1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

RBY OU / 1U (OverUsed) Chansey [Done]

Discussion in 'Individual Analyses' started by Disaster Area, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Fur and Power Member

Chansey [​IMG]
    Type: Normal
    Stats: 250 | 5 | 5 | 105 | 50

Introduction

Chansey is one of the best Pokémon in the RBY 1U tier and is arguably the metagame's most central Pokémon. Although it is no offensive threat, its ability to spread status and the difficulty to break Chansey makes it a metagame staple. It's one that you have to plan your game around being able to break. Chansey is quite versatile, with moves such as Reflect, Sing, and Counter being viable and effective options that all players should be aware of when playing against and constructing teams with it. Furthermore, unlike in 'old meta' (i.e. the metagame before Crystal_'s mechanical discoveries at the end of 2014) it cannot be paralysed by Snorlax's Body Slam, making it all the more valuable and challenging to break.

Sets

Standard

Chansey
    - Soft-Boiled
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunder Wave
    - Thunderbolt / Sing / Counter / Reflect

Set Details

This is generally considered the standard Chansey set. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt together have great coverage, hitting every target at least neutrally, with Ice Beam's ability to freeze the foe being a key part of Chansey's strength. It is important to note that revealing Thunderbolt in a match does reveal that you're not carrying any surprises on Chansey, unless you choose to run Sing or Counter over Thunder Wave instead. Personally, I find it abhorrent, since I feel that being able to spread paralysis is the thing that makes it most effective, but many players would favour running that, so do not be afraid to try it.

Onto the move options in the final slot specifically: they each have their pros and cons, so let's discuss each individually. Thunderbolt is massively helpful versus Starmie and Lapras in particular, as well as Jynx, Cloyster, and Slowbro. However, both Starmie and Lapras hate being paralysed and fear the possibility of Thunderbolt, so if your team has additional means to handle them, it is important to consider Chansey's other move possibilities. Sing allows you to put a more valuable target to sleep than any lead might permit you to sleep, but the accuracy makes its use a little risky in some scenarios, especially as there is a large probability of it missing, meaning that the opponent could switch in their sleep absorber the subsequent turn. However, Gengar and Sing Chansey together can guarantee obtaining sleep versus any lead matchup (accuracy notwithstanding), which is very helpful, especially since Gengar tends to carry Thunderbolt, giving you a second look at Starmie and Lapras. Counter is generally for Snorlax and to a lesser extent Lapras, though it can find use in other situations too, and most good opponents will scout for it; for example, using Earthquake on Chansey early-game with their Snorlax (usually having paralysed Chansey beforehand) can, if you play wisely, allow you a safer switch into Exeggutor or another teammate that puts pressure on your opponent. Care is required when playing with a Counter Chansey on your team, as it requires more careful control of the information game too. More advanced players will more easily avoid creating situations where the opponent could deduce greater information about Chansey's moveset. Reflect, though not listed in the set, is an option (although the below set generally does it better, in my opinion) that allows you to fend off Snorlax and force in another of your opponent's Pokémon.

Reflect + Seismic Toss (Raish Chansey)

Chansey
    - Soft-Boiled
    - Seismic Toss
    - Thunder Wave
    - Reflect

Set Details

This Chansey, most recently popularised by Raish within the most recent few years of RBY (and thus sometimes prompting it to be known as Raish Chansey) is a slightly different take on Chansey than as seen in its other sets. This Chansey is very difficult to break and is particularly good at spreading paralysis and handling Snorlax. Seismic Toss is chosen as an attacking option over, for example, Ice Beam due to its ability to hit every target other than opposing Chansey for impactful damage (and if it does get paralysed, then versus the standard Chansey, you can stall it, as you have more PP), rather than being walled by a certain target. Furthermore, Seismic Toss can often be used to take control of the momentum. For example, suppose that upon revealing Reflect, the opponent switches in an Alakazam that is already paralysed. With some slightly favourable luck, you can force it to recover whilst your own Chansey is healthy enough to still function effectively when brought into the match again later on, before Alakazam gets enough Special drops with Psychic to force you out, allowing you to go to, for example, Snorlax, Zapdos, or Tauros, pressuring and often forcing out Alakazam in that scenario, and thus granting the Chansey player momentum.

Sing + Seismic Toss (Dedicated Status Platform)

Chansey
    - Soft-Boiled
    - Seismic Toss
    - Thunder Wave
    - Sing

Set Details

This Chansey is ideal for the most offensive of teams, should they still want a Chansey. It provides sleep (though most good players would say it shouldn't be the only sleep-inducer for a team) and bulky paralysis support, and Seismic Toss allows it to regain momentum versus the special attackers with middling HP stats, such as Alakazam and Starmie, which Chansey can switch in against. Outside of its heavy status spreading capacity, it's less of a valuable piece on teams that it belongs to, beyond the early-game, as often the powerful specially-focussed threats (Alakazam, Starmie, other Water- and Electric-types) that it is suited to take on can be beaten through offensive pressure that would rather Chansey not come in often if at all later on in the match. This is because it may allow opposing Chansey to regain damage dealt earlier on during the match. For these teams, it is important to allow the opposing Chansey to status as few Pokémon as possible. Electric-types (e.g. Zapdos and Jolteon) are particularly valuable on these teams for helping to pressure Starmie, whilst Alakazam can paralyse and pressure opposing Chansey, as well as providing a secondary answer to many special attackers.

Other Options

Light Screen, although much better in Ubers (where Amnesia utilisers are omnipresent) allows Chansey to handle Slowbro much better (though eventually Special drops will get the better of it, it can stall out its PP heavily). More peculiar combinations of some of the moves mentioned in previous sets, such as Seismic Toss + Counter or Ice Beam + Seismic Toss can fulfill specific purposes but is usually better to run one of the listed sets and possibly make an adjustment to a set or two of its partners. Blizzard is an option over Ice Beam, with the marginally greater damage forcing opposing Chansey to recover more, should it engage in a freeze war versus you, although it risks missing and has lower PP. Its main draw is being able to OHKO Dragonite and 3HKO Tauros. Nevertheless, the low PP and higher probability of missing make it a rarer and poorer choice. Defense Curl is an option that can be used over Reflect; it has significantly higher PP, giving it the advantage in a Chansey ditto and lets it boost its Defense further than Reflect allows; however, Reflect is more effective after a single turn, which can be key versus Pokemon like Snorlax that might otherwise grant the foe more momentum or an opportunity to get a critical hit. It also has the upside of when Chansey is paralysed and versus a foe that is also paralyzed, it can utilise the game's mechanics to outspeed its foe through boosting its Defense, re-applying the Speed drop of paralysis on the foe. Substitute blocks the freeze chance of Ice Beam, making it in theory the ideal move for a Chansey freeze war. In practice you usually would rather make use of another move in that moveslot, but it a usable option.

