1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

Community The current state of GSC MTs

Discussion in 'GSC OU Seasons' started by FriendOfMrGolem120, Jul 29, 2019.

1. FriendOfMrGolem120

FriendOfMrGolem120 aka. "FOMG" Moderator

Hello,
    over the course of the last Master Tournaments, they got less and less participants. Sometimes I asked friends if they want to join but I stopped doing that as player inactivity also became a huge issue and I didn't want needing to convince people to take part.
    I would like to discuss in this thread if you think individual GSC OU tournaments have a future on pokemon perfect and if so, what needs to be done about them. Should the format be changed (round robin, swiss format, live tours or just casual playing evenings - possibly with experienced players offering their help to newcomers without committing to tutor them for several weeks)? Should they be hosted with longer breaks and not as regularly to make them more special? Should we host variations of OU like "OU No Snorlax", "OU but only with 3 OUs per team" or anything like that? Or even lower tiers like Ubers, UU, NU etc.? Possibly a mix of them (bo3/5 with different tiers)?
    Please let me know if there is a reason why you lost interested in joining GSC MTs and if you would consider joining again after any of the proposed changes.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  2. Lojh

Lojh Above Average GSCer Member

I think we should discontinue them until further notice. It’s just that gsc has a small playerbase and so does PP. we should take a break from gsc tours.

3. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Catto of Furr and Power Member

it takes a lot to maintain activity in the season. I have some thoughts, which are largely things that are longly-held yet hardly acted upon ideas in my head, mostly because I have never been invested in or interested in the tier.

Of course, I have a ton of experience hosting seasons and so on, and I have to say that being actively persistent, especially earlier on with players, is really important to help keep them coming back. Invite everyone you can to the forum, check that they're scheduling, always make sure people know their matchups, and so on. It is a ton of work but with it you can make it a habit for some players and then you don't have to work so hard with a bunch of your playerbase. You need regulars to make the tournaments larger and the community more invested, and you need newcomers to keep things interesting for the regulars.

Another thing is a gripe I've had with the GSC community since forever, is that noone's tried since borat wrote his guide umpteen and a half years ago to write up-to-date and pertinent analyses of the game. If you want newcomers to come and join you, do your best to make it as easy for them as possible - give them mountains of things they can read and explore, give them the tournaments and remind them to play so that they develop experience, and through those sorts of things you develop an active community. Actively tutoring people is another thing that can help.

My main point really is you have to want and work really hard for the seasons to succeed and also for the site around it - the analyses, the chats that form on discord and in RoA, and so on - to succeed and grow. This is not something with an easy solution.

Making this thread is also good in that you get to hear out people's thoughts. I would advise linking this to every GSCer you know and getting their thoughts on it and also finding out what they want out of Pokemon Perfect or what they feel they're missing as a GSCer in the community.

4. Oibaf

Oibaf Member

In my opinion introducing metas such as "no snorlax" or "nu" won't help at all... I personally wouldn't join something different to the classic gsc. It's also known since several years that gsc is the less popular tier, so it's normal that finding people that join actively to the MS is hard. Although the guide idea is cool and might be the most efficient one, if you are starting that project I can help (even if there are several players better than me).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    Lojh and FriendOfMrGolem120 like this.