1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

Event CALLOUS Invitational Tournament 3

Discussion in 'Global Tournaments' started by CALLOUS, Jul 12, 2019.

1. CALLOUS

CALLOUS YouTube.com/CALLOUSnarrates Leader

CALLOUS INVITATIONAL 3 FEEDBACK SURVEY- CALLOUS Invitational 3 Feedback Survey

CALLOUS INVITATIONAL 3 OFFICIAL DISCORD SERVER-
    Callous Invitational 3

FIND EVERY GAME FROM THIS TOURNAMENT, NARRATED, ON MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL! CALLOUS Narrates - YouTube

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome everyone to a tournament I'm very, very proud of. For a good long while it was likely this tournament was never going to see the light of day. Somehow, we're here, and this is going to be the best Callous Invitational yet. We've got players from 5 different continents. We've got a larger prize pool than we've ever had before. We have, in my opinion, the strongest field we've ever had. Sit back and enjoy the show!

If you want to help CALLOUS Invitational 3, some things you can do are-

-Join the Discord
    -Subscribe to my YouTube channel, which is where you'll find all the games
    -Share said Discord and YouTube channels with your friends- the more people the better
    -Donate money to help the tournament

***TOUR IS OVER- NO LONGER ACCEPTING DONATIONS***
    ----------------------------------------------
    INFORMATION AND DISCLAIMER REGARDING DONATIONS-

This year I am accepting donations for the first time! All donations are entirely voluntary, via PayPal and non-refundable. Any individual donor may choose to either have their Pokemon name used, so they are given the credit they deserve, or to donate anonymously- whichever that person is more comfortable with. By default, I plan to split donations 50/50- half kept for myself to take some of the financial burden of this tournament off of my wife and I and the other half directly into the prize pool. If you'd like me to distribute your money differently simply let me know and I'll honor that request. All donors will have their name specially immortalized in this thread and in the Discord channel and they'll be specifically mentioned and thanked in the first and last video of the main event.

If you have any questions about donations, please speak with me directly on Discord.

DONATION INCENTIVES*-

20 Dollars- I'll narrate any Gen 3 OU game of your choice, new or old, competitive or casual, so long as it has a working replay. I can do it analytically and try to break down thought processes or I can just do color commentary- let me know!
    40 Dollars- I'll narrate a game from any generation of your choice! You can make me do a GSC or DPP game, which I know a little bit, or you can stick me on something new or a lower tier where I have absolutely no clue what anything does just to laugh at me!
    60 Dollars- I'll make a special video on any Pokemon-related topic of your choice, such as how to approach a certain matchup, breaking down a specific team, a video on EVs, etc

80 Dollars- I'll do an entire hour long "Pokemon Talk w/ Callous" video, which includes making two other guests do it with me, on any Pokemon-related topic of your choice!

*Only one incentive total per donor. Someone cannot, for example, donate 100 dollars and then ask me to do both the 40 dollar and the 60 dollar incentive. I also reserve the right to refuse to accept a request at any time for any reason, as I'll not make videos I deem inappropriate or not in the best interest of myself/my channel/the community.
    ----------------------------------------------

***REPLAYS ARE MANDATORY FOR ALL GAMES!!!***

The rules of the tournament have not changed from last year. Here they are-

-32 participants, invite only. This tournament is not open to the general public.

-ADV OU bo3s, with specific later stages of the tournament becoming bo5.

-Double elimination.

-Random pairings every single round. There will be a separate winners bracket and losers bracket and pairings within those brackets will always be randomized.

-Baton Pass + Ingrain in banned.

-Baton Pass + Belly Drum is banned.

-No team may contain more than 3 Pokemon with the move Baton Pass.

-Brightpowder, Quick Claw, Scope Lens, etc are banned.

-Standard tournament clauses as observed on Smogon are in effect. No evasion moves, no Ubers, etc.

-All match results are to be reported either in this thread or in the appropriate section of the Discord channel. Ultimately, all results and replays will be posted in both places.

PRIZES- 755 Dollars!
    1st- 50%
    2nd- 30%
    3rd- 20%

*Please note that all prizes are in USD, will be paid out via PayPal and these amounts are subject to change if and when more donations come in*

-My money. My tour. My rules. I'm the sole decider if/when controversy/drama comes up and my decisions are final.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Participants-

1. Undisputed
    2. Starmaster
    3. Jimmy Turtwig
    4. Astamatitos
    5. M Dragon
    6. Hclat
    7. Dice
    8. Fakes
    9. Fear
    10. TDK
    11. SoulWind
    12. Jirachee
    13. Ugly Duckling
    14. Eden's Embrace
    15. Golden Sun
    16. Marcop
    17. Thelinearcurve
    18. Zf
    19. McMeghan
    20. Conflict
    21. Elodin
    22. Cowboy Dan
    23. Tamahome
    24. Blightbringer
    25. CyberOdin
    26. Lycomedes
    27. Dekzeh
    28. Pasy_g
    29. ABR
    30. Triangles
    31. Zomog
    32. Charmflash