Paralysing Chansey

What status should I try to inflict on the opposing Chansey and should I allow my own Chansey to become paralysed or not are two very important questions to ask yourself when constructing your own team and during each battle. A paralysed Chansey is much easier to break with, for example, Snorlax, or pressure with Alakazam, but it provides protection against freezes and sleep (meaning often, if you allow Chansey to be paralysed, you can sacrifice your sleeping Pokémon later on during the match due to being able to prevent the foe from sending something to sleep again later). With Sing Lapras / Chansey, you can attempt to put the opposing Chansey to sleep, although this is risky due to its poor accuracy. It is unrealistic to expect to be able to put the opposing Chansey to sleep every match, so ultimately you must decide whether you will try to freeze the opposing Chansey, using Pokémon and sets such as Jynx, Lapras, Cloyster, Ice Beam Chansey, and Blizzard Starmie or try and paralyse it so as to be able to break Chansey with Pokémon such as Snorlax, Alakazam, and Zapdos, or to run a hybrid of the two strategies. For example, consider the team Jynx / Chansey / Exeggutor / Tauros / Snorlax / Zapdos. Your strategy could be to attempt to freeze the foe early on using Jynx, then paralyse Chansey later if that is unsuccessful, breaking down the opposing Chansey with your Snorlax or Zapdos. Good Pokémon to paralyse Chansey with most notably include Alakazam, Starmie, Zapdos, and Slowbro, as well as your own Chansey.

Note that Reflect variants of Chansey are more difficult to break if they are paralysed. Alakazam and Slowbro can pressure it and force it out, through paralysis and their powerful attacks, whilst sacrificing, for example, Snorlax or Exeggutor with their Self-Destruct and Explosion, respectively, leaving them at a low enough HP to be revenge killed by Tauros, is a suitable method of removing it in some matches, although carries with it some risk.

If you decide that you want your Chansey to remain unparalysed during some of the duration of the match, you must consider how you will handle opposing threats that spread paralysis (such as Alakazam, Starmie, and Zapdos). Alakazam is a good partner to Chansey, if you wish to keep Chansey paralysed, as it can assist with many of the threats that could otherwise paralyse Chansey.

How to beat Chansey

There are quite a few methods of dealing with Chansey, mostly revolving around status, which I shall discuss in turn. All teams should run some combination of these tools and use them to formulate a plan to beat Chansey previous to and during the match.

Explosion/Self-Destruct: This method is inconsistent and absolutely should not be the only means for a team to handle Chansey, but it is an effective tool to bear in mind.

Sending Chansey to Sleep:
    Realistically, you will most likely achieve this if you carry Sing Chansey or Sing Lapras, but neither is guaranteed to put the opposing Chansey to sleep due to both its poor accuracy and the fact that it is not wholly unpredictable.

Freeze: Though it cannot be guaranteed, many RBY teams are quite freeze-focussed; for example, you can run one or more of Jynx, Lapras, Cloyster, Articuno, Ice Beam Chansey, and Ice Beam Snorlax, as well as a few other more minor options. Aiming to freeze Chansey means you must keep the opposing Chansey devoid of paralysis, until you feel that paralysed Chansey is more in your than attempting to freeze Chansey any further.

Paralyse and Pressure: In the long run, this is the most consistent method of handling Chansey, but it may on the other hand mean allowing more of your Pokémon to succumb to Chansey's status assault. Alakazam, Starmie, Slowbro, Jolteon, Zapdos, Exeggutor, Hypno, and your own Chansey are all good Pokémon to paralyse Chansey with, although the list is not wholly exhaustive. Powerful physical assaults, such as from Snorlax, Golem, Rhydon, and Zapdos, and special assaults utilising STAB Psychic from the likes of Alakazam and Exeggutor are all good means with which to pressure it.

Stall It: In some scenarios, stalling the opposing Chansey of PP is a viable option. For example, if you have a paralysed Reflect Chansey versus a standard Chansey, you can utilise the advantage of higher PP to stall it out of usable moves. Usually, the opponent will be conscious of this fairly quickly though and go to another Pokémon to force your Chansey out. Rest Snorlax can stall Chansey out of PP, and Body Slam's PP outnumbers Soft-Boiled's (and can land a critical hit, devastatingly, though it can also miss), meaning Chansey without Reflect, Counter, Sing, or the luck of having Snorlax miss a Body Slam cannot beat Snorlax and is forced out by it, even though Chansey cannot be paralysis by Body Slam. Parafusion—paralysis and confusion together (from Confuse Ray Lapras usually)—is a reasonably effective tactic to pressure the opponent's Chansey.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    froggy25 likes this.
  2. Ortheore

Ortheore Leader

Intro mentions stopping Lax which is really weird imo given that Lax destroys paralysed Chansey, AmnesiaLax freezes Chansey if it's not paralysed and RestLax in general stall it out. If it switches in, it can't really do much back. It's just a really ineffectual response to Snorlax and shouldn't be made out as such. Also I think more emphasis should be placed on how important Chansey is. I'd argue that there isn't a single mon that is more central to the metagame- many teams revolve around how they handle Chansey, and it can check literally anything given the right circumstances. It's not just pretty good, it's amazing.

As it stands things are poorly organised. Personally I'd structure things like

[set]->[overview]->[details and variations] Overview describes the set's general function and merits, variations discusses merits of different variations (ie. Tbolt, Counter, Sing etc)
    [Paralysing Chansey] Discuss the merits of (not) paralysing opposing Chansey and your own Chansey
    [C&C] Cover unparalysed Chansey, then for paralysed cover the first/third set and Raish Chansey

The reason I prefer this structure is that I think how you handle paralysis and Chansey is a worthy topic in and of itself, and shouldn't be awkwardly squeezed into the first set detail that pops up. Secondly, I prefer C&C separate because responses to unparalysed Chansey tend to be universal, and the only set that really has a different set of checks if paralysed is Raish's set.

I prefer Reflect>Counter and Sing on standard Chansey, it's just so much more consistent than the other two. Blizzard is a terrible option on Chansey, 8 PP is crap, gives you a much lower freeze potential and its advantages are incredibly niche- Dnite is irrelevant since you're not set up fodder anyway because Twave, Gengar is only relevant if it's trying to wake up. Running Sing/Counter> TWave I think is much more viable than you make it out to be. Both those moves depend entirely on surprise value and revealing Tbolt practically guarantees you've got the surprise up your sleeve. I'd definitely rather drop Twave than run Blizzard lol.

I don't remember ever seeing the last set but oh well, there's reasonable reasoning behind it I guess so w/e.

Just generally you really really aren't clear on how to handle Chansey. The first set talks about paralysing Chansey but doesn't actually discuss how you play around it and beat it. Raish Chansey is alright, neglects RestLax tho, which should be added, as well as mentioning more generalised stuff on stalling it out. The 3rd set has no checks at all, but they're the same as first set so w/e.

