1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Pokemon Perfect, Guest!

Our motto is Pokémon Practice makes Pokémon Perfect. We are a competitive-battling community that encourages the development of players and their ideas, and fosters positive and respectful attitudes. We love Collaboration (working together), Competition (getting stronger), and Communication (being informed).

You are free to post everywhere, unless the thread explicitly states otherwise (usually in the case of a vote), and there are no private forums whatsoever. We just require you to not make multiple accounts. Let us greet you by posting a thread in the Introduce Yourself! forum.

3. Tiers

View Introduction to Tiers if you don't know what tiers are. Pokémon Perfect tiers are named differently to those on Smogon. A numeral followed by the letter U, e.g. 1U, 2U, 3U, represents a main tier on Pokémon Perfect – the '1' of '1U' representing the tier level. For a tier to be a main tier, it must be balanced (nothing is too powerful and game-breaking) and diverse enough (include a variety of Pokémon and strategies). A numeral followed by the letter P, e.g. 1P, 2P, 3P contain all Pokémon that are deemed overpowered in the respective 1U, 2U, 3U tiers. The 1st tier level allows Pokémon that are banned in the 2nd level, and this process continues down. Read the tier list, and in-depth explanations of the tiers naming system and tiering system. Also check out our analyses for all tiers.

4. Tournaments

RBY 1U Seasons and its master tournaments are responsible for starting up the community, and tournaments continue to play a big role in maintaining interest in the forums. Signups Open gives you a list of tournaments you can join, and Ongoing lists tournaments that you might want to follow. Additionally, you can tap to find out approximate Schedules for tournaments.

For historical threads, check out Signups Closed, Finished tournaments and Results. We also have Nominations, Voting and Event threads for exhibitions – past and present.

Community 5 things you don't know about me

Discussion in 'Chat' started by Sceptross, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Sceptross

Sceptross Host Emeritus

Hey guys :)

This thread (or something similar) is a common sight in online forums. It basically consists of each person saying 5 things about themselves that are not known of the general public.

Ideally these are not related to competitive Pokemon, so that we get to know the person behind the nickname better.

I'll start myself:

1) I'm short (well not that short for a Portuguese guy but we tend to be short compared to everyone else). I am 173 cm tall, which converts to 5'7" in inferior units :p )

2) I'm very frugal. I basically only buy what I need or what I know will bring me actual satisfaction. This allows me to save money easily and I am able to keep money without having the urge to spend it for a lot of time.

3) I speedran Pokemon before, with respectable results, and although I quit speedrunning, I currently play randomized bingo races on a semi regular basis as a "replacement". I also have very good in game knowledge, specially of the first 3 gens, with a lot of it coming from my time as a speedrunner.

4) I am socially liberal and financially conservative. I generally am ok with things as long as they dont directly interfere with other people's business (e.g. homossexuality, euthanasia, etc).

5) When I was young it was always very hard for me to decide what I wanted to do in the future because I'd love to do a lot of things (I love teaching, psychology, business management, economics, law, computers and the list goes on haha). Even now I see myself doing lots of things.

Prof. J, Diophantine, Alice and 10 others like this.
  2. Dizno

Dizno Grime lover Season Host

Yo,

I saw Scept's post, and thought, "This is a pretty cool thread idea.", so here's my 2 cents.

1) I do boxing. I have always had a passion for fighting. My friends and I buy every UFC card and love to watch MMA in general. It's a huge part of my life.

2) I'm from Galway in Ireland. (Yes, the place that Ed Sheeran song is about). It's a pretty small city, but there's an extremely festive and endearing atmosphere here.

3) I got into Pokemon initially when a neighbour handed me down his old games, Red and Yellow. I played yellow religiously, and to this day, it remains my favourite game of all time.

It wasn't until about 3 years ago, that I got into playing Emerald as a ROM on a mobile. I enjoyed the Battle Factory, and craved for more competitiveness. I began watching Youtube videos of guys like Xenon, Yus, and Callous, which led me here.

