1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

GSC OU (OverUsed) Umbreon [Discussion Ready]

Discussion in 'Individual Analyses' started by Lojh, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Lojh

Lojh I worship BORAT Member

Umbreon [​IMG]
    Type: Dark
    Stats: 95 | 65 | 110 | 60 | 130 | 65

Introduction

Umbreon is one of the few eevelutions that is in OU. It shares its status with both Jolteon and Vaporeon, but unlike them, does not have a 110 Special attack stat and cannot utilize growth. Umbreon plays much differently, and its claim to fame are its decent typing, STAB Pursuit, 95/110/130 mixed defenses, Charm, and Toxic. Just to show how bulky Umbreon is, it has less than a 1% chance to be 3HKOed by Zapdos' Thunder. In a metagame with Curselax running rampant, a large amount of non setup attackers, and numerous Pokemon crippled by Toxic, Umbreon can definitely shine in the GSC OU metagame.

Sets

Charmbreon

Umbreon @ Leftovers
    - Charm
    - Pursuit
    - Rest/Moonlight
    - Toxic/Sleep Talk

Set Details

This is Umbreon's most commonly used set. This set utilizes Charm to neutralise threats like Curselax and Nidoking. Any non-LK, non-Drum Snorlax is rendered useless by Charm, and Charm's -2 Attack drop coupled with its 32 PP make it excellent for stalling out Curse sweepers and most physically offensive threats. Pursuit is also on the set, to damage Ghosts and Psychics that Umbreon commonly forces out. With Toxic, Umbreon can heavily cripple and damage top tier threats like Cloyster and Exeggutor. Umbreon can also easily remove Starmie from the game, Which is a rather large help to stall teams or teams that like Spikes down. With Resttalk, Umbreon becomes a nightmare to take down and is very bulky, but Moonlight can be used to have instantaneous recovery. 8 PP can be annoying to work with, especially on slower teams. With Moonlight, Umbreon is vulnerable to status. Rest without Sleep talk is usable, and Umbreon is tanky enough to survive 2 turns against most Pokemon. Umbreon's Pursuit comes off a somewhat lackluster 60 Special Attack, but with the amount of switching in GSC the damage can add up. Misdreavus with Rest walls Umbreon, so don't expect Umbreon to remove Ghost types the way Tyranitar or Houndoom can.

MeanLook

Umbreon @ Leftovers
    - Mean Look
    - Charm/Sand Attack/Confuse Ray
    - Rest/Moonlight
    - Baton Pass/Toxic

Set Details

In Pokemon, you can do two things each turn. You can either switch, or use an attack. With Mean Look, one of these options is essentially removed. The rest of the set revolves around either preventing phazing, which will nullify Mean Look, Recovery, or what to do after a Pokemon is trapped. Charm is usually used on this set, as it stops most Physical attackers cold. Sand Attack and Confuse Ray are used to stop Phazers and get the Baton Pass to something that can OHKO them. Sand Attack can stack with itself and has more PP than confuse ray, and is also permanent until switch-out. Confuse ray is nice because it has a 50% chance to make the Pokemon damage itself and can be used to cheese Marowak and Drumlax. Because of the fact that Sand Attack is permanent but Confuse Ray has a higher instant drop in the chance of a move hitting, Sand Attack is more useful when the Pokémon you pass to is a set-up sweeper, and Confuse Ray is better at stopping Phazers and appreciate partners that can OHKO them. Baton Pass is used most of the time, and really epitomizes the "divide and conquer" strategy. Toxic is a rather niche choice that will fail against most pokemon with Rest and Steel types. The Baton Pass set appreciates spikes up, as Umbreon can abuse the threat of Mean Look to dry-pass (Baton Pass without setup) and gain momentum. Umbreon likes to have certain Pokémon to pass too, and these Pokémon are the ones who are able to OHKO or set up on a majority of Phazers. Zapdos, Snorlax, and Marowak are good Pokémon to pass to.

Other Options

Umbreon can Baton Pass Curse and Growth, which can be hilariously effective against teams without phazers. One could run attract with 1 Attack DV (to make Umbreon female) to annoy phazers and most pokemon, but genderless pokemon like Raikou and Zapdos can switch in and cause all kinds of havoc. Zap Cannon is a hilarious alternative to Toxic, and can provide para support and does a decent amount of damage to Skarmory.