OO seems fine to me.

3. Disaster Area

I use the last set quite a bit, I have it on 2 diff sorts of teams from the top of my head, one's a quirky old meta style one with leech egg, and I have it on a couple of more jolt HO type builds. Blizzard is totally legit if your team's not really at all freeze-focused and you're particularly concerned about either mon, I've run it on occasion.

I view Twave as the single thing that makes Chansey 'threatening' throughout the match which is why I'd hate to not run it.

Otherwise good points for the most part

e: just C&C to do now.
    e2: done.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    Ortheore likes this.
  4. marcoasd

marcoasd Host Emeritus

- Softboiled
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunder Wave
    - Thunderbolt/Light Screen

- Softboiled
    - Seismic Toss/Ice Beam
    - Thunder Wave
    - Sing / Counter / Reflect

SToss over Ice Beam as being walled by Lapras, Jynx, Articuno and not hitting water types like Starmie really hurts. 16 PPs won't last long.

5. Mister Tim

Mister Tim The most handsome man on PP Season Host

You can put Chansey in parafuse trap, After body slam fix it became not very popular but a lot of players tries to get para on Chansey coz afraid of freeze, so lapras with confuse ray and bs can deal with it, but it's a bit risky

6. Disaster Area

eh I don't think Light Screen is that good, that's why I put it OO. Pretty much every other set you mentioned I already covered too marco

7. Ortheore

Ortheore Leader

Blizzard gimps your freezing ability and reducing your attacking PP opens yourself up to PP stall. Meanwhile as I said you cripple Dnite regardless and Gengar is only really threatening Chansey via boom, regardless of Blizz/IB, such that the only situation where it matters is if a sleeping Gar is trying to wake. PP stall is also important since Chansey is looking to be a threat to stall opposing pokemon out.

Saying Chansey is only a threat because of Twave I feel isn't quite right. Firstly a surprise Sing/Counter can be absolutely game-breaking, often resulting in an incapacitated Lax. Secondly, it's not much of a threat even with Twave. There's nothing stopping the opponent from going to the same pokemon every time and limiting the spread of para that way. Lastly its longevity (as well as coverage) is threatening. It isn't a threat to do lots of damage, but it's arguably the best in the game at not dying, while chipping away slowly at opponents, or even PP stalling them.

Disaster Area likes this.
  8. Disaster Area

moved blizzard to OO

and yeah you're right about the twave stuff but nevertheless I think thunder waveis mandatory on chansey. nevertheless in teh analysis I make it clear that running it without twave is viable, thuogh I find it abhorrent, and something that the analysis reader ought to try.

9. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END. Member

You misspelled "Tauros", methinks.

Chansey Blizzard vs. Gengar: 75 - 89 (23.2 - 27.6%) -- 73% chance to 4HKO
    Chansey Blizzard vs. Tauros: 113 - 133 (32 - 37.7%) -- 93% chance to 3HKO

10. Enigami

Enigami Moderator

Any reason why Defense Curl isn't discussed in OO as an alternate Reflect? Obviously it has only half the immediate impact of Reflect, but it provides 64 PP which greatly improves PP stalling (and when it wins has x4 Defense), and also reapplies the paralysis Speed drop of opposing paralyzed Pokemon which guarantees paralyzed Chansey moves first (handy when you're walling something like paralyzed Zam or Jolt, and can also mean slow paralyzed teammates such as Snorlax can switch in and outspeed).

11. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

amcheck

add
    remove
    comments
    Chansey [​IMG]

Introduction

Chansey is one of the very unnecessary best Pokémon in the RBY 1U tier,(RC) and is arguably the most central Pokémon to the metagame. Although it is it's no offensive threat, its ability to spread status and the difficulty to break it Chansey make makes it a metagame staple,(RC).(add period) It's one that you have to plan your game around being able to break. It's Chansey is quite versatile, with moves such as Reflect, Sing, and Counter being viable and effective options on it, that all players should be aware of when playing against it and constructing teams with it. Furthermore, unlike in 'old meta', i.e. the metagame before Crystal_'s mechanical discoveries at the end of 2014, it cannot be Paralyzed by Snorlax' Body Slam, making it all the more valuable, and challenging to break.

Sets

Standard

Chansey
    - Softboiled
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunder Wave

Set Details

This is generally considered the standard Chansey. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt together have great coverage, hitting every target at least neutrally, with Ice Beam's ability to freeze the opponent being a key part of Chansey's strength. Important to note is that revealing Thunderbolt in a match does reveal that you're not carrying any suprises surprises on Chansey,(RC) unless you choose to run Sing or Counter over Thunder Wave instead. Personally I find it abhorrent since I personally feel that being able to spread Paralysis is the thing which makes it most effective, but many players would favour favor not sure if this site uses American English but I assume it must running that, so do not be afraid to try it.

Onto the move options in the final slot specifically, they each have their pro's pros and con's cons, so let's discuss each individually. Thunderbolt is massively helpful versus Starmie and Lapras in particular, as well as useful for Jynx, Cloyster, and Slowbro. However, both Starmie and Lapras hate being paralyzed and fear the possibility of Thunderbolt, so if your team has additional means to handle them, then it is important to consider Chansey's other move possibilities. Sing allows you to Sleep put a more valuable target to sleep than any lead might permit you to Sleep, but the accuracy makes its use a little risky in some scenarios, especially as there is a large probability of it missing, meaning that the opponent could switch in their sleep absorber the subsequent turn. However, Gengar and Sing Chansey together can guarantee obtaining Sleep versus any lead matchup (accuracy notwithstanding) which is very helpful, especially since Gengar tends to carry Thunderbolt, giving you a second look at Starmie and Lapras. Counter is generally for Snorlax, and to a lesser extent Lapras, though it can find use in other situations too, and most good opponents will scout for it, for example,(AC) Earthquaking using Earthquake on Chansey early on in the match with their Snorlax (usually having paralyzed Chansey beforehand), which can, if you play wisely, allow you a safer switch into Exeggutor or another teammate that puts pressure on your opponent. Care is required when playing with a Counter Chansey on your team, as it requires more careful control of the information game too. More advanced players will more easily avoid creating situations where the opponent could deduce greater information about Chansey's moveset. Reflect, though not listed in the set, is an option (although the below set generally does it better, in my opinion) allowing you to fend off Snorlax and force in another of your opponent's Pokémon.