4) I love sociology, psychology and philosophy. I have watched hundreds of hours of debates on various social topics. Everything public policy concerns really. I cannot get enough of intellectuals such as Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris. I spend a good deal of time admiring the cognitive prowess of philosophers like Voltaire and Epicurus too.

5) Politically, I find it hard to locate where I am on the compass. I don't find the terms "left" and "right" intellectually honest when describing myself, for the most part. I sometimes enjoy listening to anyone as far left as Kyle Kulinski, or as far right as Ben Shapiro, but for general purposes I would say my sentiments lie somewhere in between those two.

I had some fun with this. Would love to hear other takes on the thread.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  3. Lutra

Lutra Site Founder Owner

1. Watching: I have 271 anime, as of writing, on my completed anime list, including 95 TV series.
    (of 80+ different franchises)

2. Collecting: There was a time with my 3DS that I used to buy every game that was released on the eshop. I managed to fill my 32gb sd card, that and shovelware got too much, so I decided to stop collecting every game. I also have pokemon rouge; pokemon blue (jp); pokemon snap, red, yellow, blue (english europe) factory sealed.

3. Competitive: There was a game called Puddle on the Wii U shop, where I rose to have a total game time in the global top 5.

Related to this, I’ve tried to get optimum scores in levels of other games since then, like nes remix, super mario bros. U, cut the rope, hill climb racing and so I’ve thought a bit about what makes good proofs and how watermarking helps. This was my hobby before RBY seasons.

4. Coding: I only sat down and learned about regular expressions earlier this year or end of last year, despite having good uses for them in the years of tournaments, spreadsheets, chat-based scripting and a few web pages. I’ve used PHP, JavaScript, and things similar to Visual Basic (Netbattle scripting & spreadsheets).

5. Internet: I have 2x 4G data plans, so I don’t have to use the terrible wifi that terminates in my bedroom. I did order and am awaiting a 15m ethernet cable recently though, and a router, to finally see if I can get good wifi in my room.

Christos, Alice, Sceptross and 4 others like this.
  4. Lojh

Lojh Above Average GSCer Member

1) I’m born in 2004
    2) my favorite pokemon is sneasel
    3) I’m from NorCal
    4) The Golden Gate Bridge is SUPER uncool if you ever visit me and ask me to take you there i will personally lynch you and sell your organs on the black market
    5) My favorite sports are track and field and cross country. (Running)

5. Ortheore

Ortheore Host Emeritus

1- I can dunk. In the past when I actually trained I could do a 360 dunk as well, though now I'd have difficulty with it. FYI I'm 1.97m tall, if you ask what that is in feet and inches I will find you and make you listen to this song for 24 hours straight

2- I call myself Australian as I've lived here since I was four but I support the (T)All Blacks, as I was born in NZ and I like to be a bit contrarian.

3- I practically never watch anything. Don't watch TV, haven't seen much anime outside of Studio Ghibli and Ghost in the Shell, don't watch sports or esports, aside from the occasional Smash highlight video.

4- I loathe the actual pokemon games. I find them to be thoroughly tedious, repetitive and the difficulty curve is the most absurd thing ever- being soporifically easy before shooting through the roof for the E4... except for the most recent games, where it's still stupidly easy

5- I'm really into metal, and would some day like to write a song even though I don't play an instrument and lack any knowledge of musical theory

6. GGFan

GGFan Member

1. Godfather of the Pokemon speed run.

Back when speedrunning Pokemon was viewed as unfeasible and impractical, I completed the first recognized speed run of Pokemon Blue around this time 14 years ago, when I beat the game with a time of 3:07. I used Squirtle as my main fighter along with Zapdos at the endgame. My method was copied for several years until people started using Nidoran M.

