1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

GSC OU (OverUsed) Misdreavus [Discussion Ready]

Discussion in 'Individual Analyses' started by Lojh, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Lojh

Lojh I worship BORAT Member

Misdreavus [​IMG]
    Type: Ghost
    Stats: 60 | 60 | 60 | 85 | 85 | 85

Introduction

Misdreavus is seen in GSC for two reasons. Misdreavus is seen in GSC for two reasons: its typing and movepool. In GSC, due to the battles generally being quite long, even though only a single layer of Spikes can be set, and the distribution of the move is poor, it is important for many teams to keep Spikes on the field, and this is where Misdreavus comes into play. Misdreavus, with it’s unique typing and movepool, it can virtually ensure spikes are down on the field with its unique ability to be regularly damaged by starmie while blocking rapid spin. Misdreavus can also suprise the foe with a perish trapper set, but due to the amount of phazers in GSC it is a niche option.

Sets

Spinblocker

Misdreavus @ Leftovers / Miracle Berry / No Item
    - Thief / Toxic / Hypnosis
    - Toxic / Hypnosis / Psychic / Confuse Ray
    - Rest / Pain Split
    - Thunder / Thunderbolt

Set Details

This set has been developed more recently in the GSC meta as a way to ensure Spikes are down on the field while also eating Explosions and Monolax attacks. Misdreavus with it’s coveted Ghost typing is able to wall Mono-attacking Snorlax to hell and back, But any Snorlax with Earthquake is able to scare it off.

If using Thief, make sure you are running no item or Miracle Berry in tandem with Rest. If you use Miracle Berry however, the surprise factor of Thief is negated. Misdreavus is one of the best users of Thief because it lures in both Skarmory and Raikou, which switch in in order to phaze its Perish Trapper set and Theifing these Pokemon makes it easier for Snorlax or the team's Electric type to break Skarmory or Raikou respectively. The remaining moveslots can be used for the status move of choice. Toxic is used to shorten the lives of Starmie or Cloyster trying to keep spikes off the field. Hypnosis can be used to prevent a devastating Tyranitar Pursuit trap, but when doing this one must be wary of Sleep Clause. Psychic is a niche option and can suprise Machamp and Nidoking, but it should be used with Leftovers. Confuse Ray can be used here over Thief in tandem with Toxic to give yourself a fighting chance against Tyranitar if you dont want to run Hypnosis. Rest should always be used with Thief as it provides the added bulk necessary to survive a Pursuit Trapping Umbreon. Rest with Thief is preferred on Stall teams, which appreciate survivability in a Spinblocker. Rest also clears off pesky status effects which could otherwise be crippling. Thunder and Thunderbolt are used on the set to damage Starmie and Cloyster to scare them out. Thunder is usually preferred as it KOes Cloyster after a little bit of chip damage and 2HKOes Starmie, but Thunderbolt can never miss and has higher PP.

Perish trapper

Misdreavus @ Leftovers
    - Mean Look
    - Protect
    - Perish Song
    - Thunder / Confuse Ray / Attract

Set Details

This Misdreavus set is what used to be the standard Misdreavus set for a while. Mean Look + Perish Song defines the set, and Protect guarantees a free turn which is used to waste turns on the Perish Song's timer. The goal of the set is to remove walls to certain Pokémon on your team to help a teammate sweep.

The next move can be a plethora of things. Thunder is the old norm and is used to damage two of the most common phazers, Suicune and Skarmory. Thunder also has an amazing 30% paralysis chance (21% after you factor in accuracy) which can help remove an offensive threats or a phazer. Thunder also enables Misdreavus to do damage and spread Paralysis. Confuse Ray is more commonly seen today and has an advantage over the 25% para chance of paralysis with it's superior 50% chance of negating the opponent's move and also can provide enough luck to remove an important pokemon and then make your opponent rage in the chat. Although it does not deter Skarmory or Suicune, it gives it a fighting chance against Raikou and Steelix. Attract is useful if you reduce the attack DV to 1, such that the pokemon becomes female. Most pokemon because of the gsc DV system are male, and Attract can be the haxxy answer to a threat or a wall you just cant deal with. Attract gives you a slightly higher chance of Pulling off a Perish Trap as it is permanent until the Opponent switches out. Attract, however, does not work against fellow females, genderless Pokemon, or clueless boys.

Other Options

Misdreavus can be utilized as a fast Destiny Bond user, but is outclassed by gengar at this role. It’s main selling point over Gengar is (bulk?) the suprise factor, in which no one expects a Misdreavus to be running DBond over it’s more utilized sets. Perish Song without a Mean Look can be used as a way to wreck Baton Pass chains and also to Phaze setup users. Pain Split can be utilized on the Mean Look set as a way to recover health in case you want more attempts to PerishTrap opposing Pokémon.