Declined to Participate-

BKC
    Earthworm
    CrashingBoomBang
    Alexander
    Danilo
    Lavos

PEOPLE WHO DESERVE CREDIT-

Staff-

Sadlysius- Trailer creator, spreadsheet creator, thumbnails
    KHI- Discord server moderator
    SamuelBest- Discord server moderator
    Blim- Discord server moderator
    Dizno- Narration Team
    Jabba- Narration Team
    PDC- Narration Team

Donors-

Blim- 200 dollars!
    Waveshaper- 30 dollars!
    Dizno- 50 dollars!
    Wiggy Jiggy Jed- 30 dollars!
    “Anonymous J”- 40 dollars!
    “Anonymous K”- 60 dollars!
    “Anonymous T”- 100 dollars!
    Finchinator- 15 dollars!
    Sprinkles- 10 dollars!

PLAY-IN MATCHES-

Group A-

Altina vs Zomog
    Hellpowna vs Melle

Zomog vs Hellpowna

---------------------
    Xray vs Troller
    Lusch vs Zokuru

Xray vs Zokuru

Zomog vs Zokuru for the spot!

Group B-

Za Meowdo vs Frontloader13
    Sadlysius vs Finchinator

Za Meowdo vs Sadlysius
    ----------------------
    The Kyle vs Baddummy
    Relous vs SamBest

Baddummy vs SamBest.

Za Meowdo vs Baddummy for the spot!

MAIN EVENT-

ROUND 1- ENDS 8/11 11:59PM EST
    32W/0L- Everybody Plays

Cowboy Dan vs Elodin 2-1
    Jirachee vs Tamahome 2-0
    Marcop vs Zomog 2-0
    TDK vs Blightbringer 2-0
    Undisputed vs Starmaster 2-1
    SoulWind vs Lycomedes 2-0
    Hclat vs Golden Sun 2-1
    Roro vs Dekzeh 2-0
    CyberOdin vs Astamatitos 2-1
    Conflict vs Triangles 2-0
    Eden's Embrace vs Jimmy Turtwig 2-1
    Fear vs Pasy_g 2-0
    Dice vs TheLinearCurve 2-0
    M Dragon vs ABR 2-0
    Charmflash vs Ugly Duckling 2-0
    Zf vs Fakes 2-1

ROUND 2- ENDS 8/18 11:59PM EST
    16W/16L- Everybody Plays

Upper Bracket-

Zomog vs Triangles 2-1
    Astamatitos vs Lycomedes 2-1

Charmflash vs Undisputed 2-1
    Tamahome vs ABR 2-0
    Elodin vs Roro 2-1

Zf vs Golden Sun 2-0
    Pasy_g vs TheLinearCurve 2-1
    Blightbringer vs Eden's Embrace 2-0

Lower Bracket-

Marcop vs M Dragon 2-1
    Jimmy Turtwig vs Cowboy Dan 2-0
    Ugly Duckling vs Hclat 2-0
    SoulWind vs Fakes 2-0
    TDK vs Starmaster 2-1
    CyberOdin vs Fear 2-1
    Jirachee vs Dice 2-0
    Dekzeh vs Conflict 2-1

ROUND 3- ENDS 8/25 11:59PM EST
    8W/16L- Lower Bracket Only

M Dragon vs Ugly Duckling 2-0
    Eden's Embrace vs Lycomedes 2-1
    Zomog vs Golden Sun 2-0
    Dice vs Starmaster 2-1
    TheLinearCurve vs Tamahome 2-1
    Dekzeh vs Fear 2-1
    Jimmy Turtwig vs Charmflash 2-1
    Fakes vs Roro 2-1

ROUND 4- ENDS 9/1 11:59PM EST
    8W/8L- Everybody Plays

Upper Bracket-

ABR vs Pasy_g 2-1
    Elodin vs Astamatitos 2-0
    Blightbringer vs Zf 2-0
    Triangles vs Undisputed 2-1

Lower Bracket-

M Dragon vs Roro 2-0
    Fear vs Eden's Embrace 2-1
    Golden Sun vs Tamahome 2-0
    Starmaster vs Jimmy Turtwig 2-0

ROUND 5- ENDS 9/8 11:59PM EST
    4W/8L- Lower Bracket Only

Roro vs Blightbringer 2-1
    Pasy_g vs Golden Sun 2-0
    Starmaster vs Elodin 2-1
    Undisputed vs Fear 2-1

