1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. Also, let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

ADV 1U-L (Universal) Flygon [GP Ready]

Discussion in 'Individual Analyses' started by Cowboy Dan, May 13, 2016.

1. Cowboy Dan

Cowboy Dan Host Emeritus

Flygon [​IMG]
    Type: Ground / Dragon
    Stats: 80 | 100 | 80 | 80 | 80 | 100
    Abilities: Levitate

Introduction

On the surface, Flygon looks fairly underwhelming, its move pool isn't great, and while it has good stats all around, none of them particularly stand out. What it lacks in stats though it more than makes up for in typing. Ground Dragon is an amazing defensive typing that when combined with its ability levitate makes it resistant to the ever popular Rock Slide plus Earthquake coverage, and immune to both sand and Spikes. It also gives it STAB on one of the best physical attacks in the game in Earthquake. These traits combine to make Flygon an excellent offensive pivot that is nearly impossible to wear down, and capable of countering threats such as Tyranitar and Hidden Power Grass Electrics, while checking many others. Flygon is not without its flaws however. It is quite underwhelming offensively without a Choice Band, and the Banded sets rely heavily on Earthquake to do damage meaning they are quite prediction reliant. Despite these flaws however, Flygon's unique defensive traits make it a strong consideration on a number of teams.

Sets

Choice Band

Flygon @ Choice Band
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide
    -Hidden Power Bug / Fire Blast / Hidden Power Flying
    -Toxic / Fire Blast

Set Details

Flygon's Choice Band set makes for a great offensive pivot for teams that need a check to Pokemon such as Dragon Dance Tyranitar, Hidden Power Grass Electrics, Offensive Celebi and Jirachi among others. Earthquake is Flygon's most powerful move and hits anything that doesn't resist it incredibly hard. Rock Slide provides great coverage with Earthquake, hitting Flying types like Salamence, and levitators like Gengar. Hidden Power Bug is the main option in the third slot to do big damage to Celebi, OHKOing offensive variants. Fire Blast can also be used in this slot as a way to dent Skarmory who otherwise hard walls Flygon. Hidden Power Flying can be used instead if your team is weak to Heracross. In the last slot, Toxic is the best option as it cripples bulky waters as well as some other common switch ins like Salamence. Fire Blast can also be used in this slot.

The EV Spread is quite simple, Max Speed with a Jolly Nature allows Flygon to at least speed tie all Base 100s. This is incredibly useful for a number of the Pokemon Flygon is meant to check such as Jirachi, +1 Dragon Dance Tyranitar, Zapdos, and Offensive Celebi. Note that if Celebi is running Hidden Power Fire, Flygon will always out speed. Max Attack is used to give Flygon as much power as possible. If running Fire Blast, a Special Defense lowering nature can be considered to boost its power, however Flygon does appreciate the extra special bulk.

This set often finds itself on offensive Sand Based teams that need an extra check to Tyranitar and Offensive Calm Mind users. Flygon really appreciates Sand Stream as it cancels the leftovers of many of its counters, allowing it to more easily wear them down. This means Tyranitar is a great partner for Flygon. Pursuit Tyranitar in particular pairs well with it as it is able to remove Gengar, who can freely switch in on Flygon's Earthquakes. This being said, Flygon also does a great job of weakening some of Dragon Dance Tyranitar's counters. Flygon also appreciates Spikes support making Skarmory, Forretress and other Spikes users, and by extension Gengar, great partners. Finally, Flygon is often a free switch for opposing Skarmory so some way of dealing with opposing Spikes is usually necessary. This can be accomplished in the form of Magneton support, Rapid Spin, or having a predominantly Spikes immune team.

Bulky

Flygon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 180 HP / 188 Atk / 140 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide / Substitute
    -Fire Blast / Substitute
    -Toxic / Hidden Power Bug / Substitute

Set Details

This set is a more defensive take on Flygon. The goal of this set is mainly to act as an incredibly reliable answer to Dragon Dance Tyranitar and Hidden Power Grass Electrics. Earthquake is Flygon's most powerful attack and hits anything that doesn't resist it fairly hard. Rock Slide has good coverage alongside Earthquake and is Flygon's primary attack for hitting Gengar, Zapdos and Salamence. Fire Blast is used to hit Skarmory and Forretress and deter them from spiking in its face. In the last slot, Toxic is the best option. The combination of Earthquake, Fire Blast and Toxic is quite difficult to switch in to, and Flygon has some pretty good Toxic targets such as Swampert and Salamence. Hidden Power Bug can be used instead if Celebi is an issue. Finally Substitute can be used over any of the last three slots for blocking status and easing prediction. Flygon makes for a pretty effective user of the move as it is generally able to hit everything at least decently hard, or get them with a Toxic. Furthermore thanks to Flygon's immunity to both sand and Spikes it has an easy time recovering the health lost.

With this EV spread, Flygon is able to out speed adamant Heracross, and is never 2hkod by +1 Tyranitar's Hidden Power Bug. This makes it a very solid counter to it. The rest is thrown into Attack with an Adamant nature to give Flygon as much power as possible. As mentioned previously, a Special Defense lowering nature can be considered if using Fire Blast however Flygon does appreciate the extra Special Bulk.

