse the call, but GIVE mael the activity win. Against somebody that's here every day.

This time, instead of simply making us play, Disaster Area embraced corruption by giving mael the win. I doubt marco will complain about that one even though it's far worse than what originally transpired. And it's funny how having us play and giving us a week was something that never occurred to DA. It seems as if ruining the credibility of his tournament was his top priority.

In Retrospect

I'm sorry, but unless something is done to change this decision, this tournament will forever be known as the most corrupt in PP history. This is a case in which I was actually encouraged to argue and defend myself, and kept quiet once the final decision was made. Not only that, but marco's antagonizing remarks were entirely uncalled for and unnecessary. However, now I'm being accused of having a bad attitude even I was invited to respond. Not only that, but the people making these accusations have done so with threats, insults, and blatant hypocrisy. With all of this in mind, should nothing to be done to give me the activity win or have me play mael, it's within my right to declare myself the winner of this tournament and season 9. I did not lose, no matter how hard you'll try to convince others that I did. I'm here.

Link: Ongoing - RBY 1U Master Tournament #27 | Pokémon Perfect

Important Notes
    Nothing here.

5. Lutra

Lutra Site Founder Owner

Thank you Mr. GGFan for your analysis on your major disruptions to our community. Taking this into account, I have limited your account to needing moderation approval for posting on threads.

Don't hesitate to communicate with us through this feature.

marcoasd, Ortheore and Disaster Area like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.