ROUND 6- ENDS 9/15 11:59PM EST
    4W/4L- Everybody Plays

Upper Bracket-

Astamatitos vs Triangles 2-1
    Zf vs ABR 2-1

Lower Bracket-

Starmaster vs Pasy_g 2-0
    Undisputed vs Blightbringer 2-1

ROUND 7- Ends ASA Lower Bracket Finishes, No Later Than 9/22 11:59PM EST

Upper Bracket-

ABR vs Triangles

Lower Bracket-

Zf vs Blightbringer 2-1
    Astamatitos vs Pasy_g 2-0

ROUND 8- Ends 9/29 11:59PM EST

Upper Bracket-

ABR vs Triangles 2-0

Lower Bracket-

Astamatitos vs Zf 2-0

****BEST OF FIVE FROM THIS POINT FORWARD****

LOWER BRACKET FINALS- Deadline 10/6 11:59 PM EST-

ABR vs Astamatitos 3-1

GRAND FINALS, SET 1- Deadline 10/13 11:59 PM EST

Triangles vs Astamatitos 3-2

***CALLOUS INVITATIONAL 3 FINAL STANDINGS***

Tournament Champion- Triangles $377.5
    Runner Up- Astamatitos $226.5
    Third Place- ABR $151
    4th- Zf
    5th-6th- Blightbringer, Pasy_g
    7th-8th- Starmaster, Undisputed

9th-12th- Elodin, Fear, Golden Sun, Roro
    13th- 16th- Eden's Embrace, Jimmy Turtwig, M Dragon, Tamahome
    17th- 24th- Charmflash, Dekzeh, Dice, Fakes, Lycomedes, TheLinearCurve, Ugly Duckling, Zomog
    25th-32nd- Conflict, Cowboy Dan, CyberOdin, Hclat, Jirachee, Marcop, SoulWind, TDK

Join the Discord, Subscribe on YouTube and enjoy the tour!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Chrysalis, LUX, Teclis and 14 others like this.
  2. Jaajgko

Jaajgko I will disband the soccer club Member

This looks super epic thanks for hosting

Sadlysius, Dizno and CALLOUS like this.
  3. Lojh

Lojh Above Average GSCer Member

A long awaited return

Sadlysius and CALLOUS like this.
  4. CALLOUS

5. CALLOUS

First batch of interviews from CALLOUS Invitational 3 competitiors!

CALLOUS It is universally agreed upon that you're one of the very best ADV players in the world, and you've had huge success in major tours such as SPL and The World Cup of Pokemon. But, for whatever reason, you've ended up with an 1-4 match record in the previous two Callous Invitational Tournaments. What do you make of that?

UNDISPUTED Several factors. Foremost, this tournament includes great players. Even if I’m good, it’s not crazy to lose to great players in this game. Second, usually this tournament is after SPL and WCoP, and I invest a ton of effort in those tournaments. By the end of those I’m mentally exhausted and don’t build or practice as hard for this. I’ve also used up my great ideas and fall back on perhaps more standard and predictable teams. Last, my personal style might just be more apt for best-of-one. It’s a different dynamic where surprise, creativity, and attention to detail are rewarded. If you don’t mind me patting myself on the back, I’ve created and popularized sets like Off Pert among others and had success with a variety of unconventional mons like Marowak, Hariyama, Breloom, Charizard, Dragonite, and Kingdra. Doing stuff like that is far more difficult in this tournament because of the sheer game volume plus immediately public replays.

CALLOUS Is your approach or strategy any different this time around than it has been in previous iterations of the tour?

UNDISPUTED Frankly probably not. I’m in a phase of my life where other things are more important to me than Pokemon. By all means I’ll still try to win all my games, but I’m not going to investing as much time and stress as I would in SPL or WCoP. Those games I think about my teams and practice games constantly, but that kind of effort isn’t sustainable or healthy frankly.

CALLOUS Which player in this tournament would you least want to play against and why?

UNDISPUTED I hate playing players who are good but don’t really play ADV much. They play well, but sometimes they miss nuances in playing and building that you would assume they should know. Or they know more than you would expect based on their apparent experience. I would play against Linear differently than I would play against Elodin, for example. I know Linear is great and tuned into the ADV metagame. I don’t know where Elodin’s at in that regard, though he’s a fantastic player generally.

CALLOUS Any predictions for a favorite or two that you feel have a great chance to go deep in this tour?

UNDISPUTED You have to predict Linear for his historically great performances. Besides that, I was first and still on the Marcop bandwagon. Even if he doesn’t make it deep, he’s definitely among the best in this tournament.

CALLOUS Anything else you'd like to say before the tour begins?

UNDISPUTED I’m grateful to be included and recognized as an elite player in this tournament. This tournament is one of the best competitive Pokemon events and certainly the best in ADV. The ADV community is a really solid group of people and competitors unlike the rest of the competitive Pokémon community. I enjoy being a part of it. It’s one of a handful of things that keep me spending time on Pokemon as I get older and move onto different phases of my life. Thanks to everyone who makes my time here worthwhile.

vapicuno, hclat, Alice and 2 others like this.
  6. CALLOUS

CALLOUS Cowboy Dan, Callous Invitational 2 Champion! After the first Callous Invitational, won by Linear, despite being almost entirely unknown and unproven as far as Smogon is concerned prior to that tournament Linear walked right into SPL, was bid on heavily and has remained in the tournament ever since. There's a good chance with your victory you could have done the same, but you opted not to sign up. Why?

