1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

Community The Future of RBY on Pokémon Perfect

Discussion in 'Chat' started by Genesis7, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Genesis7

Genesis7 Host Emeritus

I brought this up on Discord before but figured I would make a thread here so that everyone could get into the discussion.

With dwindling numbers of signups on PP overall, but specifically in RBY tournaments, which have been the claim to fame of PP for many years, I think it is a good time to discuss how we, as the RBY community, should move forward. Smogon RBY tournaments are becoming more popular and have been cropping up more and more since Lutra, Sceptross, tjdaas, and co. have made a push for representation. Where the restrictions of hosting tournaments on Smogon used to be more rigid, they have now become more relaxed and anyone can host just about anything (albeit with some wait times). So what is the "point" of continuous support for PP? Would it not be better to focus our attention on Smogon, where our leadership here is the leadership there? The proof that the RBY community can be great on Smogon will help us to maintain representation in official Smogon tournaments in the future and bring in more players than PP ever could. I believe we can host the seasonals as they have been planned, and potentially more smaller tournaments on Smogon to replace the constant flow of Master Tournaments on here.

There are of course some obvious cons to this proposal:
    1. Legacy: We lose all the medals and trophies accumulated on here and our legendary players will have to start from scratch.
    2. Certain players: Disaster Area is the primary one that comes to mind. He obviously cannot join us on Smogon and that would suck as he is a good competitor. Others like ErPeris, Enigami, and Lusch have expressed preference for PP over Smogon as well.
    3. The promise of representation: I think we can very feasibly transition over to Smogon right now, but management shifts and we do not have full control over what happens with our tours, who gets banned or tournament banned, etc.

In order to keep the community growing I think the shift of our playerbase and tournament scene to Smogon is somewhat necessary. We have done all we can here in terms of promotion and hosting and people are just not interested in playing off-site. But let me know your thoughts and potential strategies for keeping the community here alive.

Chrysalis, tjdaas, Troller and 4 others like this.
  2. Christos

Christos Against all odds ! Member

Community - A proposal, and serious discussion | Pokémon Perfect
    In the post linked above, I had explained why I prefer Pokemon Perfect over Smogon. The main reason up to this day is the more mature and friendly attitude of Pokemon Perfect's community compared to that of Smogon and unless this changes, I can't see myself as a "smogoner". So, in my opinion, in terms of atmosphere Pokemon Perfect >> Smogon.
    In terms of RBY tournaments, I still prefer Pokemon Perfect. As they say, less is more. Joining a RBY Master Tournament means that I can get very competitive games and also have less trouble scheduling, which is huge when you have a busy schedule. Actually, I think that the larger size of Smogon's tournaments is a drawback at the moment just because of painful scheduling. Those tournaments are just too big and last for too long, offering little in terms of quality in order to compensate for that. Their size usually means that the level of competition in the early rounds is poor (sometimes awful), unless you're unlucky and get paired with somebody very good early on. Their duration means that when you sign up for a tournament, you can't really know whether you can complete it or not because they all last for more than three months. Don't get me wrong, they have potential, but I don't think they're the real deal in terms of RBY competition at the moment.
    Last but not least, I see Pokemon Perfect as an independent community that has something to offer to the players and not just as a Smogon Jr., as GGFan would say. In that sense, I'm against the idea that we should abandon it for Smogon just because they finally decided to show some respect to the old generations' community. However, it is true that Pokemon Perfect seems to be in decline at the moment. I believe that we have to accept that this community will never be as big as Smogon's and instead only focus on maintaining our identity as the best RBY community on the internet.

Edit: I would like to issue the following question to Lutra : What made you prioritize RoA over Pokemon Perfect and which is your vision going forward ?

3. Lutra

Lutra Site Founder Owner

Christos

I think I originally was just excited about the bigger numbers in the tournaments, then I got really involved in the room stuff, which is fairly easy and rewarding, and is a big source of newer old gen players. I've always wanted the old gens to be no less relevant than the current gen. I don't really much of a vision besides adding new features, such as new tournaments, and trying to repeat things year on year, slowly offering more by improved efficiency. The frustrating part is you can only do something for so long before wanting to do something different, and things don't improve quick enough, and that's maybe a reason I shifted from PP to RoA. I feel I'm getting fed up of RoA too, now.

4. Ika Ika Musume

Ika Ika Musume Member

As a new player who originally came from showdown, I prefer pokemon perfect to smogon honestly.

I've been trying to get stuff going for a different tier that I main and to be honest it is close to impossible, partially because of the way the vision of smogon is but also because of the people who are currently incharge of the individual tier are unyielding in their personal vision. I think there is a certain attitude, almost an arrogance when it comes to smogon that kind of just puts me off a bit. I'll play the tours because I am happy to get any tour experience I can but I prefer the more chilled out atmosphere here.

I feel I've gotten more encouragement and help in a few months of not even seriously being involved with pokemon perfect than I have in over a year in heavily being involved in smogon. I've taken my time there far more seriously too and I feel like I've been pushed back every step of the way and made less friends and essentially had to pull myself up skill wise by myself despite putting a huge amount of work in for the community, more than nearly anyone else in my tier over a period of 6 months for nothing in terms of like even friends (I don't even want recognition, but even to be able to build and play with others would be nice). Just how insular smogon and the surrounding communities are at times (though some individual communities are worse than others), honestly I hate it.

Smogon is not the future, if anything showdown is the soul of mons.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    Disaster Area and Christos like this.
  5. Ortheore

Ortheore Host Emeritus

So I really don't like the idea of totally migrating to smogon. Even as someone who doesn't take part in chats on Discord, I still get a very different vibe with PP, however it's hard to put my finger on exactly why. I get the sense that smogon feels I guess rigid, and that you're just another random internet person. Here I don't get that sense, although my perspective is likely a bit warped due to being a leader, especially when it comes to things being rigid, as I can certainly recall that criticism being leveled against me and DA in the past, so maybe that's not the best point. I do however, stand by the point that you don't feel as much like a generic internet person here. That said, that characteristic might be inversely related to the size of the forums so idk that's worth noting. Additionally, I'd like to point out that our overall standard of players here is great. Sounds ultra-elitist but I think it's true. That also means that when we discuss things, I think it's a genuine discussion and we usually have a lot of respect for each others' opinions. Posting on smogon feels like taking turns to shout your opinion.

Basically I don't think smogon feels like a community, whereas PP does, at least it does when there's discussion going on, which is something I miss out on a lot as I don't use Discord.

I guess this is all about the discussions that go on here, rather than the tournaments themselves, but really the tournaments are the lifeblood of PP, so a switch over to smogon for them would probably be fatal for this community, and there simply wouldn't be a substitute. Tbh I'd probably quit competitive pokemon altogether. Also, as mentioned by Christos and as I touched on with my elitist comment earlier, I simply think our tournaments make for a far more competitive experience, whereas smogon tournaments are total mixed bag

I'm honestly unsure what can best be done to further develop the site. As Chrysalis mentioned in their post, I think we do need to trim some of the excess in terms of what we offer, but I don't know what there is to be done to refine our core tournaments. I've been more than happy to do stuff on site, but when it comes to reaching out to other people that might be interested in this site to help bring new people in, well, that's always been something of a blind spot for me.

Chrysalis, Disaster Area and Christos like this.