Checks and Counters

For a spinblocker, Misdreavus is easily worn down by spikes. This is important, because as a Spinblocker Misdreavus will be constantly switching in and out and taking chip damage such as Cloyster or Starmie's Surf. When playing around Misdreavus, it is essential that you assume it is the PerishTrap variant first because a small wrong assumation can leave you at a severe disadvantage in the beginning of the game. If Rest is not used, Status can be particularly crippling. Toxic hinders its longevity and Paralysis cripples it. Misdreavus appreciates Rapid Spin support, and forms a formidable core with Forretress and Cloyster, who are able to set up Spikes and spin away Spikes while Misdreavus ensures Spikes are up. One way to neutralise misdreavus is Raikou. Raikou is immune to Attract, takes minimal damage from Thunder and Thunderbolt, shrugs off Toxic, and 2HKOes Misdreavus with Thunder, but with Thunderbolt this turns into a measly 3HKO. Any Snorlax with Earthquake is able to hit Misdreavus hard on the switch and wall everything Misdreavus throws at it. Snorlax is also vulnerable to Perish Trap. Unfortunately however, letting Snorlax get Thieved by Misdreavus frees up the Misdreavus player's Raikou or Zapdos extremely well because with spikes and clever double switches, they can break Snorlax with their powerful Thunders. Steelix is also a hard counter to both sets, but fears Thief as it usually does not run recovery. Pursuit users by far are the best Misdreavus counters, and if Misdreavus forgoes Hypnosis can remove it from the game immediately. They are not vulnerable to Perish Trap either because their damage outputs (excluding Umbreon) are too high and if really necessary, can remove Misdreavus on the turn it switches out with Pursuit. Keep in mind, that this also faints your pursuiter. Houndoom, Tyranitar, and to an extent Umbreon are all good examples of this. Umbreon's problem as a Misdreavus counter is that its damage output is too meager to threaten Misdreavus. Most ground types can come in on Misdreavus and force it out or Roar it out, but all fear Thief or Toxic. Phazers are decent counters to the Perish Trap variant.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    Sceptross likes this.
  2. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Fur and Power Member

This is an aesthetic thing and I've edited in the correct stuff but always have a linebreak between a title and a paragraph

3. Lojh

Ok, my next analysis will have those
    Thanks!!!!!

Disaster Area likes this.
  4. Disaster Area

I've made a bunch of comments, largely regarding grammar and prose but also some technical stuff. It's to be expected especially in your first analysis that there are a lot of these comments to be made, so I hope it doesn't discourage you from writing more in the future! It's perfectly fine for a first attempt at an analysis :)

It would look better to write
    Misdreavus is seen in GSC for two reasons: its typing and movepool.
    (also, you used both its and it's. "its" is the right form here. In general, it's is short for it is, so only use it's when it is would also be appropriate to write there).

In addition, you really ought to comment on why you would use it over the faster, stronger Gengar in the introduction. It would probably be best to do that during or after this sentence.

Maybe rewrite this into

In GSC, due to the battles generally being quite long, even though only a single layer of Spikes can be set, and the distribution of the move is poor, it is important for many teams to keep Spikes on the field.

Either remove the and, or turn the full stop at the end of the previous sentence into a comma. Sentences shouldn't usually begin with a connective.

Misdreavus, due to its unique and movepool, can virtually ensure spikes remain on the field, as it can reliably damage Starmie, as well as withstand its attacks, making it an excellent spinblocker.

Beyond spinblocking, Misdreavus can also suprise the foe with a perish trapper set, but, due to the numerous common phazers in GSC, it is a niche option.

Regarding the move order, you probably want the most important options first, so I imagine it would make more sense to have Thunder / Thunderbolt first (you need to be able to hurt Starmie), then the recovery options.

I think, given how you remark that Psychic is niche, it might be better to rename the set Thief (though given that there are maybe some niche options you can run without thief, maybe not) and slash it as follows:
    - Thief
    - Thunder / Thunderbolt
    - Rest
    - Toxic / Hypnosis

and then remove Leftovers from the item list. Then mention in the set comments that Psychic should be run with Leftovers, as well as double status (if that's a viable option), as well as Toxic + Confuse Ray.

Since you suggest Thief should always be used with Rest, then Pain Split should be removed from the slashes as well.
    bolded changes in the next section, comments in underline:

5. Lojh

My english writing skills are very broken and a lot of phrasing and stuff is hard because, after all, I’m only 13. If someon would help implement changes that would be greaf

6. Disaster Area

Yeah, I know ^^ just copy the changes where I made them and deal w the stuff in italics

maybe Sceptross can help u out tho :)

7. Lojh

ive made a few edits, but if someone who had a lot of time and persistence was able to implement the changes DA suggested it would be nice. im like 14 so I have the attention span of a goldfish.

Nvm I finished the edits. im moving this to discussion ready because I want to know if I am missing anything.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  8. Troller

Troller From Marcoasd's DNA Member

(ctrl+f rRst correct to Rest)

9. Lojh

shoot. fixed