COWBOY DAN I did originally sign up but ended up retracting my post because I just wasn't getting enough time to keep up with the pokemon community. If it had been an individual tour I'd have kept on playing (I did sign up for ADV Cup but got knocked out by fakes r1) but since it was a team tour I didn't want to risk dragging down other players due to lack of commitment.

CALLOUS As the defending tournament champion, do you feel you have a target on your back or you're under more pressure than the other players? Does this affect your preparation or approach to any given match or the tournament as a whole?

COWBOY DAN There may be a target on my back, not sure that's up to the other players in the tour. I think it would be foolish to spend more time on me than any other player. Everyone in the tour has what it takes to win and I was just the one who got the right combination of luck, match ups and not fucking up at the wrong time to see it all the way through last year. Personally I'm honored just to be in the tour and get a chance to play high level matches with good players so I'm just going to have fun with it. The more pressure I put on myself the worse I'll do.

CALLOUS What can you tell us about your general approach to high level tournament matches? How do you plan to replicate your success from last year?

COWBOY DAN I'm not the biggest prepper out there usually I'll do a search of what my opponents have been running recently and will put together my team's list based on that + what I've felt comfortable using at that time so I don't fall in to a horribly bad match up, but I'm a big proponent of the idea that a good all around team will generally do better than a tailor made one. Fishing for specific match ups is a bit risky for me but more so than that, a good all around team is one you'll be able to practice with a lot more effectively. Knowing the ins and outs of your team and how it deals with various threats is an important part of being successful with it and if you build specifically for one person you won't be able to get that intense level of practice.

CALLOUS Which player in this tournament would you least want to play against and why?

COWBOY DAN If you're asking who I think I'm most likely to lose to, it's hard to say, lots of good players in this tour. Fakes destroyed me in r1 of cup so there's a bit of pressure I think to not do as badly against him if we play again but I'm also looking forward to the match so I can hopefully redeem myself. All in all though I'm not too worried about getting knocked out, if it happens it happens, any match I win is gravy. What I actually don't look forward to is people who bitch and moan about the game.

CALLOUS Any predictions for a favorite or two that you feel have a great chance to go deep in this tour?

COWBOY DAN I honestly haven't been keeping up too much with the community recently so I don't know who's really been on a tear lately. This is Linear's tour so I would be surprised if he doesn't go pretty deep, Golden Sun has also been tearing it up on ladder recently too from what I've seen so I'm interested in watching him here. Honestly though this tour is anyone's game. There's very few player match ups I can see having clear predictions.

COWBOY DAN Just that I'm happy this is back! Look forward to playing and watching all the narrated games.

vapicuno, hclat, Alice and 2 others like this.
  7. CALLOUS

CALLOUS While you're certainly very accomplished in ADV, in recent years you've heavily played other tiers, such as BW, in major tournaments. However, recently, it appears you've regained an interest in ADV. What brings you back to the tier and to this tournament?

RORO I'd say I started enjoying the tier some more around one year ago with the 4th ADV Cup. I was having a good run in it and I enjoyed building / playing in the tier, as well as assisting Ojama in the World Cup. Unfortunately my run was cut short but at least my love for the tier was rekindled. Fast forward a few months ago, I had some freetime and I felt like I wanted to spend some of it on playing Pokemon. I decided to start laddering in ADV OU, because it was my favorite tier at the moment and I had heard about the competitiveness of its ladder. Followed the Classic and its 5th ADV Cup as well as the World Cup, which were more opportunities for me to play ADV on the big stage. Currently, I'm having fun playing Pokemon in general and ADV in particular, which is why I didn't hesitate much to join this tournament :)

CALLOUS You played in the first Callous Invitational and exited with an 0-2 match record. What's your plan this time around for a better result?

RORO It's gonna sound like an excuse, but back then I wasn't rly in the best mood Pokemon-wise, which impacted heavily how I was viewing the tournament and how seriously I'd take my games. I know a true champ isnt affected by these things, but it just is the case for me, my drive and emotions often play in my results. Anyway, the situation isn't the same now, and hopefully it'll show in my results. However, I have to mention that even if I went 0-2, luck played a huge factor in that early elimination. I hope it won't be against me again should I play close games.

RORO Soulwind because we faced each other enough recently :p I'm looking to play strong players so I wouldn't mind, if anything the opposite, being paired against the most rated players, even if it means a higher risk of losing. There are some players I'd like to avoid for different reasons that I don't wanna mention right now :p

RORO There are two ADVers I respect a ton for their consistency and grasp of the metagame, and they are Astamatitos and Curve. I'd expect them to make a deep run. Dekzeh is one of my favorite player to date, but his playstyle/teams arent as consistent, not to mention his usual problems with "motivation"/scheduling. Finally, you can always rely on BKC to come up with tried & true teams which he knows the ins & outs of, which goes a long way in making a deep run, especially coupled with his general prowess.

