1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

ADV OU (OverUsed) Cowboy Dan vs Disaster Area: A War Story from Two Sides

Discussion in 'Analysis and Research' started by Cowboy Dan, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Cowboy Dan

Cowboy Dan Moderator

Earlier today Disaster Area approached me with the idea of playing a game where we're each given unlimited time to make decisions and would be forced to write down our reasoning for every turn to be posted on the site. This is the result.

Before we start with the replay here's a little bit about the teams:

Disaster Area:
    Untitled PokePaste
    I chose this team because it's a fairly typical team of mine: a TSS with some Light Screen abuse and a SpDef Gengar. The team's gameplan is to set up Spikes, wallbreak with CBTar, and clean up with Gengar. Claydol keeps my side of the field hazard-free to let CBTar come in as much as possible, Blissey can paralyze major threats, making them less problematic for CBTar, and Milotic's Light Screen can help Skarm evade Mag and Gar evade Pursuit Tar. I feel like most holes are covered pretty well, but Heracross is quite deadly, particularly if it is assisted by Pursuit support, and Aerodactyl/DDTar can be challenging too as this team is a little less sturdy versus them than most.

Cowboy Dan:
    Untitled PokePaste
    This is a team I built a little bit before PPL when I was really enamored with Swords Dance Heracross. The basic idea is to use Heracross as an early game wall breaker and anti-stall measure and clean up with one of Agiligross or Tyranitar. Porygon2 can get rid of dugtrio trying to revenge hera or magneton in the early game making my late game threats much more dangerous. Magneton gets rid of Skarmory allowing me to run the more reliable brick break on heracross and not let it hamper an agiligross sweep or get free spikes on Celebi. It also provides a great sacrifice to feed dugtrio and revenge with Porygon2. Finally Celebi gives the team some glue, helping with Electrics, Offensive waters and Gengar while also adding an extra ground resist, which is quite important when using Tyranitar, Metagross and Magneton all on one team. I originally had HP Bug on the Tyranitar however I opted to change it to ice beam after a crushing defeat against a Flygon in the first week of PPL. I thought this would be a strong team against Disaster Area as his teams have a tendency to be weak to heracross. He also doesn’t use a ton of swampert making DD Ice Beam Tar a particularly dangerous threat.

The Game:

[Gen 3] OU replay: LittleJohnnyJewel vs. Disaster Area - Pokémon Showdown

Turn 1
    Disaster Area withdrew Milotic!
    Disaster Area sent out Gengar!
    Heracross used Swords Dance!
    Heracross's Attack rose sharply!

Disaster Area:

Milotic vs Heracross: Heracross is not a great matchup for this team, I am using a quite stallish team that relies on spdef gengar and sand/skarm to handle it. I'm pretty much forced to switch to Gengar turn 1: Milotic can withstand a little chip damage and heal up later, but Heracross will do too much for Milotic to be usable in the rest of the game. This could be a really bad matchup for me if the Heracross is paired with a pursuit user (most likely Tyranitar) as my options for it are so limited, and I start off on the back foot.

Cowboy Dan:

I lead Heracross, and Disaster Area leads Milotic. This is a good match up for me. The only thing I have to worry about is hypnosis which I doubt he’ll go for. I could go straight for the Megahorn here in order to at least do damage to the Milotic should he put me to sleep but I believe he is most likely to switch here making Swords Dance the best option that way if he goes to a Zapdos or a Skarm it puts me in a great position.

Turn 2

Heracross, come back!
    Go! Celebi!
    The opposing Gengar used Fire Punch!
    It's super effective! Celebi lost 27.8% of its health!
    Celebi was burned!
    Celebi restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
    Celebi was hurt by its burn!

Disaster Area:

He sword dances, which is really bad news for me. My best option is just to Fire Punch, I can't get fancy here as this thing could very well sweep me if I do. Depending on the move choices on this thing, Gengar could be OHKO'd here too. One option would perhaps be to go to Tyranitar, anticipating a Rock Slide or HP Ghost, which would let me see what item it carries too (Leftovers vs something else like Chesto/Lum), but then I would have to make another guess at what it will do as Tyranitar is very threatened by Heracross; in total, it's not worth it and would probably lead to me sacking a Pokemon or two for little gain.

