1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. Also, let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

HGSS DPP LC Viability Rankings

Discussion in 'Tiers' started by ThriceElite, Feb 26, 2018.

1. ThriceElite

ThriceElite Member

DPP LC Viability Rankings

Welcome to the DPP LC viability ranking project. In this project, we will "tier" every Pokemon based on usefulness. An initial tier list has already been made; if you think something should be moved up or down, post in this thread with your reasoning on why, and the change may be enacted. Feel free to ask if there is any placement which you don't understand.

credits Heysup for the initial rankings

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Tier List

Without further ado, here is the initial tier list with the rough definitions of each tier (note: Pokemon are ordered alphabetically).

S-Rank

Gligar
    +19 Speed fast, physically bulky, strong
    +Nice immunities to Ground and Electric, nice Fighting resist
    +Versatile; wide movepool, unpredictable
    -Hates Water and Ice attacks, types that also have priority (though some Gligar run Yache)
    -Dislikes Bronzor

Munchlax
    +Blanket check to a lot of mons in the tier
    +One of the few things that can switch into special attackers with relative safety
    +Hits relatively hard
    +Bulky
    +Can Pursuit Gastly and eliminate it
    -Slower than basically everything else in the tier

A-rank

A+ rank

Bronzor

Croagunk

Elekid

Gastly

Machop

Snover

Wynaut

A Rank

Chinchou

Dratini

Drifloon

Duskull

Glameow

Houndour

Kabuto

Mankey

Mantyke

Slowpoke

Stunky

Taillow

B-Rank

B+ Rank

Aipom

Aron

Bagon

Bellsprout

Carvanha

Chimchar

Diglett

Doduo

Exeggcute

Geodude

Horsea

Krabby

Magby

Meowth

Oddish

Omanyte

Phanpy

Ponyta

Porygon

Staryu

Totodile

Voltorb

Wailmer

B Rank

Abra

Anorith

Barboach

Bonsly

Buizel

Buneary

Cacnea

Clamperl

Cubone

Cyndaquil

Eevee

Ekans

Goldeen

Grimer

Hippopotas

Koffing

Larvitar

Lileep

Magnemite

Makuhita

Natu

Paras

Pineco

Poliwag

Rattata

Seel

Shroomish

Squirtle

Swinub

Teddiursa

Trapinch

Zigzagoon

C-rank

Baltoy

Bulbasaur

Charmander

Corphish

Cranidos

Drowzee

Gible

Growlithe

Lickitung

Numel

Onix

Nidoran M

Piplup

Psyduck

Remoraid

Riolu

Sandshrew

Shellos

Shieldon

Shuppet

Smoochum

Snorunt

Snubbull

Spheal

Spoink

Starly

Tentacool

Wingull

D Rank

everything else

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Posting this here because I plan on using this to make DPP LC 2U and beyond later. I'm considering either having B+ or B be the cutoff point, and we vote on the mons in the cutoff point to drop to DPP LC 2U.

tagging HSOWA and Eseque because they might be interested. Tell everyone who might be interested in making DPP LC 2U to come over here and contribute!

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    HSOWA likes this.
  2. HSOWA

HSOWA :> Season Host

cutoff should be B imo, there a lot of mons in B+ that seem way too good: Diglett, Porygon, Staryu and a lot of good weather abusers.

For this VR, Cranidos should defo be higher: it's a good scarfer that reaches 21 speed, hits incredibly hard with Head Smash, and can bop Bronzor and Gastly with EQ.

Meowth should be level with Glameow as they're pretty similar. it has Technician boosted Fake Out and Bite to make up for its lower attack and lack of Sucker Punch.

Venonat has Compoundeyes Sleep Powder and can BP Agility. Smoochum has two good STABs and good Sp. Atk, both are niche but I'd rather use them rather than stuff like Spoink or Nidoran M

3. Eseque

Eseque Host Emeritus

abra, hippo, buizel, and poli up to b+
    slowpoke down to b+
    stunky up to a+
    elekid down to a
    imo

4. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Fur and Power Leader

you need descriptions for the ranks

I recommend no extra lines between each Pokemon, bolding the ranks, and getting mini sprites from Pokemon Sprites | Pokestadium

5. ThriceElite

ThriceElite Member

Added Smoochum and Riolu to C, and I bolded the ranks. I'll update this later; be sure to tell every DPP LC player you know about PP's DPP LC project and these topics so we get more players!

6. ThriceElite

ThriceElite Member

For tiering DPP LC 2U, I vote B as the cutoff point. Also I tried getting the sprites from the site DA suggested but it just refused to work. Any alternatives?

Heysup made the initial rankings, I'll ask him about descriptions for the ranks.

Also unlike most other viability rankings, I elaborated on WHY said mon is ranked where it is by adding a short description in spoiler tags. I only did the S ranks for now, the rest will come later.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  7. ThriceElite

ThriceElite Member

Reposting this rant here because there's no DPP LC General Discussion topic (yet) and someone can just move this post over there if it's made later. This rant concerns how to make less popular tiers more popular.

March 20, 2018
    ThriceElite - Today at 10:17 AM
    Eseque if you want to make DPP LC more popular here are some tips (I'm telling you this now early in the morning because I can't sleep rn and I might as well do something):
    Market DPP LC and emphasize its advantages over the competition
    I can't tell you how many times I randomly see someone claiming that they hate stall and yet they still play fat lvl 100 tiers
    I mean if you showed DPP LC to them
    and flat out told them that there's no stall there and that it's good for 5-10 minute breaks in between work hours or something
    that would be a selling point
    second, tell them to stop being so spoiled regarding the whole "popularity bandwagon circlejerk" thing
    new gen players are so fucking spoiled regarding the ladder and tours
    they think that's the only way to get games
    literally
    LITERALLY
    ~100% of the games I got
    were by PMing a good DPP LC player and asking him if he wanted to play now(edited)
    i think i only asked for games in the chat like once or twice, max
    people are so fucking spoiled in regards to a tier's popularity
    and just bandwagon around the already popular tiers
    without considering if said tier is even a good fit for them
    stop overrelying on tour games and ladder games
    no one ever markets a tier and emphasizes a tier's advantages over another when they SHOULD
    people should just stop fucking bandwagoning and actually THINK
    if they hate stall then just explore alternatives ffs
    if they like offense and think the meta in another tier is too slow then just explore alternatives ffs
    hell
    I picked up DPP LC because it was very offensive and didn't have stall
    THAT was the selling point for me
    it can be the selling point for others as well
    so the next time you see anyone, ANYONE say that they hate stall, tell them about DPP LC and its advantages

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  8. ThriceElite

ThriceElite Member

I suggest Magnemite down to B

Yes, it traps and counters Bronzor, but you risk being annihilated by Earthquake on the switch.

Worse, it just feels so janky for some reason I can't quite explain. Is it that Magnemite's resistances seem better on paper than in practice? Is it because it's so slow? Is it because Scarf Magnemite's main STAB move is a free invitation for Gligar to wreck your shit and Diglett to trap you?

It's probably a combination of the above, tbh.

9. ThriceElite

ThriceElite Member

Magnemite got a 66.6% vote for B so I'm dropping it down a rank and into 2U.

Magnemite B+ --> B