Chansey
    - Softboiled
    - Seismic Toss
    - Thunder Wave
    - Reflect

Set Details

This Chansey, most recently popularised popularized by Raish within the most recent few years of RBY (and thus sometimes prompting it to be known as Raish Chansey) is a slightly different take on Chansey,(RC) than as seen in its other sets. This Chansey is very difficult to break,(RC) and is particularly good at spreading paralysis and handling Snorlax. Seismic Toss is chosen as an attacking option over, for example, Ice Beam, due to its ability to hit every target other than opposing Chansey for impactful damage (and if it does get paralyzed, then versus the Standard Chansey you can stall it, as you have more PP), rather than being walled by a certain target. Furthermore, Seismic Toss can often be used to take control of the momentum. For example, suppose that upon revealing Reflect, the opponent switches in an Alakazam, which is already paralyzed. With some slightly favourable favorable luck, you can force it to recover whilst your own Chansey is healthy enough to still function effectively when brought into the match again later on, before Alakazam gets enough Special drops with Psychic to force you out, allowing you to go to, for example, Snorlax, Zapdos, or Tauros, pressuring and often forcing out Alakazam in that scenario, and granting the Chansey player momentum.

Chansey
    - Softboiled
    - Seismic Toss
    - Thunder Wave
    - Sing

Set Details

This Chansey is ideal for the most offensive of teams, should they still want a Chansey. It provides Sleep sleep (though most good players would say it shouldn't be the only Sleeper sleep-inducer for a team) and bulky paralysis support, and Seismic Toss allowing it to regain momentum versus the special attackers with middling HP stats, such as Alakazam and Starmie, which Chansey can switch in against. Outside of its heavy status spreading capacity, it's less of a valuable piece on teams which it belongs to, beyond the early game, as often the powerful Specially-focussed threats (Alakazam, Starmie, other Waters and Electrics Water- and Electric-types) that it is suited to take on can be beaten through offensive pressure, that would rather Chansey not come in often if at all later on in the match, as it may allow opposing Chanseys Chansey you don't need to add an "s" to pluralize a Pokemon's name to regain damage dealt earlier on during the match. For these teams, it is important to allow the opposing Chansey to status as few Pokémon as possible. Electric-types (i.e. Zapdos and Jolteon) are particularly valuable on these teams for helping to pressure Starmie, whilst Alakazam can paralyze and pressure opposing Chansey, as well as providing a secondary answer to many Special-(remove hyphen)attackers.

Other Options

Some significant other options exist for Chansey. Light Screen, although much better in Ubers (where Amnesia abusers are omnipresent) still not sure if "still" is needed allows Chansey to handle Slowbro much better (though eventually SpecDrops will get the better of it, it can stall out its PP heavily). More peculiar combinations of some of the moves mentioned in previous sets, such as Seismic Toss + Counter, or Ice Beam + Seismic Toss can perform fulfill specific purposes but is usually better to run one of the listed sets, and possibly make an adjustment to a set or two of its partners'. Blizzard is an option over Ice Beam, with the marginally greater damage forcing the opposing Chansey to recover more should it engage in a freeze war versus you, although it risks missing, and has lower PP. More importantly, its Its main draw is being that it's able to OHKO Dragonite and 3HKO Tauros . remove the space between the period and "Tauros" Nevertheless, the low PP and higher probability of missing makes make it a rarer and poorer choice.

Paralyzing Chansey

The questions of: what status should I try to inflict on the opposing Chansey; should I allow my own Chansey to become Paralyzed or not, are two very important questions to ask yourself when constructing your own team, and during each battle. A paralyzed Chansey is much easier to break with, for example, Snorlax, or pressure with Alakazam, but it provides protection against freezes and sleep (meaning often, if you allow Chansey to be paralyzed, then you can sacrifice your sleeping Pokémon later on during the match due to being able to prevent the opponent from sending something to sleep again later). With Sing Lapras / Chansey, you can attempt to sleep put the opposing Chansey to sleep, although risky due to its accuracy. It is unrealistic to expect to be able to Sleep put the opposing Chansey to sleep every match, so ultimately you must decide whether you will try to freeze the opposing Chansey, using Pokémon and sets such as Jynx, Lapras, Cloyster, Ice Beam Chansey, and Blizzard Starmie, or try and paralyze it so as to be able to break Chansey with Pokémon such as Snorlax, Alakazam, and Zapdos, or to run a hybrid of the two strategies. For example, consider the team Jynx / Chansey / Exeggutor / Tauros / Snorlax / Zapdos. Your strategy could be to attempt to freeze the opponent early on using Jynx, then paralyze Chansey later if that is unsuccessful, breaking down the opposing Chansey with your Snorlax or Zapdos. Good Pokémon to paralyze Chansey with most notably includes Alakazam, Starmie, Zapdos, and Slowbro, as well as your own Chansey.

Note that Reflect variants of Chansey are more difficult to break if they are paralyzed. Alakazam and Slowbro can pressure it and force it out, through paralysis and their powerful attacks, whilst sacrificing, for example, Snorlax or Exeggutor with their Selfdestruct and Explosion respectively, leaving them at a low enough HP to be revenged by Tauros, is a suitable method of removing it in some matches, although carries with it some risk.

If you decide that you want your Chansey to remain unparalyzed during some of the duration of the match, then you must consider how you will handle opposing threats that spread paralysis (such as Alakazam, Starmie, and Zapdos). Alakazam is a good partner to Chansey, if you wish to keep Chansey unparalyzed, as it can assist with many of the threats that could otherwise paralyze Chansey.

How to beat Chansey

There's There are quite a few methods of dealing with Chansey, mostly revolving around status, which I shall discuss in turn. All teams should run some combination of these tools, and use them to formulate a plan to beat Chansey previous to and during the match.

Explosion/Selfdestruct: This method is inconsistent, and absolutely should not be the only means for a team to handle Chansey, but it is an effective tool to bear in mind.

Sending Chansey to sleep: Realistically you will most likely achieve this if you carry Sing Chansey or Sing Lapras, but neither is guaranteed to sleep put the opposing Chansey to sleep, due to both its poor accuracy and the fact that it is not wholly unpredictable.

Freeze: Though it cannot be guarantee'd guaranteed, many RBY teams are quite freeze-focussed, for example running one or more of Jynx, Lapras, Cloyster, Articuno, Ice Beam Chansey, Ice Beam Snorlax, as well as a few other more minor options. Aiming to Freeze Chansey means you must keep the opposing Chansey devoid of paralysis,(RC) until you feel that paralyzing Chansey is more in your favour favor than attempting to Freeze Chansey any further.

Paralyze Paralysis (?) and Pressure: In the long run this is the most consistent method of handling Chansey, but it may on the other hand mean allowing more of your Pokémon to succumb to Chansey's status assault. Alakazam, Starmie, Slowbro, Jolteon, Zapdos, Exeggutor, Hypno, and your own Chansey are all good Pokémon to paralyze Chansey with, although the list is not wholly exhaustive. Powerful physical assaults, such as from Snorlax, Golem, Rhydon, and Zapdos, and Special assaults abusing STAB Psychic from the likes of Alakazam and Exeggutor are all good means with which to pressure it.

