1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. Also, let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

RBY 2U (Under1U) RBY 2U Viability Rankings

Discussion in 'Tiers' started by Ortheore, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Ortheore

Ortheore Senior Moderator

Welcome to the RBY 2U Viability Ranking Thread! In case you're not familiar with the concept, we place Pokémon in certain ranks here, based on their impact on the tier as well as their general viability in the tier. This can be an excellent help while teambuilding and it serves as a general outline of the tier.

If you feel that a Pokémon is misplaced, feel free to make a post about it - that's what this thread is for. As long as you are reasonably sensible and courteous this thread should run smoothly.

Pokémon are sorted into the respective categories based on how well they perform their roles. Within each ranking Pokemon are listed alphabetically to avoid overcomplication.

---

Important note:

The decision to decide on what is considered a member of the tier (i.e. banned from all tiers below it) may involve the viability rankings (e.g. everything B and above 2U, everything D and below not 2U, everything C up for discussion).

Pokemon Perfect's Tiers

Broken Rank

These are Pokemon that are banned from the tier for being too good in some sense.

[​IMG] Articuno - Reasoning Ban inherited from RBY 2U-L17
    [​IMG] Moltres - Reasoning Ban inherited from RBY 2U-L17

S Rank

These are the top Pokemon of the tier, that you should put on most serious teams that you create. These Pokemon excel at their roles in the tier to such a point that they are dominating forces.

[​IMG]Dragonite
    [​IMG] Hypno - Analysis*

A Rank

These Pokemon are exceptional at their roles, performing significant roles in the metagame, however they are not dominating forces.

[​IMG] Electabuzz
    [​IMG] Haunter - Analysis*
    [​IMG] Kadabra - Analysis*
    [​IMG] Kangaskhan - Analysis*
    [​IMG] Tentacruel - Analysis*

B Rank

These Pokemon are strong choices in the metagame, but may suffer from inconsistency due to luck or matchup much moreso than the Pokemon in the Rank above. They have larger flaws or competition from other similar Pokemon which reduce their usefulness, but they're still considered metagame staples.

[​IMG] Dodrio - Analysis*
    [​IMG] Gyarados - Analysis*
    [​IMG]Omastar
    [​IMG] Persian - Analysis*
    [​IMG] Raichu - Analysis*
    [​IMG] Victreebel - Analysis*

C Rank

These Pokemon are more infrequent sights in the metagame, particularly in top level matches, but are nevertheless very viable Pokemon. They suffer from larger flaws than the Pokemon in the above rank.

[​IMG] Poliwrath - Analysis*
    [​IMG] Raticate - Analysis*
    [​IMG] Clefable - Analysis*
    [​IMG] Golduck
    [​IMG] Sandslash
    [​IMG] Venusaur

D Rank

These Pokemon are very rare sights in top level matches, and suffer from more crippling flaws. They require a lot of support to be effective, and may have consistency issues.

[​IMG] Charizard
    [​IMG] Dugtrio
    [​IMG] Exeggcute
    [​IMG] Kingler
    [​IMG] Machamp
    [​IMG] Mr. Mime
    [​IMG] Pinsir
    [​IMG] Poliwhirl
    [​IMG] Rapidash
    [​IMG] Tangela
    [​IMG] Vaporeon

*These analyses are for RBY 2U-L17 and are therefore not to be taken as representative of the current tier. They remain listed because there may be some similarity in function between the different tiers

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Disaster Area likes this.
  2. Ortheore

Changes relative to the thread for 2U-L17:

Don A->1U. rip
    Dnite 1U->S. It's really really good. AgiWrap is a thing, but its immense BST ensures it is a multidimensional two-way threat, not the one-trick pony it is in 1U.
    Gyara A->B. Dnite is better than this for the most part. Also it benefitted from Don's presence, and Dnite is now forcing it to run Blizzard, which isn't ideal
    Omastar ???->B. Great Dragonite check, its lack of coverage is far from crippling in a tier where there aren't any other good water types besides Gyara, which is at least Blizz-neutral. Also EQ isn't common, which is cool
    Electabuzz D->B. Don is gone, Psychic is a good coverage option now.
    Haunter B->A. There were calls for it to be A in the L17 thread, and Don leaving and being replaced by Dnite is easily enough to tip it into that category

edit: I haven't considered D tier tbh, and I barely looked at C
    gonna go ahead and drop some theorymon: Dug and the Fires drop out of the rankings (we could do lower ranks if we really want to). Sandslash slides to D, as does Venusaur. In all those cases they get checked by Dnite while being unable to threaten it with reliable status or decent coverage (assuming Sleep has already been used, and that Rock Slide is not adequate coverage if you have base 100 atk or less). Also if Oma can jump to B (I think it can), can we also make a case for Kabutops? Maybe only D, since it's not as good as Oma, especially since it has a different role

edit2: I may be overreacting on the Fire types, since it's not as though Don was kind to them either- both Don and Dnite checked them, it's just Dnite is a LOT better than Don