2. Meisterschaft winner.

I competed in the German circuit for five years, back when the independent scene of competitive Pokemon was at its peak. These days, the Italians might have the strongest regional circuit, but the Germans reigned supreme for a decade. Perhaps my crowning achievement was winning the 2007 Pokemonexperte Meisterschaft, which was one of the biggest events in the Netbattle era. The top nine ranked players in the organzation fought against each other in five tiers: RBY OU, GSC OU, ADV OU, ADV UU, and the defunct ADV 202. I was tied for 1st with my rival, Majin Tupac Z, finishing with a W/L record of 21-14. While Majin was declared the winner because he finished with more points (players were awarded points based on how many Pokemon they had left remaining), this system was scrutinized due to how unfair it was. Moreover, I beat Majin in our set, making me the true winner in my eyes and others'.

3. Vagabond--not just in Pokemon.

In the Pokemon realm I'm known as the vagabond who played in various regional circuits before finally settling down in Pokemon Perfect. In real life I have traveled to over 50 countries and have lived in five. The time I spent in the Brazilian and German circuits served as the impetus for my growing desire to see the world, as I got to experience first-hand different languages and, to some extent, different cultures. However, it wasn't enough to write in these languages and communicate with these people with a keyboard--I wanted the real deal.

4. Nearly perfect

Before getting into Pokemon I used to be an avid bowler. I started when I was 10 and played in leagues with my two older brothers. In 2002, just before I entered the competitive scene in Pokemon, I bowled a 276 (the highest score you can get is 300, which is called a perfect game). I stopped because I started developing wrist pain and bowling is an expensive hobby.

5. Cold builds character

I'm very fond of cold weather to the point where I dread the arrival of summer. I can't stand the heat, the sun, and humidity. I'll never understand why people complain about being able to go outside when it's cold. If you dress appropriately, cold weather isn't a problem; however, you can be naked in summer and you'll not only still be hot, but get skin cancer as well.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  7. Disaster Area

Disaster Area Little Ball of Furr and Power Member

i'm pretty sure you guys wish you knew less about me

Diophantine, Gacu, Chrysalis and 5 others like this.
  8. Christos

Christos Against all odds ! Member

1. I love reading. For as long as I can remember, I've always been reading something. As a child, I would to delve into encyclopedias and science magazines (for children, obviously) in order to satisfy my curiosity about our world. I'd also read lots of comics and fiction books. As a teenager, my interests shifted. Instead of trying to understand how nature works, I became more interested in the affairs of people and there was a period of my life that I wanted to become a historian. Later on, my growing interest in mathematics would take everything by storm and would eventually change my plans. At that period of my life, I would mostly read Greek literature. Now, as a young adult, I mostly read classic literature and I find it truly fascinating. Reading those masterpieces truly broadens one's horizons. I'm also about to get my degree in mathematics, which has been a goal of mine for quite some years, so I've been studying a lot recently (those who know me a bit better must have noticed the massive drop in my activity lately). What comes next ? I'm not sure, so I won't say anything but I don't really like long-term planning anyway. If anything, life has a unique tendency to mess with people's plans...

2. Apart from Greek and English, I also speak a little bit of French. However, the lack of everyday practice has been a big obstacle for me throughout the years, so I never became truly fluent with French. I'd also like to learn Italian and Spanish at some point, but what happens with my French is a definitely a deterrent factor.

3. I used to play the violin, albeit with little success as I wasn't patient enough to endure the early stages of practice. When you're not playing it well, this instrument moans a lot :eyes: Patience is key and I didn't have it, unfortunately. I want to have a go at learning to play the piano in the future, or maybe the (acoustic) guitar. At the moment, I don't play any instrument, but I've been a member of a choir for the past four years and it has been a wonderful experience. It's time very well spent. Obviously, I also listen to music with my favourite genres being rock, the blues, jazz and classical music. As a teenager, I would also listen to metal a lot, but my interested died down as I grew older.