Stall it: In some scenarios, stalling the opposing Chansey of PP is a viable option. For example, if you have a paralyzed Reflect Chansey versus a Standard Chansey, you can abuse the advantage of higher PP to stall it out of usable moves. Usually,(AC) the opponent will be conscious of this fairly quickly though and go to another Pokémon to force your Chansey out. Rest Snorlax can stall Chansey out of PP, and Body Slam's PP outnumbed outnumbers Softboiled's (and can land a critical hit, devastatingly.. though it can also miss), meaning Chansey without Reflect, Counter, Sing, or the luck of having Snorlax miss a Body Slam cannot beat Snorlax and is forced out by it, even though Chansey cannot be paralyzed by Body Slam. Parafusion - Paralysis and Confusion together (from Confuse Ray Lapras usually) - is a reasonably effective tactic to pressure the opponent's Chansey.

Leech Seed and/or Toxic it: Leech Seed is a rare but surprisingly useful tool to pressure Chansey, especially as with Chansey's high HP stat it can be used to help heal some of the more weakened Pokémon on the user's team. Toxic is a very poor status choice in RBY, but if Chansey is the final remaining Pokémon on someone's team (not likely though) then it is very helpful. However, I strongly recommend against running Toxic, and Leech Seed's utility is very limited, so I recommend, particularly if you are a newer player to the tier, to avoid using these options for the most part.

12. Sobi

Sobi hi Member

remove {add} (comments)

Chansey [​IMG]

Introduction

Chansey is one of the very unnecessary best Pokémon in the RBY 1U tier,(RC) and is arguably the {metagame's} most central Pokémon to the metagame. Although it is it's (unnecessary change) no offensive threat, its ability to spread status and the difficulty to break it Chansey make makes it a metagame staple,(RC).(add period) It's (okay, the previous wasn't wrong though) one that you have to plan your game around being able to break. It's Chansey is quite versatile, with moves such as Reflect, Sing, and Counter being viable and effective options on it, (remove comma) that all players should be aware of when playing against it and constructing teams with it. Furthermore, unlike in 'old meta', (comma) ( {add brackets} i.e. the metagame before Crystal_'s mechanical discoveries at the end of 2014, (comma) ) {add brackets} it cannot be Paralyzed {paralysed} by Snorlax'{s} Body Slam, making it all the more valuable, (comma) and challenging to break.

Sets

Standard

Chansey
    - {Soft-Boiled}
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunder Wave

Set Details

This is generally considered the standard Chansey {set}. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt together have great coverage, hitting every target at least neutrally, with Ice Beam's ability to freeze the {foe} being a key part of Chansey's strength. {It is important} to note is that revealing Thunderbolt in a match does reveal that you're not carrying any suprises surprises on Chansey,(RC) (keep the comma please) unless you choose to run Sing or Counter over Thunder Wave instead. Personally{,} I find it abhorrent{,} since I personally feel that being able to spread {paralysis} is the thing {that} makes it most effective, but many players would favour favor not sure if this site uses American English but I assume it must (British English, actually, so "favour" please) running that, so do not be afraid to try it.

Onto the move options in the final slot specifically,(comma) {: colon} they each have their pro's pros and con's cons, so let's discuss each individually. Thunderbolt is massively helpful versus Starmie and Lapras in particular, as well as useful for Jynx, Cloyster, and Slowbro. However, both Starmie and Lapras hate being {paralysed} and fear the possibility of Thunderbolt, so if your team has additional means to handle them, then it is important to consider Chansey's other move possibilities. Sing allows you to Sleep put a more valuable target to sleep than any lead might permit you to {sleep}, but the accuracy makes its use a little risky in some scenarios, especially as there is a large probability of it missing, meaning that the opponent could switch in their sleep absorber the subsequent turn. However, Gengar and Sing Chansey together can guarantee obtaining {sleep} versus any lead matchup (accuracy notwithstanding){,} which is very helpful, especially since Gengar tends to carry Thunderbolt, giving you a second look at Starmie and Lapras. Counter is generally for Snorlax,(comma) and to a lesser extent Lapras, though it can find use in other situations too, and most good opponents will scout for it,(comma) {; semicolon} for example,(AC) Earthquaking using Earthquake on Chansey {early-game} on in the match with their Snorlax (usually having {paralysed} Chansey beforehand), (comma) which can, if you play wisely, allow you a safer switch into Exeggutor or another teammate that puts pressure on your opponent. Care is required when playing with a Counter Chansey on your team, as it requires more careful control of the information game too. More advanced players will more easily avoid creating situations where the opponent could deduce greater information about Chansey's moveset. Reflect, though not listed in the set, is an option (although the below set generally does it better, in my opinion) {that allows} you to fend off Snorlax and force in another of your opponent's Pokémon.

Chansey
    - {Soft-Boiled}
    - Seismic Toss
    - Thunder Wave
    - Reflect

Set Details

This Chansey, most recently popularised popularized (british english please) by Raish within the most recent few years of RBY (and thus sometimes prompting it to be known as Raish Chansey) is a slightly different take on Chansey,(RC) than as seen in its other sets. This Chansey is very difficult to break,(RC) and is particularly good at spreading paralysis and handling Snorlax. Seismic Toss is chosen as an attacking option over, for example, Ice Beam,(comma) due to its ability to hit every target other than opposing Chansey for impactful damage (and if it does get {paralysed}, then versus the {standard} Chansey{, comma} you can stall it, as you have more PP), rather than being walled by a certain target. Furthermore, Seismic Toss can often be used to take control of the momentum. For example, suppose that upon revealing Reflect, the opponent switches in an Alakazam, which {that} is already {paralysed}. With some slightly favourable favorable no implemento please luck, you can force it to recover whilst your own Chansey is healthy enough to still function effectively when brought into the match again later on, before Alakazam gets enough Special drops with Psychic to force you out, allowing you to go to, for example, Snorlax, Zapdos, or Tauros, pressuring and often forcing out Alakazam in that scenario, and {thus} granting the Chansey player momentum.

Chansey
    - {Soft-Boiled}
    - Seismic Toss
    - Thunder Wave
    - Sing

Set Details

This Chansey is ideal for the most offensive of teams, should they still want a Chansey. It provides Sleep sleep (though most good players would say it shouldn't be the only Sleeper sleep-inducer for a team) and bulky paralysis support, and Seismic Toss allowing {allows} it to regain momentum versus the special attackers with middling HP stats, such as Alakazam and Starmie, which Chansey can switch in against. Outside of its heavy status spreading capacity, it's less of a valuable piece on teams {that} it belongs to, beyond the {early-game}, as often the powerful {specially-focussed} threats (Alakazam, Starmie, other Waters and Electrics Water- and Electric-types) that it is suited to take on can be beaten through offensive pressure,(comma) that would rather Chansey not come in often if at all later on in the match{. This is because} as it may allow opposing Chanseys Chansey you don't need to add an "s" to pluralize a Pokemon's name to regain damage dealt earlier on during the match. For these teams, it is important to allow the opposing Chansey to status as few Pokémon as possible. Electric-types (i.e. {e.g.} Zapdos and Jolteon) are particularly valuable on these teams for helping to pressure Starmie, whilst Alakazam can {paralyse} and pressure opposing Chansey, as well as providing a secondary answer to many {special}-(remove hyphen)attackers.