RORO I'm really glad to see an old gen like ADV being so lively atm. The ladder and the community Discord are popping and this tournament is something amazing in every aspect of the tier's growth. Quality games between great players and specialists, as well as a great showcase of the gen for anyone havin interest in learning about it or getting into it.

vapicuno, Gacu, hclat and 3 others like this.
  8. Sadlysius

Sadlysius Member

9. SamuelBest

SamuelBest Moderator

10. CALLOUS

11. CALLOUS

CALLOUS- You chose to sit out of huge tournaments last year, including Callous Invitational 2 and SPL. What brings you back for this tour?

ASTAMATITOS- I chose to sit out out of the major tournaments this year to minimize distractions and focus on writing my thesis. I'm equally busy these days as real-life commitments naturally increase but I've also missed competing again and being in the spotlight. The Callous Invitational brings together the elite of the ADV playerbase as well as the great all-around players that don't necessarily main the tier. This makes for interesting developments and it gets very exciting waiting to see what players have come up with in terms of new tech and strategies. This prospect was enticing enough for me to play again.

CALLOUS- Which player in this tournament would you least want to play against and why?

ASTAMATITOS- I would have to say UD and BKC. I talk with these guys on the daily basis discussing my games, ADV teams and life in general and as such they know what kind of lineups I'm into, the ways I like to play certain sequences, my recent techs etc. All in all, it makes for a lot of second-guessing and it's a headache I'd rather not having to deal with!

CALLOUS- Somehow, despite being over a decade old, ADV keeps changing and evolving. For you, what are some things that stand out as different from when you last played the tier competitively?

ASTAMATITOS- ADV's been amazing in that regard! The old mechanics are partially to blame: Initially, sub blocking spin in NetBattle made superman teams really viable with Flygon and VILtar being the team's premier spin blockers (haha). When the mechanic got debugged this brought forth the rise of Pursuit Tyranitar and the Forretress teams, a measure to deal with the rise of Gengar as a spinblocker. Come 2014 the restalk mechanics were also fixed which drastically reduced the effectiveness of restalk pokes and brought forth the rise of the spikes protox teams, exemplified by BKC's skarmag team for instance in 2016 and sets like protox rachi/pert/skarm. I think in recent times we've been seeing two trends being on the rise as a response. The refresh mons (Claydol, Milotic, Swampert) which counteract toxic and the Zapdos offense teams which ensure Spikes are never laid on the field early on.

Myself, I've been following ADV closely despite not being at the centre of the scene and it doesn't seem drastically different to last year's. The metagame is still quite offense-based which should make for some amazing, high-octane, games.

CALLOUS- Any predictions for a favorite or two that you feel have a great chance to go deep in this tour?

ASTAMATITOS- Linear is bound to be making a good run given how talented he is. Mcmeghan has been practicing his ADV on the ladder and he's on fire at the moment coming off with an ADV Cup win. We had a two-month long 'king of the hill' kind of thing going on on ladder earlier this year which goes to show that he is staying in form. Undisputed didn't have a good showing in the last two Callous tours but he's a formidable opponent to face. He hasn't played last year in major tours either so I'm interested to see what he is up to. BKC is always a favorite to make deep runs and he is not the type of opponent you should be sleeping on. I'm also interested to see ABR's take on the tier, he's had some really nice showings in Classic playoffs this year.

CALLOUS- Anything else you'd like to say before the tour begins?

ASTAMATITOS- I wanted to say a big thank you on behalf of myself and the rest of the guys for returning to the scene and reinforcing what is an amazing old gen community. The ladder seems more active than ever, probably in anticipation of the event. I also wanted to say its been a blast being a part of the ADV Community and it makes up for having to deal with a lot of the toxicity that currently posseses the more generic smogon tour scene.

12. SamuelBest

SamuelBest Moderator

13. SamuelBest

SamuelBest Moderator

14. SamuelBest

SamuelBest Moderator

15. SamuelBest

SamuelBest Moderator

16. SamuelBest

SamuelBest Moderator

17. CALLOUS

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Sadlysius likes this.
  18. SamuelBest

SamuelBest Moderator

19. SamuelBest

SamuelBest Moderator

20. CALLOUS

21. Dizno

Dizno Grime lover Season Host

Player Interview - Hclat

Dizno-
    You played in SPL last year. How does this tournament compare to it in terms of importance to you?

Hclat- "Played" is a generous description for what I did in SPL. I mainly sat around the teamchat with triangles and pdc, bouncing ideas off of dice and zf that they didn't really use. I did get in for one adv game, in which I nobly saved Kevin Garrett from an 0-6 record, and a game of dpp, where I focused more on trolling the gamechat than deciding my moves. On the other hand, Callous cup kind of brings together a bunch of elements of pokemon that make it really fun to play: Firstly, it's been said a million times, but the field is stacked, and being guaranteed at least 4 games against elite competition is a privilege in itself. Secondly, numerous users (Callous moreso than anyone else) have dedicated resources—time, energy, money—to giving the tournament visibility and hype. The video coverage and prize pool separate the tour from others, along with its exclusivity. Finally, I like how the tour is bo3/5, making room for risky team choices and room for adaptation, while lessening the impacts of matchup and hax. So in summary, I'm more excited for this tour than I have been for any other pokemon event before.