Cowboy Dan:

He goes to Gengar. I believe my Heracross to be an important threat here and I don’t want it to be weakened by fire punch or put to sleep so I decide to switch to Celebi who will be relatively safe regardless of what he does.

Turn 3
    Disaster Area withdrew Gengar!
    Disaster Area sent out Tyranitar!
    [Opposing Tyranitar's Sand Stream!]
    A sandstorm kicked up!
    Celebi used Recover!
    Celebi restored its HP.
    The sandstorm is raging.
    Celebi is buffeted by the sandstorm!
    Celebi was hurt by its burn!

Disaster Area:

he switches out Heracross from Gengar, into Celebi. This puts the genie back in the bottle for now and gives me some opportunity to get up Sand & Spikes in order to wear it down and preserve as much HP as I can for Gengar. Revealing Fire Punch on Gengar probably highlights to him that I don't have many ways of dealing with his Heracross besides Gengar, so he could be thinking about pressuring Gengar in order to sweep with Heracross as a means to win. Anyway, here I need to decide how I choose to handle this celebi. I have 3 main possibilities here: Skarmory, Tyranitar, and Blissey. Skarmory and Tyranitar are both fearful of the possibility of trappers, and with Celebi possibly carrying Baton Pass, it's incredibly risky to go to them. Blissey on the other hand can't do too much to Celebi and brings Heracross or another wallbreaker in. I have Thunder Wave, which could be useful to spread to help Tyranitar wallbreak, but giving Heracross another shot at Gengar is not something I wish to do. Hence, I should definitely reconsider TTar and Skarm. With Celebi+Heracross, Magneton definitely seems like a possibility, whilst Dugtrio seems a little less likely (and it's unlikely to be some sort of Salac lead Heracross, so a Dugtrio to trap TTar in order to control the weather isn't really a possibility). Hence, TTar is maybe the best bet, but again that lures in Heracross if Dan Baton Passes here. At least it gets sand up however, unlike Blissey. If he stays in and Psychics I get a free attack too which is a good move, but assuming the worst case scenario - he Baton Passes, I would most rather bring in Tyranitar. I can't stay in and predict that with Gengar, Taunting to prevent it, as Gengar is far too valuable with Heracross revealed to risk it. It's also my cleaner.

Cowboy Dan:

Celebi comes in on Fire Punch and takes a burn. Recover is my best option here to keep Celebi at high health. Leech Seed is a riskier option but it will leave my Celebi low the next time I try to come in. If not for the burn this would have been the better play. He is likely to either attack again or switch. Taunt is another option if he does this I will be forced out. I don’t believe he will go for it this early in the match though and it is rarely paired with fire punch.

Turn 4
    The opposing Tyranitar is tightening its focus!
    (Celebi's Natural Cure activated!)
    Celebi, come back!
    Go! Metagross!
    The opposing Tyranitar used Focus Punch!
    Metagross lost 63.8% of its health!
    The sandstorm is raging.

Disaster Area:

CBTar is in! Probably a baton pass or hard switch coming in, but if this thing carries substitute then that's a possibility to scout me. However, with Gengar revealed he might not want to let Celebi get so low so early, as it seems that's his best switch-in to Gengar. Therefore, I think I'm quite free to fire off a powerful attack. Focus Punch will do serious damage to whatever comes in, and I'm going to almost certainly want to switch next turn anyway.

Cowboy Dan:

He follows up with tyranitar. This is a threat to the team especially since I don’t know the set. Staying in here is unwise as he could hp bug or crunch me which while burned would be bad. My metagross is probably the best switch here as he is unlikely to earthquake. As it does not have leftovers I will have to be careful with it however.

