1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

RBY (WIP) [Violet] Nidoqueen

Discussion in 'Individual Analyses' started by Disaster Area, May 31, 2019.

1. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Catto of Furr and Power Member

Nidoqueen [​IMG]
    Type: Poison / Ground
    Stats: 90 | 92 | 87 | 75 | 85

Changes In Violet Pertinent To This Analysis:
    - Nidoqueen gains access to Softboiled.
    - Nidoqueen gains 10 base Attack and 9 base Speed.
    - Poison Sting is now 95 BP, with a 30% chance to poison.
    - Bug is not very effective against Poison, and Poison is neutral against Bug.
    - Body Slam can paralyze Normal-types.
    - For a full list of changes in Violet, see this thread.

Introduction

With the addition of Softboiled to its moveset, Nidoqueen goes from an extremely niche option in RBY OU to becoming one of the principal defensive behemoths of Violet. It is an excellent answer to another top threat in Aerodactyl, as well as to other Pokemon such as most Electric-types and many Poison-types. Its immunity to poison and Thunder Wave makes it difficult to status, making it a challenging Pokemon to wear down in any way. Needless to say, a Pokemon which not only answers a myriad of threats in the tier, including one of very best Pokemon out there in Aerodactyl, and does so extremely reliably, is a metagame-defining Pokemon and truly one of the best Pokemon of the tier in its own right.

Sets

Standard

-

Set Details

-

Other Options

-

Checks and Counters

-

2. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END. Member

Why did you remove the Bug weakness to Poison, anyway? It was the one GSC change that was just absolutely moronic, and made Poison so useless offensively that they eventually made Fairy weak to it for no reason.

3. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Catto of Furr and Power Member

lily wanted to modernise the type chart. As it is poison actually isn't too bad in violet because it's about the only RBY meta where being poison-immune is actually a meaningful upside

4. Lilyhollow

Lilyhollow Member

poison resisting bug (instead of being weak) is super relevant in violet too.

edit: ok i dunno about 'super' relevant but it's definitely a thing

5. magic9mushroom

I said "offensively".

6. Lilyhollow

Lilyhollow Member

basically the impetus behind modernizing the type chart was that ghost doing nothing to psychic was totally unacceptable, and fire not resisting ice was pretty terrible. those changes were happening 100%. if i had only updated those but not bug/poison, i'd get an earful about that (and i personally wouldn't like it anyway). it was pretty clear that the best choice was to just make the whole thing consistent with current gen.

so yes, one of the results is that poison is better defensively than it was, but not great offensively (though much better than it used to be, actually, since there are actually decent poison type attacks now). i'm happy with different typings having different strengths and weaknesses though!

Disaster Area likes this.
  7. magic9mushroom

TBQH Ghost being ineffective against Psychic does make a fair degree of sense inasmuch as if anyone's got the strength of will to shrug off the magicy attacks of Ghost, it's Psychics. It's not particularly balanced, but it's hardly nonsense.

The thing about Poison being nerfed vs. Bug is that, well, BUG SPRAY. Arthropods are vulnerable to poisons in general compared to your average humanoid (most plant alkaloids are there basically as a "do not eat" to insects, which will be fatally poisoned if they take a bite) and especially vulnerable to contact poisons due to having less barriers in place between the external environment and their cells. Poison being super-effective against Bug is as obvious as Water being super-effective against Fire. Removing it made zero sense.

(OTOH, Bug being super-effective against Poison was pretty dumb.)

8. Lilyhollow

Lilyhollow Member

yeah, it's probably not a choice i would have made if i were designing a game from scratch, i'll give you that.

Disaster Area likes this.