Checks and Counters

Machamp annihilates any Umbreon set with Cross Chop's high Base Power and Crit ratio, and Heracross also devours Umbreon with its stellar attack and Megahorn. Machamp must be wary of toxic, as it puts Machamp on a timer. Drumlax and Marowak can break past Umbreon with their superior setup moves and attack stats. Marowak too, is often set on a timer by Toxic. Umbreon is countered by it's Growth Eeveelution siblings as they can take advantage of Umbreon's passive nature. Any Pokémon with Rest can serve as a "counter" to Umbreon, as it is not threatened by it. These Pokemon must be weary of Mean Look, however. When attempting to counter Umbreon, always assume it is a Mean Look variant and switch in a phazer.This is to ensure you are not at an early disadvantage due to a surprise Mean Look.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  2. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END. Member

its
    its claims to fame are its
    non-LK, non-Drum
    its
    without
    Rest
    off
    these options is essentially
    Replace entire quote with: is also permanent until switch-out
    its
    Marowak

3. Lojh

Doned, are there any conceptual changes or additions i need to make?

AH apparently you cant quote quotes. :\

4. Ortheore

Ortheore Leader

In C&C maybe the Electrics are worth mentioning, since Umbreon usually doesn't want to be taking them on. Growth users are also worth mentioning I guess, since they can exploit Umb's lack of offensive presence and don't care about Charm. Also in C&C it's probably worth mentioning that Umbreon should always be handled with a phazer until you can confirm that it lacks Mean Look.

5. Lojh

actually, umbreon has a 1% chance of getting 3HKOed (not factoring misses) by Zapdos and no chance of getting 3HKOed by Raikou. It can just sit back and relax vs them. (get it? relax, like rest. ugh I try too much) will put in growth and the phazer thing

6. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Fur and Power Member

I would do this small change:
    also
    i guess? I don't know, though, it doesn't strike me as a non-GSC player why this fact is important?

Mention that Rest also clears status (idk how useful that is for umby). What is the opportunity cost of running sleep talk - what sort of support does it need when it can't fit toxic?

I feel the Mean Look set's description is kinda inadequate. It seems to me that you have two different ways of playing it: with baton pass, or self-sufficiently with Toxic. You don't really talk about what Pokemon it can usually trap. What Pokemon make good partners if you use Baton Pass on it? I guess you should compare confuse ray and sand attack as: confuse ray is better at stopping phazers, whereas sand attack is useful for set-up sweeping partners.

When mentioning dry-passing, explain why having spikes up is useful. (I guess it's kinda hard to describe lol)

In OO, mention how Attract does have the advantage over Confuse Ray of being permanent for as long as both Pokemon are on the field.

In C&C, mention how Marowak is only put on a timer if it doesn't carry rest.

I guess you can say that any Pokemon with Rest or which is immune to Toxic (and isn't weak to Dark) is a counter. Maybe give a special mention to Forretress also as it can spike up on umbreon.

When talking about the ML variant in C&C, say something along the lines of "until Umbreon's set has been revealed" (with regards to assuming Umbreon is mean look)

good work so far even though I had a lot to say :)

Should RestTalk Charm Growl be in OO, it's a lulzy set I've heard of.

Also, very minor aesthetic point, I would prefer it if, in the sets given, there is a space on either side of the /, so like Rest / Moonlight > Rest/Moonlight.

7. Ortheore

Ortheore Leader

Hmm I'm not going to dispute that Umb can withstand the electrics if need be, but it's been my experience that they're nonetheless capable of chasing it out, which I think is down to a combination of the fact that it can't really do anything to them and the fact that other pokemon are a much higher priority (e.g. checking CurseLax is more important than trying to take on Zap, especially when the latter is still decent at forcing you on the back foot). I just thought I'd clarify my position, I don't really mind either way which way you go.

8. Lojh

however, if curselax has been removed and starmie and egg pursuit trapped and umbreon has no real duty, it can wall them. It is just one of the few pokemon without a resistance able to achieve said feat. I just want to show how bulky it is.

9. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END. Member

If you don't know why Zapdos' Thunder matters in GSC, you probably shouldn't stick your nose into GSC analyses.

(RestTalk + Hidden Power Zapdos is probably the next-most powerful thing in GSC OU after Snorlax, able to stick around and win matchups vs. loleverything. Thunder's preferred by most because of the para chance.)

10. Lojh

Zapdos thunder is sooo spammable and it paras stuff, and with a crit can put even snorlax in a pinch. with a para and proper spikes support, it can even take out raikou. it is only truly walled by blissey, but blissey sucks

11. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Fur and Power Member

I mean, some of the people who will read this will be people with no or very little experience and wanting to learn. Also, I'm sticking my nose in because I have experience writing analyses and thinking critically about them, and I know just about enough to do that effectively. And I'm aware Zapdos' Thunder is kind of important but it wasn't really made clear why being able to live that is particularly significant. If Lojh put something like
    too, then it would be better.

Maybe also clarify then if you mention it, when it should/shouldn't be taking it (but try and be curt about it as it is the introduction)