Turn 5
    Disaster Area withdrew Tyranitar!
    Disaster Area sent out Skarmory!
    Metagross, come back!
    Go! Heracross!
    The sandstorm is raging.
    Heracross is buffeted by the sandstorm!
    Heracross restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Disaster Area:

Metagross in. That is some heavy damage on it, but this thing can explode! I've already revealed Gengar and Milotic, so the question is, will he risk exploding given that I've already revealed I have something which can potentially absorb it? It probably comes down to how much he values taking out my bulky water, and with a DDTar or Aero in the back it probably is. The rest of my team will struggle a lot versus those Pokemon if Milotic is taken out, so it probably is too much of a risk. The best thing to do is probably to go Skarmory and scout it: I might lose the opportunity to get up spikes, but it's better than losing to DDTar.

Cowboy Dan:

The focus punch reveals the Tyranitar to be Choice Banded. He is unlikely to stay in here, I expect a switch to Milotic. I need to put in some offensive pressure so a Double switch to Heracross is my best play here. Should he decide to focus punch again Heracross resists it, and should he decide to go to skarmory I can follow up with magneton. This will give him one layer of spikes however I believe switching to Magneton with the Skarmory still unrevealed and another switch (Milotic) being possible, would be too risky. He is very unlikely to go to Gengar here who seems to be his primary heracross answer.

Turn 6
    Heracross, come back!
    Go! Magneton!
    The opposing Skarmory used Spikes!
    Spikes were scattered on the ground all around your team!
    The sandstorm is raging.

Disaster Area:

Instead of booming or meteor mashing with his metagross, he goes to Heracross to put greater pressure on me. In many ways it's a smart move: I'm certainly switching out there, and most likely I go to Milotic, which enables him to put even greater pressure on me. At least with Skarmory there is the possibility of bluffing Drill Peck, but given I have already revealed Fire Punch Gengar he will probably assume I don't have it. I could go for a spike here, but I probably would end up losing my Skarmory or something in the process. This Heracross can OHKO me at +2. I could go to Gengar again but he could also anticipate that. Hmm, there are definitely some different options here to weigh up:
    - Go Gengar, hope he doesn't go for some move to chip at me (I think he will probably SD or Focus Punch though to prevent Skarm from spiking all over him)
    - Spike up, sack claydol, bring in Gengar.
    The second route is more appealing: I really want Spikes up, to be able to punish his switching, and Claydol is probably near useless in this matchup. There are a few situations it could come in handy still (if he reveals say Jirachi, Aero, Jolteon/Raikou/Zapdos, or DDTar), but maybe it's worth it for the spike. All of those Pokemon I have other ways to check anyway and it seems he's not carrying Spikes.

Cowboy Dan:

He goes Skarmory. I can now follow up with magneton. I do have to consider the possibility of Dugtrio here though which with Milotic as the water is a possibility. I don’t think this is a likely switch he will make though especially with the possibility of heracross going for Focus Punch against Skarmory. Another possibility is Gengar which midgrounds around focus punch and magneton but I cannot risk him getting more than 1 layer of spikes with spikes being an incredibly obvious play here.

Turn 7
    Magneton used Thunderbolt!
    It's super effective! The opposing Skarmory lost 100% of its health!
    The opposing Skarmory fainted!
    Disaster Area sent out Claydol!
    The sandstorm is raging.

Disaster Area:

He surprises me a little with Magneton. Still, I guess it was kind of obvious (with Celebi, Metagross, and Heracross) that he was carrying it, but ultimately I guess it's not doing much defensively for me this game either way, since I can't trap mag, although Light Screen could have helped, in practice I find LS Milo is pretty good for stopping Pursuit Tar for Gengar, but not so great for stopping Magneton for my Skarmory. I go for a second layer of Spikes, as it will help me with Metagross & Heracross if I survive to get it up.

Cowboy Dan:

He goes spikes as I hoped. I can now have around a 70% chance to kill the skarmory with thunderbolt and the magneton’s value has dropped allowing me to play more recklessly with it in future turns.

Turn 8
    Magneton, come back!
    Go! Celebi!
    Celebi is hurt by the spikes!
    The opposing Claydol used Earthquake!
    It's not very effective... Celebi lost 14.4% of its health!
    The sandstorm is raging.

Disaster Area:

well, it didn't. Claydol is my best answer to Magneton, and there's no reason to take unnecessary damage and status from this Magneton. The best thing to do is just to force it out and double switch in some way to pressure him, I think. That being said, he could be carrying Protect, so I will EQ first to scout for that. If he stays in and protects, I will then double to CBTar to pressure a Celebi switch-in and force some more damage on this team. I need to apply some pressure and take some control at this point in the game.