Dizno- You are notorious for using unmons and unsets on both ladder and in tours. What can we expect to see from you this time around?

Hclat- There's a pretty clear distinction in my mind between pure meme mons/sets, and non-standard ones that, in part due to their novelty, offer high upside or can cause opponents to misstep. I'll rule out mons like the pikachu, zangoose, and geodude i brought in this past PPL, but pretty much anything else I've used (except quick claw, RIP) is on the table.

Dizno- Some of the real legends of the tier are present for this tournament. Will your approach to the game change because of this? If so, how? If not, why not?

Hclat- Nah. I think that a good mental approach to competition in general focuses on one's own play moreso than opponents. Further, I think it can be scary for heavily-favored legends of the tier to go up against a loose cannon like myself, who couldn't care less how many spl wins someone has. No matter if I'm playing camerupt98 or astamatitos, their zapdos is still gonna die to rock slide. (All due respect to the goats of the tier and thank you for what y'all have taught me)

Dizno- Any predictions as to who will shine this year in Callous Cup?

Hclat- This is kind of a hard question, just due to the quality and depth of the field. (Other than myself of course) It's always hard to bet against BKC, Asta, and Undisputed, while the young guns like marcop, linear, and sunny are always threatening. I think if I had to put money down, though, the smart money is on linear.

Dizno- Finally, there is a large population of ladder players rooting for you to go far, have you got any special words for them?

Hclat- It’s cool to kinda have the role of ladder hero for this tour, especially since the previous ladder heroes, like linear, ud, and dan have either become less active or developed a history of undermining tournament integrity (I won’t say which has done which.) I try to make myself accessible to people on ladder who may not have connections with the elites of smogon, and in turn, it’s awesome and motivating to know there’s a group of people rooting for me to succeed.

22. CALLOUS

23. CALLOUS

CALLOUS- Congratulations on playing into the main event! For my largely ADV based audience, what can you tell us about yourself and your competitive Pokemon accomplishments?

CHARMFLASH- I've been playing competitive Pokemon casually for about 5 years. I was usually spending very few hours weekly on the ladder, doing various other things while playing and I've also had breaks that lasted for months. It was only about two years ago that I started seriously trying to get into the tournament scene and frequenting smogon. The first official smogon tournament I joined (bar a few random smogon tour weeks) was OST where I reached the semifinals, losing to SoulWind in a nail-biter. Since then I've been on the radar for team tournaments like SSD and SPL. SPL X has been the real break-through for me, since I managed to achieve a record of 7-3 (the 2nd best SM OU record) despite being ranked dead last in the power rankings.

CALLOUS- What made you have an interest in ADV in general and in trying to play in to this tournament?

CHARMFLASH- It was honestly a mix of getting burned out playing ORAS / SM OU exclusively and my regret of being unable to considerably help out my teammates outside of SM OU during SPL X. I was also already quite interested in GSC OU due to me learning that gen to fill in for Team Austria and finding out that I really enjoy the slower methodical pace. During SPL X I've played hundreds of GSC OU games with Fear so he can test teams but also because playing such a great sparring partner in a tier I really enjoyed was just insanely fun. After SPL I've tried looking a bit into BW/DPP/ADV (since I was already able to understand RBY to some degree) and I've participated in UU/RU/NU/PU PL also, doing pretty well in the ones I was frequently able to start in (7-3 UU 5-3 RU). What I'm getting at is I'm just trying to learn all lower tiers and old gens so I can become a formidable teammate during team tournaments as well as a stronger Pokemon player overall.

CALLOUS- How do you expect to do in this tournament?

CHARMFLASH- I dont really like setting an upper bar, I am aiming for the win and see how far I can actually go. I'm aware that I'm a huge underdog, there are a ton of insanely strong people who also main ADV in this tournament and I'm honestly looking forward to facing them, but if I survive the first few rounds and get a bit more practice in this tier I am confident that I can potentially win against anyone.

CALLOUS- Do you build at all in ADV? If not, how do you plan to overcome that obstacle?

CHARMFLASH- I actually built one of the teams I used so far, it was the Meta/Jolt/Cloy/Lax/Tar/Gar offense I used in g1 vs. Sadlysius. It may very well have been done before, but I wouldnt know, its simply something I built myself since I wanted to use the Jolt+Cloyster core as well as Lax as the special sponge. Besides that, at least for now, I've been picking teams that have mons/cores/structures I like the look of from the tons of teams my friends have been so kind to share them with me. Those friends of mine are pretty good at ADV so I'll probably be fine in that regard no matter how much I decide to build myself, but I'm insanely picky when it comes to teams and have been building for myself in pretty much any tier I touch once I feel comfortable so we'll see.

CALLOUS- Anything else you’d like to say?

