1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

RBY OU / 1U (OverUsed) Blizzard ban on Tauros?

Discussion in 'Analysis and Research' started by Duke Groundrunner, Nov 8, 2019 at 4:39 AM.

1. Duke Groundrunner

Duke Groundrunner Member

After spending over a year away from pokemon perfect I have skimmed many new discussions.
    When I came across the suggested bannings of various big 4s i.e. Chansey, Snorlax, and Tauros it got the rusty gears turning in my head.
    I believe it was peasounay who wrote the suggestion, since the Chansey and Snorlax ban didn't seem to go well, that maybe just maybe Tauros was the problem. I couldn't find that particular discussion again for some reason and don't remember the date stamp on it, but was wondering if the ban was tried out and how it went. Also, if it didn't go that well,what thoughts would be on banning blizzard for Tauros. Would it open up the tier at all? The first and most obvious thing to me that comes to mind is golem and rhydon being turned loose in a major way. Tauros would be forced to EQ those guys making it a 3 turn effort to off either of them. If memory serves me right, maybe even 4 turns to KO golem depending on damage rolls. Hoping to start a fun/ fruitful discussion. Cheers

Edit: after writing this I did find that peasounay did post this subject under the "tiers" forum whilst I was scanning through chat and analysis. Turns out it was from 2017 . But still I am curious to hear how the ban went or if it ever was tried.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 5:11 AM
    marcoasd likes this.
  2. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END. Member

Complex bans are generally strongly frowned upon. That way lies madness.

Also, the chance to fail to 3HKO Golem with Tauros EQ is 0.04%. You're probably thinking of the 25.4% chance to fail to 3HKO Rhydon that way.

3. Duke Groundrunner

Duke Groundrunner Member

Yea I knew it was one or the other.
    Also it seemed they were worried banning Tauros would cause a chain ban. But I never saw any discussions on how the Tauros ban went. I get you on complex bans but sometimes like for swift swim rain dance in later generations it just had to be done.
    Maybe giving Tauros a better check in goldon would make things interesting.
    Switching into bull body slams.would be great without fearing a 2hko blizzard. Or ohko crits next turn.

4. samy0w

samy0w Member

Ye I really doubt that a Blizz ban on Tauros will happen, since its a complex ban and blablabla. Banning Tauros completely? Kangash will probably replace it, its slower yes but the crit rate is still a huge threat

5. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END. Member

Rhydon's bulkier on both sides than Golem, and hits harder physically. Golem's advantages are speed and Explosion.
    Eh, Tauros is one of the cases where it's not actually a huge distortion of the meta. Banning Chansey might have that effect, but I'm not seeing it from Tauros.
    Swift Swim/Drizzle ban is not in place on PP and likely never will be. It got instituted on Smogon because Smogon's ban process is on crack.
    Kangaskhan has about 12% less special bulk than Tauros. This is a huge deal because Tauros only barely avoids 2HKO from a rather long list of strong special attacks (Exeggutor's and Alakazam's Psychic, Zapdos' Thunderbolt, Victreebel's Razor Leaf, Kingler's Crabhammer, Cloyster's, Jynx's, and Lapras' Blizzard); Kanga is usually or always 2HKOed by all of those.

Kangaskhan also has a much weaker Blizzard. It still covers GolDon (as it learns Surf), but it's much easier to switch into a predicted Kanga Surf than it is a predicted Tauros Blizzard.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 2:07 AM
  6. samy0w

samy0w Member

I dont really get your point. Tauros doesnt want to take most of these mons on anyway unless you are relying on crits or parahax or smth like that. Best thing I can think of is that u want to get rid of Zapdos because u have a water in your 6th slot

7. marcoasd

marcoasd P.I.P. PLAY IN PEACE Host Emeritus

I like this.

I suggest trying bans on Tauros' Blizzard and Snorlax's Reflect (Harden, or whatever pops up) combined. Still don't know what to do with Chansey's Reflect (Defense Curl and so on).

Reflect Snorlax is still the issue, so banning Reflect for Snorlax is the first step, and having Rock-Types that can be effective even if crippled after switching into Snorlax would fix the issue we've faced when we were testing Reflect bans for Snorlax: Physlax was a beast and we were still switching Normal-Types into Normal-Types.