1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

RBY [Violet] Beedrill

Discussion in 'Individual Analyses' started by Disaster Area, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Fur and Power Member

Beedrill [​IMG]
    Type: Bug / Poison
    Stats: 65 | 80 | 40 | 45 | 130

Changes In Violet Pertinent To This Analysis:

- Beedrill gains 50 base speed, bumping it up from 80 to 130
    - Beedrill learns Dream Eater and no longer learns Swords Dance
    - Dream Eater is now a 200 BP, Ghost-Type move, which works against sleeping, poisoned, or badly poisoned targets, healing 100% of damage dealt. Twineedle is now 40 BP per hit, each hit still having a 20% chance to poison (giving it a 36% chance of poisoning each time Twineedle is used). Poison Sting is now 95 BP, with a 30% chance to poison.
    - Bug is not very effective against Poison, and Poison is neutral against Bug.
    - For a full list of changes in Violet, see this thread.

Introduction

Beedrill certainly has a ton of flaws - it is frail, weak, and with a very limited typing defensively. However, there are certainly upsides to it now that bolster its effectiveness. The speed increase, firstly, is gigantic for it; now it speed ties with Aerodactyl, and outspeeds every other Pokemon bar Electrode (although in Ultra Violet, Primeape also outspeeds), and its critical hit rate is a little over 25%! The buffs to Twineedle and Poison Sting give it good STABs to use, and their decent respective chances to poison synergise well with Dream Eater. It struggles to compete with Tauros as a revenge killer, however its synergy with a different status strategy helps it find a niche.

Sets

Standard

Beedrill
    - Twineedle
    - Poison Sting
    - Dream Eater
    - Mega Drain / Hyper Beam

Set Details

Twineedle and Poison Sting are STABs, and Dream Eater lets it deal impressive damage to poisoned opponents. Mega Drain deals respectable damage to Golem and Kabutops, two quite physically bulky Pokemon resisting its stronger STAB, while Hyper Beam is its strongest move by far against Poison-types besides Gengar, although it has to be used as a finishing move.

Beedrill is best designed to act as a cleaner, albeit if you can get it in safely (for example, against a sleeping opponent) and fire off free attacks, it can act as a breaker of sorts. Compared with Tauros, which acts similarly, Beedrill has the upside of markedly higher speed, and it synergises with Dream Eater-focused teams (typically spreading more poison than paralysis), but it is far easier to wall than Tauros.

Other Options

Beedrill has a fair number of other options it could use in the final slot rather than Mega Drain or Hyper Beam. For example, Double-Edge lets it hit and run against Poison-type switch-ins, however Nidoqueen can recover off the damage dealt with Softboiled, and the recoil will be significant against Muk, due to Muk's high base HP compared to Beedrill. Agility is an option, which, rather than providing it additional (yet still saddeningly limited) coverage, enables it to counteract paralysis. Finally, Toxic is worth mentioning, but as it spreads status somewhat reliably through its attacks anyway, it's not recommended.

Checks and Counters

Gengar is the best answer. As it can't be poisoned, it can only he hurt by Dream Eater if it is asleep. It resists Poison Sting, Twineedle, Mega Drain, and is immune to all other Beedrill attacks, so it is an extraordinarily good answer to Beedrill so long as it is awake. In fact, Poison-types in general are excellent Beedrill answers, due to their immunity to being poisoned, in combination with their resistance to Bug and Poison, meaning that unless they are asleep, Beedrill can do very little damage to them, except with Hyper Beam (or Double-Edge). Nidoqueen is particularly good at answering Beedrill, in fact, due to its access to Softboiled and quadruple resistance to Poison.

Beyond Poison-types, Normal-types are notable for their immunity to Dream Eater, Ground- and Rock-types for their resistance to Poison, and Flying-, Fire-, and Fighting-types for their resistance to Bug. Aerodactyl, in particular, resists both Bug and Poison and speed ties Beedrill. Ghost-types other than Gengar (i.e. Golduck) resist both Bug- and Poison-type attacks, but due to their weakness to Dream Eater they become ineffecive as Beedrill answers once poisoned.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Lilyhollow and DarkCyborg like this.
  2. DarkCyborg

DarkCyborg I represent the power of Ice! Member

That's a Violet's change, right? I'm sure that in original RBY, only the last hit has a chance to poison the foe.

3. Disaster Area

I don't know the RBY mechanics, but I know the violet mechanics \shrug/

DarkCyborg likes this.
  4. Lilyhollow

Lilyhollow Member

Uh hm... I don't know how this actually functions in the current implementation of Violet. Actually, I'm not sure how it functioned ever. However, whatever it is in RBY or in the current implementation of Violet, the intent is for the poison chance to apply to each hit.

Disaster Area likes this.
  5. Disaster Area

Enigami maybe we should check to see how this is working

6. DarkCyborg

Disaster Area and Lilyhollow like this.
  7. Lilyhollow

Lilyhollow Member

That's a really good catch, thank you! I somehow didn't consider that that'd be how it worked in RBY!

DarkCyborg and Disaster Area like this.
  8. Disaster Area

with twineedle
    does it have 20% chance to poison on each atk
    or just 20% overall
    ?
    SceptrossToday at 16:54
    20% on the second attack
    which means 20% overall in practice

I asked in the RBY development chat I'm in (people like crystal_ etc in there) and that's what they're saying too

DarkCyborg likes this.
  9. DarkCyborg

Yeah, multihits moves are just odd on RBY. Same damage for each hit, even if if's crit... Twineedle's poison couldn't be different xD