Other Options

Some significant other options exist for Chansey. Light Screen, although much better in Ubers (where Amnesia {utilisers} are omnipresent) still not sure if "still" is needed allows Chansey to handle Slowbro much better (though eventually {Special drops} will get the better of it, it can stall out its PP heavily). More peculiar combinations of some of the moves mentioned in previous sets, such as Seismic Toss + Counter,(comma) or Ice Beam + Seismic Toss can perform fulfill (both work) specific purposes but is usually better to run one of the listed sets,(comma) and possibly make an adjustment to a set or two of its partners'(apo). Blizzard is an option over Ice Beam, with the marginally greater damage forcing the opposing Chansey to recover more{, comma} should it engage in a freeze war versus you, although it risks missing,(comma) and has lower PP. More importantly, its Its main draw is {being} that it's (keep being) able to OHKO Dragonite and 3HKO Tauros . remove the space between the period and "Tauros" Nevertheless, the low PP and higher probability of missing makes make it a rarer and poorer choice.

{Paralysing} Chansey

{What} status should I try to inflict on the opposing Chansey;(semicolon) {and} should I allow my own Chansey to become {paralysed} or not,(comma) are two very important questions to ask yourself when constructing your own team,(comma) and during each battle. A {paralysed} Chansey is much easier to break with, for example, Snorlax, or pressure with Alakazam, but it provides protection against freezes and sleep (meaning often, if you allow Chansey to be {paralysed}, then you can sacrifice your sleeping Pokémon later on during the match due to being able to prevent the {foe} from sending something to sleep again later). With Sing Lapras / Chansey, you can attempt to sleep put the opposing Chansey to sleep, although {this is} risky due to its {poor} accuracy. It is unrealistic to expect to be able to Sleep put the opposing Chansey to sleep every match, so ultimately you must decide whether you will try to freeze the opposing Chansey, using Pokémon and sets such as Jynx, Lapras, Cloyster, Ice Beam Chansey, and Blizzard Starmie,(comma) or try and {paralyse} it so as to be able to break Chansey with Pokémon such as Snorlax, Alakazam, and Zapdos, or to run a hybrid of the two strategies. For example, consider the team Jynx / Chansey / Exeggutor / Tauros / Snorlax / Zapdos. Your strategy could be to attempt to freeze the {foe} early on using Jynx, then {paralyse} Chansey later if that is unsuccessful, breaking down the opposing Chansey with your Snorlax or Zapdos. Good Pokémon to {paralyse} Chansey with most notably {include} Alakazam, Starmie, Zapdos, and Slowbro, as well as your own Chansey.

Note that Reflect variants of Chansey are more difficult to break if they are {paralysed}. Alakazam and Slowbro can pressure it and force it out, through paralysis and their powerful attacks, whilst sacrificing, for example, Snorlax or Exeggutor with their {Self-Destruct} and Explosion{, comma} respectively, leaving them at a low enough HP to be {revenge killed} by Tauros, is a suitable method of removing it in some matches, although carries with it some risk.

If you decide that you want your Chansey to remain {unparalysed} during some of the duration of the match, then you must consider how you will handle opposing threats that spread paralysis (such as Alakazam, Starmie, and Zapdos). Alakazam is a good partner to Chansey, if you wish to keep Chansey {paralysed}, as it can assist with many of the threats that could otherwise {paralyse} Chansey.

How to beat Chansey

There's There are quite a few methods of dealing with Chansey, mostly revolving around status, which I shall discuss in turn. All teams should run some combination of these tools,(comma) and use them to formulate a plan to beat Chansey previous to and during the match.

Explosion/{Self-Destruct}: This method is inconsistent,(comma) and absolutely should not be the only means for a team to handle Chansey, but it is an effective tool to bear in mind.

Sending Chansey to {Sleep}: Realistically{, comma} you will most likely achieve this if you carry Sing Chansey or Sing Lapras, but neither is guaranteed to sleep put the opposing Chansey to sleep,(comma) due to both its poor accuracy and the fact that it is not wholly unpredictable.

Freeze: Though it cannot be guarantee'd guaranteed, many RBY teams are quite freeze-focussed{; semi) for example{, comma} {you can run} one or more of Jynx, Lapras, Cloyster, Articuno, Ice Beam Chansey, {and} Ice Beam Snorlax, as well as a few other more minor options. Aiming to {freeze} Chansey means you must keep the opposing Chansey devoid of paralysis,(RC) (keep this comma) until you feel that {paralysed} Chansey is more in your favour favor (keep original) than attempting to {freeze} Chansey any further.

Paralyze Paralysis (?) {Paralyse} and Pressure: In the long run{, comma} this is the most consistent method of handling Chansey, but it may on the other hand mean allowing more of your Pokémon to succumb to Chansey's status assault. Alakazam, Starmie, Slowbro, Jolteon, Zapdos, Exeggutor, Hypno, and your own Chansey are all good Pokémon to {paralyse} Chansey with, although the list is not wholly exhaustive. Powerful physical assaults, such as from Snorlax, Golem, Rhydon, and Zapdos, and {special} assaults {utilising} STAB Psychic from the likes of Alakazam and Exeggutor are all good means with which to pressure it.

Stall {It}: In some scenarios, stalling the opposing Chansey of PP is a viable option. For example, if you have a {paralysed} Reflect Chansey versus a {standard} Chansey, you can {utilise} the advantage of higher PP to stall it out of usable moves. Usually,(AC) the opponent will be conscious of this fairly quickly though and go to another Pokémon to force your Chansey out. Rest Snorlax can stall Chansey out of PP, and Body Slam's PP outnumbed outnumbers {Soft-Boiled's} (and can land a critical hit, devastatingly{, comma}.. though it can also miss), meaning Chansey without Reflect, Counter, Sing, or the luck of having Snorlax miss a Body Slam cannot beat Snorlax and is forced out by it, even though Chansey cannot be {paralysis} by Body Slam. Parafusion—{paralysis} and {confusion} together (from Confuse Ray Lapras usually)—is a reasonably effective tactic to pressure the opponent's Chansey.

Leech Seed and/or Toxic it {Use Leech Seed and/or Toxic}: Leech Seed is a rare but surprisingly useful tool to pressure Chansey, especially as with Chansey's high HP stat{, comma} {as} it can be used to help heal some of the more weakened Pokémon on the user's team. Toxic is a very poor status choice in RBY, but if Chansey is the final remaining Pokémon on someone's team (not likely{, comma} though) then it is very helpful. However, I strongly recommend against running Toxic, and Leech Seed's utility is very limited, so I recommend, particularly if you are a newer player to the tier, to avoid using these options for the most part.

let me know if you require a cp

GP APPROVED

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  13. Disaster Area

Added Defense Curl into OO.