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  3. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Fur and Power Global Moderator

tentacruel

4. GGFan

GGFan Member

I strongly disagree that Haunter is on the same level of Tentacruel, even with its ability to switch into Wrap with impunity. It still takes at least 25% from Blizzard/Fire Blast (I believe Fire Blast may have a niche specifically to burn incoming Haunters, thereby ruining their suicide missions), which is concerning if Dragonite has already used Agility. From there it can fire off another attack, shrug off the Thunderbolt, and then Wrap to something faster. Tentacruel, on the other hand, is the only high-ranked Pokemon in the tier who can OHKO Dragonite guaranteed besides Gyarados, except Gyara is slower than Dragonite and is terrifed of Thunderbolt. Tentacruel is not only more reliable at disposing of Dragonite than Haunter is, but is often way more devastating because it also has Wrap. The 2U World Championship is evidence of how dominant Tentacruel is, with or without Hyper Beam.

If Haunter is A, Tentacruel is S. I believe every serious 2U team should have Tentacruel in it. It either pulls wins out of nowhere or crushes the opposition with that sky-high Special.

5. EB0LA

EB0LA Member

Why is Raichu A, and Electabuzz B?
    Surf isn't needed much at all anymore, and Psychic is the better option. (Victreebell+Haunter) Not to mention Electabuzz out-speeds Tentacruel, Dodrio, & Charizard, while Raichu only speed-ties them. (Buzz speed-ties with Kadabra [Raichu is slower]). Raichu hits slightly more, but buzz carries slightly more bulk.
    Raichu is still pretty good but, with Rhydon gone to OU, Electabuzz becomes the top electric for this tier.

Raichu ↓ B ↓
    Electabuzz ↑ A ↑

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  6. Ortheore

I always forget Tentacruel lol. Anyway I've always felt Tenta's defensive limitations kept it in A tier, but GGFan I'm aware you've found a lot of success with it. I'm not opposed to Tenta in S, but I'd like to hear more from other people before making the change

edit: I'm aware Haunt's anti-Dnite utility is liable to be overrated, but it's nonetheless relevant as you say, and Don was also a factor working against Haunter. Anyway, I don't think burns are enough to justify using FB over Blizz when it's such a big factor in the Dnite matchup

The reason I didn't initially swap them is because I felt it's a pretty major change to make. I actually agree with you that Buzz is probably better, so I might go ahead and make the swap.

While we're on the topic, double electric is intriguing. It suffers far less from matchup issues than in 1U, but both pokemon are frail as hell, a fact somewhat mitigated by their excellent typing

7. CrapAtRBY

CrapAtRBY Member

Clefable felt better than C in the matches I've had so far, nice bulk and good against DNite with TWave and Blizzard. It does have 4MSS but on the flipside all of it options are threatening so you can keep your opponent guessing which can make switching in to it difficult if you haven't revealed all four moves.

It can spread para, has Sing in its back pocket. There's a lot less non-normal physical moves floating round and regarding the two that do (unless I'm brainfarting), Clefable 2HKOs Dodrio guaranteed with both T-Bolt and Blizzard and excluding crits Kanagaskhan needs 3 EQs before Hyper Beam is guaranteed (It's guaranteed with 2 literally only if both are max rolls) making Counter a really solid option imo.

8. CrapAtRBY

CrapAtRBY Member

Also that 2U/3U dividing line is wrong unless and until we rejig Electabuzz, OMastar and anything else that might fare better now

Disaster Area likes this.
  9. Ortheore

woops lol I'll fix that up

I'm strongly in favour of Clef moving up to B. iirc not everyone agreed on Clef's merits though. I remember someone saying that Clef is a low risk low reward pick, which it can be if you're just slapping it on a team (me most of the time I use it), but it certainly has the tools to be really threatening