1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

RBY Lowered Sp.Def glitch on PS (Suggested Spread button glitch)

Discussion in 'Analysis and Research' started by FriendOfMrGolem120, Nov 22, 2017.

1. FriendOfMrGolem120

FriendOfMrGolem120 aka. "FOMG" Member

Many people already know about this bug but I still often see this occuring on some gen1ou ladder games I am spectating. It is easier to once make a post about it and then link it in case it is needed than to explain it every time again.

Pokemon Showdown imports sp.attack and sp.defense evs (actually stat experience but I will refer to them as evs) seperately even though they are intended to be one stat. Because they are meant to be one stat, clicking on the "Suggested Spread" button only gives you evs for sp.attack.

Here you can see a regular Alakazam with max evs (the one that you should be using):
    Alakazam
    Ability: Synchronize
    - Psychic
    - Body Slam

Alakazam
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
    - Psychic
    - Body Slam

Here is an Alakazam that has the "suggested spread" (that has lowered sp.defense and is therefore the one that you should not be using):
    Alakazam
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Bashful Nature
    - Psychic
    - Body Slam

You can see the difference.

Now let me share two replays in which I tested this with Sceptross.
    In this one Sceptross is using an Alakazam like the last one.
    In this replay we tried out if you can import a pokemon with max sp.defense but with lowered sp.attack.
    It worked
    To make it short: Never click on the "Suggested Spread" button for RBY Teams (the EVs are naturally maxed in the Pokemon Showdown Teambuilder for RBY so it is also not neccessary to change them)

If you already have a team with lowered sp.defense here is what you should do:
    1. Click on Import/Export
    2. Delete the lines with the evs completely (having an empy line would import your pokemon without moves) - your pokemon should look like the first Alakazam now when importing them (note that importing a nature doesn't seem to have any actual impact)
    3. Click save

Alternatively you could just build your team again without clicking on the "Suggested Spread" button.

Additional note: It can be useful to deliberately lower your attack stat if you only use special moves. By doing so you would take less damage when hitting yourself in confusion but the move Struggle would be weaker, should it come to that.
    The actual Alakazam I use looks like this:
    Alakazam
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
    IVs: 2 Atk
    - Psychic
    - Seismic Toss
    - Thunder Wave
    - Recover

*Maya reminded me that Chuuster told her and me about that glitch and I should give him credits for that.

(In case you find any spelling/grammar mistakes feel free to tell me about them so that I can edit this post - or if anything is unclear or could be formulated in a better way. I want to link this post in the future in case I'd need to explain that glitch and want that it is as easy to understand as possible.)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Ortheore likes this.
  2. Ortheore

Ortheore Leader

PO never had this problem, bring back PO!

Seriously though, if you could steal PO's teambuilder (possible since it's open source) and integrate it with PS somehow (no fucking clue) that would be the dream. Also the suggested EV spread is a strange feature to have that's not all that helpful imo

edit: maybe in the bit with the big text mention how clicking that button is totally unnecessary anyway (iirc)

3. FriendOfMrGolem120

I haven't played on pokemon online so I can't compare it with Showdown. The suggested EV spread feature would be helpful for beginners if it worked actually remotely decently. When you use it for a quite standard Dugtrio in ADV (with only physical attacks) it gives you 252 EVs in attack and speed each and puts the remaining 4 into SpA which clearly shows that the system has some flaws since it just completely wastes 4 EVs.
    Edit: I added "(the EVs are naturally maxed in the Pokemon Showdown Teambuilder for RBY so it is also not neccessary to change them)"

4. Linkin Karp

Linkin Karp machine, machine Season Host

I already made a thread on this half a year ago. Maybe it's just in the wrong section?

FriendOfMrGolem120 likes this.
  5. FriendOfMrGolem120

I have to admit, I didn't take much time for looking if a thread like this already exists but now I have found it. I think I like your post and your formatting better than mine and don't know if this thread is needed anymore so moderators can feel free to remove it if they like.