CHARMFLASH- I'd like to thank you for giving me the oppertunity to participate in play-ins and I'm looking forward to be playing some quality Pokemon against the very best in a skillful tier I've just recently discovered. I quite dislike the absence of Choice Scarf in a tier that unlike GSC doesn't have 252 EV's in every bulk stat no matter the Pokemon but the speed boosting threats are reasonably manageable and I really like all the other aspects of this tier such as the Spikes wars, PP management and powerful booms, it really rewards good play. Can't wait for the tournament to start :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Sadlysius and thelinearcurve like this.
  24. CALLOUS

CALLOUS- For a lot of people outside of the ADV circle you may be someone our audience is not familiar with. What can you tell us about yourself?

LYCOMEDES- I started off playing Ruby/FireRed and making some teams I brought to local tournaments. I remember DDMence, DDGyara, and Breloom were my favorite mons. I discovered Netbattle in 2004 (I was 11 at the time) and was quite active there, though I wasn't involved in the tournament scene. After Netbattle died I quit for a while. In early 2018 I discovered Showdown and took up ADV again. I never got into any non-ADV gen.

CALLOUS- Within the ADV circle, however, you’re most definitely one of the fan favorites in this tournament. Why do you think that is and how do you plan to make the fans happy?

LYCOMEDES- Shortly after entering the tournament circuit I delivered some strong results in PPL and Mossdeep Cup, and my series against dice in the last Callous Invitational was quite popular. I'm known for some unorthodox teams and playstyles, along with wielding SkarmBliss variants competently. Some of my games in the last Callous Invitational were uninspired and uninspiring. I hope to bring well thought out and creative teams and gameplans this time. That's what makes this game enjoyable.

CALLOUS- What’s the strongest part of your ADV game? What is the X factor that gives you the edge against some of the huge names in this tour?

LYCOMEDES- I've learned a lot from extensive building and testing on Netbattle and Showdown, along with playing and observing tournaments, so I have the knowledge needed to bring out unconvential strategies that might break (or counter) established patterns in the tour metagame. I'm mostly known for offensive teams that aim to run through standard defensive cores, but I can mix up my playstyle. I'm confident in my ability to identify a path to victory in almost any matchup, and take the lead.

CALLOUS- Any predictions regarding players, other than yourself, that you expect to make a deep run?

LYCOMEDES- Asta and Linear are both very talented and have a wealth of experience with a variety of playstyles. Watch out for Fear as well; though he's not known as an ADV main he's an intelligent player who makes solid team choices and reads.

LYCOMEDES- Thanks to Callous for returning to the scene with another Invitational. I view this as the most prestigious event in ADV. If you win this tour, you're the best of the best. I'm hoping for some good matches.

25. CALLOUS

CALLOUS- Congratulations on playing into the main event! For my largely ADV based audience, what can you tell us about yourself and your competitive Pokemon accomplishments?

ZOMOG- Well first, thank you for the opportunity to let me play in a qualifier for this tournament! I have not made any name for myself in adv yet and the only "tour experience" I could even say I have is from playing two seasons of ROAPL on Smogon. I am much more known as a current gen OU main over on Smogon, and I just recently won world cup with my team as well as Smogon Tournament #26. I've been playing this game since about 2013 and I've always had a slight fascination with the older gens but never really felt an opportunity to get into playing them.

CALLOUS- What made you have an interest in ADV in general and in trying to play in to this tournament?

ZOMOG- To be frank, above any interest in specific tiers, I am really just here to be a competitor. I love all aspects of competition and something like an ADV tour is just a new mountain to try climbing. Once I realized it'd be possible to get myself a slot in the tournament, I started practicing with my mainer friends and laddering a bit to get more familiar with the tier than I already was.

CALLOUS- How do you expect to do in this tournament?

ZOMOG- I think I will win my R1 game and then be knocked into losers in R2. I hope I'm wrong though. I would say that, since I am new to the tier, I often struggle in the long-game matchups that come frequently in games from this generation, and I wouldn't be surprised if my opponents begin to exploit that weakness.

CALLOUS- Do you build at all in ADV? If not, how do you plan to overcome that obstacle?

ZOMOG- I do! But for the most part, I primarily piggy-back ideas off a couple friends of mine also in the tournament and rehash other teams I see from replays. I generally avoid starting from scratch in tiers I don't have a plethora of knowledge in. I think that it won't be a disadvantage.

ZOMOG- I am just happy to have a chance to show that I am a great player regardless of tier, and I hope I put on some good performances!

Sadlysius and thelinearcurve like this.
  26. CALLOUS

CALLOUS- You’re known as a very versatile player who has had success in a number of tiers, notably ORAS, LC and of course this tournament last year. These days, what interests you in Pokemon and what are you putting your time into?

STARMASTER- I’ve mostly been playing SM, ORAS and ADV (OU) recently. These are probably the tiers I enjoy and play the most in tours. SM for the upcoming snake, ORAS in wcop and ADV is probably just my favorite tier competitively and I’m looking forward to having fun in this tour. I also fucking love the ou blitz ladder too and that’s been a lot of fun and a very cool addition.

