1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

Community Officially Resigning as Leader

Discussion in 'News' started by Ortheore, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Ortheore

Ortheore Host Emeritus

Hi all, as many of you know, my activity has been greatly reduced as of late in what I characterise as a "step back" from leadership and competitive play. Furthermore, the impression I get is that much of our community discussion takes place on Discord, at least, that was the trend when I actually used Discord. I've since abandoned Discord entirely, as I just generally dislike live chat apps and much prefer forum posting, however I think this shift is running against the grain (that said, it's not like I know for certain because I don't use Discord). Consequently, I feel I'm increasingly separated from the community as a whole.

I wasn't sure if this would be temporary or not, but the more I think on it, the more I realise that it's best that I not resume that responsibility. I've said recently that rather than focus on any "projects" such as tiering, we must first focus on simply generating discussion. Even there I find the prospect of leading such discussion on a consistent basis to be unpalatable, and talking about pokemon is something I love doing. In that specific example, it just wears you down to be trying to generate discussion only for a large portion of your posts to go nowhere, making something you ostensibly do for fun to feel like tiresome work. I just don't think I'd be able to stomach that, to consistently put that effort in, to essentially work, when I just want to chill out and do stuff I enjoy on whatever schedule I feel like. There's plenty of other work to be done irl, not to mention that I've made clear in the past my mental health issues, which definitely factor into things. To lock myself in to those responsibilities is just not something that's sustainable, and if I don't fill my part, that will be reflected in the experiences of others.

Consequently, I will resign as leader.

So where will I go from here? Well, I don't actually plan on going anywhere any time soon, I just don't want the responsibility of being a leader. I'm still more than happy to contribute to discussion, and if there's any decision-making processes that occur on the forums, I'll definitely want to share my thoughts. I still want to see these forums grow and succeed. I just don't think I can be counted on to act in a consistent leadership role, to try and drive things forward even if they're an uphill battle.

As for my involvement with competitive pokemon as a whole, I'm planning on experimenting with a youtube channel that analyses elite level matches- it's inspired by Agadmator's chess channel. Will it work? I have no idea, but I want to try. In conjunction with that, I'm strongly considering returning to competitive play, since the youtube channel will serve as a nice motivation for me to take this seriously, and also ensure that my knowledge and opinions remain current and that I actually retain some skill. It'll also be good to learn new tiers, especially since many of the ones I'd like to expand to are only really touched on in tournament play (i.e. past gen ubers, most of which I'd like to cover since I'm still committed to the idea that they should be the starting point for all tiers).

The only other alternative to the youtube channel is to abandon competitive pokemon altogether. At this point, my involvement with competitive pokemon is done not because it's fun, but more because I find it rewarding, I guess? I just can't play pokemon purely for fun anymore, both because I don't really enjoy it in that way and because most of the time when I play games I'm trying to chill out, rather than engage in something that demands significant mental exertion. In that sense, competitive pokemon in and of itself just doesn't really have a place in my life anymore. I really don't want to leave pokemon altogether though, as I've invested a lot into it and I don't want to abandon that (even though this is something everyone has to deal with eventually). That's why I want to start this youtube channel, since I think treating pokemon as my own project, rather than just another game, is key to me actually engaging with it. However it's entirely possible that it doesn't work out. And if it doesn't work out, I guess I'll have to leave entirely.

Anyway, for those who read the whole thing, thanks for reading, everything about this post means a lot to me and I'm glad you took the time to read it.

Also I'll chip in some additional thoughts about where I think the site should go- I already made a thread but I've got more to add I guess

CZ., Ransei, Chrysalis and 12 others like this.
  2. Roostur

Roostur Member

The analytical skills and critical thinking skills and any other skills you developed in pokemon can be applied to many different things. Don't think "if I give up pokemon then I'm giving up all that time I put into it", that simply isn't true. Don't feel obligated to give this game any of your time if you don't want to. There should be only one deciding factor in whether you play this game or not and that is if you want to. That it is something that genuinely interests you. If it doesn't then don't play it. It can be holding you back from finding other things you might enjoy infinitely more in your life.

Lojh and dnite like this.
  3. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Catto of Furr and Power Member

come and play violet its fun

DarkCyborg likes this.