Cowboy Dan:

Thunderbolt gets the roll and kills the skarm giving me the first kill of the match and limiting spikes to one layer. He follows up with claydol indicating he does not have a dugtrio. Claydol is a slightly difficult pokemon for me as it will block Tyranitar from sweeping. I will need to force it to be sacrificed by heracross or weaken it with metagross in order to win with Tyranitar. Celebi is my safest switch this turn.

Turn 9
    Celebi used Leech Seed!
    The opposing Claydol was seeded!
    The opposing Claydol used Earthquake!
    It's not very effective... Celebi lost 15.6% of its health!
    The sandstorm is raging.
    The opposing Claydol's health is sapped by Leech Seed!

Disaster Area:

No protect then. I am afraid of the possibility of a Baton Pass here, making Blissey and Tyranitar quite risky options, so I decide to stay in and Earthquake again, just to see what he does.

Cowboy Dan:

This one is tricky as Celebi is a little bit low. My options are leech seed, hidden power grass and recover. Recover would keep my Celebi healthy which is important however it would allow tyranitar in for free. Leech seed is the best midground as it allows me to restore health and pressure any incoming switches. Hidden power grass is the aggressive play expecting Tyranitar. I will leech seed as it has the best chance of having a positive outcome for me.

Turn 10
    Celebi used Hidden Power!
    It's super effective! The opposing Claydol lost 47.5% of its health!
    The opposing Claydol used Rapid Spin!
    Celebi lost 4.5% of its health!
    The opposing Claydol was freed from Leech Seed!
    The sandstorm is raging.
    The opposing Claydol restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Disaster Area:

Leech Seed. The set is probably either finished off by CM+Psychic, or Sub+Baton Pass, but it could be something else, and it is difficult to tell. I would really like to know the move on it so I can know if Gengar is safe against it, but judging by the way he's playing it it probably carries Psychic, which I think makes Baton Pass unlikely. I am going to Rapid Spin here, again to see if he switches. It at least prevents Metagross or Heracross from healing up on me if I mispredict.

Cowboy Dan:

The fact that he stays in to earthquake tells me he is trying to get Tyranitar in for free on a forced recover. I can hidden power grass here which will put pressure on the Tyranitar. I have other switches for the gengar and can easily recover against the claydol later so despite the fact that Celebi is low I believe this is the best play. I believe at this point his last Pokemon is a special wall such as blissey.

Turn 11
    Disaster Area withdrew Claydol!
    Disaster Area sent out Blissey!
    Celebi used Recover!
    Celebi restored its HP.
    The sandstorm is raging.
    The opposing Blissey is buffeted by the sandstorm!
    The opposing Blissey restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Disaster Area:

He uses HP Grass, which pretty much forces me out. This turn then is an almost free for all, with Heracross and Metagross both looking threatening. Keeping claydol moderately healthy for me is useful, to keep Magneton at bay as well as potentially to sack to Metagross or Heracross. I go Blissey because I can't risk him revealing his last move is Psychic and catching my Gengar with it.

Cowboy Dan:

He opts to rapid spin which is great for me considering I need this claydol weakened. I now am forced to recover as the potential of a gengar switch makes Hidden Power Grass too risky.

Turn 12
    Disaster Area withdrew Blissey!
    Celebi used Leech Seed!
    The opposing Tyranitar was seeded!
    The sandstorm is raging.
    The opposing Tyranitar's health is sapped by Leech Seed!

Disaster Area:

A leech seed is coming here. He probably wants to see what I will do to try and catch Heracross/coming in, and Leech Seed will give him the space to do that. Given that, I go CBTar to pressure him.

Cowboy Dan:

He goes blissey confirming my suspicions. Seeing as this is a specially defensive Celebi I am free to leech seed here with few consequences. My win plan now is to arrange for Tyranitar to sweep. I will need Milotic or claydol further weakened and a turn for a free dragon dance.