This set works best on TSS teams as the extra damage from sand and Spikes helps Flygon's relatively weak damage output, and makes it more difficult for opposing teams to switch around to avoid getting poison on something crucial. This set is a great aid to physical sweepers that need bulky waters removed in order to sweep, as it is quite good at wearing them down with Toxic and STAB Earthquakes. This means Tyranitar, Metagross and Aerodactyl all make good partners. Despite having overlapping duties, Swampert is a good partner for Flygon as it covers Hidden Power Ice Electrics. Furthermore an extra answer to Dragon Dance Tyranitar isn't usually a bad idea. Finally as with the previous Flygon set, some measure of dealing with Skarmory is recommended as even with Fire Blast This set has a tendency to allow easy Spikes set up.

Other Options

Flygon has a number of other options available to it. A Toxic Protect set with heavy defense investment makes for a very reliable rock resist that is immune to spikes and hard counters Dragon Dance Tyranitar. Hidden Power Ghost is a nice coverage option for smacking Gengar, one of Flygon's main counters. Screech can be used to help shuffle Spikes. Giga Drain can be used to hit Swampert. You're generally better off just hitting it with Toxic however if using a special set with Dragon Claw, it is not a bad coverage option. Special sets of Flygon can be quite underwhelming once the surprise is revealed though.

Checks and Counters

Flygon has a number of fairly hard counters. Gengar can come in on Earthquake, Toxic and Hidden Power Bug, while also not taking too much damage from Fire Blast, and threaten it out with either Ice Punch or Will-O-Wisp. It does take a pretty hefty chunk from Choice Band Rock Slide however. Salamence is in a similar boat except it also doesn't like eating Toxic's. It does have Intimidate to lower the damage from Rock Slide however, and can use Flygon to set up Dragon Dances, or just hit it with a powerful Hidden Power Flying or Dragon Claw. Skarmory takes practically nothing from anything other than Fire Blast, and specially defensive variants even take that fairly well. It can then proceed to set up Spikes or hit Flygon with Toxic. Bulky Waters such as Swampert, Milotic and Suicune can take any attack Flygon throws at them fairly well and OHKO it with Ice Beam. They don't like taking Toxics however, and Earthquakes from Choice Band Flygon hit them quite hard. Porygon2 is probably the best counter as it can Trace Flygon's levitate to avoid Earthquake, and OHKO it with Ice Beam. It also doesn't like being hit with Toxic however. Celebi can come in on any Flygon lacking in Hidden Power Bug and take its attacks with ease. Anything with a resistance to Ground can be used to pivot around Flygon with prediction and prevent Choice Band variants from spamming Earthquake. Finally anything that isn't outright out sped and OHKO'd by Flygon, and has an Ice attack will make a fairly solid check.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Disaster Area likes this.
  2. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Fur and Power Leader

Maybe include BKC's bulky gon spread too?

3. Cowboy Dan

Cowboy Dan Host Emeritus

Added a mention of very bulky toxic protect sets into OO.

Disaster Area likes this.
  4. CALLOUS

CALLOUS YouTube.com/CALLOUSnarrates Member

The EVs stated for the bulky set, and their explanation, are incorrect. With the suggested spread you are NOT guaranteed to live +1 HP Bug from TTar. To do that, you need 347 HP assuming a base stat of 196 Defense.

Cowboy Dan likes this.
  5. Cowboy Dan

Cowboy Dan Host Emeritus

Thanks for pointing that out, made the changes, although upon re-calculating it I got that 346 HP was the necessary number.

6. CALLOUS

CALLOUS YouTube.com/CALLOUSnarrates Member

I also just recalculated it now and here is the correct answer.

Tyranitar with 403 Attack
    Flygon with 196 Defense

HP Bug, base power 70, TTar at +1

Damage range is 155-183

Assuming it does max damage both times, 183 x 2 = 366

If Flygon had 346 HP as you're suggesting, it gains 21 HP via Leftovers after the first attack.

346 + 21 = 367, which lives by 1HP, as the most damage TTar can do is 366.

346 HP is the correct answer.

Cowboy Dan likes this.
  7. Disaster Area

mention gust

8. autumn leaves

autumn leaves Member

please dont. hp flying if anything

9. Disaster Area

gust is for when you already have hp bug

it's super niche but it probs deserves bottom of OO, I've used it and it wasn't my idea originally (I think Cowboy Dan introduced me to it?)

10. autumn leaves

autumn leaves Member

so i guess this is for hp bug flygon + magneton/curse bomb lax/cbgross teams that end up weak to hera. hm. i guess. super bottom of the barrel though

11. Disaster Area

I also use it on a team I have with armaldo lol.

I agree it is very bottom of the barrel though, maybe it's best to put a mention of it at the bottom of OO saying that it's probably worthwhile changing the team in some way to be less weak to heracross, or something like that. I'm sure someone can say it better than I can.

12. Cowboy Dan

Cowboy Dan Host Emeritus

Yep, I think Kerts came up with the idea. If you have literally nothing for hera and you still want hp bug it's not a terrible option. Definitely not more than a side mention in oo though. I want to get around to revamping a bunch of these analyses over winter break so I'll throw it in then. More importantly though I think the protox set deserves its own section.

Disaster Area and Eden's Embrace like this.
  13. Disaster Area

Yea I'd probably split the bulky set into ProTox and SubTox, I don't really think other variants of a bulky set are really used these days