14. Sobi

Sobi hi Member

Chansey [​IMG]

Introduction

Chansey is one of the best Pokémon in the RBY 1U tier and is arguably the metagame's most central Pokémon. Although it is no offensive threat, its ability to spread status and the difficulty to break Chansey makes it a metagame staple. It's one that you have to plan your game around being able to break. Chansey is quite versatile, with moves such as Reflect, Sing, and Counter being viable and effective options that all players should be aware of when playing against and constructing teams with it. Furthermore, unlike in 'old meta' (i.e. the metagame before Crystal_'s mechanical discoveries at the end of 2014) it cannot be paralysed by Snorlax's Body Slam, making it all the more valuable and challenging to break.

Sets

Standard

Chansey
    - Soft-Boiled
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunder Wave

Set Details

This is generally considered the standard Chansey set. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt together have great coverage, hitting every target at least neutrally, with Ice Beam's ability to freeze the foe being a key part of Chansey's strength. It is important to note that revealing Thunderbolt in a match does reveal that you're not carrying any surprises on Chansey, unless you choose to run Sing or Counter over Thunder Wave instead. Personally, I find it abhorrent, since I feel that being able to spread paralysis is the thing that makes it most effective, but many players would favour running that, so do not be afraid to try it.

Onto the move options in the final slot specifically: they each have their pros and cons, so let's discuss each individually. Thunderbolt is massively helpful versus Starmie and Lapras in particular, as well as Jynx, Cloyster, and Slowbro. However, both Starmie and Lapras hate being paralysed and fear the possibility of Thunderbolt, so if your team has additional means to handle them, it is important to consider Chansey's other move possibilities. Sing allows you to put a more valuable target to sleep than any lead might permit you to sleep, but the accuracy makes its use a little risky in some scenarios, especially as there is a large probability of it missing, meaning that the opponent could switch in their sleep absorber the subsequent turn. However, Gengar and Sing Chansey together can guarantee obtaining sleep versus any lead matchup (accuracy notwithstanding), which is very helpful, especially since Gengar tends to carry Thunderbolt, giving you a second look at Starmie and Lapras. Counter is generally for Snorlax and to a lesser extent Lapras, though it can find use in other situations too, and most good opponents will scout for it; for example, using Earthquake on Chansey early-game with their Snorlax (usually having paralysed Chansey beforehand) can, if you play wisely, allow you a safer switch into Exeggutor or another teammate that puts pressure on your opponent. Care is required when playing with a Counter Chansey on your team, as it requires more careful control of the information game too. More advanced players will more easily avoid creating situations where the opponent could deduce greater information about Chansey's moveset. Reflect, though not listed in the set, is an option (although the below set generally does it better, in my opinion) that allows you to fend off Snorlax and force in another of your opponent's Pokémon.

Chansey
    - Soft-Boiled
    - Seismic Toss
    - Thunder Wave
    - Reflect

Set Details

This Chansey, most recently popularised by Raish within the most recent few years of RBY (and thus sometimes prompting it to be known as Raish Chansey) is a slightly different take on Chansey than as seen in its other sets. This Chansey is very difficult to break and is particularly good at spreading paralysis and handling Snorlax. Seismic Toss is chosen as an attacking option over, for example, Ice Beam due to its ability to hit every target other than opposing Chansey for impactful damage (and if it does get paralysed, then versus the standard Chansey, you can stall it, as you have more PP), rather than being walled by a certain target. Furthermore, Seismic Toss can often be used to take control of the momentum. For example, suppose that upon revealing Reflect, the opponent switches in an Alakazam that is already paralysed. With some slightly favourable luck, you can force it to recover whilst your own Chansey is healthy enough to still function effectively when brought into the match again later on, before Alakazam gets enough Special drops with Psychic to force you out, allowing you to go to, for example, Snorlax, Zapdos, or Tauros, pressuring and often forcing out Alakazam in that scenario, and thus granting the Chansey player momentum.

Chansey
    - Soft-Boiled
    - Seismic Toss
    - Thunder Wave
    - Sing

Set Details

This Chansey is ideal for the most offensive of teams, should they still want a Chansey. It provides sleep (though most good players would say it shouldn't be the only sleep-inducer for a team) and bulky paralysis support, and Seismic Toss allows it to regain momentum versus the special attackers with middling HP stats, such as Alakazam and Starmie, which Chansey can switch in against. Outside of its heavy status spreading capacity, it's less of a valuable piece on teams that it belongs to, beyond the early-game, as often the powerful specially-focussed threats (Alakazam, Starmie, other Water- and Electric-types) that it is suited to take on can be beaten through offensive pressure that would rather Chansey not come in often if at all later on in the match. This is because it may allow opposing Chansey to regain damage dealt earlier on during the match. For these teams, it is important to allow the opposing Chansey to status as few Pokémon as possible. Electric-types (e.g. Zapdos and Jolteon) are particularly valuable on these teams for helping to pressure Starmie, whilst Alakazam can paralyse and pressure opposing Chansey, as well as providing a secondary answer to many special attackers.

Other Options

Light Screen, although much better in Ubers (where Amnesia utilisers are omnipresent) allows Chansey to handle Slowbro much better (though eventually Special drops will get the better of it, it can stall out its PP heavily). More peculiar combinations of some of the moves mentioned in previous sets, such as Seismic Toss + Counter or Ice Beam + Seismic Toss can fulfill specific purposes but is usually better to run one of the listed sets and possibly make an adjustment to a set or two of its partners. Blizzard is an option over Ice Beam, with the marginally greater damage forcing opposing Chansey to recover more, should it engage in a freeze war versus you, although it risks missing and has lower PP. Its main draw is being able to OHKO Dragonite and 3HKO Tauros. Nevertheless, the low PP and higher probability of missing make it a rarer and poorer choice. Defense Curl is an option that can be used over Reflect; it has significantly higher PP, giving it the advantage in a Chansey ditto and lets it boost its Defense further than Reflect allows; however, Reflect is more effective after a single turn, which can be key versus Pokemon like Snorlax that might otherwise grant the foe more momentum or an opportunity to get a critical hit. It also has the upside of when Chansey is paralysed and versus a foe that is also paralyzed, it can utilise the game's mechanics to outspeed its foe through boosting its Defense, re-applying the Speed drop of paralysis on the foe.