Turn 13
    Celebi, come back!
    Go! Magneton!
    Magneton is hurt by the spikes!
    The opposing Tyranitar used Hidden Power!
    It's not very effective... Magneton lost 29.5% of its health!
    The sandstorm is raging.

Disaster Area:

He knows I'm CBTar from the damage on Metagross. He could HP Grass here if he decides Celebi isn't too valuable, and if he does that I don't get another bite of the apple. That being said, I think Gengar is such a problem for him that he could well switch out. Nonetheless I think the risk is too much and HP Bug at least does damage to something, so I'll take what I can get for now.

Cowboy Dan:

He goes Tyranitar. I believe Magneton to be my safest play here as it resists hp bug and rock slide and if he earthquakes I can follow up with heracross. If magneton dies it isn’t the biggest issue.

Turn 14
    Magneton used Toxic!
    The opposing Claydol was badly poisoned!
    The sandstorm is raging.
    The opposing Claydol was hurt by poison!

Disaster Area:

Magneton comes in. I have to go Bliss/Claydol to counter it, but I think Heracross is probably going to double switch in to put pressure on me.

Cowboy Dan:

Magneton gains safe entry and I can now safely toxic. If he goes blissey this puts pressure on it and if he goes claydol it will allow me to weaken it in to tyranitar’s attack range. Gengar is the only worry here but with the possibility of thunder wave and how important it is against heracross, I find this unlikely.

Turn 15
    Magneton used Hidden Power!
    The opposing Claydol lost 20.9% of its health!
    The opposing Claydol used Psychic!
    It's not very effective... Magneton lost 21.2% of its health!
    The sandstorm is raging.

Disaster Area:

I opt for Claydol just for the leftovers recovery, but he goes to Toxic instead. I go Psychic, anticipating Heracross to double in on an anticipated Refresh - I need to chip it any way I can and Magneton is not very threatening to me.

Cowboy Dan:

He goes claydol which allows me to weaken it with hidden power fire. I expect refresh to be the play here so I should get 1 turn of this and a switch to Celebi.

Turn 16
    Magneton, come back!
    Go! Celebi!
    Disaster Area withdrew Claydol!
    The sandstorm is raging.

Disaster Area:

Another prediction goes awry. At least he is going to stay in and HP Fire again so I can predict around that fairly easily, going blissey. Claydol is only good for fodder at this point anyway.

Note that there is no leftovers on Magneton: it is Magnet, so that indicates his team is particularly Skarmory weak otherwise. This means though that Magneton will not be a roadblock to a Gengar sweep: it's already in range of a Fire Punch.

Cowboy Dan:

He goes psychic interestingly. This gives me a few options. I can finish off the claydol with hidden power fire, I can toxic the incoming blissey or I can switch to Celebi as the midground. The only way that could backfire is if he explodes which I find unlikely as he can’t afford to drop refresh on this team. He is unlikely to switch to tyranitar as it would be at the whim of a potential protect from magneton.

Turn 17
    Celebi used Leech Seed!
    The opposing Blissey was seeded!
    The opposing Blissey used Thunder Wave!
    Celebi is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
    The sandstorm is raging.
    The opposing Blissey's health is sapped by Leech Seed!

Disaster Area:

this celebi is becoming increasingly problematic. I will Thunder Wave it to bait it into HP Grassing or switching out, anticipating CBTar to come in next turn

Cowboy Dan:

He switches to blissey which again gives me a free turn to leech seed.

Turn 18
    Disaster Area withdrew Blissey!
    It's not very effective... The opposing Gengar lost 15.7% of its health!
    The sandstorm is raging.
    The opposing Gengar is buffeted by the sandstorm!
    The opposing Gengar restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

in comes Gengar, to wear off the Leech Seed, and take an HP Grass if it's coming. I really want to know if this Celebi has Psychic; if it doesn't, I can play around it far more easily with Gengar, and use Gengar to pressure it. If it does, then I have to rely more on CBTar, which makes this difficult.

Cowboy Dan:

The thunder wave puts me in an interesting position. I believe hidden power grass is the best play to weaken Tyranitar as both tyranitar and gengar are possible switches and most of my switches expecting tyranitar would have an issue with gengar.