4. I'm a sports enthusiast and a quite competitive guy. My favourite sports are football ("soccer") , basketball, tennis and table tennis. I've played and watched lots of football and basketball in my life, being my favourite sports. I like watching tennis (especially the G.O.A.T Roger Federer), but I never really had the chance to play it as it's quite an expensive sport for working class guys like me :eyes: Instead, I've played lots of table tennis but never really bothered watching games (not like they broadcast them, but still..). Recently, I've got interested in gymnastics as I find the sport to be quite spectacular. However, it's quite unlikely that I'd ever be able to exercise this sport considering my size (1.90 cm tall) :p

5. [​IMG]
      I made this reference before my RBY set against eb0la for PPL3 (fun fact: he missed an explosion during that game :eyes:.). At that time, my PPL manager and friend marco would seemingly ignore the reference, but he'd come back a couple of months later with his arsenal full of yugioh memes to satirize the luck-infected game we all insist to play and treat too seriously. Let's all play in peace ;)

9. ErPeris

ErPeris Do or do not. There is no try. Season Host

1. Music

I love music. Rock/Metal are my favourite music genres, but i use to listen to classic music, blues, rap... almost everything. Bands like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Megadeth, Nirvana, AC/DC, Pantera, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, etc are my favourite ones.

2. Football player

I used to play for AS Roma when i was younger, but then i broke almost every bone of my body (i think around 11 bones). Rip dreams...

3. Engines

In addition to soccer, i love engines too! I am a huge Ferrari fan and Michael Schumacher was my favourite driver.

4. Animals

I have a reptile in my bedroom. I love all the animals, but currently i only have one: a leopard gecko called Khaleesi (yeah, i love Game of Thrones too ahah).

5. Japan

One of my dreams is to visit Japan: I am very fascinated by their culture. I hope one day I have enough money to make this trip.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  10. Diophantine

Diophantine Taiga Member

I'm a bit late but here we go.

1. Jobs: I was a model (did some clothing catalogues, adverts and even some stock images lol), then a waiter at a Japanese restaurant (where I was nominated for best front of house in the town's restaurant competition lol), now a stock trader at an investment bank. I want to be a teacher at some point, though maybe when I'm older.

2. Ethnic diversity: I am half-Japanese and half-English but in my close family there is Jamaican (sisters and step father), Ugandan, Ghanaian (both from Godmother) and Croatian (cousins) heritage.

3. Sports: I play football (soccer) and I am a black belt in Shotokan karate. I represented my university playing futsal in national tournaments. I also played for a professional youth team in London when I was a kid - QPR. I don't have a "broke my leg" story - I just gave it up to play it less seriously for more fun (and I probably wouldn't have made pro lol).

4. Mathematics: as my name suggests, I am a big fan of maths. I used to compete in national Olympiads pretty religiously, and I just graduated with a degree in maths. My favourite field is number theory (hence the username), but combinatorics and geometry are also pretty fun. Caclulus ain't bad either. I didn't really enjoy studying statistics though.

5. Music: I listen to a very wide range of music and I also used to make music when I was younger. I like most forms of hip-hop and rock, jazz, reggae, classical, the list goes on. When I go partying I don't care about the quality of music though - just wanna get up and dance. I always feel like making music again, maybe I'll restart.

11. Prof. J

Prof. J Member

I like these threads

1.) Game Dev: I'm a big virtual reality nerd, right now trying to learn how to make a game. I am a programmer by profession, but learning how to make a proper VR experience entails so much more than coding; a bunch of things that I don't dabble in. I'm in this for the long haul, trying to get an attractive looking demo done within the next year.

2.) Art: I also draw. No one expects me to have artistic talent because I'm a programmer, but I still remember all I learned from 4 years of art in high school, oh so long ago. I like still life and sketching things from reference. I'm also really surprised how all my artist friends don't know how to draw with pencil and paper, or have never done still life at all. It takes so many people an hour or so to make a cartoony drawing in Photoshop but I can sketch a page of Hokuto No Ken in ~15 minutes. I have no idea how to use Photoshop and it looks like witchcraft to me.

3.) Fitness: I used to have pecs at one point ;_;

4.) Music: I only listen to classic rock and video game music for the most part; I don't know why but I prefer a lot of instrumental. The big exceptions are rap songs I grew up listening to.

5.) Animals: I love cats, but I'm allergic to them so I never want them near me and avoid them like the plague. I also complain when applicable about how stubborn they are and keep knocking stuff over. So to the average joe I appear to hate cats, but that's not how it is.