Paralysing Chansey

What status should I try to inflict on the opposing Chansey and should I allow my own Chansey to become paralysed or not are two very important questions to ask yourself when constructing your own team and during each battle. A paralysed Chansey is much easier to break with, for example, Snorlax, or pressure with Alakazam, but it provides protection against freezes and sleep (meaning often, if you allow Chansey to be paralysed, you can sacrifice your sleeping Pokémon later on during the match due to being able to prevent the foe from sending something to sleep again later). With Sing Lapras / Chansey, you can attempt to put the opposing Chansey to sleep, although this is risky due to its poor accuracy. It is unrealistic to expect to be able to put the opposing Chansey to sleep every match, so ultimately you must decide whether you will try to freeze the opposing Chansey, using Pokémon and sets such as Jynx, Lapras, Cloyster, Ice Beam Chansey, and Blizzard Starmie or try and paralyse it so as to be able to break Chansey with Pokémon such as Snorlax, Alakazam, and Zapdos, or to run a hybrid of the two strategies. For example, consider the team Jynx / Chansey / Exeggutor / Tauros / Snorlax / Zapdos. Your strategy could be to attempt to freeze the foe early on using Jynx, then paralyse Chansey later if that is unsuccessful, breaking down the opposing Chansey with your Snorlax or Zapdos. Good Pokémon to paralyse Chansey with most notably include Alakazam, Starmie, Zapdos, and Slowbro, as well as your own Chansey.

Note that Reflect variants of Chansey are more difficult to break if they are paralysed. Alakazam and Slowbro can pressure it and force it out, through paralysis and their powerful attacks, whilst sacrificing, for example, Snorlax or Exeggutor with their Self-Destruct and Explosion, respectively, leaving them at a low enough HP to be revenge killed by Tauros, is a suitable method of removing it in some matches, although carries with it some risk.

If you decide that you want your Chansey to remain unparalysed during some of the duration of the match, you must consider how you will handle opposing threats that spread paralysis (such as Alakazam, Starmie, and Zapdos). Alakazam is a good partner to Chansey, if you wish to keep Chansey paralysed, as it can assist with many of the threats that could otherwise paralyse Chansey.

How to beat Chansey

There are quite a few methods of dealing with Chansey, mostly revolving around status, which I shall discuss in turn. All teams should run some combination of these tools and use them to formulate a plan to beat Chansey previous to and during the match.

Explosion/Self-Destruct: This method is inconsistent and absolutely should not be the only means for a team to handle Chansey, but it is an effective tool to bear in mind.

Sending Chansey to Sleep: Realistically, you will most likely achieve this if you carry Sing Chansey or Sing Lapras, but neither is guaranteed to put the opposing Chansey to sleep due to both its poor accuracy and the fact that it is not wholly unpredictable.

Freeze: Though it cannot be guaranteed, many RBY teams are quite freeze-focussed; for example, you can run one or more of Jynx, Lapras, Cloyster, Articuno, Ice Beam Chansey, and Ice Beam Snorlax, as well as a few other more minor options. Aiming to freeze Chansey means you must keep the opposing Chansey devoid of paralysis, until you feel that paralysed Chansey is more in your than attempting to freeze Chansey any further.

Paralyse and Pressure: In the long run, this is the most consistent method of handling Chansey, but it may on the other hand mean allowing more of your Pokémon to succumb to Chansey's status assault. Alakazam, Starmie, Slowbro, Jolteon, Zapdos, Exeggutor, Hypno, and your own Chansey are all good Pokémon to paralyse Chansey with, although the list is not wholly exhaustive. Powerful physical assaults, such as from Snorlax, Golem, Rhydon, and Zapdos, and special assaults utilising STAB Psychic from the likes of Alakazam and Exeggutor are all good means with which to pressure it.

Stall It: In some scenarios, stalling the opposing Chansey of PP is a viable option. For example, if you have a paralysed Reflect Chansey versus a standard Chansey, you can utilise the advantage of higher PP to stall it out of usable moves. Usually, the opponent will be conscious of this fairly quickly though and go to another Pokémon to force your Chansey out. Rest Snorlax can stall Chansey out of PP, and Body Slam's PP outnumbers Soft-Boiled's (and can land a critical hit, devastatingly, though it can also miss), meaning Chansey without Reflect, Counter, Sing, or the luck of having Snorlax miss a Body Slam cannot beat Snorlax and is forced out by it, even though Chansey cannot be paralysis by Body Slam. Parafusion—paralysis and confusion together (from Confuse Ray Lapras usually)—is a reasonably effective tactic to pressure the opponent's Chansey.

Use Leech Seed and/or Toxic: Leech Seed is a rare but surprisingly useful tool to pressure Chansey, especially with Chansey's high HP stat, as it can be used to help heal some of the more weakened Pokémon on the user's team. Toxic is a very poor status choice in RBY, but if Chansey is the final remaining Pokémon on someone's team (not likely, though) then it is very helpful. However, I strongly recommend against running Toxic, and Leech Seed's utility is very limited, so I recommend, particularly if you are a newer player to the tier, to avoid using these options for the most part.

edit @ below: added that and edited it due to some grammar edits, thanks

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  15. Enigami

Enigami Moderator

Sobi, the copypaste removes Defense Curl.

Sobi likes this.
  16. Disaster Area

Added this to OO:

17. magic9mushroom

I thought secondaries were blocked even when a substitute IS broken?

18. Disaster Area

Not to my recollection

Maybe you can look this up? It's very important in RBY 5U where Seadra runs substitute pretty often

19. DarkCyborg

DarkCyborg I represent the power of Ice! Member

From Bulbapedia:

Source: Substitute (move) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Peasounay likes this.
  20. Disaster Area

Bulbapedia isn't really a great source of information on mechanics. The best thing would be to find it in Crystal_'s breakdown of the RBY mechanics that he made after going through the repository.

E: shooting him a pm on discord, hopefully he'll respond.

E2:
    Disaster Area-Today at 4:29 PM
    hey mechanics question
    so I know substitute blocks the secondary from stuff like Ice Beam, but does it block it even when the attack breaks the substitute?
    Crystal_-Today at 4:43 PM
    yeah
    think of explosion
    Disaster Area-Today at 4:44 PM
    okay thanks
    does it block the secondary when it doesn't break the substitute too right?
    Crystal_-Today at 4:45 PM
    yeah
    Disaster Area-Today at 4:45 PM
    okay thanks

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    DarkCyborg likes this.
  21. magic9mushroom

22. Disaster Area

I think I'll review this analysis at some point. For one thing, Counter+Stoss chansey is now a thing, Ice Beam+Stoss deserves a mention, and I wonder if the sets could be done differently
    (e.g: BoltBeam | Reflect | Sing | Counter)

23. Ortheore

Ortheore Leader

My opinion is that Chansey should only have two sets: BoltBeam and Raish. Everything else (Sing/Counter) is just a variation on those two sets imo

Random other stuff- remove Leech Seed+Toxic. These are both pretty bad options in general and in practice are never seen

24. Disaster Area

Well I guess the tidiest way of thinking about it is sets with Ice Beam and sets with Seismic Toss, but if you put Sing or Counter on a set it plays quite differently... I dunno it's hard to decide how best to sort the sets out. Toxic+Leech Seed should be & now has been removed.