CALLOUS- You have a known, and admitted to, history of ghosting in tournament play and you were tour banned on Smogon for a time. What would you say to players who perhaps have a bit of a stigma towards you because of this?

STARMASTER- I don’t really particularly care if people have a stigma since I’ve never cared about public perception in a place like this. Ghosting in a lot of situations is less about the competitive advantage and more about it just being really fun to fuck around and play in call. It’s also a lot more prevalent than people think it is (especially in team tours where we’ve seen some very obvious cases as recently as wcop) but most people just don’t get turned in.

CALLOUS- You made money in this tournament last year. How are you going to do it again?

STARMASTER- Well there’s no secret really. Last year I just focused on being diverse with my team choices to avoid being counterteamed and what not and obviously tried to play as well as I could. I’m big on testing stuff to get a feel for it before using it in a game and that definitely helps me too. So yea, just trying to build good varied stuff and play as well as I can.

CALLOUS- Any predictions for players, other than yourself, who you expect to make a deep run?

STARMASTER- A lot of players in this field have the potential to go far ofc but I’d say the favorites probably have to be Linear, Asta and Roro.

STARMASTER- Nothing in particular. Thanks to you for hosting again and to everyone who donated to the event.

Dizno and Sadlysius like this.
  27. CALLOUS

28. CALLOUS

29. CALLOUS

30. Sadlysius

Sadlysius Member

31. Ryan Zom

Ryan Zom Member

Sadlysius likes this.
  32. Sadlysius

Sadlysius Member

33. CALLOUS

RULING REGARDING GOLDEN SUN/HCLAT G3 TIE CONTROVERSY

In game three of their round 1 set Golden Sun and Hclat came to a late game situation over 100 turns into the game where both players felt their best play- the play that has the highest percentage chance to result in them not losing- was to switch out on any given turn, and therefore Hclat offered a tie and to play a Game 4 and Golden Sun accepted. They did indeed proceed to play a fourth game and there was a winner, but unless I were viewing this as a bribery/collusion type of situation, which I currently have absolutely zero evidence or reason to believe, the result of this fourth game is irrelevant. The question is whether or not this Game 3 mutually agreed upon tie should be allowed to stand and what specifically should have happened in that situation.

First of all it should be noted that for this specific tournament I did not have a written out rule prior to this match regarding exactly what should happen or what is or is not allowed in this kind of situation. This was intentional, not an oversight, because it is my belief that these things MUST be handled on a case by case basis by default because it is impossible to define and enforce any kind of concrete rule. Even if, for example, I were to write a very straightforward rule such as “Ties are not allowed in any match for any reason. All games MUST be played out to completion”, while the rule is certainly simple enough to understand, the problem lies with its enforcement. If we encounter a situation like this one where both players genuinely believe- whether they’re right or whether they’re wrong- that their best course of action is to switch on every turn, even if I were to tell them to continue playing for the next five hours if both players refuse to do anything other than switch this will still not result in a resolution. To break this, I’d have to step in and force the players to make certain moves, which is an extremely slippery slope I’m simply not comfortable going down.

In this specific situation a proper resolution to the game **was** possible. This situation was not an unavoidable draw. There were paths either player could have taken- though those paths required taking risks- that could have resulted in that player’s victory. Here’s the problem- if both players felt they had routes- I’ll choose to call them 25% chance to win and 75% chance to lose lines of play for simplicity’s sake- whereas simply switching continuously is very safe and it makes your OPPONENT gamble on the 25/75 instead of you, it is reasonable that both players would want to make the safer play and make their opponent take the unfavorable risk instead of them. This goes back to the problem mentioned in the previous paragraph- if neither player thinks it’s in their best interest to take the risk, and if I’m not going to step in and force either player to do so, which I do not think is fair, what should happen? In this specific instance I feel the draw was a bit premature and I would have liked to have seen the game play out a little longer. However, this does not get around the issue where even if i had told them “You must play this out for 100 more turns” if they’re both going to do nothing but switch that wouldn’t actually solve anything.

At the end of the day while I quite dislike situations like this and while I’d strongly prefer players do everything they can within reason to play out matches to a proper end, in this particular instance for all of the following reasons- I have no reason to believe any bribery or collusion was in play here, the draw was mutually agreed upon with absolutely zero pushing, arguing or resistance, the fact that no written rule as to what to do in this situation was in place and the fact that both players can make arguments that I deem reasonable as to why they believed switching as opposed to making a high risk/high reward play in an attempt to win the game was in their best interest- no penalties will be imposed upon either player, the result will stand and the winner of the fourth game, who I’m not naming for spoiler reasons, will win the set “2–1”.

Sadlysius likes this.
  34. Sadlysius

Sadlysius Member

35. Dizno

Dizno Grime lover Season Host

36. Sadlysius

Sadlysius Member

37. SamuelBest

SamuelBest Moderator

38. SamuelBest

SamuelBest Moderator

39. SamuelBest