Turn 19
    Celebi used Leech Seed!
    The opposing Tyranitar was seeded!
    The sandstorm is raging.

Disaster Area:

He does HP Grass. I go TTar to scout again.

Cowboy Dan:

He went gengar so I’m glad I didn’t switch. I can now go leech seed as a midground, switch to porygon2 in case of taunt (considering I haven’t revealed my 4th move this is unlikely as he should fear psychic, or hp grass expecting tyranitar. I opt to leech seed as it is the safest all-around play.

Turn 20
    The opposing Tyranitar is tightening its focus!
    Celebi, come back!
    Go! Magneton!
    Magneton is hurt by the spikes!
    The opposing Tyranitar used Focus Punch!
    It's super effective! Magneton lost 41.9% of its health!
    Magneton fainted!
    Go! Metagross!
    Metagross is hurt by the spikes!
    The sandstorm is raging.

Disaster Area:

HP Bug would be really risky for him here so I Focus Punch again to make sure I actually do some damage.

Cowboy Dan:

I can now go magneton again for the same reasons as turn 13.

Turn 21
    Disaster Area sent out Milotic!
    Metagross used Explosion!
    The opposing Milotic lost 100% of its health!
    Metagross fainted!
    The opposing Milotic fainted!
    Go! Porygon2!
    Porygon2 is hurt by the spikes!
    [Porygon2's Trace!]
    Porygon2 traced the opposing Gengar's Levitate!
    The sandstorm is raging.
    Porygon2 is buffeted by the sandstorm!
    Porygon2 restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Disaster Area:

He brought in Metagross, which effectively takes no spikes damage thanks to leech seed. I have to flee here: I don't think he will explode, since I have Claydol as potential fodder here, so I risk Milotic so that I can fodder off Claydol at a later point. With no item revealed on it, it's probably CB, but it could be Lum.

---

aaah he caught me :[ I go Gengar because it matches up well again Heracross and I still want to scout Celebi. He has the upper hand here since he can guess what I will bring out (as all my pokemon are revealed) far more easily than I can guess what he will bring.

Cowboy Dan:

He goes focus punch meaning I no longer have magneton as fodder but the tyranitar is getting closer to celebi’s hp grass range. I can follow up with Celebi to put pressure with leech seed or follow up with metagross for more offensive pressure. I opt to do this as it will also give it leech seed recovery.

My options here are to explode or meteor mash. Explode allows me to kill milotic making a tyranitar sweep much easier but risks hitting gengar or claydol. I don’t find this likely however as he doesn’t know I’m not banded and meteor mash seems likely from me if I am so I go for the risky play and explode.

Turn 22
    Porygon2 used Thunder Wave!
    The opposing Blissey is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
    The sandstorm is raging.
    Porygon2 is buffeted by the sandstorm!
    Porygon2 restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Disaster Area:

Porygon2 is interesting... it doesn't really threaten me much, and it's a Pokemon I could put pressure on. I only see Heracross and possibly that last being able to break me open and beat me, so preserving Gengar is still crucial at this stage. Hence, I go Blissey, to see what status option or attack it goes for. Quite possibly a toxic incoming soon!

Cowboy Dan:

Milotic is dead I now have a clear shot to victory. I follow up with porygon2 as it has the least bad match ups. Gengar and Claydol lose to it, it can push tyranitar in to celebi’s hp grass range and blissey just doesn’t threaten me. He follows up with Gengar. Thunderwave is my safest play however doubling to heracross on the predicted blissey switch is interesting. Ultimately too risky though should he stay in with gengar.

Turn 23
    Porygon2, come back!
    Go! Celebi!
    The opposing Blissey used Seismic Toss!
    Celebi lost 24.8% of its health!
    The sandstorm is raging.

Disaster Area:

Thunder Wave would be nice on P2 but I don't want it on hera. If I seismic toss and it stays in I can Thunder Wave again, but most likely it is switching out. Hence, I go for Seismic Toss to get some chip damage.

Cowboy Dan:

He does follow up with blissey putting me in an interesting position. Heracross offensively pressures it most but I don’t want it getting hit with thunder wave so I go to Celebi instead.

