1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

All Gens What to do when you start to tilt

Discussion in 'Analysis and Research' started by Lojh, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Lojh

Lojh I worship BORAT Member

ITS A CRITICAL HIT!

Everyone has been here. Playing games on ladder over and over, grinding and solidifying that perfect GXE, and suddenly, earthworm starts laddering you lose a battle that you really believe that you should have won. You brush it off like its no big deal, and click the find battle tab once again. Little did you know, that battle has affected you more than you’d like to admit to your brain. Your next match, you overlook a possible moveset and forget to scout, causing you to easily lose. You have experienced the phenomenon known in the gaming world as tilting.

What is a tilt, you might ask? Wikipedia defines it as “a state of mental or emotional confusion or frustration in which a player adopts a less than optimal strategy, usually resulting in the player becoming over-aggressive.” This is a highly accurate definition, and applies to almost every video game/sport, not just pokemon. Pokemon’s version of tilting is a lot more severe, because the game requires strategy, and strategy alone. If your brain cannot rationally think or it’s decision making skills are compromised, losses are a lot more likely, and it is easier to misplay and lose. This can result in a losing streak that can make your alt downright unplayable if not recognized and dealt with. Tilting also occurs after a particularly bad day/week/month/year and is known as (atleast by me) as an irl tilt. You will play significantly worse if your mind is dealing with other feelings and/or is preoccupied with other thoughts.

What can cause tilts, you may ask? The answer is relatively simple. A tilt is caused when the player gets frustrated with any aspect of the game (luck, bad net, irl factors, opponent being too good, etc.) Irl tilts are simply caused by real life, whether it be a lousy friendship, breakup, rejection, bad test grade, etc. This frustration causes the player to either lose self confidence and play below their normal skill level, or cause the player to overextend themselves and play below their normal skill level. The overextension is caused by your brain not thinking rationally anymore and making aggressive plays where they are simply unnecessary. Being frustrated at the game is unavoidable, and is bound to happen a few times in your gaming career. Dealing with it though, is possible.

The easiest, and by far most effective way is to take a break from the game. Focusing your mind on anything else is very simple way to do this. Playing anything not related to competitive pokemon is a go to method for a lot of players, and videogames are definitely the easiest distraction available. However, make sure that the video game you play is not a competitive game, as you will not be able to perform at full capacity right after a tilt. I have found games such as Pokemon (cartridge) and Earthbound better at cheering me up as they are more comical and not super serious video games. However, people who are irl tilting and are using pokemon as a distraction are not helped by this method. Irl tilting can be helped by simply talking to a friend. As a male, I can tell you that females are much easier to confide problems in and are definitely more sympathetic most of the time. One specific time where I was going through a particularly bad tilt that lasted a few weeks, I tried to meet up with friends as much as possible and express how I feel. I didn’t tell them that the reason I wanted to meet with them is to feel better, but they succeeded in helping me out and restoring confidence in my ability. Another distraction I find helpful if you really want to consider laddering is to play slower and to account for luck and surprises before you make a move so you don’t make rash decisions and get punished for them. After winning a game or two, most tilts are negated and your brain is able to make rational choices again. Load up a stall team or a team that is less prediction reliant, or else you have a high chance of losing. The hardest way, but one that requires no break, is to analyze what moves you made left you vulnerable to luck in the game that started the tilt and to use them as a learning experience. A lot of times, not always, there was a play that you made previous to the lucking sutuation that would have been more optimal and left you at a lower chance of losing the game. Note that this strategy requires a really strong mind, ability to admit that you’ve made a mistake, and a will to improve. People who can do this usually are already very good and use ladder to become even better at the game and are not too worked up over points. They also have the “luck happens” attitude and believe that playing well will overcome luck in the long run. When this strategy is employed, players can even become better at the game, and become more resistant to tilts in the future. Good players are able to see when they are tilting and react accordingly.

Another good way to work around tilts is to write a few paragraphs about tilting to get your mind off of things. ( ͜。 ͡ʖ ͜。)

willdbeast likes this.