1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. Also, let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY OU Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

Pokémon For you competitive history sorts

Discussion in 'Chat' started by asbdsp, Jun 15, 2017.

1. asbdsp

asbdsp Member

What is the most historically impressive winrate that an individual player has attained in any given format/meta? Why do you find it to be impressive?

I haven't really heard many stories about particularly dominant players, even lurking around the competitive community as long as I have, so I figured maybe it could stir up some memories/conversation.

2. The Idiot Ninja

The Idiot Ninja "The 15th RBY italian talent" Member

3. Peasounay

Peasounay qui peut me stopper Moderator

I'll stick to RBY on PP but on the top of my head in terms of achievement you have Alexander winning 4 Master Tournaments in a row at a time where he was p new to the tier, the number of points Beds managed to get in season 10, and marcoasd winning 4 seasons in a row. You could probably find more by digging more, the link Ninja posted is a good start as well.

To me the most impressive thing will always be how much marco won over the years, I don't think anybody could do as much anymore

Disaster Area likes this.
  4. Lutra

Lutra Site Founder Administrator

Smogon-wise:

Peasounay going 22-4 in RBY OU between SPL and RBY OU Global Championship was pretty impressive too :)

Tiba also got a high SPL RBY win streak a couple of times and won RBY OU World Championship on Smogon.

IFM has one of the best team tour records (GSC mostly)

]V[ajin Tupacz got the best ever multi-SPL record in ADV.

ABR, reyscarface, Tesung, VIL (a while ago) have had amazing win streaks on occasions and many more that I just haven't kept on the top of my head recently: Earthworm, McMeghan etc.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  5. asbdsp

asbdsp Member

That was a great read. Thank you The Idiot Ninja. :) If nothing else, it shows how amazing of a community RBY has that it could supports such tournaments year after year.

Still I think I in my head the question was both a bit more general (in terms of including more formats than RBY) and also more specific than the thread could answer. Really, its about the level of dominance that a top player can achieve at the absolute peak. Obviously I know people here will be biased for RBY, and for good reason but my own purpose is to compare between the gens. I just want to know in such a period with both an adequate sample of games and reasonable numbers of elite competition, what maximal winrate of individual matches could/had been achieved. So for example something along the lines of "marco won 75% of 40 games in a period from x to y among 32 competitors, this is an impressive winrate that will never be topped, etc along those lines". That kind of thing could be compared to streaks in other gens as well. Sorry if I'm not making sense, and I guess I should also probably do some more digging, lol.

Edit: Something like what Lutra mentioned about Peasouny going 22-4 is exactly what I envisioned, lol. By the way, how large of a pool was that which he was playing against? Because that's one hell of a record for pokemon in any format. :eek:

6. Lutra

Lutra Site Founder Administrator

SPL is the premier team tour with 10 RBY slots, RBY OU GC was an elimination tournament starting at 192.

asbdsp likes this.
  7. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Fur and Power Global Moderator

It's harder to get data on other formats because Smogon doesn't do the same level of centralised record-keeping as we do. That's why it's easy for us to bring you this information on RBY on PP but not much else. Over the next few years I'm sure our GSC, ADV, and HGSS records will continue to improve however.

8. asbdsp

asbdsp Member

Ah, that makes sense then. Any of you old hands care to make some wild speculations then as to which is the "most skilled" of the formats by the winrate ceiling sort of criteria I've mentioned?

9. GGFan

GGFan Member

I have an overall 18-5 record in Smogon and SmogonJr tournaments (three RBY and one GSC tournament). These four tournaments include the 2015 RBY OU Global Championship, which I won, and the 2016 SmogonJr Supreme RBY OU Championship, which I also won. 78% win percentage is very good, though I haven't played in enough tournaments on these forums to consider them on the same level as my other records.

Jira is a 21-time champion on Pokefans, winning tournaments in multiple gens along the way. I don't know how many he won on Pokemonexperte and Bisaboards (other forums in the German circuit), but I'd bet he's an overall 25-time champion or so, making him by far the most decorated German player in history.

I won about 18 tournaments on GameFAQs, finishing with an overall record of about 69-12 (about an 85% win percentage).

I played in 10 RBY tournaments on Pokemonexperte and Pokefans and managed to win 7. Of the three that I lost, I finished in 3rd place in two of them.

I won four RBY tournaments on Pokemonexperte including the 2007 Meisterschaft (tournament of champions in which all main gens are played), finishing with an overall record of around 40-5 or so (about an 89% win percentage). I also played in an RBY + ADV tournament in which I got knocked out in the first round, but I'm not including it because it wasn't a pure RBY competition. I'm also the only player in the history of the Meisterschaft to go undefeated in RBY, finishing with a stellar 7-0 record.

I won three RBY tournaments on Pokefans, finishing with an overall record of 71-23 or so (about a 77% win perctange). What makes this one more remarkable than my run on Pokemonexperte, however, is that this record took place over the course of six years, whereas I only played on Pokemonexperte for about 16 months.

I competed in about 30 tournaments on THE Alternative, winning 17 of them and finishing with an overall record of about 106-26 (about an 80% win percentage). Significant tournament victories include TOS6 (the biggest RBY tournament of 2007) and the 2007 and 2008 RBY Leagues (season-type tournaments where the players with the best records advanced into playoffs).

These are the main records that come to my mind.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    asbdsp likes this.
  10. asbdsp

asbdsp Member

Thank you for sharing your experience and records in playing pokemon. I guess I was looking for some evidence that among a group of players who are devoting time and effort to the game, that it would be possible for some, through greater efforts and "talents" in the game to separate themselves from others, as opposed to a scenario where players records all trend towards the mean of 50%.

It seems at least in RBY, that this is the case, and that is nice. I suppose that there will be similar findings in the other formats. :)