Turn 24
    Celebi used Leech Seed!
    The opposing Blissey was seeded!
    The opposing Blissey is paralyzed! It can't move!
    The sandstorm is raging.

Disaster Area:

leech seed is coming again! I will paralyze this and then head to gengar to relieve leech seed from Blissey.

Cowboy Dan:

He goes for seismic toss giving me another clear window to leech seed. The blissey needs to be weakened a bit so that tyranitar can sweep against it.

Turn 25
    The opposing Blissey lost 10.8% of its health!
    Celebi is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
    The sandstorm is raging.

Disaster Area:

If he has psychic he will probably use it here: going Gengar is pretty appealing to me here as I don't want to give Heracross momentum and recovery, and I don't have fire blast (which he can probably figure out now that I've revealed Seismic Toss). I go for Thunder Wave so that CBTar could potentially put in some work again later if he does go Heracross, as well as to ward against Psychic.

Cowboy Dan:

He is fully paralyzed giving me another attack window. I opt to go hidden power grass as it will kill tyranitar and claydol, do damage to bliss and weaken gengar in to heracross rock slide range.

Turn 26
    Celebi, come back!
    Go! Tyranitar!
    Tyranitar is hurt by the spikes!
    Tyranitar is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
    Tyranitar ate its Lum Berry!
    Tyranitar was cured of paralysis.
    The sandstorm is raging.

Disaster Area:

Softboiled is again an opportunity for Heracross to come in. I will Thunder Wave again to try and catch it.

Cowboy Dan:

I expect a soft-boiled. This gives me a free switch to tyranitar to begin my sweep.

Turn 27
    Tyranitar used Rock Slide!
    The opposing Blissey lost 39.5% of its health!
    The opposing Blissey fainted!
    The sandstorm is raging.

DIsaster Area:

Maybe it's quite lucky, but I caught a Lum DDtar switching in. I feel he has to rock slide or earthquake here to prevent me from thunder waving again. Still, this DDTar is so risky I can't let it DD up here, and I can potentially set up a Gengar sweep if I can avoid being swept myself, so I go for it.

Cowboy Dan:

He thunderwaves instead. His bliss is now weak and he will most likely have to fodder something this turn I can’t dragon dance due to the possibility of a second thunder wave and must rock slide. Earthquake is another option but I cannot risk it due to the possibility of gengar coming in.

Turn 28
    The opposing Gengar used Will-O-Wisp!
    Tyranitar avoided the attack!
    Tyranitar used Dragon Dance!
    Tyranitar's Attack rose!
    Tyranitar's Speed rose!
    The sandstorm is raging.

Disaster Area:

Down goes blissey, but I can Will-O-Wisp here to stop DDTar sweeping me. If he goes Celebi, I'm going to guess at this point he doesn't have Psychic on it.

Cowboy Dan:

Blissey goes down. He follows up with gengar. I decide to dance so I can force damage on his gengar and end the game with Celebi. From the damage he’s been doing I strongly suspect it to be bulky and therefore slower after 1 dance.

Turn 29
    ☆Disaster Area: r i p
    Tyranitar used Rock Slide!
    The opposing Gengar lost 84.3% of its health!
    The opposing Gengar fainted!
    ☆LittleJohnnyJewel: i don't think it mattered
    The sandstorm is raging.

Disaster Area:

RIP I missed Wisp. Now I lose.

Cowboy Dan:

He goes wisp as I dance and it misses. I now have a clean sweep assuming I hit rock slide.

Turn 30
    ☆Disaster Area: I'm not sure, it certainly didn't help me tho
    ☆Disaster Area: I was on the back foot all game though
    Tyranitar used Earthquake!
    [Opposing Claydol's Levitate!]
    It doesn't affect the opposing Claydol...
    The sandstorm is raging.

Cowboy Dan:

Rock slide connects and I now have a 100% chance to win. He follows up with Tyranitar so I go Earthquake.

Turn 31
    ☆LittleJohnnyJewel: i would have been able to 1v1 the gar and then celebi wins from there
    Tyranitar used Ice Beam!
    It's super effective!
    A critical hit! The opposing Claydol lost 19.1% of its health!
    The opposing Claydol fainted!
    The sandstorm is raging.

Cowboy Dan:

He switches to Claydol but because of the poison it isn’t recovering health. Ice Beam kills it.

Turn 32
    ☆Disaster Area: yea I woulda needed misses or something I guess
    ☆Disaster Area: I am bulky with Giga Drain tho
    ☆Disaster Area: so it seemed possible
    Tyranitar used Earthquake!
    It's super effective! The opposing Tyranitar lost 50.9% of its health!
    The opposing Tyranitar fainted!
    LittleJohnnyJewel won the battle!
    ☆Disaster Area: gg
    ☆LittleJohnnyJewel: gg
    Disaster Area left.

Cowboy Dan:

Earthquake on the opposing Tyranitar ends the game.

And that's the game!

Overview:

Disaster Area:
    In total, Cowboy Dan executed a simple-sounding gameplan effectively:
    - Mag my skarm
    - Boom on my bulky water with Metagross
    - Clean up with DDTar
    evaluating how the game ended up, it seems that I may have made a mistake in taking a lot of damage on Claydol early on, taking damage to scout out Celebi, and then not even EQing Magneton when dan gave me the change, which made it harder for my own CBTar to wallbreak. I also made the wrong call, failing to predict his Metagross' Explosion. I wonder if there is anything I could have done about that, as those sorts of calls are effectively "50/50s". There were definitely several moments in the game where, if I had gone with my gut instinct, I would have been in a better spot, such as when Magneton landed Toxic on Claydol: I was strongly considering going Gengar on that turn, and Magneton was in range of Fire Punch, so had I done that it would have been advantageous to me. All in all, it felt like losing via a serious of wrong predictions, of the sort where there's little to it beyond effectively flipping a coin. If I had gotten some of them right, I would have had a better chance in the endgame, though there's no denying that Milotic could still end up losing to a boosted DDTar thanks to Rock Slide flinches. I felt like I was forced into very reactive positions all game; although there were some positions I could have gained momentum, I ended up squandering them as I tried to suss out my opponent's Celebi set. This would have been a very different game if at some earlier point I knew what his Celebi set was.

Cowboy Dan:
    Over all I felt I was able to closely stick to the game plan of weakening Claydol to allow Tyranitar to sweep. The Celebi helped me prevent him from ever picking up too much offensive momentum allowing me to have more room with my own threats. The Will o Wisp miss at the end was unfortunate but ultimately, I would have needed to get extremely unlucky at that point to lose as the Tyranitar would have been able to at the very least put gengar in to heracross rock slide range and more than likely 1v1 it completely. Furthermore, the Celebi would have been able to wear down his team until only bliss was left as tyranitar, the only major offensive threat to the Celebi, was 1 leech seed turn away from being in HP Grass range. If there was one thing I may have done differently it would be the explosion on Milotic. While this play ultimately worked out as intended, in hindsight it may have been overly risky since he had claydol as fodder in addition to gengar especially considering how far ahead I was at this point. Ultimately though this was a pretty fun exercise and there were definitely a few midgrounds I wouldn’t have spotted without taking the extra time to write down my thoughts which I do believe helped me gain the advantage in a few important predictions.

Thanks for reading if you actually managed to get all the way through that!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Enigami, Dizno, tjdaas and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dizno

Dizno Member

This was really cool. It's evident you guys put a lot of work into this. I really enjoyed the in depth analysis, the teambuilding, and the game discussion. It honestly made me feel like I was reading an old Mcmeghan team post.

Ive seen people use teams that are basically identical to Da's team and have great success. Dans team is particularly cool. It doesnt run spikes, but plays like a team that does. It relies on keeping up momentum, and making the right switches. Its giving me horrible flashbacks of our PPL game where +2 hera flinched my drill peck zapdos on the 2nd turn and made me realise how hera weak my team was xd.

All in all, I really enjoyed this segment. Its cool the way you guys organised the game beforehand and planned to give analysis. I really hope to see another series like this on the future, and id like to be part of it.

Great job guys

tjdaas, Disaster Area and Cowboy Dan like this.